[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Weber grilled  (Read 14458 times)

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
Re: Weber grilled
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2019, 10:52:55 PM »
. We’re better with him in the bench until it’s free throw time. I hope that changes, because we need him to be an above average high major college basketball player to be anything more than a bubble team this year.

I agree, he is wound way too tight.  I think he needs the deep breaths exercise beforehe come into the game.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2019, 10:54:33 PM »
I am not a hater. Anyone who has posted here for at least a few years knows that.

Koby sucks. He is not good. We’re better with him in the bench until it’s free throw time. I hope that changes, because we need him to be an above average high major college basketball player to be anything more than a bubble team this year.
Except Koby hit, what could be considered the game clincher and hit two throws after getting that rebound. He is a good defender too. He played very well at the end and his teammates knew it and acknowledged it as well as Wojo on the postgame.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2019, 10:57:53 PM »
Koby doesn’t suck.  He isn’t playing well.  Huge difference.

He had a big assist to Theo on the P&R, a huge 3 and a rebound and 2 FTs made at the end.

Has to get better for sure, but he can.

In the last five minutes, he played well, with the exception of fouling the guy with like 13 seconds left and Wojo went ballistic at him.  That was his fifth foul.  The three that he hit was big for him, really big.  Koby, from his previous play at Utah State and what he showed in the first two couple of games, displayed talent, but something is off right now. His emotions have been off the charts and maybe he knows he is pressing just bit, well, alot.

The last six games have been just terrible and the statistics do not lie.

8 for his last 43 (18%)
5 for his last 26 on threes (19%)
17 turnovers.  He has double the amount of turnovers than he has MADE baskets
23 fouls

The best thing I saw was Sacar hugging him at the end and banging on his chest, like saying its OK, you are back.  I hope so, because the talent is there, but just not clicking at the moment. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »
17) Koby is too upright when he drives. Dribble gets high and it negates his quickness.
18) Theo's last three fouls were good calls and he absolutely should know better by now.

On Markus... I think he's still trying to find the balance on when to shoot and when to pass. He could be more selfish, and it wouldn't hurt. But he just seems... a bit unsure.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2019, 10:59:46 PM »
It was different to see Chartouny play last year and say "he sucks" when in fact he never showed flashes of anything better than his game showed. This year, Koby actually is a much better ball player than his time on the court has shown. Multiple teammates gave him reassurance during the game, because they know as well he is capable of much more. Once conf time rolls around I predict he will become a routine contributor.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2019, 11:00:40 PM »
Except Koby hit, what could be considered the game clincher and hit two throws after getting that rebound. He is a good defender too. He played very well at the end and his teammates knew it and acknowledged it as well as Wojo on the postgame.

I mentioned the free throws. He’s been very good there. As I said, I am not a hater. Huge fan of the program and it’s players. Since I’ve followed very closely since 08 season, not sure there has been a player I’ve been less enamored with. There have definitely been worse players - but his attitude is bad, he can’t hit a shot, he travels 25% of the time he has the ball, his handle is loose. It’s bad.

I know the kid has talent, and I am not writing him off. But it’s been bad.

Super glad to get this W tonight. It’s huge in the long run. K State is a really bad offensive team though, and it showed.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2019, 11:02:01 PM »
Right now, Koby vs Purdue is starting to look like John Dawson vs Georgetown.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2019, 11:04:00 PM »
Johnson needs way more minutes. Like please start him.

Symir is doing very solid. Concerned on why no redshirt. But if he's like this please use him much more. A

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2019, 11:12:19 PM »
MU started the day at 30 in KPom and finished at 24.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2019, 11:15:11 PM »
Ball movement good.
Offensive rebounding good.
Defensive rebounding bad.
Feels sometimes the refs seem to think we are there to watch them.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2019, 11:19:03 PM »
I mentioned the free throws. He’s been very good there. As I said, I am not a hater. Huge fan of the program and it’s players. Since I’ve followed very closely since 08 season, not sure there has been a player I’ve been less enamored with. There have definitely been worse players - but his attitude is bad, he can’t hit a shot, he travels 25% of the time he has the ball, his handle is loose. It’s bad.

I know the kid has talent, and I am not writing him off. But it’s been bad.

Super glad to get this W tonight. It’s huge in the long run. K State is a really bad offensive team though, and it showed.

Watch both ends though, please. Also, I hope you saw the Purdue game.

I know one game can be an aberration, but when he’s right Koby can shoot, and shoot very well. Also, let’s not get into the Vander Blue part of the MU fanbase- please just zone in on Kobe on the Defensive end for a game or two and realize the game has multiple parts to it

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2019, 11:24:03 PM »
Right now, Koby vs Purdue is starting to look like John Dawson vs Georgetown.

Uh, oh.  Magic Koby incoming from ners/elonmusk.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2019, 11:26:07 PM »
Watch both ends though, please. Also, I hope you saw the Purdue game.

