[Today at 01:00:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by onepost
[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Ed Morrow  (Read 68098 times)

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
Re: Ed Morrow
« Reply #300 on: January 17, 2020, 09:43:02 AM »
If Ed quit solely due to playing time, then he quit on himself, and more importantly his team as well.  This is not an individual sport.  IMO, it's not a good look for him - I see it as character revealed.  I would certainly never advise my kids to take this route in the middle of a season in a team sport.  Also, I can't comprehend how you walk out on your teammates after all the work you put in for 3 years.         

THIS

onepost

• All American
« Reply #301 on: January 17, 2020, 09:44:44 AM »
Could add Matt Heldt

Yep absolutely.  Matt was a quintessential "program guy".

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #302 on: January 17, 2020, 09:46:15 AM »
Carlino and Reinhardt contributed quite a bit.

Carlino, yeah. Katin? We'll always have the Nova game, I guess.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
If Ed quit solely due to playing time, then he quit on himself, and more importantly his team as well.  This is not an individual sport.  IMO, it's not a good look for him - I see it as character revealed.  I would certainly never advise my kids to take this route in the middle of a season in a team sport.  Also, I can't comprehend how you walk out on your teammates after all the work you put in for 3 years.         

I agree with this mindset. Which is why I wonder what else might be contributing to the decision. It seems like there could be something more going on than just Ed wanting more minutes. I doubt that we'll ever know the real story, but I'd be surprised if this was just about playing time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #304 on: January 17, 2020, 09:51:25 AM »

He's doing it once again with Mane who has been quoted as saying Woj wants him to come in and be the man from day 1. Wonder how Garcia is diggin' dat chit?
As for Howard, I have know "vendeta" against him. Hey, live and let live. He is a very talented shooter. On a better and more complete basketball team (and this is on Woj), Markus would not, nor would he have to, put up the shot volume that we see each and every game.

Neither you nor I nor anyone else here was there to hear what Wojo told Mane or Garcia or anybody else.

Wojo (or Stan or Killings or whoever) might have said, "Markus is graduating and I definitely can see you doing some of the great things for us that he has done." I would not have blamed him if that's what he said. It's the kind of thing that most coaches say to land a 5-star recruit who has  lots of options.

Mane could have translated that as, "You're the next Markus, and you can shoot whenever you want." That doesn't mean it's what Wojo said.

Wojo might have told Garcia, "Look at what Henry Ellenson did during his year at Marquette. We know how to use a multi-talented big man" ... and to Garcia's ears that might have meant: "You will be the next Henry and everything on offense will go through you."

HS basketball players are like most humans -- they hear what they want to hear.

KO is revered by Scoopers. Remember all the stuff he said to Gates to get him to sign on the dotted line? It's what coaches do. Hopefully they don't flat-out lie; but yes, they tell the kid that he can be a major, major player.

Now, the best coaches can deal with the egos once they get the kids to campus. As I've said multiple times, Wojo needs to get better at it or get out.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #305 on: January 17, 2020, 10:01:19 AM »
I’m sure most coaches make promises to incoming recruits, and Wojo is no different.  But to me, it’s always been obvious what promises Wojo made to certain players, in a way that I didn’t notice under Crean and Buzz.  Examples:

Henry:  You’ll get to showcase your 3-point shot.

Markus:  Ultimate green light immediately as a freshman.

Rowsey:  Ultimate green light.

Carlino:  Look at our roster right now.  Come here and you can be the chuckiest chucker this side of Chucksville.

Joey:  Starter and big minutes from day one.

What promises, if any, were made to Morrow to keep him on the roster?  It seems like Wojo wrote a check he couldn’t or didn’t want to cash.

Rowsey most definitely did not get a green light from the start. He barely played at the start until he forced Wojo's hand.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #306 on: January 17, 2020, 10:03:51 AM »
The only concerning transfers in Wojo's time at Marquette to me are the Hausers.  If a guy who isn't contributing wants to quit mid-season, oh well.  Not super concerning or telling about the state of the program, in my opinion.

Doesn't seem to be overly concerning to recruits, either.

Hausers, Cheatham, and Burton for me. Regardless of circumstances.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #307 on: January 17, 2020, 10:04:38 AM »
Carlino, yeah. Katin? We'll always have the Nova game, I guess.

Reinhardt was a pretty indisposable player....

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #308 on: January 17, 2020, 10:07:47 AM »
Reinhardt was a pretty indisposable player....

He was very good for MU.

connie

• All American
« Reply #309 on: January 17, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »
I am, slowly, coming to grips with the "transfer" era of college ball.  My issue is with the circumstances.  As hard as I try to understand I still can't get over the idea of a senior leaving a team, either at the end of junior year or here, mid-season. All I can think of is that after the amount of time committed, how bad would things have to be to just walk away from something you have spent your whole life on, in the middle of a season.  Tells me that the "personal reasons" may well be true, but, then, history makes me question that.  Anyway, good luck Ed.  Hope whatever it is works out for you.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2020, 10:10:40 AM »
So, does anyone here believe Ed earned more minutes than he was getting this year?
If so, why?
If not, then what's all the arguing about? You want Wojo to give a kid more minutes than he's earned - to the detriment of the team - to keep him happy?
I 100% get Ed's frustration here, but at the end of the day, his performance is what's determining his minutes.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2020, 10:24:01 AM »
It's not concerning to you to lose the Hausers last year and then have Ed leave in the middle of the season this year? Just par for the course D1 basketball stuff here?

