[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Updated trajectory ratings since MU joined new Big East  (Read 11746 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Updated trajectory ratings since MU joined new Big East
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2020, 11:49:40 PM »
Buzz’s teams looked fresh and ready in the NCAA tournament.

Wojo’s teams have looked tired and unprepared.

Except when they collapsed a 15 point lead in the second half to Washington.  Etc....  memories are so fragile with age.

I guess being up at half against South Carolina and very much in the game until the final seven minutes means we weren’t prepared...LOL.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:51:31 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2020, 11:51:28 PM »
Okay--helping you wonks. 

Wonks!?  And you attached phone pics?  Screenshot attached.  And see your PMs.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2020, 11:53:05 PM »
Okay--helping you wonks.  Inserting polynomial trends (most appropriate, order adjusted based on turning points).  Using KPom ranks back to 1997 at season end. Season to date in 2020.

• Versus BE entry:  Average/flat momentum.  Holding our own
  • Over time: Holding our own but slightly soft on momentum with those great NCAA years.

In other words, Wojo holding serve but he promised us the Golden Ticket.  Some are patient.  Some are impatient.  Wojo has MU right in-between.

He promised us the Golden Ticket....source please.

Hell, MU didn’t promise it either.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »
This banner is brought to you by Arby's.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2020, 08:38:58 AM »
This banner is brought to you by Arby's.

Don't you need an 'banner asterisk' with the footnote "Except 2018, which was totally expected so stop pointing it out"

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2020, 08:50:36 AM »
Don't you need an 'banner asterisk' with the footnote "Except 2018, which was totally expected so stop pointing it out"

Agreed.

And I probably should have matched the font to this one that is hung in MU's banner rack, sponsored by Arby's:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2011/01/derailed-mu-looks-to-get-back-on-track.html

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »
Topper, did you really stop buying tickets?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2020, 09:25:44 AM »
Topper, did you really stop buying tickets?

Yes with an asterisk.   After 19 years of season tickets, we dropped to a mini-plan this year, knowingly blowing most of our blue/gold points.   Probably should have gone to single game tickets, but Mrs. Hilltopper couldn't quit cold turkey, so here we are.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 09:40:43 AM »
Yes with an asterisk.   After 19 years of season tickets, we dropped to a mini-plan this year, knowingly blowing most of our blue/gold points.   Probably should have gone to single game tickets, but Mrs. Hilltopper couldn't quit cold turkey, so here we are.

Good for Mrs. Hilltopper!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2020, 09:44:19 AM »
Good for Mrs. Hilltopper!

I was ready to drop a few seasons ago.  You know what broke her spirit?  Hausershima.  (And being married to me, tid-dit-boom.)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 09:48:30 AM »

He promised us the Golden Ticket....source please.

Hell, MU didn’t promise it either.

You are right. We were promised 9-9 and 5th place in the BE.

#wineveryday

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2020, 10:06:52 AM »
I see that everyone has thoroughly enjoyed the 2 for 5 menu at Arby's. Dauster is right...we truly are a miserable fanbase. But you love what you love.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2020, 10:12:41 AM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2020, 10:11:35 PM »

Thank goodness for Mrs Topper

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2020, 10:12:59 PM »
You are right. We were promised 9-9 and 5th place in the BE.

#wineveryday

I think he promised a competitive program and playing within the rules, representing the university well, graduating players, competing for conference titles, etc. 

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2020, 10:29:28 PM »
Except when they collapsed a 15 point lead in the second half to Washington.  Etc....  memories are so fragile with age.

I guess being up at half against South Carolina and very much in the game until the final seven minutes means we weren’t prepared...LOL.

Or when they lost 5 out of the last 7 (4 out of the last 4).

Two of those were losses to the “we should never lose to” Providence and St John’s teams. And the two wins were against 3-15 DePaul in overtime and a mediocre Georgetown team.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2020, 06:51:27 AM »

Couldn’t you have bought a single $125 seat to keep those points alive incase you want to purchase in the future?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2020, 07:54:24 AM »

Two of those were losses to the “we should never lose to” Providence and St John’s teams. And the two wins were against 3-15 DePaul in overtime and a mediocre Georgetown team.

Or stepping on the line against Mizzou.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2020, 08:15:26 AM »

13 NCAA tournament games in 6 years, 8 of them wins. One large lead blown (it’s called an outlier) in a 2 point loss in a game that we were a 1 point favorite in.

