[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East is a great conference  (Read 10865 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Big East is a great conference
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2020, 08:42:48 PM »
While we will still get a bump from UConn, it would be nice to be entering the market again in the near term in order to maximize payouts.

Agreed

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2020, 09:09:46 PM »
Best thing about the Big East?

Xavier is in and Dayton isn’t.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2020, 09:24:11 PM »
Incorrect.  As you know, or should know, not all things become public....how long has the sign stealing situation been going on but only recently came to light?  How many things NEVER come to light...you are better than this and smarter than this.  Not lying, you just don’t like it.

You’ve spent the last 5 and a half years slandering the 2nd most successful coach in Marquette history. You claim to have evidence of high crimes and misdemeanors committed by him but can’t produce evidence of it. Your defense of your defamations is “not all things become public”.

Meanwhile in another thread you whine like a child over something said about your idol Mike Trout. Want the people who besmirched his good name punished for what you are sure is defamation.

Two scoops of hypocrisy topped with irony. They call it a “Chico” at my 31 Flavors.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2020, 11:20:41 PM »
Regardless of who ultimately gets majority credit for where the chips fell in 2012, Marquette and the C7 hit a GRAND SLAM in realignment.

2011 was a very scary time, affiliation-wise.  Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia had all left.  Football aside (while acknowledging football drove the realignment bus), BE basketball was gutted.  Louisville, UConn and Notre Dame were all looking to get out.  What was the league's future looking like? Hello Boise State and San Diego State as football only members.  Welcome Houston, SMU, Memphis, Temple and UCF for all sports (including basketball).  The day it was announced Tulane and ECU were being added, I believed we were being relegated to mid-major status.

All of the investments Marquette made (especially post Final Four 2003) would have been flushed down the drain.  The consistent 10k+ crowds the BE had regularly been getting would have been erased.  The NE based home to the league would have been taken away (nothing says NYC like all of the Southern, non-basketball programs added).

The fact that the C7 managed to band together, find a partner in Fox, retain MSG as a tournament site AND keep the Big East brand and basketball history is nothing short of miraculous.  I see what has occurred to UConn being "stuck behind" as a geographic outlier and mismatch in the American, and I shutter to wonder what might have happened if the C7 remained with football schools.  We'd likely be looking at Dallas as our tournament site this year, along with numerous schools that just don't prioritize basketball with empty arenas and continuous unfulfilled potential.

I'm overjoyed UConn is returning.  I'm grateful our schools stuck together in tumultuous and uncertain times.  I'm thrilled we added three schools with similar fan bases that are as passionate about men's basketball.

It takes a village to make something of this magnitude to succeed. Larry, Pilarz, Broeker, et al each played significant and historical roles bringing this together. We should all be thankful that MU remains in a power basketball conference, with resources and associations that allow us to compete at a national level annually.

+1000

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2020, 11:37:49 PM »
You’ve spent the last 5 and a half years slandering the 2nd most successful coach in Marquette history. You claim to have evidence of high crimes and misdemeanors committed by him but can’t produce evidence of it. Your defense of your defamations is “not all things become public”.

Meanwhile in another thread you whine like a child over something said about your idol Mike Trout. Want the people who besmirched his good name punished for what you are sure is defamation.

Two scoops of hypocrisy topped with irony. They call it a “Chico” at my 31 Flavors.

I haven’t seen Cheeks say anything “slanderous” about Crean, so I don’t know what you’re rambling on about like Abe Simpson here.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2020, 11:45:40 PM »

Nope.

First off, Trout was accused publicly of something specific in nature.  I have done no such thing...good try, though.

High crimes and misdemeanors...LOL....you watching a lot of news lately Lenny?

Keep trying old boy. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2020, 05:04:36 AM »
Best thing about the Big East?

Xavier is in and Dayton isn’t.

ABD

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2020, 07:37:36 AM »
I just wish the contract for tv was up next year, the ecosystem is such a mess right now there is a lot of uncertainty.  I’d like to see the conference lock in the revenue now while it is somewhat in tact.
With UConn joining, how do we know Val is not redoing the TV deal. Adding UConn gives FOX Sports 20 more conference games and FOX Sports loses 20 cupcake games. Also, many are not talking about the value the women's team brings. UConn's non conference games they host that would have been on FS1 this year are Baylor, Oregon, Tennessee and Team USA.

FOX Sports did add years on with MLB, so I can see this done for the Big East Conference. We shall see this summer.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 07:53:36 AM »
With UConn joining, how do we know Val is not redoing the TV deal. Adding UConn gives FOX Sports 20 more conference games and FOX Sports loses 20 cupcake games. Also, many are not talking about the value the women's team brings. UConn's non conference games they host that would have been on FS1 this year are Baylor, Oregon, Tennessee and Team USA.

FOX Sports did add years on with MLB, so I can see this done for the Big East Conference. We shall see this summer.
Could be a win win situation . Fox can lock up Big East rights for a longer term , Big East secures improved contract.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »

Nope.

First off, Trout was accused publicly of something specific in nature.  I have done no such thing...good try, though.

Nothing specific from you because you have nothing specific. You’re all about character assassination by innuendo. It’s the coward’s way - leaves no opportunity for the accused to refute because there are no facts, only feelings (“squirmy”) and promises of facts to follow that never materialize.

