[Today at 07:53:14 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by PJDunn
[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tomorrow's game is sold out  (Read 31913 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Tomorrow's game is sold out
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »
Alcohol is often a factor, lord knows I’ve been a terrible person to be around at a sporting event after being over served.

Booing the refs is interesting.  Does it help?  I’d have to search but studies show refs “favor” the home team more often than not.  Does booing then intimidate them or embolden them?

Nova fans booing?  I do know Wojo never gets applause on the intros so I just thought it was the Nova fans. Where did the booing come from? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2020, 11:14:55 AM »
It’s a free country, sure, but I don’t get the “booing thing” period. Our guys, their guys, the refs - IMO it speaks volumes about the one doing the booing and zero about those being booed.
Well said.   The booers character revealed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2020, 11:19:54 AM »
Booing can be good. It shows there’s a level of expectation.  Wojo should feel glad he’s at a place where fans care.   He could be Patrick Baldwin coaching in front of 300 people.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2020, 11:26:15 AM »
Each of our last 3 coaches recruited players whom the rules, at the time, permitted them to recruit.

Crean didn't do anything underhanded to get Wade in school. Same with Buzz/Jae and Wojo/Henry. The school let those players in. The NCAA let those players play.

We could argue all day about whether or not those should have been the rules, but they WERE the rules. And I'm glad each coach followed the rules to bring in each of those fine young men.

We Are Marquette!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2020, 11:45:08 AM »
Each of our last 3 coaches recruited players whom the rules, at the time, permitted them to recruit.

Crean didn't do anything underhanded to get Wade in school. Same with Buzz/Jae and Wojo/Henry. The school let those players in. The NCAA let those players play.

We could argue all day about whether or not those should have been the rules, but they WERE the rules. And I'm glad each coach followed the rules to bring in each of those fine young men.

We Are Marquette!!

Our supposed mission is to educate people with the purpose of getting a degree or at least the opportunity to get it if they put the work in.  We have often been above what the NCAA’s bar of requirements have been, and that is a good thing.  The idea of renting someone that has no chance at that opportunity whether in the immediate timeframe while playing or years later if they comeback to finish that degree is squirmy at best.  I expect that from some schools. 

We have taken / recruited all kinds of kids to MU over the year with one ABSOLUTE guarantee...you do the work, pass your classes you can earn a degree from MU.  When that is made impossible, that is plain wrong.  Are we a university or something else?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:56:28 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2020, 12:01:57 PM »
Our supposed mission is to educate people with the purpose of getting a degree or at least the opportunity to get it if they put the work in.  We have often been above what the NCAA’s bar of requirements have been, and that is a good thing.  The idea of renting someone that has no chance at that opportunity whether in the immediate timeframe while playing or years later if they comeback to finish that degree is squirmy at best.  I expect that from some schools. 

We have taken recruited all kinds of kids to MU over the year with one ABSOLUTE guarantee...you do the work, pass your classes you can earn a degree from MU.  When that is made impossible, that is plain wrong.  Are we a university or something else?

It’s never impossible. Stop lying.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2020, 12:03:45 PM »

We have taken recruited all kinds of kids to MU over the year with one ABSOLUTE guarantee...you do the work, pass your classes you can earn a degree from MU.  When that is made impossible, that is plain wrong.  Are we a university or something else?

Thanks for your take. I choose not to debate you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2020, 12:11:35 PM »
And the rest are free to judge you.

Kinda like Scoop, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2020, 12:12:45 PM »
Booing can be good. It shows there’s a level of expectation.  Wojo should feel glad he’s at a place where fans care.   He could be Patrick Baldwin coaching in front of 300 people.

Solid kin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »

Kinda like Scoop, aina?
Every breath you take, every move you make, every smile you fake, every rule of the English language you break...

The world is judging you.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2020, 12:31:13 PM »

Why can't Jae Crowder earn a degree from MU?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2020, 12:37:25 PM »
Back to the sellout... Between MU and the Bucks, almost 36,000 people were at the Fiserv to watch ball. The spots in the Deer District were packed. Third Street was packed.

I know it's a romantic notion to have a bandbox on campus, but what we have with the quality of arena, surrounding establishments, and proximity to campus is incredible. The visiting fans I talk with love coming to games in MKE because of that. The FF is not cheap, but it's a gameday experience that can't be replicated in a lot of places.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:44:04 PM by MUfan12 »

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2020, 01:56:19 PM »
Why can't Jae Crowder earn a degree from MU?

He can. So can Todd Mayo et al
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
“Get your degree at Marquette and your education at da ‘Lanche.”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2020, 02:21:34 PM »

He can. So can Todd Mayo et al

(I know ... it was rhetorical)
It's almost as if someone set out a specific, narrowly tailored set of circumstances so as to disparage a particular player and coach.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2020, 02:27:00 PM »
It's almost as if someone set out a specific, narrowly tailored set of circumstances so as to disparage a particular player and coach.

Katin can get his post-graduate degree too at anytime.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2020, 03:38:31 PM »
It’s never impossible. Stop lying.

I can see the recruiting pitch now in the family home

“Mrs Player Mom

We want your son to come to Marquette University to play basketball and earn a degree credits because most of the credits he brings in we don’t offer a degree here in that discipline, but if he wishes to start from scratch and negate most of what he did the first years in Junior College he can eventually earn a degree.   Sound good?  We look forward to him joining the family.”

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2020, 03:40:56 PM »

Disparage...you mean because it is squirmy as hell and no longer allowed at MU....yeah...such disparagement....so much so we changed our policy and should have.  I wouldn’t call that a disparagement, but rather an ethical correction on what we are disclosing and offering as opportunities to these young men and women.  Glad we are no longer playing that game.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
ND sucks.

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2020, 03:45:06 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 03:49:30 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2020, 03:50:20 PM »
Disparage...you mean because it is squirmy as hell and no longer allowed at MU....yeah...such disparagement....so much so we changed our policy and should have.  I wouldn’t call that a disparagement, but rather an ethical correction on what we are disclosing and offering as opportunities to these young men and women.  Glad we are no longer playing that game.

You're being silly and getting desperate.
Jae was and continues to be a fantastic representative for Marquette basketball and the university as a whole.
You clearly misunderstand Marquette's mission.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2020, 05:38:44 PM »
It's possible for Jae to be a great representative of Marquette & Marquette to want to recruit athletes in the future that can graduate in the time allotted to them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2020, 05:45:44 PM »
You're being silly and getting desperate.
Jae was and continues to be a fantastic representative for Marquette basketball and the university as a whole.
You clearly misunderstand Marquette's mission.

Jae is great. I agree with you.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »
Is Jae worse off because he hasn't gotten his degree?? Nope, not one bit. sIs MU as a University worse off because he didn't?? Not one single bit. No harm, no foul. Jae is a great representative of the University and in fact, I'd wager MU has benefited from his fame. 
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »
It's possible for Jae to be a great representative of Marquette & Marquette to want to recruit athletes in the future that can graduate in the time allotted to them.

1. Isn't this the case 99 percent of the time?
2. False choice fallacy.
3. Time allotted to them = years of NCAA eligibility = dumb logic.
The time allotted to Jae is the rest of his life.