[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: USC receives level 1 notice of allegations from NCAA for basketball  (Read 31122 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: USC receives level 1 notice of allegations from NCAA for basketball
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2019, 08:36:05 PM »
But, then there is UNC, Miami, Duke (jewelry). Coach Cal?  Two time violator, no show cause. How many times has Bruce been caught cheating now? I have lost count but he keeps on his game that's for sure. I can go on and on and on.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2019, 09:50:20 PM »
But, then there is UNC, Miami, Duke (jewelry). Coach Cal?  Two time violator, no show cause. How many times has Bruce been caught cheating now? I have lost count but he keeps on his game that's for sure. I can go on and on and on.

Cal is not a two time violator...we cannot be allowed to have our own set of facts.  As much as I think he is dirty, there is no evidence linking him to it.

Miami got put on probation several times.

Duke jewelry, you know the evidence wasn’t there as much as people want it to be.  UNC has been beaten to death...no jurisdiction by NCAA and for good reason. 

No question some schools have gotten away with stuff...no question. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2019, 09:54:48 PM »
Coach Cal has had two Final Four appearances vacated by the NCAA.  Whether or not you choose to believe that he had nothing to do with either, and my opinion is that he had nothing to do with the first, but plenty to do with the second, is up to you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2019, 09:58:07 PM »
Cal is not a two time violator...we cannot be allowed to have our own set of facts.  As much as I think he is dirty, there is no evidence linking him to it.

Miami got put on probation several times.

Duke jewelry, you know the evidence wasn’t there as much as people want it to be.  UNC has been beaten to death...no jurisdiction by NCAA and for good reason. 

No question some schools have gotten away with stuff...no question.

Hmmm...UMASS + Memphis = 2 for Cal. Cheeks' math at work again.

Miami football investigation?  A total NCAA cluster.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2013/3/27/4154708/ncaa-botched-miami-investigation-mark-emmert-donna-shalala

Duke + UNC = Crapshoot

And on and on and on
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 10:03:05 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2019, 10:19:57 PM »
The NCAA isn't worthless. I quite enjoy college sports and they are the body responsible for managing them. Without the NCAA, college sports wouldn't be what they are today. Saying their worthless is like saying Wojo doesn't deserve any credit when the team is doing well.

The NCAA also has shortcomings and can be improved. Denying this and deflecting blame is like saying Wojo is the perfect coach and is beyond reproach.

Agreed completely.  Uncle Rico is advocating for, ....actually I don’t know what he is advocating for.  Are there regulations and rules that you are for and others your are not?  Should any team be able to do whatever they want?  Besides saying they are worthless, what would you do differently?  What would you recommend as a governing body.  Do you not want an NCAA tournament?  Do you think all teams should be in?  Should all teams be able to claim a championship win or lose?  Should we say some teams can travel and others can’t?  Do you want an attempt at an even playing field or do you want complete anarchy?  What do you want? Do you even like college basketball because there are rules and a governing body? 

Honestly, I don’t know how you’d answer any of these these questions.  You are just repetitive with the NCAA sucks mantra. 

My opinion:  The NCAA is inherently imperfect but not close to useless.  They are doing the job they have been asked to do.  If the schools change major policies on recruiting and eligibility issues the NCAA will adapt based on an edict from their membership.   Until then, they represent the Universities who formed them and the University we all root for.  It’s not that hard of a concept.   

jonny09

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football/2013/3/27/4154708/ncaa-botched-miami-investigation-mark-emmert-donna-shalala

Duke + UNC = Crapshoot

And on and on and on

Cheeks is Well known in the sports community.  He’s been making a lot of money in his field for a long time. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2019, 10:30:07 PM »
Coach Cal has had two Final Four appearances vacated by the NCAA.  Whether or not you choose to believe that he had nothing to do with either, and my opinion is that he had nothing to do with the first, but plenty to do with the second, is up to you.

More on the first.  I think you are wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2015/03/26/sports/ncaabasketball/coach-caliparis-wonderful-life-begin-the-disclaimers.amp.html

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 14, 2019, 10:43:41 PM »
Because USC was on probation and great coaches scared off....this another result of the punishment.  Nevertheless the reality is Kiffin was considered a hot hire, Sark also from Washington.  The penalties USC suffered in scholarship reductions hurt them badly and took time to get back up to speed.

Penn State had 2 years at 7-6 and one at 7-5....wandering in the wilderness.

Michigan basketball went through 6 years of no post season.

I can go on and on.   Sure, some rebound faster, but let’s not pretend the punishment doesn’t hurt and some schools take years to get back....if ever.

You do go on and on, and on  and on.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2019, 11:02:28 PM »

I can go on and on.   Sure, some rebound faster, but let’s not pretend the punishment doesn’t hurt and some schools take years to get back....if ever.

Yep. Look how much MU has struggled to get back from the sanctions that came after all those “other shoes” dropped.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2019, 11:46:10 PM »
You do go on and on, and on  and on.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2019, 12:20:32 AM »
False.  Already proven to be false the last time we went through this and you keep going down this path.  Read the quote he said...the full quote, not the one wrongly quoted by some news outlets, but the full unedited quote.

Listen, I have no animosity toward anyone on this board. I find 99% of it entertaining. Cheeks and I had some common buddies at Marquette. However, the fact that you have the balls to call someone out by referencing a “full quote” after that post you made concerning the reporter in the Richard Jewell movie wherein you selectively included portions of quotes made about her either shows a complete lack of self-awareness or the fact that you are a total hypocrite.

