[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Bracketology 2019-2020  (Read 126775 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Bracketology 2019-2020
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2020, 05:11:23 PM »
Hmmm, gee I don't know Tony..perhaps losing to them leads to a lower seed. How about you not do that to begin with...that's my point.
It's too late for that.  You can wish and wish and wish and it isn't going to happen.  So now the reality is that if Wisconsin suffers too many more losses it will affect MU's seed.  That's how it works.  You don't have to like it, but raging against the mechanics is like farting in the wind.  So root against the Bagders all you want, I often do, them's the facts.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2020, 05:20:13 PM »
Win out including the BET, gets you a 3 seed on T-Rank.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »
what does marquette need to do for a 3 seed?

Go 5-2 and finish second in the Big East and that should be enough. I do plan to address this in a future update.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2020, 06:03:32 PM »
Of course, yours is likely double digits(reasonable), mine is not. People just see what they want to see I guess...when they lose a game, it's because of this or because of that. Look, sometimes it's that simple, yes. But believe me when I tell you there have been PLENTY of games they had no business losing through the years. If you can't tell when one team is more talented(and this is different than being a better TEAM), then watch more basketball.

For me, regardless of anything else, I will take talent 100 times out of 100. Will it always win?? of course not, especially in a 1 game setting, but sometimes(regardless of what Vegas says), you just know when one team is supposed to beat another. And keep in mind, Vegas will almost always favor a home team once you get into conference play. That however does not mean you're supposed to/or are expected to lose that game. That's just the way Vegas works. Do you really believe that everyone that sets lines, actually believes the team they have as an under dog(simply because they are on the road) will really or should lose that game?? That's what vegas does my friend..Use your eyes, not Vegas lines to decide those things...at least if you trust your eyes.
Your reasonable loss number is not even fair to the team. The bar is set so high that maybe kansas or duke could consistently meet it any given season. Correct me if I'm wrong but you do give out a "losing at home is never acceptable" vibe. How many teams achieve this? How many never lose a bad game? I'm guessing here but based off your comments it seems like what maryland and Hall are the only "reasonable l" losses thus far? If that were the case and we only lost those we'd be like top 5 right now. This is my whole my point it's just crazy high standards and If they aren't met you feel validated to go off the team/coaches. You should probably go be a fan of kansas because your "reasonable loss" number will not be met here most years.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2020, 06:15:03 PM »
Win out including the BET, gets you a 3 seed on T-Rank.

I'd like to believe 27-6, 2nd in the BE(at worst) and a BET title would get us comfortably to a 2 seed

That would be winning 10 more games. With probably 7 of those ending up being Q1.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2020, 07:35:52 PM »
Espn bracketology

Marquette 5
Furman
Penn state
San Diego State
Duke

I would take that all day

Final 4 possible

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2020, 08:01:33 PM »
they had some bracketologist on after, but I dont recall seeing the Badgers in the field
Lol. That is Jerry Palm.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2020, 09:27:29 PM »
Your reasonable loss number is not even fair to the team. The bar is set so high that maybe kansas or duke could consistently meet it any given season. Correct me if I'm wrong but you do give out a "losing at home is never acceptable" vibe. How many teams achieve this? How many never lose a bad game? I'm guessing here but based off your comments it seems like what maryland and Hall are the only "reasonable l" losses thus far? If that were the case and we only lost those we'd be like top 5 right now. This is my whole my point it's just crazy high standards and If they aren't met you feel validated to go off the team/coaches. You should probably go be a fan of kansas because your "reasonable loss" number will not be met here most years.

Let me preface my comments first by saying...I NEVER like losses, though fully understanding they will happen. No one goes unbeaten. That's a reality.  So by definition, no loss to me is "acceptable". Understandable...yes. Acceptable...never.

