[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East is a great conference  (Read 10864 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Big East is a great conference
« on: January 19, 2020, 06:52:16 AM »
I kind of questioned the quality level when the former Big East football schools left.  We know Brent did and he bailed.
But now, looking at the full stadiums with energetic fans for all the schools and seeing high level basketball being played.
This is exciting stuff.  New rivalries are being formed.  The Big East conference is quite resilient and its rebirth has been a great thing.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: Big East is a great conference
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 07:32:15 AM »
Absolutely.  This is a great conference and only getting better adding UCONN next year.  Recruiting has been very solid.  Need a little more success in the NCAA tournament by more than one team (Villanova) and you couldn’t ask for more.  We are in a unique position as a basketball only Power Conference.   It’s gaining traction by the year.  Hope the next TV contract reflects that and we’ll be in a great position for the next 10-15 years.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 02:47:15 PM »
I love this conference.  Buzz can suck it.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »
Yes. Was pretty much a no-brainer to put this league together seeing what was happening with consolidation of football schools through conference expansion.

The fact we play all teams twice is an awesome feature of NBE. Anyone know if that will continue once UCONN added?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 03:01:45 PM »
Yes. Was pretty much a no-brainer to put this league together seeing what was happening with consolidation of football schools through conference expansion.

The fact we play all teams twice is an awesome feature of NBE. Anyone know if that will continue once UCONN added?

Yes
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 03:10:38 PM »
What's become of the Big East really ended up as the best case scenario for Marquette and the rest of the Catholic 7.
People like to bash Larry Williams - often with good reason - but he was among the driving forces behind the C7 sticking together and forming the new Big East.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 03:21:51 PM »
What's become of the Big East really ended up as the best case scenario for Marquette and the rest of the Catholic 7.
People like to bash Larry Williams - often with good reason - but he was among the driving forces behind the C7 sticking together and forming the new Big East.

The plan was well in place, led by Broeker and Nova AD when the Sheriff arrived on the scene. Where Lars gets credit is on the TV deal. Where Pilarz gets credit is corralling Georgetown and maneuvering Creighton (conference expansion more into the West) into the deal. Lars also did a great job on the exit negotiations.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 03:35:47 PM »
Yes

Awesome. 20 game conference schedule. Love it.

panda

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 03:40:37 PM »
Larry Williams is a confirmed clown and we’re better off with him gone. Having said that, Curb premieres tonight (!), his legacy will forever be remembered and appreciated for helping MU and the BE get off the ground and help turn it into what it is today.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 03:46:58 PM »
The plan was well in place, led by Broeker and Nova AD when the Sheriff arrived on the scene. Where Lars gets credit is on the TV deal. Where Pilarz gets credit is corralling Georgetown and maneuvering Creighton (conference expansion more into the West) into the deal. Lars also did a great job on the exit negotiations.

Not as I remember it.
As I recall, Big East leadership wanted to keep football, inviting the likes of Tulane, East Carolina and San Diego State, among others. That was in November 2012, about a year after Williams was hired by Marquette ... which was right about the time of the Big East implosion. Williams was among the loudest C7 voices opposed to those football invites, which were the catalyst for the C7 schools leaving and forming their own conference.
For your timeline to work, Broeker and Nova's AD were working to form the new Big East before the implosion ... which is possible, but I think your you're not giving Larry his due.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:57:56 PM by Pakuni »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 03:56:17 PM »

20 game round robin schedule
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 04:16:20 PM »
Not as I remember it.
As I recall, Big East leadership wanted to keep football, inviting the likes of Tulane, East Carolina and San Diego State, among others. That was in November 2012, about a year after Williams was hired by Marquette ... which was right about the time of the Big East implosion. Williams was among the loudest C7 voices opposed to those football invites, which were the catalyst for the C7 schools leaving and forming their own conference.
For your timeline to work, Broeker and Nova's AD were working to form the new Big East before the implosion ... which is possible, but I think your you're not giving Larry his due.

That is correct, and having known Mike Aresco (Commissioner of the AAC) for more than 15 years, he can confirm it.  Williams was critical for the new Big East in a number of ways.  I think Dr is trying to give him some due here, but so many of one group cannot stand that he messed with someone’s happiness that it pains people to give him his proper accolades.  Dr. went farther than most and I give him credit for that.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 04:24:14 PM »
That is correct, and having known Mike Aresco (Commissioner of the AAC) for more than 15 years, he can confirm it.  Williams was critical for the new Big East in a number of ways.  I think Dr is trying to give him some due here, but so many of one group cannot stand that he messed with someone’s happiness that it pains people to give him his proper accolades.  Dr. went farther than most and I give him credit for that.