So, no facts and no expiration date. Much worse than what’s been done to your boy. Despicable.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 09:05:17 AM »

It’s possible and with the league as hot as it is now, I wouldn’t blame her for trying to reopen it.  Lock it in now if she can.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2020, 09:06:54 AM »
Nothing specific from you because you have nothing specific. You’re all about character assassination by innuendo. It’s the coward’s way - leaves no opportunity for the accused to refute because there are no facts, only feelings (“squirmy”) and promises of facts to follow that never materialize.

So, no facts and no expiration date. Much worse than what’s been done to your boy. Despicable.

Incorrect.  I’m glad you are defending your lover’s honor, however.  Chivalry isn’t dead.  Did the bat signal go off again for you?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2020, 09:31:55 AM »
Could be a win win situation . Fox can lock up Big East rights for a longer term , Big East secures improved contract.
Parts of the Mountain West Conference in football and basketball is coming to FS1 and even games on FS2 this fall. I also hear rumors FOX will go after the NHL. Fox will not to lose 100 plus games of the Big East Conference over a 18 week period.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »
Incorrect.  I’m glad you are defending your lover’s honor, however.  Chivalry isn’t dead.  Did the bat signal go off again for you?

“Incorrect”? That’s all (nothing) you’ve got?

Bat signal? LOL. If I replied to every cheap shot you take at Buzz I’d have hundreds more posts on Scoop. Maybe thousands. I ignore the vast majority of them - noting each of your hypocrisies would be a full time job.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »
First, Lenny and Cheeks, please take this to private messages and stop ruining another thread.  I'm begging you.

Second, maybe Mr. Nielson is best to answer this, but I thought adding another school triggered an automatic revenue increase so that each team is still getting the same dollar figure.  No more / no less?    Wasn't that already built in?   Or is the value of UConn high enough that they can reopen negotiations despite the contract already specifying what the increase would be?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »
First, Lenny and Cheeks, please take this to private messages and stop ruining another thread.  I'm begging you.

First, (and last) this thread was totally off the rails loooong before I ever posted in it. I’M BEGGING YOU, please read it before reflexively coming after me.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »
Regardless of who ultimately gets majority credit for where the chips fell in 2012, Marquette and the C7 hit a GRAND SLAM in realignment.

2011 was a very scary time, affiliation-wise.  Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia had all left.  Football aside (while acknowledging football drove the realignment bus), BE basketball was gutted.  Louisville, UConn and Notre Dame were all looking to get out.  What was the league's future looking like? Hello Boise State and San Diego State as football only members.  Welcome Houston, SMU, Memphis, Temple and UCF for all sports (including basketball).  The day it was announced Tulane and ECU were being added, I believed we were being relegated to mid-major status.

All of the investments Marquette made (especially post Final Four 2003) would have been flushed down the drain.  The consistent 10k+ crowds the BE had regularly been getting would have been erased.  The NE based home to the league would have been taken away (nothing says NYC like all of the Southern, non-basketball programs added).

The fact that the C7 managed to band together, find a partner in Fox, retain MSG as a tournament site AND keep the Big East brand and basketball history is nothing short of miraculous.  I see what has occurred to UConn being "stuck behind" as a geographic outlier and mismatch in the American, and I shutter to wonder what might have happened if the C7 remained with football schools.  We'd likely be looking at Dallas as our tournament site this year, along with numerous schools that just don't prioritize basketball with empty arenas and continuous unfulfilled potential.

I'm overjoyed UConn is returning.  I'm grateful our schools stuck together in tumultuous and uncertain times.  I'm thrilled we added three schools with similar fan bases that are as passionate about men's basketball.

It takes a village to make something of this magnitude to succeed. Larry, Pilarz, Broeker, et al each played significant and historical roles bringing this together. We should all be thankful that MU remains in a power basketball conference, with resources and associations that allow us to compete at a national level annually.

Touch ‘em all, kid.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »
First, (and last) this thread was totally off the rails loooong before I ever posted in it. I’M BEGGING YOU, please read it before reflexively coming after me.

Closing in on 10,000, Lenny.  make it a good one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
Closing in on 10,000, Lenny.  make it a good one.

I couldn’t think of a better use of that 10,000th post than some primo McGuire Era stories for Al’s Night.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »
nm

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »
There is a Common Denominator to threads going off the rails.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »
There is a Common Denominator to threads going off the rails.

They were all posted on MUScoop!?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »
They were all posted on MUScoop!?
Nah, then it would be in lower case.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:39:56 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2020, 12:40:23 PM »
Touch ‘em all, kid.

Thanks for quoting this. I missed it the first time because of how unreadable the thread was. That was a terrifying time. Watching the trash list of new conference teams, feeling like we were existing at football's whim, and the slow trickle of great opponents out was so depressing. I'm so grateful for where we are. This league is great.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2020, 03:26:21 PM »
Thanks for quoting this. I missed it the first time because of how unreadable the thread was. That was a terrifying time. Watching the trash list of new conference teams, feeling like we were existing at football's whim, and the slow trickle of great opponents out was so depressing. I'm so grateful for where we are. This league is great.

I was right with you at that point in time. I honestly feared for Marquettes BB future. These are high times indeed.