Let's take a look at their losses this year..Wisconsin...was absolutely LIVID they not only lost that game, but got their doors blown off. UNACCEPTABLE. Anyone that thinks this is a very talented UW team is smoking something. They are 14-10. You are what your record says you are. Now that being said, i HATED that that game was played so early in the year. I wished it would have been played at it's normal time. Because even though I hated that loss, I never had a good feeling about it simply because of when it was played, MU needed it to be later so they would have had time to have found their offensive identity. Mitigating circumstances with that one, so it's whatever.

Maryland...Never want to say I expect a loss, but had a feeling they weren't going to win that game. That's all that needs to be said about that.

Creighton...what in the actual unnatural carnal knowledge was that performance?? Appalling to say the least. Didn't see that coming.

Providence...I have made my stance clear on this one repeatedly...not much more needs to be said, other than..That one still sticks with me. I have seen a lot of WTF losses from MU at home through the years(unfortunately), but that one..really REALLY sticks with me.

Seton Hall...they are the best team in the conference...BUT, I hope no one forgets MU did have an 11 point lead in that game, only to get their doors blown off the rest of the way..not a good look.

Butler...seriously?? You lead that game basically the ENTIRE time only to not be able to stop Baldwin on the same play...repeatedly. Need to see more proof of how that was an inexcusable loss?? What did MU just do to them Sunday?? Gave them their worst loss of the year...and that was way more than home court at work. To me, that's just the difference in talent on the two teams. Oh yeah, let's also not forget MU lost @ Butler when they were playing without one of the top defenders in the conference. That should have been like taking candy from a baby, going back and taking more. Was one of the most confident I had been all year in a game being a "W".

Now, let's be 100% realistic shall we?? Let's ignore what Vegas lines or anything else says, and let's think about this through an actual "basketball" lens. They have had, overall a hell of a season to this point, there's no denying that. But, I want to touch on something that I think needs to be mentioned..let's stop and think about who exactly MU has beaten in conference this year..

Nova-Home
Butler-Home
Xavier X 2
SJU-Home
DePaul-Home
Georgetown-Road

Now...again, if we are honest, of all the games on the schedule to this point, again being realistic, there is no way you can't say that you would at the very least think they would win all of these games, with the exception of maybe Nova, although that was at home. Right?? In their two biggest test of the year...@ Creighton and @ Hall...they lost both. They have another big test tomm night @ Nova. Again, the season has been good so far, but this hasn't been lost on me that over the last few years at least, if you go through their conference schedules and look at their W's..a lot of them are against "lessor" teams in the conference.

Now of course on one hand, that's taking care of business like you'd expect them to do. However, in all honesty what I really think has kept this program from taking that next step or at least one I'd desperately like to see them take..that's getting a HUGE win over someone in the top of the league...where maybe no one sees it coming. Those have been lacking for the most part. I'm not sure why...it's what's keeping them from winning a conference championship for sure.

It just seems ot me like whenever they have some positive momentum in their favor over the last couple of years and they have a chance to REALLY run with it...they have failed to get the job done. Again, I WANT the nation to start talking about MU, start respecting MU, start FEARING MU and anytime they have had the chance to cement themselves, they haven't gotten it done..I sure hope tomorrow night is the start of a turning of the corner.

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2020, 11:07:08 PM »
It just seems ot me like whenever they have some positive momentum in their favor over the last couple of years and they have a chance to REALLY run with it...they have failed to get the job done.

How many games in a row does a team have to win to have what you define as "some positive momentum," guru?

Last season, we had two 8-game winning streaks. So that means that twice, we won 5 games in a row - which I think most would call "some positive momentum" and both times they won No. 6, adding to that positive momentum. Then they won No. 7, adding to it again. Then they won No. 8, adding to it again.

Only a Nojo who criticizes most everything our coach does would describe winning an eighth straight game - twice! - as "failing to get the job done."

Obviously, I wish they hadn't lost again, had turned 8 into 9 into 10 into 11 into 12 eventually into a national title. But let's not pretend they didn't take some positive momentum and run with it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2020, 02:06:12 AM »
Continuing to trend up in the Bracket Matrix. We jumped over Iowa and now hold the top 6 seed. Highest anyone has us seeded is 4 and the lowest is 7.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #235 on: February 12, 2020, 05:55:50 AM »
How many games in a row does a team have to win to have what you define as "some positive momentum," guru?