I know one game can be an aberration, but when he’s right Koby can shoot, and shoot very well. Also, let’s not get into the Vander Blue part of the MU fanbase- please just zone in on Kobe on the Defensive end for a game or two and realize the game has multiple parts to it

Of course I saw the Purdue game. I haven’t missed a game in half a decade.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TheyWereCones

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2019, 11:31:46 PM »
Get Symir more minutes.  He looks good.  Passes extremely well.  Haven't had a guy with this much assist promise since Junior.  Looks good taking 3s too.  Hoping as he develops he gets into the lane more and can finish at the rim or get a floater.  Can't wait to see him feeding all our tall talent next year.

Jamal was huge today.  He & Greg might be the best 6/7 guys in the BE and you could make arguments for both starting.

Hope Koby figures it out and gets his focus right.  Even an average Koby would help tremendously right now.

Unfortunate that we get almost nothing from our bigs on O every game.  Why do they get blocked so much, Theo especially?

In general, I like our 10-man rotation this year.  We have depth.  Symir has been showing that we are truly 10 deep.  Comes in when the others were in foul trouble and we did just fine with him in.  10 men contributing means we can afford a bad Koby game and Brendan being a non-factor (2 starters) and still win on the road.

I think this team is going to be completely unpredictable all season.
Those could have been guests at her wedding.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 11:37:19 PM »
++ I actually admired the way Koby shook off his woes to finish this game very strong. He is a fiery guy, and sometimes he is his own worst enemy, but he showed some mental toughness there. Scoopers need to be patient with him, just as they had to be with Katin and Lockett. He will help our team. Hell, he already has. We get crushed by Purdue without him coming through big-time. Excellent FT shooter, good rebounder, solid defender. But yes, like all MU guards not named Symir, he has a loose-ish handle.

++ Agree with the Scoopers who noted Markus' early-clock shots down the stretch. One was really off-balance and silly. The other was only a little better. And his foul on the rebound was dopey, too. (If it was a foul; ESPN was terrible with replays all game.) That said, I liked the way he didn't force shots most of the game; he hit a couple big 3s; he had several shots that were down but somehow didn't go in; he drew a charge; had 4 assists and could have had twice that if shots had been made by teammates. I'd be happy if all of his "bad" games were like this one.

++ Cain is doing this season what many of us hoped for (or even expected) last year after his strong finish as a freshman. Really happy for him; he seems like a great kid who truly enjoys playing basketball. His Michigan buddy ain't half-bad, either ... though Elliott needs to hold onto that pass against the press!!

++ Symir looks smooth as silk. Very excited about his future.

++ Except for the foul-foul-foul finish, Theo battled well against a good player.

++ Loved the way we moved the ball on a lot of possessions, both when Markus was in and out of the game.

++ Another good game for Sacar, who was on the receiving end of a lot of physical play but just kept picking himself up off the deck to help us.

++ Really liked the way Wojo used his personnel today. Managed the 5 position well, rode Cain and Elliott, dealt with Markus' foul problems well, got Symir some nice minutes, etc.

++ Any road win is a good win. Those who say otherwise haven't paid attention to college basketball this season (or most any season).

++ This game and Davidson were two less-talked-about non-con games that concerned me, and I'm very happy we scrapped out wins in both. Take care of business until NYE, and we'll be 10-2 -- pretty darn good any year. Win our first two BEast games, and we'll be ranked again.

++ We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2019, 11:38:42 PM »
++ I actually admired the way Koby shook off his woes to finish this game very strong. He is a fiery guy, and sometimes he is his own worst enemy, but he showed some mental toughness there. Scoopers need to be patient with him, just as they had to be with Katin and Lockett. He will help our team. Hell, he already has. We get crushed by Purdue without him coming through big-time. Excellent FT shooter, good rebounder, solid defender. But yes, like all MU guards not named Symir, he has a loose-ish handle.

++ Agree with the Scoopers who noted Markus' early-clock shots down the stretch. One was really off-balance and silly. The other was only a little better. And his foul on the rebound was dopey, too. (If it was a foul; ESPN was terrible with replays all game.) That said, I liked the way he didn't force shots most of the game; he hit a couple big 3s; he had several shots that were down but somehow didn't go in; he drew a charge; had 4 assists and could have had twice that if shots had been made by teammates. I'd be happy if all of his "bad" games were like this one.

++ Cain is doing this season what many of us hoped for (or even expected) last year after his strong finish as a freshman. Really happy for him; he seems like a great kid who truly enjoys playing basketball. His Michigan buddy ain't half-bad, either ... though Elliott needs to hold onto that pass against the press!!

++ Symir looks smooth as silk. Very excited about his future.

++ Except for the foul-foul-foul finish, Theo battled well against a good player.

++ Loved the way we moved the ball on a lot of possessions, both when Markus was in and out of the game.

++ Another good game for Sacar, who was on the receiving end of a lot of physical play but just kept picking himself up off the deck to help us.

++ Really liked the way Wojo used his personnel today. Managed the 5 position well, rode Cain and Elliott, dealt with Markus' foul problems well, got Symir some nice minutes, etc.

++ Any road win is a good win. Those who say otherwise haven't paid attention to college basketball this season (or most any season).

