[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?  (Read 53702 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Texas Fans Done With Shaka Smart - Is His Fate Tied To Wojo's?
« Reply #275 on: October 16, 2023, 02:58:20 PM »
Happy to have been wrong about Wojo.  I'll never apologize for rooting for the success of the sitting head coach of Marquette's basketball team.  But we're clearly in a much better place now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #276 on: October 16, 2023, 03:10:25 PM »
Always entertaining to read another Chicos pees down his leg and issues a massive choke job of a post.  Then again there were plenty of other Scooper "Intelligencia" that were all in on Wojo and thought it would be ludicrous to fire Wojo.

Such memories. It is remarkable how someone who spoke with such authority could be so wrong about so many things so much of the time.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #277 on: October 16, 2023, 04:08:55 PM »
There certainly were some "fun" takes in here, mostly by hoopaloop but lots of others by lots of Scoopers; even a couple by me.

And then there's this mope's take:
Well sure..as I'd mentioned - I was surprised Shaka didn't have more success at Texas, and it was in response to your continued beating of the drum that Wojo and Shaka were essentially equal caliber coaches.  Thankfully, we did get to know and Shaka has proved your constant criticism and comparisons of him to Wojo during the Wojo years were ridiculous.

Shaka has been a borderline disaster at Texas. Expectations were so much higher.

Talk about a downward trend line ... just look at Shaka's since the Final Four, which now was eons ago.

There is no evidence at all from the last 5-6 years to suggest Shaka is a better coach than any of 100+ other coaches, including Wojo. He got his chance to step up in class ... and he has failed.

Would he have been better at Marquette than he is at Texas? We'll never know. Mrs. Shaka made sure of that.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2023, 04:31:47 PM »
"Would he have been better at Marquette than he is at Texas? We'll never know."

LOL
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2023, 05:09:14 PM »
I really hope - obviously I guess - that we completely crush Texas this year. 

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2023, 05:17:59 PM »
Let's see, he's already won more tournament games here, so things are looking good for shaka thus far.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2023, 05:53:45 PM »
Well, anyone sitting around waiting for Marquette to fire a coach is now in their 21st straight year of misery, right? I'm glad we don't fire coaches, and continue to believe it would be insane to fire Wojo even if Marquette did fire coaches.
Posts that did not age well for 500.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2023, 05:54:43 PM »

There is a part of me that wants him to leave, set the world on fire, win a natty or two while our program goes into the toilet to purge the crazies for a ten year run.  I don’t really want that to happen, but the disconnect from reality sometimes needs a massive jolting action and historical reset.

Posts that did not age well for 10000.

You also still owe me $200.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2023, 05:55:49 PM »
It's been over two years since this blog was updated. I wonder why? Articles like "Shaka Smart would be a dumb move" have aged so well.

https://www.mupoop.com/

MUPOOP hates us. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #284 on: October 16, 2023, 06:12:59 PM »
Happy to have been wrong about Wojo.  I'll never apologize for rooting for the success of the sitting head coach of Marquette's basketball team.  But we're clearly in a much better place now.

Wades

I wish you had been right about Wojo - we might have another National Championship to our credit.

And nobody has to apologize for rooting for success for MU and the sitting head coach. I was rooting for it long after I knew Wojo wasn’t the goods.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 07:42:00 PM by Lennys Tap »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #285 on: October 16, 2023, 06:51:28 PM »
Wades

I wish you had been right about Wojo - we might have another National Championship to our credit.

And nobody has to apologize for rooting for success for MU and the sitting head coach. I was rooting it long after I knew Wojo wasn’t the goods.

I dont think there were many people actively rooting for Wojo to fail. But pointing out his many mistakes, and lack of basketball knowledge.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2023, 07:46:45 PM »
"What is...?"
Wojo
Shaka
Cord Cutting
NIL
NCAA penalties by end of the summer
Other shoe to drop
Larry Williams
Traditionals
5...I mean 7 years to judge
What's a Chicos

Great Jeopardy category: Things that Cheeks was wildly wrong about". Where is the boy? Boise?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2023, 08:10:44 PM »
Well sure..as I'd mentioned - I was surprised Shaka didn't have more success at Texas, and it was in response to your continued beating of the drum that Wojo and Shaka were essentially equal caliber coaches.  Thankfully, we did get to know and Shaka has proved your constant criticism and comparisons of him to Wojo during the Wojo years were ridiculous.

Nice spin, but ... "Actually Shaka's performance is pretty similar to Wojo’s.  ... I would have felt Shaka would do a better job there and certainly appears he’s not any better than Wojo - other than having had the one run at VCU."

