[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ed Morrow  (Read 67017 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Ed Morrow
« Reply #350 on: January 17, 2020, 01:10:38 PM »
Sacar seems pretty obvious.  He was eligible to grad transfer.  Brendan would be the guy that makes the most sense beyond him just simply by process of elimination / common sense. 

None of this really matters.  We are where we are and we have the guys we have.

Not sure it would make sense for Brendan to transfer. He already sat out two years of college while on his mission. Not sure anyone is dying to be a 23-year-old sophomore.
Jamal on the other hand ...

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #351 on: January 17, 2020, 01:11:25 PM »
And not only did he come to MU, he enrolled early, losing out on half of his senior year of HS.  It's amazing to me that no one in the camp; Wojo, Stan, Sam or Mom & Dad realized this was a bad idea.

How’s the ortho surgeons and rehab up in the Point?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #352 on: January 17, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
He played after the long 2 attempt.  Knowing Wojo's rotations, I doubt it was even a factor.

And he generally played from one TV timeout to the next.  That is plenty of time.  Ners has been claiming this for years about players he likes that dont pan out.  Its just not accurate.

I don't think Ed quit because of the one shot against Providence.  That was just a microcosm of how Wojo's coaching is #de-motivating.  The fact he returned later in the game didn't mean squat to me.  It's how he's been used the entire time at MU.  And for the record, Ed wasn't a player I "liked," I've stated I felt Theo was the best big on the team. 

There is no "rotation" with Wojo.  It is not true that a player like Ed usually played TV timeout to TV timeout.  Zero truth in that.

This aside, go look at the 4 minute production of other guys on the team not named Markus.  I can assure you that Bailey, Sacar, Theo, and Koby have many thin production 4 minute segments.

Lastly, all the quick hook accomplishes is negative reinforcement and guys playing tight and non-confident AF.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #353 on: January 17, 2020, 01:15:45 PM »
I don't think Ed quit because of the one shot against Providence.  That was just a microcosm of how Wojo's coaching is #de-motivating.  The fact he returned later in the game didn't mean squat to me.  It's how he's been used the entire time at MU.  And for the record, Ed wasn't a player I "liked," I've stated I felt Theo was the best big on the team. 

There is no "rotation" with Wojo.  It is not true that a player like Ed usually played TV timeout to TV timeout.  Zero truth in that.

This aside, go look at the 4 minute production of other guys on the team not named Markus.  I can assure you that Bailey, Sacar, Theo, and Koby have many thin production 4 minute segments.

Lastly, all the quick hook accomplishes is negative reinforcement and guys playing tight and non-confident AF.
Your argument essentially comes down to, "Players that are playing badly should get more minutes so they don't play as badly."  Pretty much everyone disagrees with you, and that is OK...but we've heard this argument from you before.  Maybe you should stop and let it pass?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #354 on: January 17, 2020, 01:16:13 PM »
I cannot believe Wojo has not figured out that he needs to play every single player for 40 minutes and they will be Michael Jordan on steroids.  What an idiot.  He needs to use the 520 available minutes per game to get his full roster of 13 scholarship players 40 minutes per game.  If he doesn't do that how in the world will we ever know what we have in a guy?  Such inconsistent minutes doesn't allow for a player to even have a chance to play well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #355 on: January 17, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »
How’s the ortho surgeons and rehab up in the Point?

I believe he went to Bellin in Green Bay for surgery. If I remember Wojo was there with him.   Rehab it would seem could be done anywhere.  Even still, parents of a super star athlete are used to driving long distances for AAU practices and the like 4-5 times a week.  It’s 90 minutes from Point to GB if he wanted to continue to rehab with Bellin (where he’d definitely be under direction of sports medicine team that works with the Packers).
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

panda

• All American
« Reply #356 on: January 17, 2020, 01:20:13 PM »
I believe he went to Bellin in Green Bay for surgery. If I remember Wojo was there with him.   Rehab it would seem could be done anywhere.  Even still, parents of a super star athlete are used to driving long distances for AAU practices and the like 4-5 times a week.  It’s 90 minutes from Point to GB if he wanted to continue to rehab with Bellin (where he’d definitely be under direction of sports medicine team that works with the Packers).

Bob Anderson out of Green Bay did the surgery. Packers team doc and renowned foot surgeon. He was in good hands.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #357 on: January 17, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »
By the end of last year I thought Bailey should have played more than Joey, specifically due to Joey's lack of athleticism and poor defense. This year, it seems pretty clear to me Bailey is better. Joey is a better shooter, and maybe passer. But overall Bailey is better.