I mean lecturing someone about reading a full quote after completely omitting portions of a quote that give a commentary context? Get real bro.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2019, 03:07:52 AM »
Listen, I have no animosity toward anyone on this board. I find 99% of it entertaining. Cheeks and I had some common buddies at Marquette. However, the fact that you have the balls to call someone out by referencing a “full quote” after that post you made concerning the reporter in the Richard Jewell movie wherein you selectively included portions of quotes made about her either shows a complete lack of self-awareness or the fact that you are a total hypocrite.

I mean lecturing someone about reading a full quote after completely omitting portions of a quote that give a commentary context? Get real bro.

This x1,000.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »
The NCAA has a thankless job. They're doing it thanklessly.

Look, the NCAA always has been political. Look no further than our own history with the basketball division. The whole issue of Adolph Rupp sending us to the NCAA Midwest in 1970, which prompted us going to the NIT; the whole Bob Lackey contract mess in 1972 and even the Maurice Lucas matter in 1974, when Marquette was prepared to sue the the NCAA to get Maurice Lucas back for his senior season (he took the money anyway and went pro).

For those of you who don't think the NCAA is political, go back and listen to Coach McGuire's tirade following the Kansas State game in 1977. I think it speaks for itself.

Since Coach McGuire left, with rare exception we have not been the object of the NCAA's scorn. The reason: we haven't been good enough or controversial enough to warrant it!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2019, 07:44:49 AM »
Al's perceived victimization by the NCAA cost MU the chance to compete for the 1970 title.  It was not one of his finer qualities.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2019, 08:16:00 AM »

Well done.

If only Chicos could get banned for a week for every hypocrisy, we’d never have to deal with him.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2019, 09:38:30 AM »

LOL

How did I selectively include portions of quotes on Richard Jewell? 

Secondly, the issue with the NCAA school punishment is that several posters here kept wrongly quoting a story that was inaccurately written in the media...the journalist left those key words I put in red out of the article.  I showed the comparison back in September how one site got it right and the other didn’t.  That was my point.  Now, maybe the site I got the Richard Jewell quotes did the same thing and I don’t have other quotes, if so that’s fine and I am happy to be introduced to them....but I didn’t selectively quote anything.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2019, 09:39:26 AM »
Well done.

If only Chicos could get banned for a week for every hypocrisy, we’d never have to deal with him.

If on,y you were banned for anti-homosexual and anti-gay imagery in your avatar that is still allowed here, it would be a better place.  Please change it...offensive.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #67 on: December 15, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »

Duke + UNC = Crapshoot

And on and on and on

Was coach Cal implicated in either of them?

Miami has been punished multiple times.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2019, 09:41:48 AM »
The goal isn’t to kill them, Pakuni.  USC still hasn’t recovered in football.  Penn State was in the wilderness for years.  Etc. If people don’t think ripping down that Louisville title doesn’t sting you all are out to lunch.  Same for Michigan’s Final Four.

I’m sorry they didn’t castrate each player and disembowel the coaches / boosters...but they paid and some still haven’t recovered.

USC hasn't recovered from poor coaching decisions. The sanctions are well behind them.
Penn State's "years of wilderness" saw them suffering zero losing seasons after the Paterno thing blew up, in a bowl game two years after that, and back in the top 10 within five years. Such suffering.

And nobody cares about retroactively losing a Final Four appearance. It's as meaningless as it gets.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 15, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »
USC hasn't recovered from poor coaching decisions. The sanctions are well behind them.
Penn State's "years of wilderness" saw them suffering zero losing seasons after the Paterno thing blew up, in a bowl game two years after that, and back in the top 10 within five years. Such suffering.

And nobody cares about retroactively losing a Final Four appearance. It's as meaningless as it gets.

Penn State “wandered the wilderness” between 2000-04, when they actually missed bowl games and had losing seasons.

Anyone that thinks Penn State or any other NCAA member school learned anything from the wilderness wandering induced sanctions is deluding themselves.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »

Furthermore, the NCAA actually walked back some of Penn State's sanctions, which fed further into their victimhood. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2019, 10:06:09 AM »

USC lost a ton of scholarships and that could not be overcome by the coaches they hired, who have gone on to be SEC head coaches, Alabama offensive coordinator, etc.  Yes, let’s ignore all the scholarships lost and pretend it was all because of coaching.

USC vacated their national title...usc alumni here to this day remain bitter about it.  They lost 30 football scholarships, which is a massive hit.  Two year bowl ban....makes recruiting harder.  Etc, etc.

Nobody cares.  Hmm.  Care to take that one back?  Many examples, happy to provide.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:19:06 AM by Cheeks »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2019, 10:08:29 AM »
Penn State “wandered the wilderness” between 2000-04, when they actually missed bowl games and had losing seasons.

Anyone that thinks Penn State or any other NCAA member school learned anything from the wilderness wandering induced sanctions is deluding themselves.

They absolutely did during that time...agreed.  Many wanted Joe Pa fired.  They recovered.  They again wandered in the wilderness after the NCAA came down on them.  Both are true.

You don’t think SMU learned anything?  Lol.  Happy to provide other examples.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2019, 10:55:50 AM »

Duke + UNC = Crapshoot

And on and on and on

You do realize the NCAA, frustrated by the inability to get Shapiro to cooperate but wanting to nail them so bad is what led to the botched investigation, right?

Ask Michigan basketball about the impact of sanctions.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2019, 11:08:09 AM »
You do realize the NCAA, frustrated by the inability to get Shapiro to cooperate but wanting to nail them so bad is what led to the botched investigation, right?

Ask Michigan basketball about the impact of sanctions.

Smart Michigan fans don’t blame sanctions for Brian Ellerbee and Tommy Amaker. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”