Last season, we had two 8-game winning streaks. So that means that twice, we won 5 games in a row - which I think most would call "some positive momentum" and both times they won No. 6, adding to that positive momentum. Then they won No. 7, adding to it again. Then they won No. 8, adding to it again.

Only a Nojo who criticizes most everything our coach does would describe winning an eighth straight game - twice! - as "failing to get the job done."

Obviously, I wish they hadn't lost again, had turned 8 into 9 into 10 into 11 into 12 eventually into a national title. But let's not pretend they didn't take some positive momentum and run with it.

Mike, it's not always about how many in a row you win for me, it's about who did you beat in that span...to me that matters, others it may not. Also, let's not over look the fact that with 4 games to play MU needed ONE win to be Big East champs..1...that's it. Heck even as late as the last game of the year at home to a bad Georgetown team they still had a chance to be co champs..and didn't get it done. So to me, it's not necessarily about individual games in a row, it's about what did those games as a collective unit get you.

I will give a great example..they waxed Butler on Sunday...so let's say they beat Nova tonight, and Creighton next week all in a row..Not only would that be what 8 of 9, but beating Nova, Creighton, Butler all consecutively, HAS to really raise their national profile. Now, change that to...beating DePaul, SJU and Georgetown all in a row making it also 8 of 9. That's quite different wouldn't you say?? Yes, it's still 8-9...but..the optics are WAY different at least on a National scale I'd say. In the end, you arrive in  the same place, yes, but how you got there is what is different.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 07:00:50 AM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2020, 08:07:02 AM »
Continuing to trend up in the Bracket Matrix. We jumped over Iowa and now hold the top 6 seed. Highest anyone has us seeded is 4 and the lowest is 7.

This is one of two things that have me baffled:

1) Penn State ahead of Kentucky
2) Marquette ahead of Iowa

On Saturday, the Selection Committee showed everyone the answer key. Since then, Kentucky and Iowa haven't done anything to change their status as "next teams up." Yet somehow, Penn State and Marquette are respectively ahead of them.

They showed you the answers! And you still went in and put the wrong answers down on your homework. WTF?!?

(Sorry, rant over)
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2020, 08:18:37 AM »
Mike, it's not always about how many in a row you win for me, it's about who did you beat in that span...to me that matters, others it may not. Also, let's not over look the fact that with 4 games to play MU needed ONE win to be Big East champs..1...that's it. Heck even as late as the last game of the year at home to a bad Georgetown team they still had a chance to be co champs..and didn't get it done. So to me, it's not necessarily about individual games in a row, it's about what did those games as a collective unit get you.

I will give a great example..they waxed Butler on Sunday...so let's say they beat Nova tonight, and Creighton next week all in a row..Not only would that be what 8 of 9, but beating Nova, Creighton, Butler all consecutively, HAS to really raise their national profile. Now, change that to...beating DePaul, SJU and Georgetown all in a row making it also 8 of 9. That's quite different wouldn't you say?? Yes, it's still 8-9...but..the optics are WAY different at least on a National scale I'd say. In the end, you arrive in  the same place, yes, but how you got there is what is different.

Guru

If you believe this team is a top echelon team you will be disappointed most years.  The team is playing well right now but has plenty of holes...they will be exploited at times the rest of the year.

I am enjoying watching the guys fight like hell to represent Marquette
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »
Nice try, I LIVE for the NCAA selection show, I'm well aware of how it works. Answer my question...if you're intelligent enough to do so..If team A takes care of their own business during the year, does it matter what your opponents do the rest of the way?? Especially if it's one's you shouldn't have lost to to begin with??

It makes ZERO difference...do what you need to do and what you can control as a team, and everything will be fine. In other words, win games...lots of them. It's very simple.

