[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???  (Read 214723 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: What are you watching in 2020 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #400 on: April 06, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
I started watching Election with my daughters on Saturday night.  I had forgotten how many scenes there were in that movie that were...ummm...awkward to watch with your children.

Larry, the "ethical election chairman" was a student at MU when the movie came out (it was filmed when he was n HS). My wife was friends with both him and another soon-to-be famous McCormick resident in 1997-98, Dani Pudi (I think he and Nick lived on the same floor too). Tracy Flick was basically a less annoying version of my wife's sister.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:08:48 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #401 on: April 06, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
This season of Brockmire is a little too on the nose right now. Tough timing for them to begin it in the middle of a pandemic.

I get what you are saying but it is an absolutely brilliant show and I was skeptical of the time jump for the last season but I think it really works.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #402 on: April 06, 2020, 04:02:57 PM »
Started watching this old kid's TV show from well before I was born....H.R. Pufnstuf.  Episodes can be found on youtube.

It's pretty stupid, but it has me laughing, so I'll keep watching.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #403 on: April 06, 2020, 06:27:58 PM »
Started watching this old kid's TV show from well before I was born....H.R. Pufnstuf.  Episodes can be found on youtube.

It's pretty stupid, but it has me laughing, so I'll keep watching.

Haven't seen this show for at least 40 years, but I can still hum the theme song and probably get most of the lyrics right.
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #404 on: April 06, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
We tried Tiger King last night to see what all the fuss was about.  Forced ourselves through two episodes and turned it off. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #405 on: April 06, 2020, 08:26:08 PM »
We tried Tiger King last night to see what all the fuss was about.  Forced ourselves through two episodes and turned it off. 

It has moments, but it’s pretty meh overall.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #406 on: April 06, 2020, 08:49:18 PM »

C’mon.  Were you not entertained?
Ludum habemus.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #407 on: April 06, 2020, 09:36:14 PM »

We're enjoying it. You can't invent that kind of crazy.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #408 on: April 06, 2020, 11:45:13 PM »
OK, I finished Ozark. Mild spoilers ahead ...

I will say that I was not stunned by the ending, in part because of the little bit I had read here. It's not TAMU's fault, but him saying, "Season's ending was perfect" made me think about midway through the episode that what eventually happened was what was gonna happen. It was still a great ending to a fine season. A logical ending, too.

I thought this season started a little slowly but really picked up steam when Marty was tortured in episode 4. That wasn't always easy to watch, but I loved Marty's eventual reaction.

All in all, I thought the season was very good. As some have said, just a tick behind 1 but better than 2 -- and 2 was pretty darn good.

I agree with those who weren't thrilled with Ben's character. Most of the season, he bothered me. But as I said to my wife while watching episode 9, "He's kind of grown on me these last couple of episodes." I thought the actor who played him, Tom Pelphrey, was pretty blah the first 6-7 episodes, almost sounded like he was reading his lines at times. But late in the season, I thought he was quite believable as a bipolar guy whose world suddenly was crumbling around him.

As usual, Julia Garner's star shined brightly, but I also loved Janet McTeer as Helen; really came off as wonderfully sinister, though we also got to see her vulnerable side in the way she protected her daughter. (She also was very good in Damages on FX several years back.) I also thought both the Charlotte and Jonah characters came into their own very nicely; I was especially impressed with the actress who played Charlotte.

And how 'bout that March-November romance? Amazing. Wyatt meets Ben for the first time and, totally deadpan, asks Ruth: "Isn't he a little old for you?" That's great stuff.

Bummed that we're done watching Season 3 -- wanted more! Already looking forward to Season 4.

Just finished Ozark. Spot on review, Mike. Wasn’t a big fan of Ben either (early), but when he came undone it was powerful. And Laura Linney’s agony during their road trip and its aftermath was so real it was hard to watch.

Can’t wait for next year, either.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #409 on: April 06, 2020, 11:45:58 PM »
We're enjoying it. You can't invent that kind of crazy.

Personally, I dont get the desire to watch this kind of stuff.  I dont get the allure of making fun of weirdos.  They're just living their best life, i say let em get as weird as they want.

Maybe don't murder a guy, but you take my point.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #410 on: April 07, 2020, 08:18:21 AM »

5% entertained, 95% trying to figure out why people are entertained.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #411 on: April 07, 2020, 08:51:01 AM »
Personally, I dont get the desire to watch this kind of stuff.  I dont get the allure of making fun of weirdos.  They're just living their best life, i say let em get as weird as they want.

Yeah, we watched Episode 2 and weren't sure we wanted to keep watching it either, kind of for the reason you give here. I mean, we never watch any of the dopey reality TV shows or the daytime shows where the weirdos fight each other, or anything like that.

But we decided to give it one more episode and then the crime aspect got a lot more interesting to us.

It is one effen bizarre show.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #412 on: April 07, 2020, 09:10:43 AM »
Yeah, we watched Episode 2 and weren't sure we wanted to keep watching it either, kind of for the reason you give here. I mean, we never watch any of the dopey reality TV shows or the daytime shows where the weirdos fight each other, or anything like that.

But we decided to give it one more episode and then the crime aspect got a lot more interesting to us.

It is one effen bizarre show.