Given that, it was never going to be the case that we had both. One was going to emerge and the other transfer. It's the way it is now in college.

For one thing, you're comparing sophomore year Brendan to freshman year Joey. Most guys progress from year to year, so that's not really apples to apples. Even so, when you look at the stats between current Brendan and last year Joey, they're pretty darn close. Brendan is quicker and more athletic, which makes him a better defender. But I think Joey was a better scorer and was more consistent than Brendan.

And I don't subscribe to the idea that it had to be one or the other. This year would have been a battle for minutes, but next year they could have been a pretty good tandem. Somehow we managed to have 3 extremely talented guards who all played well together from 06-09 without any concern over transfers. Why wouldn't you expect Wojo to find a way to utilize 2 wing players on the floor at the same time?

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #358 on: January 17, 2020, 01:23:53 PM »
Sacar seems pretty obvious.  He was eligible to grad transfer.  Brendan would be the guy that makes the most sense beyond him just simply by process of elimination / common sense. 

None of this really matters.  We are where we are and we have the guys we have.

Wait, I thought the whole thing was about bad team chemistry. The assumptions above are just about playing time.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #359 on: January 17, 2020, 01:26:02 PM »
On strictly pragmatic terms Morrow would be well served to tough it out.  It's not all about playing time.  Long after his time on the court, it would be helpful to have that strong connection to the Marquette community.  The world is about networking and burning bridges may feel good for the moment but in the long run it's self-destructive.  My advice to any athlete in a comparable situation -- put on you big boy pants -- go to class, practice and keep developing your game.  Take full advantage of the academic support team, eat those free meals and snacks and figure out life when your eligibility is over.

Totally agree. You're 23 years old with one last shot at an NCAA tourney, and who knows what kind of role you could have played in key moments when called upon. Is it really so terrible to be on a high major D1 team for another 6-8 weeks, even if you're not playing as much as you thought? It's not like you have an alternative at this point. A rash decision that I hope he doesn't come to regret but I fear he will. Holding out hope he'll reconsider with a renewed resolve and provide an emotional pickup to the team down the stretch.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #360 on: January 17, 2020, 01:27:53 PM »
Totally agree. You're 23 years old with one last shot at an NCAA tourney, and who knows what kind of role you could have played in key moments when called upon. Is it really so terrible to be on a high major D1 team for another 6-8 weeks, even if you're not playing as much as you thought? It's not like you have an alternative at this point. A rash decision that I hope he doesn't come to regret but I fear he will. Holding out hope he'll reconsider with a renewed resolve and provide an emotional pickup to the team down the stretch.

For all the reasons mentioned above, it sure seems likely to me that this is about more than just playing time.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #361 on: January 17, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »
Wait, I thought the whole thing was about bad team chemistry. The assumptions above are just about playing time.

Marquette had a problem with too much talent and ego at the forward position competing for starting roles and minutes. Combine that with a uniquely talented scoring guard who's not lacking in confidence either and chemistry issues could arise.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #362 on: January 17, 2020, 01:35:19 PM »
Your argument essentially comes down to, "Players that are playing badly should get more minutes so they don't play as badly."  Pretty much everyone disagrees with you, and that is OK...but we've heard this argument from you before.  Maybe you should stop and let it pass?

End of the day, the track record under Wojo shows he struggles to coach/maintain relationships with the 5 through 11 guys on a roster - Matt Heldt aside.  (I'll leave the ridiculous loss of Sam and Joey out of this.)

There is a reason a lot of these guys leave the program, or show little development if they stick around.

The continued churn under Wojo doesn't surprise me in the least.  Agree to disagree about the cause and effect of why this continues to happen.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #363 on: January 17, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »
End of the day, the track record under Wojo shows he struggles to coach/maintain relationships with the 5 through 11 guys on a roster - Matt Heldt aside.  (I'll leave the ridiculous loss of Sam and Joey out of this.)

There is a reason a lot of these guys leave the program, or show little development if they stick around.

The continued churn under Wojo doesn't surprise me in the least.  Agree to disagree about the cause and effect of why this continues to happen.

It happens at every program. This isn’t unique to Marquette or Wojo.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #364 on: January 17, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »
I think he would have started because of his defense and to have a second true guard on the floor with Markus. I also think this years Brendan would have given Joey a run for his money. Sacar has more than earned a starting role.

