Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: USC receives level 1 notice of allegations from NCAA for basketball  (Read 31117 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: USC receives level 1 notice of allegations from NCAA for basketball
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2019, 01:35:41 PM »
Bingo.

Just another hill for Cheeks to die on.

They might even lose a year in the NCAA tournament.  It took Louisville almost two years to be ranked number 1 again after that. 

The NCAA is incapable of policing its members
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
Yeah, we'll just ignore the major punishments against USC, Kentucky, Penn State, Michigan, Louisville, etc, etc, etc

Yeah, these programs are really suffering.  Cheating doesn't pay, guys!

Keep shilling for the man, Cheeks.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
The NCAA is worthless

Something my coach used to say is quite relevant here: “opinions are like azz holes, everybody has one. But you’re still wrong.”
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 05:53:34 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2019, 02:32:33 PM »

Easy on cheeks.  He’s been getting paid a lot of money for the past 45 years working in the sports field.  He knows.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »
They might even lose a year in the NCAA tournament.  It took Louisville almost two years to be ranked number 1 again after that. 

The NCAA is incapable of policing its members
We all know the NCAA is not perfect. But you do know Louisville lost a Championship and is looking at even more serious violations and sanctions?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:14:49 PM by WhiteTrash »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
We all know the NCAA is not perfect. But you do know Louisville lost a Championship and is looking at even more serious violations and sanctions?

Yes, the fans and alum are mourning that loss and getting rid of all memorabilia of that season.  Recruits have avoided the school in droves because of it.  If you think they “lost” a championship, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

As for more sanctions, I’m sure they’ll never recover.  NCAA sanctions historically cripple programs for decades.  It’s often a great deterrent and other programs look at the carnage make sure something like that doesn’t happen at their institution.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2019, 03:27:55 PM »
If it were, then no punishments would be handed out....but many have.  Because you don't like the timing or the fact their hands are often tied because of jurisdiction and lack of subpoena power is fine, but they aren't worthless.  Making such a claim is...well...worthless.

Does that matter at all anymore?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »
Yes, the fans and alum are mourning that loss and getting rid of all memorabilia of that season.  Recruits have avoided the school in droves because of it.  If you think they “lost” a championship, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

As for more sanctions, I’m sure they’ll never recover.  NCAA sanctions historically cripple programs for decades.  It’s often a great deterrent and other programs look at the carnage make sure something like that doesn’t happen at their institution.

Bingo

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2019, 04:14:47 PM »
The NCAA isn't worthless. I quite enjoy college sports and they are the body responsible for managing them. Without the NCAA, college sports wouldn't be what they are today. Saying their worthless is like saying Wojo doesn't deserve any credit when the team is doing well.

The NCAA also has shortcomings and can be improved. Denying this and deflecting blame is like saying Wojo is the perfect coach and is beyond reproach.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
The NCAA isn't worthless. I quite enjoy college sports and they are the body responsible for managing them. Without the NCAA, college sports wouldn't be what they are today. Saying their worthless is like saying Wojo doesn't deserve any credit when the team is doing well.

The NCAA also has shortcomings and can be improved. Denying this and deflecting blame is like saying Wojo is the perfect coach and is beyond reproach.

I would generally agree with this. However, if they (cartel members) really wanted to clean-up their sports, they would fully fund the enforcement staff and increase the penalties for the grey market economy.  The other option is to allow pay for play. The NCAA doesn't really want either, and that is why it is a failed organization to many of us.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 05:50:01 PM »

The goal isn’t to kill them, Pakuni.  USC still hasn’t recovered in football.  Penn State was in the wilderness for years.  Etc. If people don’t think ripping down that Louisville title doesn’t sting you all are out to lunch.  Same for Michigan’s Final Four.

I’m sorry they didn’t castrate each player and disembowel the coaches / boosters...but they paid and some still haven’t recovered.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2019, 05:51:24 PM »
We bitch about the timing because Stan Wilcox, the head of the NCAA infraction investigations, promised that the violations would be issued before the end of summer (and before the start of the season). Instead, seven of the alleged implicated schools are in Pomeroy’s Top 30...and that’s not counting the Nike schools who also had allegations or Creighton.

Incredibly, the cartel member schools with the most egregiously alleged behaviors like Self, Wade and Miller, still gainfully employ, promote and defend these loyal street soldiers.

False.  Already proven to be false the last time we went through this and you keep going down this path.  Read the quote he said...the full quote, not the one wrongly quoted by some news outlets, but the full unedited quote.

