[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214683 times)

SERocks

• Team Captain
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #1075 on: December 28, 2020, 01:12:45 PM »
We started watching The Undoing.  It is pretty good. 

Agreed on Flight Attendant.  Watched into the third episode, I think, and gave it up.  My wife's comment was she is way to much of a hot mess.  Yeah, not enjoyable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1076 on: December 28, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »

Agreed on Flight Attendant.  Watched into the third episode, I think, and gave it up.  My wife's comment was she is way to much of a hot mess.  Yeah, not enjoyable.

Too unbelievable, and not funny enough if it's gonna be unbelievable.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1077 on: December 28, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »
Wonder Woman 1984 is bad. Really, really bad.
Burn DCEU to the ground. That was awful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1078 on: December 30, 2020, 11:10:01 AM »
Burn DCEU to the ground. That was awful.

Throw Marvel in there is well.  Maybe then, Hollywood would finally produce some movies that aren't sequels to comic book movies.

Spare Deadpool, though.  I like his brand of smartassery.
Have some patience, FFS.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1079 on: December 30, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
Throw Marvel in there is well.  Maybe then, Hollywood would finally produce some movies that aren't sequels to comic book movies.

Spare Deadpool, though.  I like his brand of smartassery.

At least Marvel has put out entertaining enjoyable films. DCU has flopped all but 1 (Wonderwoman) arguably 2 (Man of Steel)
Maigh Eo for Sam

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1080 on: December 30, 2020, 11:23:09 AM »
At least Marvel has put out entertaining enjoyable films. DCU has flopped all but 1 (Wonderwoman) arguably 2 (Man of Steel)

I thought Wonderwoman was pretty terrible as well. I may be in the minority on that.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1081 on: December 30, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »

Aquaman was pretty entertaining, not amazing, but solid.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1082 on: December 30, 2020, 11:36:04 AM »
I thought Wonderwoman was pretty terrible as well. I may be in the minority on that.

You're not, it was terrible, and widely panned

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1083 on: December 30, 2020, 11:52:43 AM »
Limited Series/one season:

"Unbelievable" (Netflix) was very good.

It was up there with "Seven Seconds" and "The Night of" in a similar limited series category that I enjoyed.

"Collateral" (Netflix) was pretty good. It had potential for a bit more development as it was limited to four episodes.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:54:41 AM by shoothoops »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1084 on: December 30, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
I change my post to mean Shazam. I knew there was one I actually enjoyed.
Maigh Eo for Sam

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1085 on: December 30, 2020, 12:45:52 PM »
Just watched Class Action Park on HBO. Highly recommend. 90 minutes flies by.
Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely check it out.  I went to Action Park 3 or 4 times over a few summers, and that place was crazy fun, though coming home with a few bumps and bruises was par for the course. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1086 on: December 30, 2020, 03:21:11 PM »

I liked Birds of Prey. Surprisingly enjoyable and fun. The First WW was okay, but it was just a rip-off of the original Captain America. The only real differences were WWII vs WWI and the gender of the lead character. Both even ended with a guy named Steve crash landing a plane in the ocean to save the world. I guess if you're going to rip off a Marvel movie, picking a Cap movie is a solid choice (they were all good) but it was still a pretty blatant rip-off.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #1087 on: December 30, 2020, 03:52:05 PM »
I liked Birds of Prey. Surprisingly enjoyable and fun. The First WW was okay, but it was just a rip-off of the original Captain America. The only real differences were WWII vs WWI and the gender of the lead character. Both even ended with a guy named Steve crash landing a plane in the ocean to save the world. I guess if you're going to rip off a Marvel movie, picking a Cap movie is a solid choice (they were all good) but it was still a pretty blatant rip-off.

Good call on Birds of Prey, just watched it a few weeks ago, and was well-acted, funny, and for Christ sakes, not 2 hours and 45 minutes (which I’m fine with HUGE superhero movies like Avengers and Dark Knight), but every other one should be 2 hours tops.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1088 on: December 30, 2020, 04:58:23 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, will definitely check it out.  I went to Action Park 3 or 4 times over a few summers, and that place was crazy fun, though coming home with a few bumps and bruises was par for the course.

The land is now know as Crystal Springs Resort. Played in a 3 day tournament there. Involved 4 of the courses they own.