Except whether you win or lose, since there is no direct system of wins/losses to compare all 36X teams eligible, you have to base the tournament on things like strength of schedule.   So even if we beat WI, the idea that we're better off if they make the tournament still stands. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2020, 10:29:30 AM »

guru, thanks for taking the time to explain your position better.

During our first 8-game winning streak last season, we beat teams that (at the time we played them) were ranked No. 12, No. 12 and No. 14. Also beat Louisville on a neutral court.

I would argue that wins over Louisville, K-State and Wisconsin (as well as three cupcakes) gave us lots of "positive momentum."

You claim that they "failed to get the job done" whenever they had some positive momentum going. But that's 6 straight wins, including 2 over top-12 teams and another over a good Louisville team ... and they DID then "get the job done" by soundly defeating a Buffalo team that had gotten a lot of national attention, one coached by a guy many Scoopers drool over. Won the next game, too, to run the streak to 8. My view: Got the job done. Yours: Failed because we then lost to St. John's.

After opening BEast play with that loss to St. John's, we started another 8-game streak -- one that would include 4 home games and 4 road games over Big East rivals. At any point during that streak, one could say MU had "some positive momentum." And at any point during the first 7 of those games, one could say we absolutely did NOT "fail to get the job done." But no, MU didn't win the 9th game, so, in your eyes, we failed (even though our heroes followed that with a 4-game winning streak).

Yes, we all know the Warriors fell apart down the stretch last season. In the end, yes, we absolutely failed to get it done. That sucked. But it doesn't mean we failed to get it done earlier in the season when we had "some positive momentum." Once you have to change the subject, the point you are trying to make is weakened.

As for your next point ...

Sure, let's say we win at Nova tonight, beat Creighton at home, win at Providence and beat Georgetown at home to run our winning streak to 7 games, improve our record to 21-6, stake a solid claim for a top-4 NCAA seed and all but clinch second place in the conference. But then let's say we lose a tough game to Seton Hall.

You will say that we got some positive momentum and then failed to get it done. I will say that we got positive momentum with wins at Xavier, over DePaul and over No. 13 Butler and then DID get it done by beating No. 15 Nova, No. 23 Creighton, and solid Providence and Georgetown teams.

I will look at the positive and, while always expecting victories, understand that even championship-level teams lose sometimes.

You will say Wojo failed again.

Again, guru, I appreciate you being willing to have a less-contentious conversation, but it's difficult to come to an agreement with somebody who just about always wants to pounce on the bad but usually seems to have trouble seeing the good.

So I guess we'll never really see eye-to-eye until my alma mater wins another national title.

Here's hoping we both live long enough to really agree!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2020, 11:16:45 AM »
guru, thanks for taking the time to explain your position better.

During our first 8-game winning streak last season, we beat teams that (at the time we played them) were ranked No. 12, No. 12 and No. 14. Also beat Louisville on a neutral court.

I would argue that wins over Louisville, K-State and Wisconsin (as well as three cupcakes) gave us lots of "positive momentum."

You claim that they "failed to get the job done" whenever they had some positive momentum going. But that's 6 straight wins, including 2 over top-12 teams and another over a good Louisville team ... and they DID then "get the job done" by soundly defeating a Buffalo team that had gotten a lot of national attention, one coached by a guy many Scoopers drool over. Won the next game, too, to run the streak to 8. My view: Got the job done. Yours: Failed because we then lost to St. John's.

After opening BEast play with that loss to St. John's, we started another 8-game streak -- one that would include 4 home games and 4 road games over Big East rivals. At any point during that streak, one could say MU had "some positive momentum." And at any point during the first 7 of those games, one could say we absolutely did NOT "fail to get the job done." But no, MU didn't win the 9th game, so, in your eyes, we failed (even though our heroes followed that with a 4-game winning streak).

Yes, we all know the Warriors fell apart down the stretch last season. In the end, yes, we absolutely failed to get it done. That sucked. But it doesn't mean we failed to get it done earlier in the season when we had "some positive momentum." Once you have to change the subject, the point you are trying to make is weakened.