“The NCAA continues to investigate potential rules violations stemming from the Southern District of New York allegations and subsequent court proceedings. We are aggressively and thoroughly pursuing information and using all tools available to us through the NCAA infractions process," the NCAA said in a statement. "As a result, we expect that at least six Division I men's basketball programs will receive NCAA notice of allegations within the coming months, and likely additional schools thereafter. Colleges and universities have a responsibility to run their athletics programs within NCAA rules. Our membership expects us to hold accountable those who fail to do so."

The schools that could receive notices of allegations were not identified.

Stan Wilcox, the NCAA's vice president of regulatory affairs, told CBS Sports on Wednesday at an athletic directors conference in Orlando, Florida, that two programs might receive notices of allegations by early July and that four more probably will receive them by the end of the summer.”
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:03:49 PM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »
Easy on cheeks.  He’s been getting paid a lot of money for the past 45 years working in the sports field.  He knows.

How’s Jayce Johnson doing this year?

And no, 45 years ago I was living in South America and attending school as a child before moving back to the USA.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2019, 05:53:55 PM »
Does that matter at all anymore?

Of course it does.  Why wouldn’t it?  If you cannot compel people to testify that is a huge disadvantage.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2019, 06:08:58 PM »
Crean sucks

God Bless the State of Wisconsin

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2019, 06:18:22 PM »

How’s Jayce Johnson doing this year?

And no, 45 years ago I was living in South America and attending school as a child before moving back to the USA.

Jayce is awful.  And cmon cheeks, we all know you are a 75 year old man still grinding it out in “the sports business”

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2019, 06:29:19 PM »

Jayce is awful.  And cmon cheeks, we all know you are a 75 year old man still grinding it out in “the sports business”

Not awful...your expertise exposed long ago on this.

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2019, 06:31:06 PM »
Not awful...your expertise exposed long ago on this.
[/quote

Nope.  Not convincing anyone yet.  Keep trying old man

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2019, 06:37:55 PM »

You obviously have never met a Louisville fan. They hate the NCAA and want to sue both the NCAA and their own BoT over the lost Title. It is a huge deal to UofL fans and UK fans remind them of it constantly, which makes it even worse for them.

As for the program rebounding  quickly, that will happen when there is so much money and great facilities at some of these programs. The NCAA can't squash UofL into NJIT.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
The goal isn’t to kill them, Pakuni.  USC still hasn’t recovered in football.  Penn State was in the wilderness for years.  Etc. If people don’t think ripping down that Louisville title doesn’t sting you all are out to lunch.  Same for Michigan’s Final Four.

I’m sorry they didn’t castrate each player and disembowel the coaches / boosters...but they paid and some still haven’t recovered.

USC hasn’t recovered because they hired Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian and Clay Helton. 

Penn State didn’t even have a losing season and won a Big Ten title 5 whole years after the events that should have ended their football program. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »

Nope.  Not convincing anyone yet.  Keep trying old man

LOL.  Keep convincing everyone here JJ is awful, you are doing an amazing job of it.  To the point half the board here wants JJ to start now.  Yup, you nailed this one.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 09:44:52 PM by Cheeks »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »
You obviously have never met a Louisville fan. They hate the NCAA and want to sue both the NCAA and their own BoT over the lost Title. It is a huge deal to UofL fans and UK fans remind them of it constantly, which makes it even worse for them.

As for the program rebounding  quickly, that will happen when there is so much money and great facilities at some of these programs. The NCAA can't squash UofL into NJIT.

They should hate the NCAA.  It’s a terrible organization.  I’m sure Louisville fans never bring up Kentucky basketball once getting the death penalty or the Eddie Sutton era or the Calipari’s vacated Final 4’s.  They can wipe their tears with a 2013 title banner or maybe towel

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2019, 06:44:40 PM »
LOL.  Keep convincing everyone here JJ is awful, you are doing an amazing job of it.  To the point half the board here wants JJ to start now.  Yup, you nailed this one.

Nope...  Still not close.  Your basketball knowledge has become even more underwhelming if that is even possible.  What else ya got??   We’re all waiting.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2019, 08:05:04 PM »
USC hasn’t recovered because they hired Lane Kiffin, Steve Sarkisian and Clay Helton. 

Penn State didn’t even have a losing season and won a Big Ten title 5 whole years after the events that should have ended their football program.

Because USC was on probation and great coaches scared off....this another result of the punishment.  Nevertheless the reality is Kiffin was considered a hot hire, Sark also from Washington.  The penalties USC suffered in scholarship reductions hurt them badly and took time to get back up to speed.

Penn State had 2 years at 7-6 and one at 7-5....wandering in the wilderness.

Michigan basketball went through 6 years of no post season.

I can go on and on.   Sure, some rebound faster, but let’s not pretend the punishment doesn’t hurt and some schools take years to get back....if ever.