The Hausers played the same position. They were also brothers. Those are some odd circumstances to start. Joey wanted to be "the man" and sam showed solidarity. We may never get the whole story, but that was just a weird situation overall. Ed...thats a role player mad with his role and par for the course. Wojos job isnt to keep everyone happy, it's to put the best team on the court.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #312 on: January 17, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
So, does anyone here believe Ed earned more minutes than he was getting this year?
If so, why?
If not, then what's all the arguing about? You want Wojo to give a kid more minutes than he's earned - to the detriment of the team - to keep him happy?
I 100% get Ed's frustration here, but at the end of the day, his performance is what's determining his minutes.

This is totally where I'm at. I wish Ed were staying because it would be great to have the depth, and he is capable of having an impact. The couple times we needed Heldt last season, it sure was good he was there.

But to my eyes, he was the third-best option at the position. No coach gives extra minutes to a fringe rotation player "just because."

As hard as I try to understand I still can't get over the idea of a senior leaving a team, either at the end of junior year or here, mid-season.

All I can say is that I sure am glad that Robert Jackson felt his best option was to leave Mississippi State at the end of his junior season!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #313 on: January 17, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »
Im sorry, but I guess Im too old for these guys..... I was taught to Never quit....There is ALWAYS someone who plays better and more talented than you!!!  You have to Work more and harder at it to get and be  better... I guess i can see what Wojo mindset might be.... As the story goes, Wojo was told by Coach K, ( i think it was after Soph year)  that he wasn't good enuf, and he would not be starting the following season... He didn't get pissed off and quit......Wojo went and dedicated himself and worked hard and got better.... He started the next season and became AA  and Def player of the year.. SO, I think Wojo is blunt and tells the players where they stand...  Some couldn't take the message and leave.. Too bad for them.   I want players here who want to play for MU...  Real Warriors ! ! !   Matt Heldt is the perfect example.. Sorry for the long diatribe... I know I will get roasted by some, but this is Just an Old Fan's  opinion... 8-)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #314 on: January 17, 2020, 10:46:03 AM »

I'm still not sure that's exactly what happened.  But I do think that under Wojo, MU has players who are unsatisfied with their roles.  I have no idea if this is what it's like at other schools, but it is disconcerting.

25% of college basketball players transferred last season.  Over 40% of cbb players transfer during their college career. 

This is not unique to Marquette, despite many here that want it to be.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2020, 10:48:42 AM »
I know I will get roasted by some, but this is Just an Old Fan's  opinion... 8-)

Nope, seems like a reasonable take, and a plausible explanation for wojos approach

fjm

• All American
« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »
If so, why?

Bingo. I want Ed here. And to stay.

But these people putting blame on Wojo. Or any coach...

If you’re in the coaches sneakers, are you sitting jayce and Theo to give more play time to Ed for the extra 8-10 min he feels he deserves?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 10:54:15 AM by fjm »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
Im sorry, but I guess Im too old for these guys..... I was taught to Never quit....There is ALWAYS someone who plays better and more talented than you!!!  You have to Work more and harder at it to get and be  better... I guess i can see what Wojo mindset might be.... As the story goes, Wojo was told by Coach K, ( i think it was after Soph year)  that he wasn't good enuf, and he would not be starting the following season... He didn't get pissed off and quit......Wojo went and dedicated himself and worked hard and got better.... He started the next season and became AA  and Def player of the year.. SO, I think Wojo is blunt and tells the players where they stand...  Some couldn't take the message and leave.. Too bad for them.   I want players here who want to play for MU...  Real Warriors ! ! !   Matt Heldt is the perfect example.. Sorry for the long diatribe... I know I will get roasted by some, but this is Just an Old Fan's  opinion... 8-)

Right on!  Agree 100%.

Does anyone know if Ed has shown up at practice since the game?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2020, 10:54:53 AM »

I agree, when growing up and they pick/place you for Right field you knew where you stood and what you needed to do.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2020, 11:07:58 AM »
I agree, when growing up and they pick/place you for Right field you knew where you stood and what you needed to do.

Steal signs?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2020, 11:13:14 AM »
Steal signs?

In those days there was a Commandment about stealing signs.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
. Poor strategy to get in bed with your superstar at the expense of other team members, hey?

Doc thinks the cancer metastasized to Ed.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2020, 11:23:38 AM »
Right on!  Agree 100%.

Does anyone know if Ed has shown up at practice since the game?

I wouldn't bet on that.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
If so, why?
Ding ding ding.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2020, 11:56:05 AM »
If so, why?

+1,  it’s a shame but it is what it is.

feedback