[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Viking Cruiselines to Offer Great Lakes Cruises from Milwaukee  (Read 6237 times)

Eldon

• All American
Viking Cruiselines to Offer Great Lakes Cruises from Milwaukee
« on: January 17, 2020, 03:02:22 PM »
Viking is joining the growing number of cruise lines to set sail on the Great Lakes.

Three new eight-day Viking cruises will explore the Great Lakes starting in 2022, Viking announced Wednesday. The cruises will all either start or end at the Port of Milwaukee. It's all-new territory for the upscale cruise line known for trips on rivers in Europe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/viking-set-sail-great-lakes-135454670.html

This is great for Milwaukee, but I wonder: why not Chicago?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Viking Cruiselines to Offer Great Lakes Cruises from Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 03:06:21 PM »
Viking is joining the growing number of cruise lines to set sail on the Great Lakes.

Three new eight-day Viking cruises will explore the Great Lakes starting in 2022, Viking announced Wednesday. The cruises will all either start or end at the Port of Milwaukee. It's all-new territory for the upscale cruise line known for trips on rivers in Europe.

I’m sure these tours stop in Chicago. But my guess is Milwaukee is cheaper to start and end. And bussing people from O Hare isn’t that difficult.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 03:23:03 PM »
Milwaukee also has a deeper port in the city.
But I like to throw handfuls...

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 03:56:53 PM »
Milwaukee also has a deeper port in the city.

I always had thought or heard that was the issue, Chicago's port wasn't deep enough to take on bigger cruise ships.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 04:01:19 PM »

Indiana Alumni association sent my wife and I this last week....they are putting a cruise together.  We both were surprised Milwaukee was the starting point but thrilled that it was.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 07:41:07 AM »
$6k-7k to cruise the great lakes, obviously this is for old rich people.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 08:06:49 AM »
I hear no packer or bear garb allowed on board.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 09:28:15 AM »

You have no idea what rich means
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 12:12:40 PM »

right at what European River cruises cost.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 12:17:21 PM »
I wouldn't pay to do this, but I can see why some people from Europe would find it interesting.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/cruise-destinations/great-lakes-canada/index.html
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 12:19:29 PM »
This will be a huge upgrade over the current cruise operators on the great lakes. 

That being said, I can't see the appeal for US and Canadian citizens for this.  These are probably marketed a lot more towards Europeans, just like the current cruise lines do.   

The biggest thing I've always wondered about, is how comfortable the passengers are, even in summer, since the lakes (especially Michigan and Superior) are so cold and the offshore air temps can't be that warm.  I'd imagine a summer time cruise passenger would want to spend time on deck and not locked inside the ship to stay warm.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 02:31:22 PM »
I wouldn't pay to do this, but I can see why some people from Europe would find it interesting.

https://www.vikingcruises.com/expeditions/cruise-destinations/great-lakes-canada/index.html

Like college tuition, who pays full price for cruises?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 05:22:58 PM »
Like college tuition, who pays full price for cruises?

Do I get St. Ignatius scholarship reciprocity with any cruise lines?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 05:51:12 PM »
right at what European River cruises cost.

We are bargain hunters when it comes to travel.

Glow found us a 2-week long cruise through the Panama Canal for under $1000/person. We leave in a couple of months.

We know we will eventually have to bite the bullet and pay real prices to go everywhere we want to go in retirement, but for right now we are having fun seeing how cheap we can do it.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 08:03:51 PM »
Sounds like you're traveling first class on the college nostalgia ship with TV dinners and .5 star accommodations. Enjoy y'all and send us a postcard, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 08:39:11 PM »
Sounds like you're traveling first class on the college nostalgia ship with TV dinners and .5 star accommodations. Enjoy y'all and send us a postcard, hey?

Not true at all.  Chick overstates the austerity factor some although she got the price accurate.  One just has to know how to shop.  We're actually on the one Princess ship specifically built for the Canal.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 10:21:11 PM »
We should probably organize an MUScoop cruise. 

Maybe down the Mississippi, and we could stop at every port with an Arby's.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 11:02:09 PM »
We should probably organize an MUScoop cruise. 

Maybe down the Mississippi, and we could stop at every port with an Arby's.

Houseboat and im in.

