[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 52505 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2020, 03:37:05 PM »
VA Tech, and UNLV were both rumored, don't know if an official offer was extended.  Very real possibility that feelers were sent out to see if there was any reciprocating interest.  If they were sent out, another very real possibility that they were responded to by a "thanks, but no thanks". 

Don't know about "ecstatic", but there was considerable optimism from the VA Tech boards when they thought they were getting Wojo.  A "coming home" of sorts.  Don't know if this is what TAMU is referencing or not.

So we've got a rumor that 1 P6 school offered, excuse me, sent out feelers to Wojo. Essentially, nothing to seriously back up TAMU's assertion. I don't know the truth but I hope TAMU has some actual information concerning the multiple P6 jobs.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2020, 03:58:16 PM »
So we've got a rumor that 1 P6 school offered, excuse me, sent out feelers to Wojo. Essentially, nothing to seriously back up TAMU's assertion. I don't know the truth but I hope TAMU has some actual information concerning the multiple P6 jobs.

He interviewed with VT. They offered.

Unsure about any other P6 school.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2020, 04:19:49 PM »

Is this verified/true?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2020, 04:28:25 PM »

I wrote what I wrote because like you, I don't know what offers may or may not have come in. Given TAMUs history here, I highly doubt he would have said what he said without some form of insider information.  Whether you like it or not, Wojo has and will continue to attract interest from other programs around the country.  Are you such a No-Jo that you refuse to accept that other programs may be interested in him?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2020, 04:35:36 PM »
Is this verified/true?

People I trust close to the program have confirmed it to me. Was it ever verified/confirmed publicly? Not sure. I do know two VT reporters published that he interviewed and he was the frontrunner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:36:07 PM by Pakuni »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2020, 05:00:56 PM »
Correct, because with the cheating and other crap that has gone on at Kentucky for ages...you cannot afford not to win.

We ain’t Kentucky

ya know it's bad when the school helps ya cheat and still can't win, hey ohhh
don't...don't don't don't don't

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2020, 05:33:49 PM »
People I trust close to the program have confirmed it to me. Was it ever verified/confirmed publicly? Not sure. I do know two VT reporters published that he interviewed and he was the frontrunner.

Thanks for clarification. Part of the pitch of the ProJo’s has been that Wojo = stability and would likely remain at MU a long time.

Actually going and interviewing at VaTech certainly suggests he’s not necessarily any more long for MU than were his predecessors.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2020, 05:36:52 PM »
I wrote what I wrote because like you, I don't know what offers may or may not have come in. Given TAMUs history here, I highly doubt he would have said what he said without some form of insider information.  Whether you like it or not, Wojo has and will continue to attract interest from other programs around the country.  Are you such a No-Jo that you refuse to accept that other programs may be interested in him?
I did write that I did not know the facts. I was asking a question. I did not dispute what anyone said, I simply asked for factual proof. I could have called the statement BS, but instead asked for evidence.

Seems to me a No-Jo would make up rumors of Wojo looking at other jobs to make it seem like he has one foot out the door at MU. A true Pro-Jo would question those rumors.

I would hope that all true MU fans would want Wojo to become attractive to high level programs.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2020, 05:39:21 PM »
Thanks for clarification. Part of the pitch of the ProJo’s has been that Wojo = stability and would likely remain at MU a long time.

Actually going and interviewing at VaTech certainly suggests he’s not necessarily any more long for MU than were his predecessors.

I believe you are right. Not a good sign Wojo is in it for the long haul.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2020, 05:43:47 PM »

If true, these should easily be found. Can you link?

Edit: A quick google search finds nothing.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2020, 05:50:56 PM »
I did write that I did not know the facts. I was asking a question. I did not dispute what anyone said, I simply asked for factual proof. I could have called the statement BS, but instead asked for evidence.

Seems to me a No-Jo would make up rumors of Wojo looking at other jobs to make it seem like he has one foot out the door at MU. A true Pro-Jo would question those rumors.

I would hope that all true MU fans would want Wojo to become attractive to high level programs.