That's kind of how it hooked me.  My kids (and seemingly the rest of the internet) were watching it and raving about it.  So I decided to watch.  Episode one...meh.  Episode two...meh.  Episode three...hmmm.  Then I watched a couple more because I wasn't doing anything else.  I haven't finished it.  Maybe this weekend. Maybe not.  I'm not a fan of Carol, but Joe is an absolute lunatic.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #413 on: April 07, 2020, 09:39:49 AM »

Here's my thing.  I don't believe it was making fun of them.  It was just giving insight and access into it.  I do think the drawling documentary director with the Crocodile Dundee hat planned to, cause his arrogance over them was pretty pronounced, but I don't think the actual Tiger King docu director was.

The documentary was interesting cause of the levels to it.  The legal twists and turns were fascinating.  And cause of the caricatures they made themselves out to be.  Joe, Doc Antle, Carole... you could have just played their interviews and videos with no commentary or editing and they would speak for themselves

MU82

• All American
« Reply #414 on: April 07, 2020, 10:23:31 AM »
My biggest laugh-out-loud moments were every time Joe was being shown in one of his music videos.

The fakeness of his voice in those recordings was perfectly captured in Ep 4 when he was singing along to it in the car.  His real voice was SO bad ... we had to pause it because we were laughing so hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #415 on: April 07, 2020, 11:02:46 AM »
My biggest laugh-out-loud moments were every time Joe was being shown in one of his music videos.

The fakeness of his voice in those recordings was perfectly captured in Ep 4 when he was singing along to it in the car.  His real voice was SO bad ... we had to pause it because we were laughing so hard.

I saw a tweet after it came out that basically said a country band recorded all "Joe's music" and he just softly sang over it.  Similar to a live singer with a backing track that is mixed 2-3x louder than their own vocals.  So its not even studio magic, he just wasn't the vocalist on the track in actuality.

I personally loved him singing at Travis' funeral.  What an absolutely absurd tone deaf move. 

Honestly reminded me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9kn6a0xl7k

Also, naturally he had a priest outfit...to go with his EMT jacket and other costumes.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #416 on: April 07, 2020, 11:13:23 AM »

Some of those songs were really catchy though.  And the Here Kitty Kitty video had me in stiches.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #417 on: April 07, 2020, 07:08:19 PM »
I saw a tweet after it came out that basically said a country band recorded all "Joe's music" and he just softly sang over it.  Similar to a live singer with a backing track that is mixed 2-3x louder than their own vocals.  So its not even studio magic, he just wasn't the vocalist on the track in actuality.

That explains a lot.

Some of those songs were really catchy though.

We obviously have different musical tastes, which is cool.

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #418 on: April 08, 2020, 04:25:17 PM »
ZeroZeroZero on Amazon was really good.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #419 on: April 09, 2020, 01:07:39 PM »
Haven't seen this show for at least 40 years, but I can still hum the theme song and probably get most of the lyrics right.

I'll sing with you, Witchy-Poo.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #420 on: April 09, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
Just finished Ozark. Spot on review, Mike. Wasn’t a big fan of Ben either (early), but when he came undone it was powerful. And Laura Linney’s agony during their road trip and its aftermath was so real it was hard to watch.

Can’t wait for next year, either.

I'm with you, Lenny, and endorse that review and your comments.  And on Ben, I think it was a remarkable performance- I was not expecting what we got in those last couple of episodes.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #421 on: April 09, 2020, 01:12:41 PM »
After running through so many new series and movies, I decided to get the family on some classics.  Rushmore, Casablanca and The Apartment, so far. B+, A, A+. (I had not seen The Apartment.  Outstanding.)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #422 on: April 09, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »
Still have episode 10 to view but one thing that I really enjoyed as an addition in season 3 was the therapist. What a great little story line to flesh things out, really enjoyed her small role immensely.

OK, I finished Ozark. Mild spoilers ahead ...

I will say that I was not stunned by the ending, in part because of the little bit I had read here. It's not TAMU's fault, but him saying, "Season's ending was perfect" made me think about midway through the episode that what eventually happened was what was gonna happen. It was still a great ending to a fine season. A logical ending, too.

I thought this season started a little slowly but really picked up steam when Marty was tortured in episode 4. That wasn't always easy to watch, but I loved Marty's eventual reaction.

All in all, I thought the season was very good. As some have said, just a tick behind 1 but better than 2 -- and 2 was pretty darn good.

I agree with those who weren't thrilled with Ben's character. Most of the season, he bothered me. But as I said to my wife while watching episode 9, "He's kind of grown on me these last couple of episodes." I thought the actor who played him, Tom Pelphrey, was pretty blah the first 6-7 episodes, almost sounded like he was reading his lines at times. But late in the season, I thought he was quite believable as a bipolar guy whose world suddenly was crumbling around him.

As usual, Julia Garner's star shined brightly, but I also loved Janet McTeer as Helen; really came off as wonderfully sinister, though we also got to see her vulnerable side in the way she protected her daughter. (She also was very good in Damages on FX several years back.) I also thought both the Charlotte and Jonah characters came into their own very nicely; I was especially impressed with the actress who played Charlotte.

And how 'bout that March-November romance? Amazing. Wyatt meets Ben for the first time and, totally deadpan, asks Ruth: "Isn't he a little old for you?" That's great stuff.

Bummed that we're done watching Season 3 -- wanted more! Already looking forward to Season 4.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #423 on: April 09, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »
After running through so many new series and movies, I decided to get the family on some classics.  Rushmore, Casablanca and The Apartment, so far. B+, A, A+. (I had not seen The Apartment.  Outstanding.)

On this tip, is The Third Man in rotation? It's a fun trip with a great soundtrack. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #424 on: April 09, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »

Solid choices, LL

How old are your kids? Did they agree with your grades?