Call me skipper.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2020, 05:25:01 AM »
Not true at all.  Chick overstates the austerity factor some although she got the price accurate.  One just has to know how to shop.  We're actually on the one Princess ship specifically built for the Canal.

Absolutely ... there are bargains out there. I subscribe to a couple of cruise consolidator sites, and they send me emails regularly with deals that include free drinks, gratuities, excursions, etc. Plus, Costco often has good deals. Mrs. 82 and I are doing a Caribbean cruise with another Marquette couple this spring; it sails out of Tampa, so we even can drive to the port. Gonna be fun!

Having said that, having seen most of what there is to see on the Great Lakes, I wouldn't pay even half of the cost of this Viking Cruise. However, there must be an audience for this. These major cruise lines do exhaustive research before launching new routes, so they wouldn't be doing this if they weren't sure they could sell it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2020, 06:54:13 AM »
Houseboat and im in.

Call me skipper.

I'd like to do an all-expense paid trip on the SS Minnow for a select group of Scoopers.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2020, 07:04:16 AM »
I'd like to do an all-expense paid trip on the SS Minnow for a select group of Scoopers.

You could send them on a tour right now if you wanted.   ;)

And let's make it a little bit longer than 3 hours.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 08:01:54 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2020, 07:15:35 AM »
Absolutely ... there are bargains out there. I subscribe to a couple of cruise consolidator sites, and they send me emails regularly with deals that include free drinks, gratuities, excursions, etc. Plus, Costco often has good deals. Mrs. 82 and I are doing a Caribbean cruise with another Marquette couple this spring; it sails out of Tampa, so we even can drive to the port. Gonna be fun!

Having said that, having seen most of what there is to see on the Great Lakes, I wouldn't pay even half of the cost of this Viking Cruise. However, there must be an audience for this. These major cruise lines do exhaustive research before launching new routes, so they wouldn't be doing this if they weren't sure they could sell it.

Especially if you can stay super flexible and book truly last minute. I kid you not. Two years ago we did the Princess 7 day southbound Voyage of the Glaciers in an OV for $349pp.  There were folks in balcs that had paid $2500pp.  AND we got our gratuities comped.

I saw the opportunity.  I checked the airfare situation and found it to be acceptable and told chick to walk next door and tell her boss.  We booked that day roughly 90 days before departure in a window that lasted only 2-3 days.  It was one of our very best vacations ever.  And it literally felt like stealing.

Earlier that same year we sailed Windstar out of San Juan on a revised itinerary in the aftermath of Maria.  Absolutely wonderful small ship cruise line.  And while it wasn't $349, it was deeply discounted because everyone was afraid to go to Puerto Rico after the hurricane. We even got to party with Newsy at SanSe in Old San Juan.

Very much looking forward to that in retirement.  "There's a great deal to wherever next week honey. Pack while I book it."  But you gotta zig when everyone else is zagging.  And I'm pretty good at finding those.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:25:04 AM by jsglow »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 08:01:17 AM »

The Gordon Lightfoot song of this tragedy would be incredible.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 08:54:25 AM »
Especially if you can stay super flexible and book truly last minute. I kid you not. Two years ago we did the Princess 7 day southbound Voyage of the Glaciers in an OV for $349pp.  There were folks in balcs that had paid $2500pp.  AND we got our gratuities comped.

I saw the opportunity.  I checked the airfare situation and found it to be acceptable and told chick to walk next door and tell her boss.  We booked that day roughly 90 days before departure in a window that lasted only 2-3 days.  It was one of our very best vacations ever.  And it literally felt like stealing.

Earlier that same year we sailed Windstar out of San Juan on a revised itinerary in the aftermath of Maria.  Absolutely wonderful small ship cruise line.  And while it wasn't $349, it was deeply discounted because everyone was afraid to go to Puerto Rico after the hurricane. We even got to party with Newsy at SanSe in Old San Juan.

Very much looking forward to that in retirement.  "There's a great deal to wherever next week honey. Pack while I book it."  But you gotta zig when everyone else is zagging.  And I'm pretty good at finding those.

Great job, glow.

I might hit you up for info on Windstar via PM one of these years.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 09:42:31 AM »

My vessel is the Sloop John B.   4ever is my grandfather.

feedback