Your words.

I'm glad GE03 bumped this thread because it was fun and enlightening to read that you said almost the exact same thing about Shaka that you've criticized others for.

Glad he made it to Marquette despite criticism from the likes of me and you. He's doing a hell of a job for our alma mater.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #288 on: October 16, 2023, 08:56:17 PM »
Nice spin, but ... "Actually Shaka's performance is pretty similar to Wojo’s.  ... I would have felt Shaka would do a better job there and certainly appears he’s not any better than Wojo - other than having had the one run at VCU."

Your words.

I'm glad GE03 bumped this thread because it was fun and enlightening to read that you said almost the exact same thing about Shaka that you've criticized others for.

Glad he made it to Marquette despite criticism from the likes of me and you. He's doing a hell of a job for our alma mater.

I could go back and probably quote 50+ posts you made being critical of Shaka during the Wojo era.  And of those 30 I probably called you out on about half of them - and your incessant desire to try to claim Wojo and Shaka were comparable coaches.

In order to be a bit more civil with you (and not engage in your frequent desire to become argumentative) I gave you some grace when you pointed out Wojo and Shaka's performances hadn't been too different - other than pointing out Shaka won an NIT title and Wojo had the quarterfinal appearance, and that Shaka had a previous Final Four in his pocket.  And of course I said I was also surprised Shaka hadn't had more success at Texas.

By the way, while we are on the subject of Wojo, during which season did I say he didn't have it/and was a poor coach?  I'll hang up and listen.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #289 on: October 16, 2023, 09:00:51 PM »
Did Chico’s create a new moniker or has he really not posted since Shaka was hired?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #290 on: October 16, 2023, 09:01:56 PM »
Did Chico’s create a new moniker or has he really not posted since Shaka was hired?

He’s gone off the deep end on “X”. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #291 on: October 16, 2023, 09:26:21 PM »
He’s gone off the deep end on “X”.
Chico’s real name is Elon? ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #292 on: October 16, 2023, 09:47:45 PM »
I could go back and probably quote 50+ posts you made being critical of Shaka during the Wojo era.  And of those 30 I probably called you out on about half of them - and your incessant desire to try to claim Wojo and Shaka were comparable coaches.

In order to be a bit more civil with you (and not engage in your frequent desire to become argumentative) I gave you some grace when you pointed out Wojo and Shaka's performances hadn't been too different - other than pointing out Shaka won an NIT title and Wojo had the quarterfinal appearance, and that Shaka had a previous Final Four in his pocket.  And of course I said I was also surprised Shaka hadn't had more success at Texas.

By the way, while we are on the subject of Wojo, during which season did I say he didn't have it/and was a poor coach?  I'll hang up and listen.

Perfect response from one of the most argumentative posters in Scoop history.

Good spin again, too.

“Actually Shaka's performance is pretty similar to Wojo’s.  ... I would have felt Shaka would do a better job there and certainly appears he’s not any better than Wojo - other than having had the one run at VCU."

Love it. And again, I’m glad it looks like we were both wrong.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #293 on: October 17, 2023, 05:47:58 AM »
My lord. We are about to tip off the most anticipated Marquette season in decades and people are fighting over who said what about Wojo? 

Y’all are making 4ever’s obsession with Crean seem normal and level-headed. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2023, 06:51:28 AM »
ND sucks

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2023, 07:48:02 AM »
My lord. We are about to tip off the most anticipated Marquette season in decades and people are fighting over who said what about Wojo? 

ND sucks

Well done sir

MU82

• All American
« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2023, 08:52:36 AM »

First time reading Scoop? Welcome!

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #297 on: October 17, 2023, 08:54:32 AM »

I do think a special exception could be made for dunking on Chicos’ hot takes.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #298 on: October 17, 2023, 12:10:20 PM »
Crean is in MU's HOF twice.  MU has always appreciated him, made him set for life. But like all people, he is flawed. It sounds like he atoned for his sins.

That said in the history of MU basketball coaches, with the exception of Rick, MU was their high water mark. Shaka needs a Natty to top his Final 4 at VCU, however.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #299 on: October 17, 2023, 12:34:26 PM »
Crean is in MU's HOF twice.  MU has always appreciated him, made him set for life. But like all people, he is flawed. It sounds like he atoned for his sins.

That said in the history of MU basketball coaches, with the exception of Rick, MU was their high water mark. Shaka needs a Natty to top his Final 4 at VCU, however.

TIL Tex Winter never made it better than a very mediocre couple years at MU.
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback