[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Coaching Candidates  (Read 162555 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: MU Coaching Candidates
« Reply #375 on: January 28, 2021, 07:53:22 PM »
Ummm...Al McGuire.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #376 on: January 28, 2021, 07:58:54 PM »
Would never make it today.   Three point line, shot clock, would be in trouble for fighting with players.    Everybody is mining what used to be his fertile recruiting areas.    Arguing with administration.    Flirtations with the NBA.   Terrible record at a basketball backwater.      fuggedaboutit
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:00:27 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #377 on: January 28, 2021, 08:14:51 PM »
Would never make it today.   Three point line, shot clock, would be in trouble for fighting with players.    Everybody is mining what used to be his fertile recruiting areas.    Arguing with administration.    Flirtations with the NBA.   Terrible record at a basketball backwater.      fuggedaboutit

NBA experience: Check
Recruiting network: Check.
Teacher: Check
Assistant College Coach: Check
Successful first stint as head coach: Check (109-63, 5 post-seasons, got NYC kids to attend in the South)
Understood Role as Program leader: Check
School fit: Catholic, blue collar

Tell me Al wasn’t more qualified than Mullin or Ewing? Now, would MU’s current Admin hire him is really the question. That, sir, is the issue.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #378 on: January 28, 2021, 08:20:32 PM »

Yep. Lovell, the BOT and several of Scoop’s experts would choose Wojo over him every time. Who wouldn’t want to be Duke North?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #379 on: January 28, 2021, 08:26:54 PM »
Any coaching hire is a crap shoot.   Al turned out to be a genius for his time.    Wojo hasn't. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2021, 08:50:59 PM »
Who is the Winthrop Coach?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2021, 08:53:30 PM »
Any coaching hire is a crap shoot.   Al turned out to be a genius for his time.    Wojo hasn't.

You’re 100% right, Tower. But here’s the thing...

Both Al and Wojo got the job because they “blew away the room” when they interviewed. I get it with Al. As Dick Enberg said, he “owned every room he walked into”. I’m sure he blew away any room anytime he wanted to. Can you imagine Wojo ever blowing away any room? Has he said or done anything in 7 years that indicate he has that in him? Not to me. Tells you something about the people who were in that room.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2021, 08:57:06 PM »
Who is the Winthrop Coach?

Pat Kelsey. Played for Skip Prosser. Coached with Skip Prosser and Chris Mack.

He has Winthrop top 3 in their league for the 8th straight year. And they are on their way to a possible 4th league title in those 8 seasons. (He's been there nine.) He accepted the UMass Head Coaching position in 2017 and changed his mind at the last minute.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:01:39 PM by shoothoops »

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2021, 09:13:34 PM »
Pat Kelsey would be a great hire. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2021, 10:27:32 PM »

Both Al and Wojo got the job because they “blew away the room” when they interviewed. I get it with Al. As Dick Enberg said, he “owned every room he walked into”. I’m sure he blew away any room anytime he wanted to. Can you imagine Wojo ever blowing away any room? Has he said or done anything in 7 years that indicate he has that in him? Not to me. Tells you something about the people who were in that room.
Must have been a very boring room...
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2021, 10:40:14 PM »
Pat Kelsey. Played for Skip Prosser. Coached with Skip Prosser and Chris Mack.

He has Winthrop top 3 in their league for the 8th straight year. And they are on their way to a possible 4th league title in those 8 seasons. (He's been there nine.) He accepted the UMass Head Coaching position in 2017 and changed his mind at the last minute.

Good coach who has been successful at Winthrop, but from what I hear, he’s got kind of a crap reputation in coaching circles after the UMASS and then NKU situations, changing his mind, moving goalposts into discussions, etc... Hes been a good consistent coach for some time, at a school with a low (sub $300K) salary in a bad conference.  He should be a hot name annually,   But he’s just not, the situations at those schools likely have something to do with it

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #386 on: January 28, 2021, 11:46:22 PM »

I think Wojo's interview had less to do with him and more to do with the fact that not only was he the anti-Buzz in every sense, but the stench of Cuonzo's interview a few days prior still lingered.  As George Costanza said, it was the "perfect combination of Mountain Dew and mozzarella."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #387 on: January 29, 2021, 04:29:43 AM »

Pretty sure the only room Woj blew away had an M on the door, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #388 on: January 29, 2021, 04:29:45 AM »

Nobody would give a crap about him “blowing away a room” or any of the other silly criticisms about him...if he won more on the court.

If fact if he would be winning more, I would argue that there really is not much negative about Wojo.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #389 on: January 29, 2021, 05:12:34 AM »
If fact if he would be winning more, I would argue that there really is not much negative about Wojo.

Yeah, and if John Wayne Gacy wasn’t a murderer, I’d argue he’d be the exact type of clown you’d want to hire for your child’s next birthday party.

You should really consider charging for this type of premium content.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #390 on: January 29, 2021, 05:26:49 AM »
Biggest pile of speculative BS posted here in a long time by the #1 Wojo excuser.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #391 on: January 29, 2021, 05:30:33 AM »
Must have been a very boring room...
excuses.
.....until Wojo-Dukiet whipped out his power point, which then turned the room into a fourth of July fireworks celebration.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #392 on: January 29, 2021, 05:58:48 AM »
Good job, boo-boo, of letting the sarcasm go right over your head.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #393 on: January 29, 2021, 06:37:29 AM »
Tell me this is sarcasm as well...because some school's/AD's have pretty good track records.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #394 on: January 29, 2021, 06:50:24 AM »
Nope.  Any coaching change is a crap shoot.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #395 on: January 29, 2021, 06:51:43 AM »
Tell me this is sarcasm as well...because some school's/AD's have pretty good track records.

Who? Im honestly curious if that's the case.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #396 on: January 29, 2021, 07:07:08 AM »
Who? Im honestly curious if that's the case.

This hurts to say, but off the top of my head, Badgers are one such school- Bennett, Ryan, Gard.  Even Stu Jackson.  And they pulled the plug very quickly on Van Gundy and Soderberg. 

• All American
« Reply #397 on: January 29, 2021, 07:28:28 AM »
Yeah, and if John Wayne Gacy wasn’t a murderer, I’d argue he’d be the exact type of clown you’d want to hire for your child’s next birthday party.

You should really consider charging for this type of premium content.

Apparently the point went over your head per usual.

All the criticisms about Wojo, from not "electrifying the room" to his press conferences to his sideline huddles, are irrelevant.  What is relevant is that he isn't winning enough on the court and the reasons for that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #398 on: January 29, 2021, 07:30:44 AM »
This hurts to say, but off the top of my head, Badgers are one such school- Bennett, Ryan, Gard.  Even Stu Jackson.  And they pulled the plug very quickly on Van Gundy and Soderberg. 

Barry Alvarez has hired one basketball coach - the one promoted as an assistant who he reportedly wasn't sold on.  He also biffed on a football coaching search and many would say on the latest hockey search.

So we may want to pump the brakes on that one.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #399 on: January 29, 2021, 07:33:43 AM »
The list of non-Power 5/Big East schools in Ken Pomeroy top 50 for both adjusted offense and defense:

Loyola Chicago, Houston, Gonzaga, SLU.