'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Is the regression on defense a blip, or sign of bigger issues?  (Read 2366 times)

PaintTouches

• All American
Marquette's win against Georgetown was only the 6th in Wojo's tenure when allowing opponents to shoot over and eFG% over 58%. But it's not an isolated event, the defense has been struggling for a while now, and I think this makes a good case of why. (And why it's not likely to change any time soon.)

https://painttouches.com/2020/01/20/is-the-regression-on-defense-a-blip-or-sign-of-bigger-issues/

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Georgetown has had three of their best offensive performances against MU over  past two seasons. Why? MU extends out and leaves open the dribble penetration open without rim protection as our bigs were drawn out to the perimeter. I think of the 9 MU fouls by our centers, 8 were outside the paint, iirc.

Creighton, with their small lineup, also drew our bigs out and just kept posting up Markus who had no double team help. Wojo wasn’t ready for that switch nor did he adjust. Maryland was similar. PC shot 36 free throws but they also were attacking the rim, but that created points in the paint for their bigs.

That said, we don’t have Rowsey to blame any more. Nova (and Jayce didn’t even play) and X were are best BE defensive games and I think our match-ups upcoming more match that footprint. So, I expect this improves

muguru

• All American
I keep banging this drum, and will continue to..want those numbers to improve?? Start playing more zone. Let's see how well teams get it in the paint then...answer...they won't very easily. Not only that but it helps save fouls on everyone, but most specifically Jayce and Theo.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
I'm not saying MU's defense hasn't softened a bit, but GU made a ton of well contested shots.  Felt that their offense was on more than MU's defense was off.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Elonsmusk

• All American
I'm not saying MU's defense hasn't softened a bit, but GU made a ton of well contested shots.  Felt that their offense was on more than MU's defense was off.

I agree.  They shot 15% better from 3pt line than their season average.  The shot 9-18 against us.  Plus those three made baskets by the freshman Wahab were all very well contested as were most of Yurtseven's.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Valid points regarding our defense but let's not read too much into Saturday's game. Georgetown's shots kept dropping. Give credit to Yurtseven for making a couple of difficult shots with Jayce draped all over him. They simply had a great shooting day. I'm certainly not denying your basic premise though- just not willing to be too critical of Marquette's defensive effort in the game.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Marcus92

• All American
We've seen some great performances on D from Marquette this season -- specifically, the Purdue and Villanova games. But the inconsistency is definitely an area of concern. It's hard to see Marquette challenging for a Big East title or a top 4 seed without shoring up things on the defensive end.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
I keep banging this drum, and will continue to..want those numbers to improve?? Start playing more zone. Let's see how well teams get it in the paint then...answer...they won't very easily. Not only that but it helps save fouls on everyone, but most specifically Jayce and Theo.

Yet almost every program runs a man to man as their base defense. One wonders how so many of the best coaches in the game fail to see that magic that is zone defense.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Yet almost every program runs a man to man as their base defense. One wonders how so many of the best coaches in the game fail to see that magic that is zone defense.

True, and I also believe Marquettes man defense is improving as guys get used to their minutes. Georgetown was on fire at home and could be an anomaly. StJ is another opportunity to evaluate the progress of the teams man defense. It should be interesting to see how Wojo decides to match up throughout the game.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
Georgetown has had three of their best offensive performances against MU over  past two seasons. Why? MU extends out and leaves open the dribble penetration open without rim protection as our bigs were drawn out to the perimeter. I think of the 9 MU fouls by our centers, 8 were outside the paint,

Not true.

Theo's shoulder "bump" against Yurtseven
Jayce getting his arms tangled up in the paint
Jayce bumping Yurtseven on an entry pass.
Theo's first foul "bumping" McClung under the hoop

Those are the ones I remember.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain

Can't tell if this is sarcasm or if you  think man-2-man is the way to go.

Personally I'd love to see us play a little more zone.

PaintTouches

• All American
Seeing a lot of Hoya-specific comments. Just to be clear, that was the catalyst for diving in. The results in the link are much broader.

Like this (noncon)

Vs this (BEast)

Against good or great teams, MU's 2pt FG% D turns from an asset to a liability. And TOs created, which were rare to start off with, become almost nonexistent. MU currently has the lowest TO rate of any MU team since at least 1997 at 16.4%. During conference play, it's at 12.6%. Add this all up with a pretty high Free Throw Rate and 5 less insurance fouls, you can see my concerns.   

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
I get the concerns, but I think it's largely because MU is prioritizing defending the 3 over the 2. There is an argument to be made that they shouldn't do that, especially against teams like X, Gtown, and St Johns who don't shoot the 3 well, but I get the defensive strategy.

Our biggest defensive concern is that our 4s (Cain and Bailey) aren't quick enough to guard the perimeter so they are prone to be driven on switches(cause we switch a lot....see no 3s policy) so when the attacker gets the corner on them Theo/Jayce are the next line of defense and teams are picking up fouls and/or dropping the ball off for easy buckets. If I'm adjusting anything I let the enemy 4s get their shots on the perimeter if they're going to and let Cain/Bailey go under the screens.

And I'm wholeheartedly against going zone unless it is under these three conditions:
-Markus is not in the game
-It is a 1-3-1 and we're going small(ie no Jayce or Theo)
-We're getting boat raced.

That's it, that's the list.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Seeing a lot of Hoya-specific comments. Just to be clear, that was the catalyst for diving in. The results in the link are much broader.

Like this (noncon)

Vs this (BEast)

Against good or great teams, MU's 2pt FG% D turns from an asset to a liability. And TOs created, which were rare to start off with, become almost nonexistent. MU currently has the lowest TO rate of any MU team since at least 1997 at 16.4%. During conference play, it's at 12.6%. Add this all up with a pretty high Free Throw Rate and 5 less insurance fouls, you can see my concerns.   

If Marquette hadn't been in a state of transition from the Hausers departure, and also hadn't been dealing with injuries to Theo, Jayce, and Koby I would be more concerned. The team appears to have turned a corner and the Hoya game notwithstanding, I believe the defense will only continue to improve.  GTown shot 50% from three and 50.8% overall and many were difficult or contested shots. That isn't typical.

StJ will really test Marquettes M2M, and I agree with another poster that Wojo may have to go to a small lineup for much of the game.  It should be fun.