[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Missing Scoopers?  (Read 40273 times)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
Re: Missing Scoopers?
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2020, 09:07:42 PM »
Markus stayed, Hausers go.  Period.  Markus goes, Hausers might stay (one).

Hausers stay, two guys go....not hard who they are.  Both playing now and giving solid minutes and scoring punch. 

Either way, net subtraction of players.

Agreed.  Wojo let it get so bad that there was no way to salvage it.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2020, 09:08:18 PM »
LOL.  You have no idea.  If Hausers back, other guys gone but you refuse to accept this.

Is there a reference article that supports your statement? Who specifically was going to leave?
I don't doubt one or two guys might have transferred, but who?

panda

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2020, 09:09:59 PM »
Agreed.  Wojo let it get so bad that there was no way to salvage it.

Yep. Completely botched. It went from a grievance early in the season which should’ve been fixed to a bust up in the locker room during the Murray State game.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2020, 09:11:54 PM »
Is there a reference article that supports your statement? Who specifically was going to leave?
I don't doubt one or two guys might have transferred, but who?

There are no articles, letters, Nada on any of this.  All innuendo by all sides.  One side wants to believe a letter.  One side believes only a coach involved.  One wants to believe only the Hausers.

Lots of blame to go around, to suggest any one side was guilty of it all it absurd and those people have agendas.  A lot of people have some blame in this situation.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2020, 09:15:25 PM »
There are no articles, letters, Nada on any of this.  All innuendo by all sides.  One side wants to believe a letter.  One side believes only a coach involved.  One wants to believe only the Hausers.

Lots of blame to go around, to suggest any one side was guilty of it all it absurd and those people have agendas.  A lot of people have some blame in this situation.

No one knows anything. Except of course you. Lol

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
Yep. Completely botched. It went from a grievance early in the season which should’ve been fixed to a bust up in the locker room during the Murray State game.

Seton hall***

Which is understandable with a 1/16 player shooting with a wide open Sam

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2020, 09:35:10 PM »

There are some very fine people on both sides.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2020, 09:41:20 PM »
I guess the way it turned out everybody wins except this years team.

Sam gets a year to rehab his hip and play at Virginia.

Joey gets a year to grow up and play at Michigan State.

Markus gets another year to showcase himself.

Wojo gets to use Markus as a recruiting tool for another year.

I Hope the other guys on this years team get something more than a consolation prize.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2020, 09:49:24 PM »
Ners, appreciate the concern. Happy to report that I am doing great. My first daughter was born early Monday morning. Past week has been lots of joy  and not a lot of sleep. Wasn't able to watch the Providence game (sounds like I was lucky) but did see the Seton Hall game. Daughter is doing great but apparently not a good luck charm for Marquette!

Congrats TAMU!  Happy for you. Get some rest and enjoy this special time in your life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2020, 10:40:45 PM »
Also appreciate the concern, Ners. I've been around, even commented a little in a few threads that had nothing to do with the game.

Going into the season, I expected us to be 12-4 overall and 2-2 in the conference at this point. We are all of one game worse than that due to the OT loss to Providence -- apparently the only upset all season in all of college basketball, and the worst defeat any of the 350 D1 programs have suffered in several decades.

So I feel no differently about Wojo or the team today than I did 2 weeks ago or 2 months ago. And it gets exhausting discussing this same subject over and over and over (and over) again with those whose minds were made up long ago.

I come to Hangin' at the Al for recruiting news, injury news and the like, and I also come here to have a little MU hoops related fun. For me, it's not a very fun place after we lose, so I focus my time and energy elsewhere. I haven't even clicked on most Hangin' threads since Providence.

I hope you and all other Scoopers join me in rooting for a more fun environment on this site after Wednesday's game vs. Xavier.

Oh, and a huge congrats to TAMU and Mrs. TAMU!!!!

We Are Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2020, 06:13:17 AM »
I was winning an argument with my wife.    Her facebook time vs my Scoop time.    She has now admitted she is far more addicted to facebook.   

Or, just for you, willie, I was staking out a Wal Mart in Texas waiting for martial law to be declared.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2020, 07:42:32 AM »
Also appreciate the concern, Ners. I've been around, even commented a little in a few threads that had nothing to do with the game.

Going into the season, I expected us to be 12-4 overall and 2-2 in the conference at this point. We are all of one game worse than that due to the OT loss to Providence -- apparently the only upset all season in all of college basketball, and the worst defeat any of the 350 D1 programs have suffered in several decades.

So I feel no differently about Wojo or the team today than I did 2 weeks ago or 2 months ago. And it gets exhausting discussing this same subject over and over and over (and over) again with those whose minds were made up long ago.

I come to Hangin' at the Al for recruiting news, injury news and the like, and I also come here to have a little MU hoops related fun. For me, it's not a very fun place after we lose, so I focus my time and energy elsewhere. I haven't even clicked on most Hangin' threads since Providence.

I hope you and all other Scoopers join me in rooting for a more fun environment on this site after Wednesday's game vs. Xavier.

We Are Marquette.

Well said Brother MU, well said.

I have tended to stay distant in recent days due to the flood of Wojo criticism. While I share some of the concern, at this point we have to wait until season's end to see where we are. In the meantime, I do wish we could tone down the rhetoric and hope for the best this year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2020, 09:03:15 AM »
Are we now claiming we couldn’t possibly get a better coach than Wojo? I’m lost.

Shaka, Howland & Martin specifically.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2020, 09:25:00 AM »
I was winning an argument with my wife.    Her facebook time vs my Scoop time.    She has now admitted she is far more addicted to facebook.   

Or, just for you, willie, I was staking out a Wal Mart in Texas waiting for martial law to be declared.

That's great.  Congrats on the victory!  Welcome back.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »

We Are Marquette.

Sounds good to me.  Looking forward to a win Wednesday night.  Big game for us!

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2020, 11:33:34 AM »
My preseason expectation was 10-11 conference wins, with the potential to win 12+ games and contend for a Big East title if:

• Last season's returning core (Markus, Sacar, Theo, Ed, Jamal, Brendan) stepped up
• The newcomers (Koby, Jayce, Greg, Symir) added athleticism and depth
• Three-point shooting didn't drop significantly (from 38.8% to around 36%)
• The team took better care of the ball (reducing TO% from 239th nationally last season)
• Free-throw rate increased, leading to more open looks inside and on the perimeter
• Defensive efficiency improved

Right now, Marquette looks more like a NCAA bubble team than anything else. Inconsistency rules. Impressive wins like Purdue and Villanova have been followed by disappointing losses. Encouraging signs (team 3PT% currently ranked #5 by KenPom, free throw rate ranked #18) have been tempered by struggles in other areas (2-point FG%, turnovers, rebounding).

The next few games should be telling. All three -- home against Xavier, at Georgetown, then home again against St. John's -- are winnable. If MU can get some momentum and confidence on its side, there's still a chance at a top 3 Big East finish. If not, 8 or 9 wins looks a lot more likely.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2020, 12:32:56 PM »
My preseason expectation was 10-11 conference wins, with the potential to win 12+ games and contend for a Big East title if:

• Last season's returning core (Markus, Sacar, Theo, Ed, Jamal, Brendan) stepped up
• The newcomers (Koby, Jayce, Greg, Symir) added athleticism and depth
• Three-point shooting didn't drop significantly (from 38.8% to around 36%)
• The team took better care of the ball (reducing TO% from 239th nationally last season)
• Free-throw rate increased, leading to more open looks inside and on the perimeter
• Defensive efficiency improved

Right now, Marquette looks more like a NCAA bubble team than anything else. Inconsistency rules. Impressive wins like Purdue and Villanova have been followed by disappointing losses. Encouraging signs (team 3PT% currently ranked #5 by KenPom, free throw rate ranked #18) have been tempered by struggles in other areas (2-point FG%, turnovers, rebounding).

The next few games should be telling. All three -- home against Xavier, at Georgetown, then home again against St. John's -- are winnable. If MU can get some momentum and confidence on its side, there's still a chance at a top 3 Big East finish. If not, 8 or 9 wins looks a lot more likely.

All reasonable, M92.

I agree this next 3-game stretch is important. 3-0, we're in business ... 2-1, still waiting to see what we really can put together ... 1-2, extremely disappointing. (I won't even mention 0-3 as a possibility.)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2020, 03:21:19 PM »
The next three MU games should be W's. Really no excuse if they do not go 3-0.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2020, 04:18:04 PM »
oh but Goose, we know that there will be plenty of excuses.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »
oh but Goose, we know that there will be plenty of excuses.
And whining from wee willie
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2020, 08:51:32 PM »

What were Tony Bennett's "excuses" for losing to BC, South Carolina, Syracuse and by 1000 points to Purdue? Why didn't he go 4-0?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2020, 08:56:48 PM »

Interesting.  Well, it's sports and games have to be played.  MU will be favored in two, and an underdog in the other. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2020, 09:35:01 PM »
What were Tony Bennett's "excuses" for losing to BC, South Carolina, Syracuse and by 1000 points to Purdue? Why didn't he go 4-0?

Funny thing about winning a national championship. Or even a FF or elite 8 - buys some goodwill, a little leeway and gives a coach capital to spend if he needs it. Three “no NCAAs” and 2 first round blow outs don’t do that.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »
Funny thing about winning a national championship. Or even a FF or elite 8 - buys some goodwill, a little leeway and gives a coach capital to spend if he needs it. Three “no NCAAs” and 2 first round blow outs don’t do that.

That's nice that you are emotional out of it....it's a simple question he asked.  How does a championship coach lose those games?  Hmmm.  But but but he won last year so it doesn't matter what he does this year. 

And now year one is a no NCAA...love it....yes, he didn't get to walk into a tailor made scenario like Buzz did, instead he walked into a crap situation that Buzz made.  So yeah, some of those No NCAAs have a lot to do with the roster left behind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2020, 10:38:14 PM »

I totally understand that, Lenny, and I would take Bennett over Wojo in a nanosecond.

But if we can look at a 3-game stretch for MU and say losing any of them suggests horrible coaching, why doesn't losing by 29 points to Purdue suggest something, especially when coupled with losses to 3 other mediocre teams?

I'm not comparing Wojo to Bennett. I'm just comparing the mindsets. I guess you've already answered the question, though. It's all good!