LW deserves a lot of credit for the NBE. But he was a terrible AD.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 04:27:54 PM »
LW deserves a lot of credit for the NBE. But he was a terrible AD.

He’s been an AD at three stops now, with plenty of accomplishments at all of them.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2020, 04:32:08 PM »
He’s been an AD at three stops now, with plenty of accomplishments at all of them.

Good for Larry. He was terrible at Marquette. Which is why he was fired.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 04:42:27 PM »

+1000
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 04:47:50 PM »

Terrible seems a bit harsh.
The success of the NBE has a greater long-term impact on Marquette hoops than his mismanaging of Buzz. The launch of the lacrosse program was a big success.
Williams also made some blunders, and I didn't mourn his departure, but it wasn't all bad and some things were very good.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »
Not as I remember it.

The Big East imploded in September of 2011. Larry Williams started at Marquette on January 2, 2012. Marquette announced the start of their lacrosse programs in 2010. Nova announced they would upgrade their football program in April 2011. West Virginia announced they were leaving in October 2011. In December 2011, Boise St., San Diego State we’re joining BE football, while UCF, Houston and SMU were added.

Then Larry showed up and just had a magical plan for the new Big East migration? First, he had to publicly question why MU added LAX, though. It was well clear to the Catholic 8 that football was going to rule the conference and diminish the basketball value and they needed to control their destiny so a plan was hatched.

As I said, Larry did a great job on media and the exit...but MU and Nova already were well along on their migration plan for the current set-up. It took a year though for longtime partners ND and Louisville to chart their exits (and UCONN who failed). You can believe it or not, but to think MU didn’t have plans in place is not giving credit to Broeker or Nova to get the Catholic 8 on board. The first thing Pilarz did when he took over was to put Broeker on point. Why?  He had a plan.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 05:18:25 PM »

He wasn’t terrible, he had the audacity of making some people adhere to rules.  You and others have a myopic view and not big picture, much of which we are enjoying huge benefits of right now.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2020, 05:27:36 PM »
The Big East imploded in September of 2011. Larry Williams started at Marquette on January 2, 2012. Marquette announced the start of their lacrosse programs in 2010. Nova announced they would upgrade their football program in April 2011. West Virginia announced they were leaving in October 2011. In December 2011, Boise St., San Diego State we’re joining BE football, while UCF, Houston and SMU were added.

Then Larry showed up and just had a magical plan for the new Big East migration? First, he had to publicly question why MU added LAX, though. It was well clear to the Catholic 8 that football was going to rule the conference and diminish the basketball value and they needed to control their destiny so a plan was hatched.

As I said, Larry did a great job on media and the exit...but MU and Nova already were well along on their migration plan for the current set-up. It took a year though for longtime partners ND and Louisville to chart their exits (and UCONN who failed). You can believe it or not, but to think MU didn’t have plans in place is not giving credit to Broeker or Nova to get the Catholic 8 on board. The first thing Pilarz did when he took over was to put Broeker on point. Why?  He had a plan.

Much of what you have here is true, but let’s get a little crisper on the Williams dates.

Williams started January 2012, he was named AD in early December....his interview process and what he showed d he to his legal background and “plan” started a few months before that.  He was chosen for a reason. 

We all get it, he messed with precious’ happiness. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »
He wasn’t terrible, he had the audacity of making some people adhere to rules.  You and others have a myopic view and not big picture, much of which we are enjoying huge benefits of right now.

He was terrible because he mismanaged the basketball program. He tried to kill a mosquito with a shotgun.  He could have managed that situation much better.

And that’s not myopic. That’s reality  What’s myopic is you claiming some other shoe would drop. Only to have nothing to happen. Because nothing was there to begin with and/or you’re a liar.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2020, 05:33:01 PM »
Much of what you have here is true, but let’s get a little crisper on the Williams dates.

Williams started January 2012, he was named AD in early December....his interview process and what he showed d he to his legal background and “plan” started a few months before that.  He was chosen for a reason. 