++ This game and Davidson were two less-talked-about non-con games that concerned me, and I'm very happy we scrapped out wins in both. Take care of business until NYE, and we'll be 10-2 -- pretty darn good any year. Win our first two BEast games, and we'll be ranked again.

++ We Are Marquette!

Is there a Sparknotes version of this post somewhere?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2019, 11:38:53 PM »
Of course I saw the Purdue game. I haven’t missed a game in half a decade.

Point taken, didn’t mean to be condescending. To your point, he has struggled mightily lately.

Can I offer another solution to make you feel better- see the end of the game with MARKUS and sacar in his ear pumping him up. It seems clear Koby is emotion oriented/driven. Markus and Sacar, as they leaders of the team, know how much he means to it.

If that doesn’t make you feel better compare him to chartouny.
Ps- joe if you read this I apologize. The scene with you and your family taking photos in NYC happy to be a part of MU were awesome, thanks for choosing Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2019, 11:40:59 PM »
Point taken, didn’t mean to be condescending. To your point, he has struggled mightily lately.

Can I offer another solution to make you feel better- see the end of the game with MARKUS and sacar in his ear pumping him up. It seems clear Koby is emotion oriented/driven. Markus and Sacar, as they leaders of the team, know how much he means to it.

If that doesn’t make you feel better compare him to chartouny.
Ps- joe if you read this I apologize. The scene with you and your family taking photos in NYC happy to be a part of MU were awesome, thanks for choosing Marquette

Markus also picked up Cain after Jamal struggled on a couple plays early in the game. Good leadership.

Is there a Sparknotes version of this post somewhere?

Reading is FUN-damental.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »
Other than the officiating (which wasn't biased, just bad, with too many whistles) that was a fun game to watch. 

MU missed key minutes from BB/Sacar/Markus for various reasons and others stepped up.
The bench played a major role.
The bigs were good.
Ed didn't travel.
Symir played great... did his job perfectly for the team.   Even was better on D.
Koby played good D, and again had critical buckets near the end.
Jamal showed off his elite athleticism.
Markus added 19 despite looking "off".  He had a bigger guy holding him most of the game.  If you watched the sides of the camera shots, he took an amazing amount of contact off the ball, including some after stoppages.  Nice job by him to maintain patience and composure.  The only problem I have with his two shots near the end is that they were too early in the clock. 
I worry more when Sacar goes off the court than when Markus is off.  Sacar is the glue guy.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2019, 12:05:35 AM »
Koby stinks right now. Smelly enough to come off the bench next game. It’s performance, attitude, body language he’s gotta stop pressing.

He doesn’t suck, he stinks.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2019, 12:20:13 AM »
Koby did play good defense all night which is why he was out there (plus what he is theoretically capable of on offense).

The knock on Symir has been his defense but he looked pretty good from what I saw tonight.

Symir has three cupcakes to work on his D and Koby has three cupcakes to get his head right. Think it is good timing for both of them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2019, 12:24:53 AM »
Koby did play good defense all night which is why he was out there (plus what he is theoretically capable of on offense).

The knock on Symir has been his defense but he looked pretty good from what I saw tonight.

Symir has three cupcakes to work on his D and Koby has three cupcakes to get his head right. Think it is good timing for both of them.

Great point, TAMU.

I still think Koby will be a big contributor this season, and I am looking forward to Symir having a great Warriors career.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2019, 12:33:33 AM »
Yup, above comment is right.

The best thing here is that MU keeps building weapons, and that's key this time of year.

The proof? I haven’t seen a mention of Bailey all night. He’s a starter, two days ago he went nuke you lahr.

Point is, keep building weapons.
Obviously MARKUS is the season, but Sacar and Koby cmon (remember my 50 ppg per night on average between the three combined being the key to this season)

Bailey, Greg, Jamal, Symir. They have all stepped up and then can and will be needed at some point in March. I’m confident that we now have more weapons because of this group.
Asterisk** Jamal has already proven he can be a difference defensively, so did Brendan last year. The team needs this. Greg needs a guard version of this w steals and creating extra possessions. Symir, your job is creating offense and not creating calm with team control when needed (helps the defense during runs!)

I don’t count Ed, Theo and Jayce here because they are bigs and in a league of their own, no expectance offensively. That said, I think in the next 3 wojo needs to put an emphasis on feeding the post early and letting these guys build offensive confidence, I think it carries them defensively and I think it’ll help to carry over into conference.

burger

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2019, 12:41:19 AM »
Markus tried to play "hero ball" at the end taking shots early in the shot clock with less than 4 minutes left.....

Poor senior leadership and dumb.....

This is "exactly" why Joey and Sam left......

You can get those shots with under 5 seconds on the clock any time instead of when there is 20 seconds remaining......

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2019, 12:54:03 AM »
Markus tried to play "hero ball" at the end taking shots early in the shot clock with less than 4 minutes left.....

Poor senior leadership and dumb.....

This is "exactly" why Joey and Sam left......

You can get those shots with under 5 seconds on the clock any time instead of when there is 20 seconds remaining......

lol
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

feedback