Last years team was one solid guard away from being really good. This years team has some options with Koby and Symir starting to find their groove.

Based on defense, maybe Koby would have been in the mix with Sacar, Brendan, and Joey for a starting spot, but I think the'd be at the bottom of the pecking order among that group. Again, I think you're putting way too much emphasis on who's out there for the tip vs. who gets solid minutes.

The weakness on last year's team wasn't guard play. We had two solid guards last year. The issue was purely mental. Hence the 23-4 record halfway through conference play followed by a bizarre collapse. It would have been nice to have a true point guard, but the combination of Markus, Sacar, and Sam figured it out well enough.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #365 on: January 17, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »
It happens at every program. This isn’t unique to Marquette or Wojo.

Would be interesting to see what the overall transfer numbers are in the Top 50 programs in current Ken Pom.  Would then be interesting to see what the numbers look like mid-season.

The 40% transfer figure is a nice stat, no doubt.  I suspect that number is not nearly as high in the Top 50 programs.

What definitely doesn't happen at every program is seeing transfers out like the Hausers. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #366 on: January 17, 2020, 01:43:42 PM »
Would be interesting to see what the overall transfer numbers are in the Top 50 programs in current Ken Pom.  Would then be interesting to see what the numbers look like mid-season.

The 40% transfer figure is a nice stat, no doubt.  I suspect that number is not nearly as high in the Top 50 programs.

What definitely doesn't happen at every program is seeing transfers out like the Hausers.

Maryland just did.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #367 on: January 17, 2020, 01:45:06 PM »

I bet it is higher at top 50 programs. Everyone thinks they should be the showcase at those schools or realize they aren't at that tier.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #368 on: January 17, 2020, 01:45:37 PM »
I cannot believe Wojo has not figured out that he needs to play every single player for 40 minutes and they will be Michael Jordan on steroids.  What an idiot.  He needs to use the 520 available minutes per game to get his full roster of 13 scholarship players 40 minutes per game.  If he doesn't do that how in the world will we ever know what we have in a guy?  Such inconsistent minutes doesn't allow for a player to even have a chance to play well.

Some people are obviously using Eds sudden departure as further evidence that Wojo is incompetent. Reality doesn't factor into their argument.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #369 on: January 17, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »
Maryland just did.

So losing the freshman Mitchell brothers who played 11 and 16% of available minutes is comparable to losing the Hauser brothers?  Seems like a stretch to me.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #370 on: January 17, 2020, 01:55:09 PM »
Joel Barry had some thoughts on playing time.....and how changing his mindset turned his career around. Helps to have parents that keep it real too......

https://youtu.be/zi2H0CBkeIY

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #371 on: January 17, 2020, 01:58:22 PM »
Based on defense, maybe Koby would have been in the mix with Sacar, Brendan, and Joey for a starting spot, but I think the'd be at the bottom of the pecking order among that group. Again, I think you're putting way too much emphasis on who's out there for the tip vs. who gets solid minutes.

The weakness on last year's team wasn't guard play. We had two solid guards last year. The issue was purely mental. Hence the 23-4 record halfway through conference play followed by a bizarre collapse. It would have been nice to have a true point guard, but the combination of Markus, Sacar, and Sam figured it out well enough.

Who was our second solid guard last year? Sacar?

I love Sacar but he is not a point guard and neither is Markus for that matter.

With Koby in the mix the calculus changed dramatically for starting minutes this season, and if Sam and Joey had still been here things may have gotten even uglier. Someone had to go and it seems the best solution for all parties was for the Hausers to do what they did.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 03:54:02 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #372 on: January 17, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »
If this is about PT, it's not on Wojo, it's on Ed.  You don't quit on a team mid-season.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #373 on: January 17, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »
Hausers, Cheatham, and Burton for me. Regardless of circumstances.

Cheatham left for family reasons....Burton the same...unless his sister, brother, etc are lying which I don’t believe the case.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #374 on: January 17, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »
On strictly pragmatic terms Morrow would be well served to tough it out.  It's not all about playing time.  Long after his time on the court, it would be helpful to have that strong connection to the Marquette community.  The world is about networking and burning bridges may feel good for the moment but in the long run it's self-destructive.  My advice to any athlete in a comparable situation -- put on you big boy pants -- go to class, practice and keep developing your game.  Take full advantage of the academic support team, eat those free meals and snacks and figure out life when your eligibility is over.

Thanks for Posting.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

feedback