Just because a coach is not openly flirting with the entire state of Texas, or threatening to leave in order to win a power struggle with his bosses/get a raise does not mean that they're not being targeted by other programs. 

Most of this stuff happens behind closed doors and comes to nothing, which is why most of this stuff never has factual proof.  Curious what factual proof you would be looking for too, because Wojo/MU would never say that the idea of leaving was serious since he's still here and that'd be a bad look, and other schools would never say that they targeted him, but couldn't land him as that's a bad look for them (correct me if I'm wrong but despite it being common knowledge here, MU never said anything official about failing to land Shaka).  Given the amount of smoke coming from both sides fans I would highly guess that the rumors are true and Wojo was targeted even if there was no "official" interview or offer. 

Buzz to A&M was the worst kept secret in cbb last year, and (I believe this is still true), most major coaches/ADs use the FF as a convention of sorts.  It would have been very easy for VT to conduct low level "interviews" on the DL that there is no "proof" of.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 05:53:30 PM by Its DJOver »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2020, 06:30:07 PM »
Good read on what went wrong for Shaka at UT.

https://sports.yahoo.com/shaka-smart-lost-his-way-by-abandoning-what-made-him-successful-094336729.html
I think this paragraph really sums up Shaka’s struggles at Texas, and is another way of saying he’s a poor program fit. What he did at VCU wasn’t a fluke and he hasn’t forgotten how to coach. I think he’s a much better fit for a brand like the Warriors. That’s just my opinion.
    It appears Smart believes the marquee recruits he chases at Texas prefer a traditional, NBA-conducive system to the all-out, helter-skelter style that propelled VCU to national relevance. Perhaps Smart also questions whether he can implement HAVOC as successfully with freshmen and sophomores as he did with the junior- and senior-laden teams he coached at VCU. 
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2020, 06:50:18 PM »

What were the rumors from Va Tech to Buzz...when did we find out about them?

How about IU to Crean?

Your honor, the defense rests.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2020, 07:03:01 PM »
Just because a coach is not openly flirting with the entire state of Texas, or threatening to leave in order to win a power struggle with his bosses/get a raise does not mean that they're not being targeted by other programs. 

Most of this stuff happens behind closed doors and comes to nothing, which is why most of this stuff never has factual proof.  Curious what factual proof you would be looking for too, because Wojo/MU would never say that the idea of leaving was serious since he's still here and that'd be a bad look, and other schools would never say that they targeted him, but couldn't land him as that's a bad look for them (correct me if I'm wrong but despite it being common knowledge here, MU never said anything official about failing to land Shaka).  Given the amount of smoke coming from both sides fans I would highly guess that the rumors are true and Wojo was targeted even if there was no "official" interview or offer. 

Buzz to A&M was the worst kept secret in cbb last year, and (I believe this is still true), most major coaches/ADs use the FF as a convention of sorts.  It would have been very easy for VT to conduct low level "interviews" on the DL that there is no "proof" of.
Maybe I should have said reports from credible sources. I'm not denying anything but I have a hard time taking MUScoop posts as gospel.

We have claims that Wojo was being considered for two P6 jobs and that two reporters published that Wojo interviewed for VT and was the front runner. Neither of these claims have been substantiated.

I'm the No-Jo guy because I ask for some evidence? Maybe we have poster's trying to make Wojo look bad for trying to get out of MU?

Lastly, I don't know what 'low level interviews' are. Either you interview because you are interested in the job or you don't. If the story was VT reached out to Wojo and he said 'no thanks', that's a totally different story. If you believe VT interviewed Wojo, then you better be ready for him to jump ship.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2020, 07:08:53 PM »
If you don't know the difference between bringing someone in for a formal interview when there is a position available and quietly inferring that you would be interested in someone as a candidate before the job is technically open, even though everyone knows that it will be, and you're going to need official statements from either Wojo, MU, or a school targeting Wojo, none of which will ever happen, so you will forever be searching for your evidence, and when it fails to surface you will be convinced that none such exists.  In this case, I can't really help you out. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2020, 07:18:58 PM »
If you don't know the difference between bringing someone in for a formal interview when there is a position available and quietly inferring that you would be interested in someone as a candidate before the job is technically open, even though everyone knows that it will be, and you're going to need official statements from either Wojo, MU, or a school targeting Wojo, none of which will ever happen, so you will forever be searching for your evidence, and when it fails to surface you will be convinced that none such exists.  In this case, I can't really help you out.
It sounds like your saying VT reached out to gauge Wojo's interest. That's not Wojo interviewing with VT. The poster specifically said there were two reports that Wojo interviewed for the job.