As for your next point ...

Sure, let's say we win at Nova tonight, beat Creighton at home, win at Providence and beat Georgetown at home to run our winning streak to 7 games, improve our record to 21-6, stake a solid claim for a top-4 NCAA seed and all but clinch second place in the conference. But then let's say we lose a tough game to Seton Hall.

You will say that we got some positive momentum and then failed to get it done. I will say that we got positive momentum with wins at Xavier, over DePaul and over No. 13 Butler and then DID get it done by beating No. 15 Nova, No. 23 Creighton, and solid Providence and Georgetown teams.

I will look at the positive and, while always expecting victories, understand that even championship-level teams lose sometimes.

You will say Wojo failed again.

Again, guru, I appreciate you being willing to have a less-contentious conversation, but it's difficult to come to an agreement with somebody who just about always wants to pounce on the bad but usually seems to have trouble seeing the good.

So I guess we'll never really see eye-to-eye until my alma mater wins another national title.

Here's hoping we both live long enough to really agree!

I don't think I am explaining myself well enough..so let me try a better way. Everything you say is 100% true. ANY winning streak is positive momentum, no doubt about it. But, I guess I'm talking more about what that individual game it self could potentially mean. In a lot of ways, yes it's all directly correlated as far as seeding etc. But...let's provide an example..last year, with as bad as that "collapse" at the end of the year was, they had one game remaining against a bad Georgetown team on MU's home floor. Not only that, they had just gotten help that day(with throngs of fans watching on TV in the lobbies, hooting and hollering).

So...yes, the stretch at the end absolutely sucked...BUT, you now have a chance, even after all of that to "right the wrong". Win ONE game, on your home floor against a bad team, with the Big East trophy on the line, and no one will remember or care about the losing streak prior.

Now let's take a look at tonight's game..one can look at it and say "it's just another game on the schedule" and a loss won't hurt them. Likely 100% true that a loss will not hurt them. However, it's what a win could get them(potentially) that is so meaningful. As another poster so distinctly put it...he's not scared of losing this game, he's scared of what this could potentially mean for MU's upside the rest of the year(probably not exactly that way, but that's the jist of it).

They are now ranked for the 1st time all year(not that that necessarily means a whole lot), tonight's game is on the road, and it's a chance(pending the results of Hall-Creighton), to either take sole possession of 2nd place...or stay in a tie for 2nd and move one game closer to Hall for 1st. These are the kinds of "moments" and games I was referring too. A win tonight and people nationally really start to talk about MU. Not to mention how the committee will view it etc.

If they lose, they will still have the nice winning streak they had put together prior, but...a GREAT opportunity will have been lost.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »
Marquette is what their record says they are. So no losses or wins should be that big of a deal.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »

It just seems ot me like whenever they have some positive momentum in their favor over the last couple of years and they have a chance to REALLY run with it...they have failed to get the job done. Again, I WANT the nation to start talking about MU, start respecting MU, start FEARING MU and anytime they have had the chance to cement themselves, they haven't gotten it done..I sure hope tomorrow night is the start of a turning of the corner.
I don't think I am explaining myself well enough..so let me try a better way. Everything you say is 100% true. ANY winning streak is positive momentum, no doubt about it. But, I guess I'm talking more about what that individual game it self could potentially mean. In a lot of ways, yes it's all directly correlated as far as seeding etc. But...let's provide an example..last year, with as bad as that "collapse" at the end of the year was, they had one game remaining against a bad Georgetown team on MU's home floor. Not only that, they had just gotten help that day(with throngs of fans watching on TV in the lobbies, hooting and hollering).

So...yes, the stretch at the end absolutely sucked...BUT, you now have a chance, even after all of that to "right the wrong". Win ONE game, on your home floor against a bad team, with the Big East trophy on the line, and no one will remember or care about the losing streak prior.