Waiting for the other shoe to drop still. You’re just a dishonest, lying troll who no one with a brain should pay attention to.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2020, 05:37:39 PM »
Waiting for the other shoe to drop still. You’re just a dishonest, lying troll who no one with a brain should pay attention to.

C'mon now. Be better than that.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2020, 05:39:08 PM »
C'mon now. Be better than that.

Better than telling the truth?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 05:40:08 PM »
lying troll who no one with a brain should pay attention to.

Does anyone actually pay attention?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 05:46:13 PM »
Better than telling the truth?

Better than calling names.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »

It was answer as a, yes. Also, it kills two non conference games which is more than fine with me. Gives FOX Sports better games.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 05:50:23 PM »
Better than calling names.

🙄🙄🙄🙄

I guess I should be happy that you finally decided to moderate this place. Too bad you’re not addressing the real problem though.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2020, 05:57:01 PM »

So Larry Williams authored the plan for the NBE while he was being paid by another university? And he did it in a few weeks or did he author that plan before he was even interviewing for the job? Seriously, do you ever read what you write? You obviously don’t like Broeker.

Btw, since you asked Larry, was hired as he was Mary DiStanislao’s buddy from ND to be the new sherif in town.  She also happened to be Pilarz’s childhood friend. Funny how that works. All three collected severance packages from Marquette.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 05:57:10 PM »
🙄🙄🙄🙄

I guess I should be happy that you finally decided to moderate this place. Too bad you’re not addressing the real problem though.

WOW ! ! !   I guess he told u !!!  8-)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2020, 06:02:16 PM »
🙄🙄🙄🙄

Rocky.....you gonna take this?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »
Rocky.....you gonna take this?

Mods take a lot of lumps. We're tougher, and less volatile, than the average  fluffy blue monster.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2020, 06:08:20 PM »
Mods take a lot of lumps. We're tougher, and less volatile, than the average  fluffy blue monster.

Turning the TV to scoop. Much better then the packers

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »

Tougher=sleepy. Got it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2020, 06:12:23 PM »
So Larry Williams authored the plan for the NBE while he was being paid by another university? And he did it in a few weeks or did he author that plan before he was even interviewing for the job? Seriously, do you ever read what you write? You obviously don’t like Broeker.

Btw, since you asked Larry, was hired as he was Mary DiStanislao’s buddy from ND to be the new sherif in town.  She also happened to be Pilarz’s childhood friend. Funny how that works. All three collected severance packages from Marquette.

That’s not what I said and nor was the Big East plan completely authored in the timeline you had.  Williams did some good work, he did not do it all...many people involved including those you mentioned and those from outside MU.  You make it sound like the entire Big East plan was done by the time LW got there...that is inaccurate.

I have no problems with Broeker at all. 

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2013/12/14/5209696/marquette-athletic-director-vice-president-larry-williams-resigns-departs-quits-steps-down

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2020, 06:15:46 PM »

Nope.  Try to be honest, sometimes I a wrong.  There are folks here that know what I refer to that actually are in the business of sports, worked at MU, etc.  This isn’t NAIA / Div 3 nonsense in Indiana / Wisconsin and I’ll leave it at that.

panda

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2020, 06:16:09 PM »
It’s a real accomplishment to be asked to leave as an AD after a year and a half of duty. His bad far outshines his good.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
He was terrible because he mismanaged the basketball program. He tried to kill a mosquito with a shotgun.  He could have managed that situation much better.

And that’s not myopic. That’s reality  What’s myopic is you claiming some other shoe would drop. Only to have nothing to happen. Because nothing was there to begin with and/or you’re a liar.

Incorrect.  As you know, or should know, not all things become public....how long has the sign stealing situation been going on but only recently came to light?  How many things NEVER come to light...you are better than this and smarter than this.  Not lying, you just don’t like it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2020, 06:19:46 PM »
It’s a real accomplishment to be asked to leave as an AD after a year and a half of duty. His bad far outshines his good.

He was a black hole of AD’s, AINAh?

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2020, 06:26:41 PM »
He was a black hole of AD’s, AINAh?

You’re the Larry Willians of this board. Not a compliment, AINAh.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2020, 06:37:51 PM »
You’re the Larry Willians of this board. Not a compliment, AINAh.

I have my supporters and detractors...I am fine with that.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2020, 07:15:21 PM »
Regardless of who ultimately gets majority credit for where the chips fell in 2012, Marquette and the C7 hit a GRAND SLAM in realignment.

2011 was a very scary time, affiliation-wise.  Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia had all left.  Football aside (while acknowledging football drove the realignment bus), BE basketball was gutted.  Louisville, UConn and Notre Dame were all looking to get out.  What was the league's future looking like? Hello Boise State and San Diego State as football only members.  Welcome Houston, SMU, Memphis, Temple and UCF for all sports (including basketball).  The day it was announced Tulane and ECU were being added, I believed we were being relegated to mid-major status.

All of the investments Marquette made (especially post Final Four 2003) would have been flushed down the drain.  The consistent 10k+ crowds the BE had regularly been getting would have been erased.  The NE based home to the league would have been taken away (nothing says NYC like all of the Southern, non-basketball programs added).

The fact that the C7 managed to band together, find a partner in Fox, retain MSG as a tournament site AND keep the Big East brand and basketball history is nothing short of miraculous.  I see what has occurred to UConn being "stuck behind" as a geographic outlier and mismatch in the American, and I shutter to wonder what might have happened if the C7 remained with football schools.  We'd likely be looking at Dallas as our tournament site this year, along with numerous schools that just don't prioritize basketball with empty arenas and continuous unfulfilled potential.

I'm overjoyed UConn is returning.  I'm grateful our schools stuck together in tumultuous and uncertain times.  I'm thrilled we added three schools with similar fan bases that are as passionate about men's basketball.

It takes a village to make something of this magnitude to succeed. Larry, Pilarz, Broeker, et al each played significant and historical roles bringing this together. We should all be thankful that MU remains in a power basketball conference, with resources and associations that allow us to compete at a national level annually.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2020, 07:18:41 PM »
Regardless of who ultimately gets majority credit for where the chips fell in 2012, Marquette and the C7 hit a GRAND SLAM in realignment.

2011 was a very scary time, affiliation-wise.  Syracuse, Pittsburgh and West Virginia had all left.  Football aside (while acknowledging football drove the realignment bus), BE basketball was gutted.  Louisville, UConn and Notre Dame were all looking to get out.  What was the league's future looking like? Hello Boise State and San Diego State as football only members.  Welcome Houston, SMU, Memphis, Temple and UCF for all sports (including basketball).  The day it was announced Tulane and ECU were being added, I believed we were being relegated to mid-major status.

All of the investments Marquette made (especially post Final Four 2003) would have been flushed down the drain.  The consistent 10k+ crowds the BE had regularly been getting would have been erased.  The NE based home to the league would have been taken away (nothing says NYC like all of the Southern, non-basketball programs added).

The fact that the C7 managed to band together, find a partner in Fox, retain MSG as a tournament site AND keep the Big East brand and basketball history is nothing short of miraculous.  I see what has occurred to UConn being "stuck behind" as a geographic outlier and mismatch in the American, and I shutter to wonder what might have happened if the C7 remained with football schools.  We'd likely be looking at Dallas as our tournament site this year, along with numerous schools that just don't prioritize basketball with empty arenas and continuous unfulfilled potential.

I'm overjoyed UConn is returning.  I'm grateful our schools stuck together in tumultuous and uncertain times.  I'm thrilled we added three schools with similar fan bases that are as passionate about men's basketball.

It takes a village to make something of this magnitude to succeed. Larry, Pilarz, Broeker, et al each played significant and historical roles bringing this together. We should all be thankful that MU remains in a power basketball conference, with resources and associations that allow us to compete at a national level annually.

I just wish the contract for tv was up next year, the ecosystem is such a mess right now there is a lot of uncertainty.  I’d like to see the conference lock in the revenue now while it is somewhat in tact.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »

Thank you for this. Great explanation.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2020, 07:45:16 PM »
Let’s hope UCONN doesn’t revert to their ethically challenged ways, because that will make it difficult to compete with them.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »
I just wish the contract for tv was up next year, the ecosystem is such a mess right now there is a lot of uncertainty.  I’d like to see the conference lock in the revenue now while it is somewhat in tact.

Expect a bump in TV pay when UConn officially joins this summer.  We now have more content ti offer Fox, and more games/sessions to offer for the BET.  We also, by default, get an increased payout of we expanded to 11 or 12 members.

If the current landscape has shown anything, it's that leagues should not lock themselves in long term with a network. The B1G is choosing for shorter term deals to continually have periods of open negotiation.  The SEC will also be doing the same. 

The Big East entered into a 12 year deal with Fox to ensure stability and be financially secure moving forward.  With UConn, the league will likely have its longest period of sustained and continued membership in its history.  We have stability, security, visibility and the success.  We are in much better position today that in 2012.

Conversely, the American entered into a deal last year with ESPN for 12 years.  By the end of that deal, the B1G/SEC will be making $70 million annually and have had, likely two new contracts they have signed with networks.  At the end of the deal, the AAC will be making $8 million.

The P5/G5 split already happened, unofficially, in 2013.  It's why UConn is relinquishing its P5 dream and rejoining the Big East.  The massive G5 athletic budgets that are significantly subsidized will be interesting to watch in the coming years.  The revenues and payouts are just not the same, yet many are spending at similar levels.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »

Wen wuz da Tommy and Joanie Crean Memorial Soccer Complex announced, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2020, 08:23:22 PM »
Expect a bump in TV pay when UConn
If the current landscape has shown anything, it's that leagues should not lock themselves in long term with a network. The B1G is choosing for shorter term deals to continually have periods of open negotiation.  The SEC will also be doing the same. 

I don't mean to sound rude... Every 2 years is not always greater than the previous two years.  I get that it's been great for a long time now, but if you get a very fair long term deal, you take it.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2020, 08:36:33 PM »
I don't mean to sound rude... Every 2 years is not always greater than the previous two years.  I get that it's been great for a long time now, but if you get a very fair long term deal, you take it.

I agree.  I should have emphasized that the demand in viewership between content of the B1G/SEC is substantially different than that of the Big East.  They can afford to take deals that are shorter in length due to the incredibly strong audience numbers they pull.

While we will still get a bump from UConn, it would be nice to be entering the market again in the near term in order to maximize payouts. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2020, 08:42:48 PM »
While we will still get a bump from UConn, it would be nice to be entering the market again in the near term in order to maximize payouts.

Agreed

🏀

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2020, 09:09:46 PM »
Best thing about the Big East?

Xavier is in and Dayton isn’t.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2020, 09:24:11 PM »
Incorrect.  As you know, or should know, not all things become public....how long has the sign stealing situation been going on but only recently came to light?  How many things NEVER come to light...you are better than this and smarter than this.  Not lying, you just don’t like it.

You’ve spent the last 5 and a half years slandering the 2nd most successful coach in Marquette history. You claim to have evidence of high crimes and misdemeanors committed by him but can’t produce evidence of it. Your defense of your defamations is “not all things become public”.

Meanwhile in another thread you whine like a child over something said about your idol Mike Trout. Want the people who besmirched his good name punished for what you are sure is defamation.

Two scoops of hypocrisy topped with irony. They call it a “Chico” at my 31 Flavors.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2020, 11:20:41 PM »

+1000

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2020, 11:37:49 PM »
You’ve spent the last 5 and a half years slandering the 2nd most successful coach in Marquette history. You claim to have evidence of high crimes and misdemeanors committed by him but can’t produce evidence of it. Your defense of your defamations is “not all things become public”.

Meanwhile in another thread you whine like a child over something said about your idol Mike Trout. Want the people who besmirched his good name punished for what you are sure is defamation.

Two scoops of hypocrisy topped with irony. They call it a “Chico” at my 31 Flavors.

I haven’t seen Cheeks say anything “slanderous” about Crean, so I don’t know what you’re rambling on about like Abe Simpson here.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2020, 11:45:40 PM »

Nope.

First off, Trout was accused publicly of something specific in nature.  I have done no such thing...good try, though.

High crimes and misdemeanors...LOL....you watching a lot of news lately Lenny?

Keep trying old boy. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2020, 05:04:36 AM »
Best thing about the Big East?

Xavier is in and Dayton isn’t.

ABD

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2020, 07:37:36 AM »
With UConn joining, how do we know Val is not redoing the TV deal. Adding UConn gives FOX Sports 20 more conference games and FOX Sports loses 20 cupcake games. Also, many are not talking about the value the women's team brings. UConn's non conference games they host that would have been on FS1 this year are Baylor, Oregon, Tennessee and Team USA.

FOX Sports did add years on with MLB, so I can see this done for the Big East Conference. We shall see this summer.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 07:53:36 AM »
With UConn joining, how do we know Val is not redoing the TV deal. Adding UConn gives FOX Sports 20 more conference games and FOX Sports loses 20 cupcake games. Also, many are not talking about the value the women's team brings. UConn's non conference games they host that would have been on FS1 this year are Baylor, Oregon, Tennessee and Team USA.

FOX Sports did add years on with MLB, so I can see this done for the Big East Conference. We shall see this summer.
Could be a win win situation . Fox can lock up Big East rights for a longer term , Big East secures improved contract.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »

Nope.

First off, Trout was accused publicly of something specific in nature.  I have done no such thing...good try, though.

Nothing specific from you because you have nothing specific. You’re all about character assassination by innuendo. It’s the coward’s way - leaves no opportunity for the accused to refute because there are no facts, only feelings (“squirmy”) and promises of facts to follow that never materialize.

So, no facts and no expiration date. Much worse than what’s been done to your boy. Despicable.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 09:05:17 AM »

It’s possible and with the league as hot as it is now, I wouldn’t blame her for trying to reopen it.  Lock it in now if she can.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2020, 09:06:54 AM »
Nothing specific from you because you have nothing specific. You’re all about character assassination by innuendo. It’s the coward’s way - leaves no opportunity for the accused to refute because there are no facts, only feelings (“squirmy”) and promises of facts to follow that never materialize.

So, no facts and no expiration date. Much worse than what’s been done to your boy. Despicable.

Incorrect.  I’m glad you are defending your lover’s honor, however.  Chivalry isn’t dead.  Did the bat signal go off again for you?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2020, 09:31:55 AM »
Could be a win win situation . Fox can lock up Big East rights for a longer term , Big East secures improved contract.
Parts of the Mountain West Conference in football and basketball is coming to FS1 and even games on FS2 this fall. I also hear rumors FOX will go after the NHL. Fox will not to lose 100 plus games of the Big East Conference over a 18 week period.
-Bill Walton

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2020, 09:36:30 AM »
Incorrect.  I’m glad you are defending your lover’s honor, however.  Chivalry isn’t dead.  Did the bat signal go off again for you?

“Incorrect”? That’s all (nothing) you’ve got?

Bat signal? LOL. If I replied to every cheap shot you take at Buzz I’d have hundreds more posts on Scoop. Maybe thousands. I ignore the vast majority of them - noting each of your hypocrisies would be a full time job.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »
First, Lenny and Cheeks, please take this to private messages and stop ruining another thread.  I'm begging you.

Second, maybe Mr. Nielson is best to answer this, but I thought adding another school triggered an automatic revenue increase so that each team is still getting the same dollar figure.  No more / no less?    Wasn't that already built in?   Or is the value of UConn high enough that they can reopen negotiations despite the contract already specifying what the increase would be?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »
First, Lenny and Cheeks, please take this to private messages and stop ruining another thread.  I'm begging you.

First, (and last) this thread was totally off the rails loooong before I ever posted in it. I’M BEGGING YOU, please read it before reflexively coming after me.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2020, 11:23:49 AM »

Touch ‘em all, kid.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2020, 11:25:29 AM »
First, (and last) this thread was totally off the rails loooong before I ever posted in it. I’M BEGGING YOU, please read it before reflexively coming after me.

Closing in on 10,000, Lenny.  make it a good one.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
Closing in on 10,000, Lenny.  make it a good one.

I couldn’t think of a better use of that 10,000th post than some primo McGuire Era stories for Al’s Night.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »
nm

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »
There is a Common Denominator to threads going off the rails.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »
There is a Common Denominator to threads going off the rails.

They were all posted on MUScoop!?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2020, 12:38:14 PM »
They were all posted on MUScoop!?
Nah, then it would be in lower case.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 12:39:56 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2020, 12:40:23 PM »
Touch ‘em all, kid.

Thanks for quoting this. I missed it the first time because of how unreadable the thread was. That was a terrifying time. Watching the trash list of new conference teams, feeling like we were existing at football's whim, and the slow trickle of great opponents out was so depressing. I'm so grateful for where we are. This league is great.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2020, 03:26:21 PM »
Thanks for quoting this. I missed it the first time because of how unreadable the thread was. That was a terrifying time. Watching the trash list of new conference teams, feeling like we were existing at football's whim, and the slow trickle of great opponents out was so depressing. I'm so grateful for where we are. This league is great.

I was right with you at that point in time. I honestly feared for Marquettes BB future. These are high times indeed.

feedback