If you've never been contacted by a company or search firm for a job and know that is not remotely close to engaging in an interview, I can't really help you out.

Honestly, I don't know if this is some sort of ploy to make Wojo look like he is looking to get the hell out of MU or what?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 07:22:19 PM by WhiteTrash »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2020, 07:22:12 PM »
It sounds like your saying VT reached out to gauge Wojo's interest. That's not Wojo interviewing with VT. The poster specifically said there were two reports that Wojo interviewed for the job.

If you've never been contacted by a company or search firm for a job and know that is not remotely close to engaging in an interview, I can't really help you out.

Honestly, I don't know is this is some sort of ploy to make Wojo look like he is looking to get the hell out of MU or what.

I don't know why you're looking for some "smoking gun" that Wojo was approached about another job.  Is there any "factual proof" that Shaka turned us down? How do we know that he wasn't just brought in for an interview and MU brass decided he wasn't cut out for the job? The point is that lack of "factual proof" should not and does not dismiss these coaching changes rumors.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2020, 07:27:48 PM »
I don't know why you're looking for some "smoking gun" that Wojo was approached about another job.  Is there any "factual proof" that Shaka turned us down? How do we know that he wasn't just brought in for an interview and MU brass decided he wasn't cut out for the job? The point is that lack of "factual proof" should not and does not dismiss these coaching changes rumors.
I think your picking a fight with the wrong person. I was not the one making the claims. I guess your point is we should accept anything posted here as fact? On that point, I can not agree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »

Unsure about any other P6 school.

I wouldn't go that far. Don't believe everything you hear.

UCLA is the other one that put out feelers.

People are kidding themselves if they don't think Wojo wouldn't be a hot commodity if he was looking to make a change. No landing any blueblood positions but he could land at another P6 pretty easily.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2020, 07:49:31 PM »
I think your picking a fight with the wrong person. I was not the one making the claims. I guess your point is we should accept anything posted here as fact? On that point, I can not agree.

So I guess you didn't think Buzz was going to A&M until he was announced because everything before was "just a rumor". On the day he announced you thought we had a 33.33% chance to land Dawson, because all reports were rumors. Think Ed is coming back because everything saying that he quit is just a rumor. Not saying they're always correct,  but considering who's said that Wojo was targeted I'll choose to believe them, you don't have to.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »

I second this.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2020, 08:08:40 PM »
So I guess you didn't think Buzz was going to A&M until he was announced because everything before was "just a rumor". On the day he announced you thought we had a 33.33% chance to land Dawson, because all reports were rumors. Think Ed is coming back because everything saying that he quit is just a rumor. Not saying they're always correct,  but considering who's said that Wojo was targeted I'll choose to believe them, you don't have to.
I still think you are pointing your angst at the wrong person.

I have read here that Wojo was on the verge of getting fired. Then MU gives him an extension.

I have read here that MU's administration absolutely loves him. Then MU gives him that modest extension.

So, yes, I don't take anything here as fact without some credible support.

Unless I am given any reliable information, I don't believe Wojo has been a candidate for a P6 job and I think anyone who claims he has been interviewing for them is trying to undermine Wojo's commitment to MU.

Agreed to disagree. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »
Can ANYONE provide any source about Wojo being interviewed by VT or any other program?

I've now seen people claim there were published reports of this.

But I haven't seen any source (the published stories) to back this up.

I'm not questioning that the interview/feelers/backroom discussions did/did not happen. I'm questioning the published stories/reports.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
The Wojo to UNLV was created by social media.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein