collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Best/Worst Christmas Movies?  (Read 19502 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Best/Worst Christmas Movies?
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 12:06:44 AM »
Many of you have hit all the standards but A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas deserves a mention. Completely over the top absurdity but in a good way.

Everyone is ignoring some Christmas horror as well. Krampus from a couple of years ago is super fun.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 12:08:31 AM »
Had no idea about that history I meant it largely as a tongue in cheek comment.

Either way it's a boring, over acted movie with a message that's just eh.

The life is a gift and family is the most important thing in life is an "eh" message?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 04:30:25 AM »
For me the best: The Bishop's Wife and Going My Way.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2019, 08:11:41 AM »
The life is a gift and family is the most important thing in life is an "eh" message?

Let me put it another way, the message is obviously a good one but it is just so earnest and focused on it. I get why people like the movie but for me I want a Christmas movie to be ultimately fun while pushing the "Christmas spirit" message. So I probably should have said the message delivery mechanism was eh as opposed to the message. Basically, I hate sap and overwrought movies.....there is enough of that in the real world, don't need it in my entertainment as well.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 08:16:48 AM »
Let me put it another way, the message is obviously a good one but it is just so earnest and focused on it. I get why people like the movie but for me I want a Christmas movie to be ultimately fun while pushing the "Christmas spirit" message. So I probably should have said the message delivery mechanism was eh as opposed to the message. Basically, I hate sap and overwrought movies.....there is enough of that in the real world, don't need it in my entertainment as well.

I mean, it's from the 1940s.  Most moves back then suffered from over-acting and schlocky messages.

No idea why it's communist though...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »
We basically watch one Christmas movie a night during the month of December each year. So we get through quite a few of them. Here is my breakdown:

My favorites: Christmas Vacation, Die Hard, Trading Places, Muppet Christmas Carol, Elf,

The Over-rated Classics, but still worth watching once a year: Its a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, Holiday Affair, Christmas Story, the animated Grinch, Peanuts Christmas

I don't care for, but I humor my wife: Love Actually, Family Stone, The Holiday, The Santa Clause

Guilty Pleasures because they are so bad: Christmas Prince, any other terrible Hallmark movie
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:42:46 PM by Coleman »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »
I mean, it's from the 1940s.  Most moves back then suffered from over-acting and schlocky messages.

Not blaming the movie for being over-acted at schlocky, but it's also why I don't like it so it is what it is. If someone hates Die Hard because its not a Christmas movie or they hate action movies, it's a valid reason not to rank it. We ain't grading on a curve here  ;)
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Worst is easily It's A Wonderful Life, it is pure communist schlock and a bad story to boot powered only by warm feelings people have had transferred to them by Boomers

I'm guessing you haven't seen the whole movie.  I can understand why one might feel this way having watched the edited version that has made its rounds in the public domain for decades, but I can guarantee you that you'd change your mind if you saw the Director's Cut which includes the lost ending...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vw89o0afb2A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vw89o0afb2A</a>
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 01:47:20 PM »
If Die Hard is a Christmas movie then I'm voting for Trading Places as the best.  Part of it does take place over Christmas.

Not a Christmas Movie.  Market is closed on Christmas.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2019, 01:57:43 PM »
Not a Christmas Movie.  Market is closed on Christmas.

Question, does some part of the movie, no matter the length have to occur in the movie for it to be considered a Christmas movie?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
We basically watch one Christmas movie a night during the month of December each year. So we get through quite a few of them. Here is my breakdown:

My favorites: Christmas Vacation, Die Hard, Trading Places, Muppet Christmas Carol, Elf,

The Over-rated Classics, but still worth watching once a year: Its a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, Holiday Affair, Christmas Story, the animated Grinch, Peanuts Christmas

I don't care for, but I humor my wife: Love Actually, Family Stone, The Holiday, The Santa Clause

Guilty Pleasures because they are so bad: Christmas Prince, any other terrible Hallmark movie

Family Stone is my guilty pleasure Xmas movie.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2019, 02:06:44 PM »

The FBI thought it was communist because it had a wealthy, capitalist banker as its villain, while it also magnified the problems of the common man in American society.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
[...]
Worst:  How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey version). 
[...]

The "everything Jim Carrey is in is trash" rule is in play here.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »

Blasphemy!
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2019, 03:09:46 PM »
Little known fun fact:

Frank Capra directed Its A Wonderful Life

Frank Capra III was an assistant director for Christmas Vacation

Its A Wonderful Life appeared in Christmas Vacation, as Rusty watches it right before family arrives.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2019, 03:31:54 PM »
Blasphemy!

<shrug> Everyone's got their own taste, and I just can't stand him. To each their own.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 03:59:57 PM »
I'm guessing you haven't seen the whole movie.  I can understand why one might feel this way having watched the edited version that has made its rounds in the public domain for decades, but I can guarantee you that you'd change your mind if you saw the Director's Cut which includes the lost ending...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vw89o0afb2A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vw89o0afb2A</a>
I've seen that many times and it is funny, but truthfully, that is one of the things I really don't like about the original.  Nothing bad happens to Mr. Potter, who stole many thousands of dollars.  He never gets his well-deserved comeuppance.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2019, 04:16:59 PM »

Amen, brother!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2019, 04:41:34 PM »
I've seen that many times and it is funny, but truthfully, that is one of the things I really don't like about the original.  Nothing bad happens to Mr. Potter, who stole many thousands of dollars.  He never gets his well-deserved comeuppance.

Capitalist banker makes bad investments and leads to ruin of his company, which cause harm to the entire town, gets bailed out by the middle class.

Hmm...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 07:50:29 PM »
Capitalist banker makes bad investments and leads to ruin of his company, which cause harm to the entire town, gets bailed out by the middle class.

Hmm...

That didn't happen at all did it?  Potter just stole the money, he wasn't hard up or anything, right?

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »
Ah so glad to see the folks who are so clever that say Die Hard is Christmas Movie.  🙄

But for reals, Elf, Home Alone, and I actually really enjoyed the new animated Grinch with Benedict Cumberbatch.  The Jim Carey version is gutter trash, and the original is a gold standard.

Depending on age, Bad Santa, XMas Vacation are always a good watch.  And put me in the camp, The Christmas Story has run its course and don’t even bother watching when it’s on repeat.

And youre equally clever pointing out that Home Alone is a Christmas movie.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2019, 12:06:26 AM »

The Searchers

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »
The original grinch and peanuts Christmas are all time favorites.

Never enjoyed the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer from the 60s. Don't know if it's the animation or what but it didn't do it for me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2019, 09:44:29 AM »
The original grinch and peanuts Christmas are all time favorites.

Never enjoyed the Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer from the 60s. Don't know if it's the animation or what but it didn't do it for me.

The honest trailer for that Rudolph movie cracks me up.
Maigh Eo for Sam

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »
This almost deserves it's own thread, as it must be discussed.

Die Hard is not a Christmas movie. 

In order for a movie to be considered a "Christmas Movie" it must posses the following three qualities:

1. The setting must take place in or around the holidays and it must be significant to the plot that it is.

2. It must have a positive ending with an uplifting message or story conclusion.  (It can be sad, but overall be positive.  See: Family Stone)

3. It must be overall family friendly. (You can push boundaries with language or mild violence, ala Home alone or Christmas Vacation, but most parents know when it's gone too far)

External decider/exemption claus: If a movie should fail in any one of these three categories but is still questionably considered a Christmas movie, you can appeal the decision through answering this question.   Would it be normal to watch it during any other time of year?   Bad Santa would be a good example.  It fails in the family friendly category, but still caries the Christmas movie label.  To validate that, would you see it played on tv in June?  No, it would be out of place.   Thus it is exempted into being considered a Christmas movie despite failing one of the criteria.

Die hard barely falls into category 1 and 2.  But even if you made that argument, the violence, language, etc precludes it from category 3.

Sorry Die Hard as a Christmas movie fans, you are mistaken.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:49:09 AM by UWW2MU »

feedback