Versus

2 NCAA tournament games in 5 years, 0 of them wins. A 20 point loss in a pick ‘em game (one in which you admitted we ran out of gas) and a 19 point loss as a 4.5 point favorite.

Whose memory is “fragile with age”? You have your biases, I have the facts. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2020, 08:27:15 AM »
13 NCAA tournament games in 6 years, 8 of them wins. One large lead blown (it’s called an outlier) in a 2 point loss in a game that we were a 1 point favorite in.

Versus

2 NCAA tournament games in 5 years, 0 of them wins. A 20 point loss in a pick ‘em game (one in which you admitted we ran out of gas) and a 19 point loss as a 4.5 point favorite.

Whose memory is “fragile with age”? You have your biases, I have the facts. Rinse, wash, repeat.

You can't say every game they looked fresh in the wins though. They certainly didn't against Utah St, Murray St or Davidson. Add those to Washington, Mizzou, UNC, Syracuse (2013) and Florida as tired and unprepared.

They looked fresh and ready against Miami, Xavier, BYU, and Syracuse (2011)

Don't remember the Butler game very well as I was hammered so no opinion. And I know you'll respond with location of Murray St or Dom coming back from injury. But then why disqualify location of South Carolina game and Lazar stepping on the line is a mental error that had nothing to do with "the return"
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 08:36:36 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2020, 08:30:46 AM »
I find it interesting that the numbers currently show us doing better this year than last, yet some think that Powell might beat Markus for BE POY because we aren't doing well enough for Markus to win.

If Markus won last season with those team numbers, he can certainly win it this year with better overall team numbers, and absolutely devastating personal stats.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2020, 08:32:46 AM »

Memories are a one way street around here....remember that  8-)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2020, 08:34:24 AM »
You can't say every game they looked fresh in the wins though. They certainly didn't against Utah St, Murray St or Davidson. Add those to Washington, Mizzou, UNC, Syracuse (2013) and Florida as tired and unprepared.

They looked fresh and ready against Miami, Xavier, BYU, and Syracuse (2011)

Yup, but that would be counter to the agenda point he is failing to make that Buzz’steams wer always fresh and prepared at the end and Wojo’s weren’t....facts be damned.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »

Versus

Two completely different situations. Buzz was a very good coach placed in a great situation. He walked into a team with 3 Sr leaders. One an NBA Allstar. One MUs all time leading scorer before Markus and one the best PG we have had for awhile. The fourth starter was also an NBA player. Coming off the bench was a future NBA all star.

His second year he had Lazar, Butler and DJO. Though he had no center they played well enough to get to the NCAA tournament. Great job.

Following year he had Butler, Crowder, DJO, Blue. Give Buzz credit for recruiting a great.

Buzz’s first two years were impacted by Crean. Wojo’s first two were impacted by Buzz. Key question. Knowing what Buzz did with a better team the year before if MU hired Buzz Williams into the same situation as Wojo would he have been as good as he was when MU actually hired him?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2020, 09:34:42 AM »
Two completely different situations. Buzz was a very good coach placed in a great situation. He walked into a team with 3 Sr leaders. One an NBA Allstar. One MUs all time leading scorer before Markus and one the best PG we have had for awhile. The fourth starter was also an NBA player. Coming off the bench was a future NBA all star.

His second year he had Lazar, Butler and DJO. Though he had no center they played well enough to get to the NCAA tournament. Great job.

Following year he had Butler, Crowder, DJO, Blue. Give Buzz credit for recruiting a great.

Buzz’s first two years were impacted by Crean. Wojo’s first two were impacted by Buzz. Key question. Knowing what Buzz did with a better team the year before if MU hired Buzz Williams into the same situation as Wojo would he have been as good as he was when MU actually hired him?

Buzz inherited a 2-16 VaTech program ranked 166th in the country and 2 years later had it ranked higher than Wojo had MU.  Meanwhile Wojo took over a program that made the NCAA 8 of the last 9 seasons, and had 5 underclassmen, Top 100 players on the roster he inherited.  Not the players fault Wojo was a rookie coach, totally in over his head.

As for MU - Buzz inherited 1-year of great talent.  Year 2?  He found a way to make the tournament with a 7 man roster, which included  two guys under 5'9" - Mo and Cubillian. 

So, to answer your question, yes, I think Buzz Williams would have done just fine if he walked into the situation Wojo inherited.  Why are we even having this conversation?  It's no contest.