Pretty sure the GM at Crystal Springs is the son of the guy who owned Action Park. He wrote a great book about growing up there and being used as a “test dummy” for a lot of the different rides. Book is just called “Action Park.” Hilarious and frightening at the same time.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1089 on: December 30, 2020, 05:35:50 PM »
Wife and I both enjoyed the first Wonder Woman movie. Just finished WW84. Both of us hated it. The entire plot made no sense, especially the ending. They violated their own "rules" for how the villain's power worked repeatedly. They added unnecessary unbelievable elements (ride the lightening). The action was campy which can work with some characters but not this one.

I guess there were a couple of small things I enjoyed. I was surprised by Wiig, thought she did well (though I had admittedly low expectations). They nailed the 80s con man villain archetype perfectly. And the end credits cutscene was a nice homage. Literally these are the only nice things I can say about it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1090 on: December 30, 2020, 05:41:41 PM »
Watching death to 2020 right now. Would recommend
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1091 on: December 30, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »

It was up there with "Seven Seconds" and "The Night of" in a similar limited series category that I enjoyed.

"Collateral" (Netflix) was pretty good. It had potential for a bit more development as it was limited to four episodes.

For those with access to HBO, “The Night Of” is absolutely worth checking out.  It was written by Richard Price, a great crime author who also wrote a few episodes of The Wire.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1092 on: December 30, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »
For those with access to HBO, “The Night Of” is absolutely worth checking out.  It was written by Richard Price, a great crime author who also wrote a few episodes of The Wire.

More importantly it’s a Riz Ahmed vehicle. He’s not one with a prolific filmography,  but he’s pretty much Must Watch material. He’s unreal in it

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1093 on: December 30, 2020, 10:02:42 PM »
More importantly it’s a Riz Ahmed vehicle. He’s not one with a prolific filmography,  but he’s pretty much Must Watch material. He’s unreal in it

Agree. Always excellent, and this was no exception.

Agree. Superb series.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #1094 on: December 31, 2020, 01:15:04 AM »

Yes, he was terrific.  And of course it also had the always excellent John Turturro, one of the best and most underrated character actors of this generation.

If there’s one thing HBO shows do right, it’s casting.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1095 on: December 31, 2020, 09:46:43 AM »
Bridgerton, went in thinking I would get bored after an episode, actually quite enjoyed it and have been flying through the season.

As a bonus, see how many pop songs you can recognize that are played with period appropriate instruments.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1096 on: December 31, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »
Yes, he was terrific.  And of course it also had the always excellent John Turturro, one of the best and most underrated character actors of this generation.

If there’s one thing HBO shows do right, it’s casting.

A huge part of that is they definitely have a "it aint broke, dont fix it" motto with their casting too. If you do really well with one role in a HBO show, youre very likely to book a more down the line.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1097 on: December 31, 2020, 05:55:05 PM »
A huge part of that is they definitely have a "it aint broke, dont fix it" motto with their casting too. If you do really well with one role in a HBO show, youre very likely to book a more down the line.

It's hard to find a show on TV nowadays without a The Wire alum on it!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1098 on: December 31, 2020, 06:11:53 PM »

Yep. Pretty sure 80% of the main Wire cast has been in more HBO shows. Hell, I think 50% of Treme was Wire alums.

Bridgerton, went in thinking I would get bored after an episode, actually quite enjoyed it and have been flying through the season.

As a bonus, see how many pop songs you can recognize that are played with period appropriate instruments.

It’s a really fun show. And the soundtrack is incredible. Unfortunately my GF insists on subtitles for British accent heavy shows high ruins it as they toss the song name at the bottom. But the Girls Like You cover was sublime...and I don’t really care for the original all that much.

I will say, for a historical drama with real life characters, the volume of POC in court and with noble titles was pretty odd. And then making the Queen, who was an elderly German woman, into a younger black woman was strange. And then saying her becoming queen opened the door for all the POC in noble circles was just very forced for me. I supposed Shonda Rhimes is trying to create a message, but it’s not like GoT in a fantasy mythical world. It’s taking place in a very real place and time that was pretty damn racist

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1099 on: December 31, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »

I will say, for a historical drama with real life characters, the volume of POC in court and with noble titles was pretty odd. And then making the Queen, who was an elderly German woman, into a younger black woman was strange. And then saying her becoming queen opened the door for all the POC in noble circles was just very forced for me. I supposed Shonda Rhimes is trying to create a message, but it’s not like GoT in a fantasy mythical world. It’s taking place in a very real place and time that was pretty damn racist

It's all the rage right now in casting.  The live-action remake of "Lady and the Tramp" was set in 1909, and it featured an mixed race upper-class couple as Lady's owners.
Have some patience, FFS.