Now let's take a look at tonight's game..one can look at it and say "it's just another game on the schedule" and a loss won't hurt them. Likely 100% true that a loss will not hurt them. However, it's what a win could get them(potentially) that is so meaningful. As another poster so distinctly put it...he's not scared of losing this game, he's scared of what this could potentially mean for MU's upside the rest of the year(probably not exactly that way, but that's the jist of it).

They are now ranked for the 1st time all year(not that that necessarily means a whole lot), tonight's game is on the road, and it's a chance(pending the results of Hall-Creighton), to either take sole possession of 2nd place...or stay in a tie for 2nd and move one game closer to Hall for 1st. These are the kinds of "moments" and games I was referring too. A win tonight and people nationally really start to talk about MU. Not to mention how the committee will view it etc.

If they lose, they will still have the nice winning streak they had put together prior, but...a GREAT opportunity will have been lost.
So your example for their inability to build on positive momentum is a loss that was preceded by a 3 game losing streak?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
So your example for their inability to build on positive momentum is a loss that was preceded by a 3 game losing streak?

No, it's not really about momentum...that got lost in translation some how. I'm talking more about rising to the occasion when a big moment presents itself. Like the Georgetown game last year, like tonight's game.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2020, 03:06:23 PM »

We both agree that it would have been lovely to have won that Georgetown game. Same with the Creighton game that Joey pretty much handed to our opponent. Same with any other game down the stretch. It all sucked, lost opportunities all, including the one in the tournament.

And yes, tonight's game presents a great opportunity. Like you, I hope we play better than Villanova does, play harder than they do, and make the big plays down the stretch if it's a close game.

People already have started to take notice; hence us going from unranked to #18 in one week's time. If we do manage to win it, yep, more will notice us. Kinda like last year. Then the next game becomes the HUGE ONE we have to win to keep it going. And then the one after that.

We are in agreement. I hope Marquette is up for the challenge. I think we will be. I also think Nova will be. Sources say they have a very good coach and a bunch of talented players, too.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #245 on: February 14, 2020, 08:10:58 AM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

6 seed in Cleveland.  Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather be a six playing the winner of a Dayton game than a 5.  Not so much because of the chance that the opponent would have tired legs, but that they would have 2 less days to scout/game plan for us, while we'd be able to watch their "first four" game and have more time to scout them.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #246 on: February 14, 2020, 08:58:45 AM »

6 seed in Cleveland.  Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather be a six playing the winner of a Dayton game than a 5.  Not so much because of the chance that the opponent would have tired legs, but that they would have 2 less days to scout/game plan for us, while we'd be able to watch their "first four" game and have more time to scout them.

I’m sure they’d have an assistant in charge of scouting Marquette. We’d probably have 2 coaches on one team and 2 on the other. I remember Buzz was not happy about being up against a Play-in team due to the scouting disadvantage.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2020, 09:15:16 AM »

6 seed in Cleveland.  Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather be a six playing the winner of a Dayton game than a 5.

Not unpopular with me. I share it.

I'd also rather be a non-Dayton-game 11 seed than a 9 seed.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #248 on: February 14, 2020, 09:16:14 AM »
This is one of two things that have me baffled:

1) Penn State ahead of Kentucky
2) Marquette ahead of Iowa

On Saturday, the Selection Committee showed everyone the answer key. Since then, Kentucky and Iowa haven't done anything to change their status as "next teams up." Yet somehow, Penn State and Marquette are respectively ahead of them.

They showed you the answers! And you still went in and put the wrong answers down on your homework. WTF?!?

(Sorry, rant over)

Umm mu beat butler and iowas has absolutely gotten their doors blown off twice.  Why shouldnt MU be ahead of Iowa, what has iowa done this entire year that is impressive?  Big ten overhyped because half the broadcasters and writers are big ten grads
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #249 on: February 14, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
I also wouldn't hate this specific draw to get to the second weekend. As much as Press Virginia can be intimidating in the past, this team has lost to St. Johns and Kansas State.