[Today at 07:04:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by NickelDimer
[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Ed Morrow  (Read 67039 times)

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
Re: Ed Morrow
« Reply #250 on: January 16, 2020, 10:55:40 PM »

I normally wouldn't say this, but for the sake of team unity, it's probably best that Ed left and that he stays gone. Last season showed what malcontent can do to a team. I wish him well but every player on this years team needs to be all in if their going to make the tournament. I know the team is going to miss him at some point the rest of the way, but sacrificing team unity isn't worth one players limited contributions IMHO.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2020, 11:05:48 PM »
You are literally taking it too literally. 

If we measured guys production on the is team by 4 minute segments, think you’d find a lot of non factors out there other than Markus.

The over-arching point is that having significant volatility in your playing time and role game to game AND having to navigate a generally short leash in a game - that’s tough sledding for any player.

Nonetheless, just another guy to quit mid-season on Wojo:  Burton, Dawson, Cohen, Cheatham, Traci, and now Ed. Nothing to see here.

All but one of those guys transferred to smaller, lower tier schools where their skill set was more appropriate.  Ed can play at this level, maybe he changes his mind...if not, wish him the best.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #252 on: January 16, 2020, 11:42:31 PM »
I don’t know.

Thank you for your rare candor.

If Ed had played better, he'd have played more. Wojo has done a very good job managing minutes for the 5 position.

Nonetheless, just another guy to quit mid-season on Wojo:  Burton, Dawson, Cohen, Cheatham, Traci, and now Ed.

4 of the 6 guys you named couldn't hack it in the BEast and were being recruited over. They saw the writing on the wall and went to lesser basketball schools in lesser basketball conferences. And it seems Ed saw the writing, too.

Wojo is a horrible coach whom every player hates ... and yet somehow he has landed a top-10 recruiting class. These young men said they chose Marquette in great part because of the camaraderie they felt while getting to know the players and coaches during their campus visits. I guess Wojo must be quite a hypnotist!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

onepost

• All American
« Reply #253 on: January 16, 2020, 11:59:27 PM »
Was also told he quit: and it was obviously less "getting pulled because of one long 2 against Providence" and more "a 5th year senior is frustrated he's fallen down the depth chart and he/the staff didn't see eye to eye on his minutes moving forward".

I'm certain it's been mentioned already but it really is a Catch 22.  I'm sure Ed feels he hasn't been able to establish a good rhythm on the court due to a lack of minutes, but it's hard to justify giving him minutes when he's been straight up lousy all season.  I feel for Ed because he seems like a genuinely good dude off the court, and his toughness and energy are traits any contending team can use.

While I find it hard to criticize Wojo for not playing a guy who's been a literal anchor for this team (his in-conference +/- of -27 speaks for itself), what's troubling is the track record of guys straight up leaving the program when they've seemingly lost favor with Wojo relative to other players:
- Deonte
- Traci
- Sandy
- Dawson
- (Wally?)
- Haanif
- Harry
- Sam and Joey
- Ed

Outside of the guys who opted to redshirt (Sacar, Greg, Dexter), I can only think of Jamal as a guy who has embraced his role coming off the bench and publicly remained positive while being leapfrogged on the depth chart - Ben Steele story late last season.  Despite my vocal concerns with Wojo after Sam and Joey left, I still think he can get it done here.  But trends like this are hard to ignore, and if you're not one of his "guys" it seems like a revolving door.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2020, 12:02:16 AM »
Was also told he quit: and it was obviously less "getting pulled because of one long 2 against Providence" and more "a 5th year senior is frustrated he's fallen down the depth chart and he/the staff didn't see eye to eye on his minutes moving forward".

I'm certain it's been mentioned already but it really is a Catch 22.  I'm sure Ed feels he hasn't been able to establish a good rhythm on the court due to a lack of minutes, but it's hard to justify giving him minutes when he's been straight up lousy all season.  I feel for Ed because he seems like a genuinely good dude off the court, and his toughness and energy are traits any contending team can use.

While I find it hard to criticize Wojo for not playing a guy who's been a literal anchor for this team (his in-conference +/- of -27 speaks for itself), what's troubling is the track record of guys straight up leaving the program when they've seemingly lost favor with Wojo relative to other players:
- Deonte
- Traci
- Sandy
- Dawson
- (Wally?)
- Haanif
- Harry
- Sam and Joey
- Ed

Outside of the guys who opted to redshirt (Sacar, Greg, Dexter), I can only think of Jamal as a guy who has embraced his role coming off the bench and publicly remained positive while being leapfrogged on the depth chart - Ben Steele story late last season.  Despite my vocal concerns with Wojo after Sam and Joey left, I still think he can get it done here.  But trends like this are hard to ignore, and if you're not one of his "guys" it seems like a revolving door.

Much of that list....didn’t pan out.  This is big boy basketball.  Dawson...my God...how was he even recruited to MU?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

onepost

• All American
« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2020, 12:10:17 AM »
Much of that list....didn’t pan out.  This is big boy basketball.  Dawson...my God...how was he even recruited to MU?

Definitely agree with that, and like many I didn't lose a wink of sleep for 7/10 on that list.

But my point is more that an upperclass Cheatham or Carter or whomever could have been good for these teams.
Instead there has consistently been zero buy-in from anyone on taking a lesser role but still contributing when called upon.  And I feel like at a certain point, you've gotta start getting that instead of continual scorched earth.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2020, 12:21:36 AM »
Nonetheless, just another guy to quit mid-season on Wojo:  Burton, Dawson, Cohen, Cheatham, Traci, and now Ed. Nothing to see here.

I know that the transfer topic has been discussed here, but guys leaving mid-season should not be a regular thing. All conference guys leaving should not be no big deal. Maybe it's just about playing time or usage rates. Maybe it's just clashing personalities. But maybe, in this growing list of players exiting the program, there's a consistent and valid frustration with the way the program and its players are being managed. 

Admittedly, this line of thinking fits nicely into my own less than positive views of Wojo. But at the same time, a big point of reservation I've had with him was the way guys were leaving the team. Losing Cheatham was a big deal to me. The Hausergate scenario was awful. And now losing Ed right at the start of conference play? To me, it sure seems like something's rotten in Denmark. 

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2020, 12:29:14 AM »

Wojo is a horrible coach whom every player hates ... and yet somehow he has landed a top-10 recruiting class. These young men said they chose Marquette in great part because of the camaraderie they felt while getting to know the players and coaches during their campus visits. I guess Wojo must be quite a hypnotist!

It is very possible that Wojo's sales pitch doesn't live up to the experience for everyone once they get to Milwaukee. Is the difference in 5-8 minutes per game big enough for a guy to walk away from his college basketball career? Or could something else be going on in the relationship between player and coach? Is it possible that the Wojo the players get behind closed doors is different than the guy who sat on their living room couch and promised mom he'd take good care of the player? Maybe he's not the smiling Duke-molded Stepford coach we get at alumni events and in interviews.

It's also highly likely that 20-ish year olds that have always been at the top of the totem pole struggle dealing with the adversity that comes at this level of basketball. I absolutely get that.  There's just been a lot of smoke with this fire during his tenure, and it has now been a significant storyline for the last 9 months.

The whole "it's fine to lose talented players because if they don't want to be here, we don't want them here" thought process seems naive to me. It's certainly one way to cope with a break up, but it's not completely honest.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2020, 01:09:48 AM »
It is very possible that Wojo's sales pitch doesn't live up to the experience for everyone once they get to Milwaukee. Is the difference in 5-8 minutes per game big enough for a guy to walk away from his college basketball career? Or could something else be going on in the relationship between player and coach? Is it possible that the Wojo the players get behind closed doors is different than the guy who sat on their living room couch and promised mom he'd take good care of the player? Maybe he's not the smiling Duke-molded Stepford coach we get at alumni events and in interviews.

It's also highly likely that 20-ish year olds that have always been at the top of the totem pole struggle dealing with the adversity that comes at this level of basketball. I absolutely get that.  There's just been a lot of smoke with this fire during his tenure, and it has now been a significant storyline for the last 9 months.

The whole "it's fine to lose talented players because if they don't want to be here, we don't want them here" thought process seems naive to me. It's certainly one way to cope with a break up, but it's not completely honest.

Serious hypothetical question:

If Sam and Joey come back this year and Wojo still wanted to have two guards on the floor at all times, who would be the starting five right now??

My take:
Guards: Markus and Koby.
Center: Theo
Forwards: Now here's where it gets fun and may answer part of the transfer question.: Sam and ?
Sam and Joey??
Sam and Sacar??
Sam and Brendan??
Starting to see the problem??
Theres minutes available but who would Wojo give the starting nod to??
Whoever he gives the starting job to, two other guys are going to be pissed.
If Wojo started Sacar(likely) Joey would have lost his____
If Wojo gave the starting job to Joey, Sacar would have had every right to walk.
Wojo wouldn't have given the starting job to Brendan over Sacar or Joey, so he very well may have transferred.

The addition of a second guard in the starting lineup with a roster that included the Hausers was literally unworkable.
At the end of last season it was already accepted that Koby would be the second guard. The Hausers knew it, and they also saw Brendan ascending.

With willing suitors in UVA and MSU plus the year off for Sams hip to heal and Joey to mature, it was a no brainier for the Hausers to leave. Just like its a no brainier for Ed to leave with Jayce returning to his pre-injury form.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 01:40:40 AM by WhoaJoe2020 »

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2020, 02:04:20 AM »
Instead there has consistently been zero buy-in from anyone on taking a lesser role but still contributing when called upon.  And I feel like at a certain point, you've gotta start getting that instead of continual scorched earth.

Does Matt Heldt count? he took a lesser role... went from start junior year to off the bench senior year. I don't think he compares to Ed's skill level, but he bought in to team first.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #260 on: January 17, 2020, 02:27:21 AM »
Does Matt Heldt count? he took a lesser role... went from start junior year to off the bench senior year. I don't think he compares to Ed's skill level, but he bought in to team first.

I think if MU started targeting more (preferably local) "program guys" for their 11th, 12th and 13th scholarships like Matt Heldt and Jake Thomas, we'd see much less chemistry issues and bizarre departures. Instead, it seems they always sign similarly talented players with similar skill sets and just let armageddon ensue where the defeated warriors end up being forced to pack their bags or become a "program guy" themselves which not many have interest in doing.

Guys like Thomas and Heldt are more than serviceable to come into the game for "depth" in the event the first and second string guys get into foul trouble or get injured. Although, for a program like Marquette, roster management is more difficult than at a blue blood and it's more of a "take what you can get" so I understand why they try and get the most high major players they can. That strategy will always lead to transfers and unhappiness from certain players though. It always has.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #261 on: January 17, 2020, 05:27:39 AM »
Serious hypothetical question:

If Sam and Joey come back this year and Wojo still wanted to have two guards on the floor at all times, who would be the starting five right now??

My take:
Guards: Markus and Koby.
Center: Theo
Forwards: Now here's where it gets fun and may answer part of the transfer question.: Sam and ?
Sam and Joey??
Sam and Sacar??
Sam and Brendan??
Starting to see the problem??
Theres minutes available but who would Wojo give the starting nod to??
Whoever he gives the starting job to, two other guys are going to be pissed.
If Wojo started Sacar(likely) Joey would have lost his____
If Wojo gave the starting job to Joey, Sacar would have had every right to walk.
Wojo wouldn't have given the starting job to Brendan over Sacar or Joey, so he very well may have transferred.

The addition of a second guard in the starting lineup with a roster that included the Hausers was literally unworkable.
At the end of last season it was already accepted that Koby would be the second guard. The Hausers knew it, and they also saw Brendan ascending.

With willing suitors in UVA and MSU plus the year off for Sams hip to heal and Joey to mature, it was a no brainier for the Hausers to leave. Just like its a no brainier for Ed to leave with Jayce returning to his pre-injury form.

It's a "no-brainer" for Ed to leave with 13-17 games left in his college career? What? Literally never seen it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #262 on: January 17, 2020, 07:27:00 AM »
All my opinion ...

It is fair to wonder how good Wojo is at managing egos, which is a major part of any coach's job. If he was great at it, one of the best, could Hausershima have been avoided, a couple of other transfers not happened, etc? We'll never know, but I'll say it's at least a maybe. He's a P6 head coach, he makes big bucks, and he has experience at a program where talented players were recruited over all the time and where egos were very large. So while I don't think it's fair to place all the blame on him -- especially when we don't know all the circumstances -- I do think it's fair to say it's not been one of his strengths, and because of that we might have lost some players we shouldn't have.

As for the Morrow situation itself ...

This never would have happened had Wojo simply not signed Jayce. Maybe there are a few Scoopers who think that's the way things should have gone. The Theo/Ed combo was good enough for us to have a 23-4 start to last season, and they certainly weren't primarily to blame for the collapse down the stretch. Maybe Wojo should have left well enough alone. That's reasonable.

I, for one, was glad he signed Jayce. I thought it was important to improve our depth at the 5 if he had the chance to do so. And as it turns out, Jayce has been a better player than Morrow for this team.

Now, did Wojo promise Morrow something when he signed Jayce? To keep Morrow from transferring before the season, when Morrow actually could have latched on elsewhere, did Wojo promise him 10 mpg at the 4, as well as time at the 5? If so, that would have been bad form. However, absent any evidence of that, I don't think it's fair to Wojo to imply that was the case. If Morrow had come to me after I signed Jayce and asked me what it meant for him, I'd have said, "We wanted to improve our depth, and we're never going to pass on a good player who wants to come to Marquette. We still value you and consider you a fine college player. But as always, playing time will depend on matchups, on who is playing best in a given game, foul trouble, etc." I like to think that's the kind of answer Wojo gave if Ed inquired.

So for me, the bottom line is that Wojo either should have or shouldn't have brought on Jayce. I'm glad he did.

I know there is at least one Scooper who thinks Ed was the best of them all, that he should have been starting over Theo all along and getting the majority of minutes at the 5. Given what we have seen from both players -- at their best and at their worst -- I respectfully but strongly disagree with that assessment.

I also disagree with those who contend that Ed rarely was given enough playing time to get in rhythm. There are plenty of reasons to criticize Wojo, but I don't believe the way he has allocated minutes to the 5 position is one of them.

I actually respect Ed walking away, assuming that's what he has done. Much better to do that than stick around and let team chemistry blow up. We saw how that played last season.

Finally, I was a bit snarky about it earlier, so I'll rephrase it: Wojo has landed a decent number of good to very good recruits, including a top-10 class just this year. Each of those recruits has cited the camaraderie, the cohesion, the "family atmosphere" (whatever terms one uses) of Wojo's program as a main reason he chose Marquette.

If the atmosphere were toxic, wouldn't a recruit sense that? If you were a current unhappy Warrior -- especially a senior, who would have no reason to hold back the truth -- wouldn't you pull aside a recruit and say, "Maybe you should think about going somewhere else, kid"? If Wojo and his assistants truly were horrible ego managers, wouldn't they have difficulty convincing big-ego high school prospects and transfers to attend MU in the first place?

By most accounts, several MU players were thinking about transferring after last season. Aside from the Hausers, none did. If they truly hated Wojo, why would they have stayed?

Every year, the NCAA sets a new record for college basketball transfers. IIRC, TAMU has cited reports showing that most of them are kids who get recruited over and decide to move down a level. That's been the case with the vast majority of Wojo's transfers.

I wish we would never lose a really talented player. I wish we didn't lose Blankson and Mason and Newbill and Mbakwe and Maymon and McKay and the Hausers and Burton. For that matter, I wish we didn't lose Christopherson and Cheatham and Carter. But that's life in 21st century college sports, my friends.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #263 on: January 17, 2020, 07:42:23 AM »

- Deonte
- Traci
- Sandy
- Dawson
- (Wally?)
- Haanif
- Harry
- Sam and Joey
- Ed

Could add Matt Heldt

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #264 on: January 17, 2020, 07:42:59 AM »
I think part of Ed staying was the idea of the two big lineup that never really came to fruition, partially due to Jayce's injury, but moreso due to the changing aspect of the game simply making it a non-reality in the Big East.

Not everyone has the wherewithal to fill the Matt Heldt role, and it seems Ed is in that boat.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2020, 07:52:28 AM »
I think part of Ed staying was the idea of the two big lineup that never really came to fruition, partially due to Jayce's injury, but moreso due to the changing aspect of the game simply making it a non-reality in the Big East.

Not everyone has the wherewithal to fill the Matt Heldt role, and it seems Ed is in that boat.

Disappointments happen all the time.  However, this coming to a head in mid-jan during conference play, with a senior on a team that should still make the NCAA tourney.

It just points to a complete misalignment of expectations and an unhappiness that is disappointing. 

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »

Agree it’s big boy basketball. However, that is a lot of wasted scholarships that have left MU teams short handed (sometime mid season). It also creates imbalance within in each recruiting class, thus needed transfers to patch work the remaining recruiting class together.

I get that kids transfer, but when wojo doesn’t  get guys to buy in he and his coaching staff have to take time away from strategy and game planning (which they’re not great at) to go  try and land additional recruits.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2020, 07:55:19 AM »
Definitely agree with that, and like many I didn't lose a wink of sleep for 7/10 on that list.

But my point is more that an upperclass Cheatham or Carter or whomever could have been good for these teams.

Cheatham had a child I thought....wasn’t that part of the decision?  Carter simply wasn’t going to play as better players came in...he would have been helpful but guys don’t want to sit on the bench.  Carter was at two schools after MU...some people are nomads.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #268 on: January 17, 2020, 07:57:34 AM »
Cheatham had a child I thought....wasn’t that part of the decision?  Carter simply wasn’t going to play as better players came in...he would have been helpful but guys don’t want to sit on the bench.  Carter was at two schools after MU...some people are nomads.

Don't think cheatham had a kid. Also doesn't add up with him being at Nebraska now.
Maigh Eo for Sam

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #269 on: January 17, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »

- Deonte
- Traci
- Sandy
- Dawson
- (Wally?)
- Haanif
- Harry
- Sam and Joey
- Ed

Roster churn is part of college basketball for better or worse.

I suspect it’s worse early in a new (especially first time) head coach’s tenure and gradually improves over time.  Partly due to the need for a new coach to fill the roster and maybe signing guys that are a reach or maybe not a perfect fit for how that coach wants to play.  Over time, as the coach gets more established and has some success, it becomes easier to recruit players that are a better “fit” as well as more talented.  Those early recruits see the writing on the wall and leave. Hard to blame them.  This is just a natural part of taking over a team and doing your job to make that team better and nobody should blame a coach for this.

Where Wojo deserves blame (how much is hard to say) is with managing situations like the Hausers where talented kids that are part of the foundation of the team up and leave. That shouldn’t happen and hopefully Wojo has learned from it and it won’t happen again.  Wojo was only one side of that equation and, contrary to popular opinion, all the blame does not fall to him.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #270 on: January 17, 2020, 08:07:34 AM »

He played after the long 2 attempt.  Knowing Wojo's rotations, I doubt it was even a factor.

And he generally played from one TV timeout to the next.  That is plenty of time.  Ners has been claiming this for years about players he likes that dont pan out.  Its just not accurate. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:09:19 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #271 on: January 17, 2020, 08:08:44 AM »
Don't think cheatham had a kid. Also doesn't add up with him being at Nebraska now.

From what I recall it was a family or personal situation and he did transfer close to home. If that situation no longer exists him ending up at Nebraska doesn't seem odd to me at all.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2020, 08:09:45 AM »
From what I recall it was a family or personal situation and he did transfer close to home. If that situation no longer exists him ending up at Nebraska doesn't seem odd to me at all.

family illness
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2020, 08:09:53 AM »
Woj has to get better evaluating talent and be discriminating (can you say this word here?) with his scholarships. It does him no good to build internal team friction and animosity, particularly since it is obvious Woj is either incapable or unwilling to handle team disharmony. Poor strategy to get in bed with your superstar at the expense of other team members, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2020, 08:11:35 AM »

I was wrong, it was illness in the family....I’m sure among other things.

https://eaglenews.org/sports/cheatham-immediately-eligible-for-upcoming-basketball-season/

feedback