[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 11:16:57 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Terrap-le  (Read 34152 times)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Re: Terrap-le
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2019, 08:33:04 PM »
Well, you can't blame him that the coach who recruited him and said he was with the three amigos to the end bailed on him...and DJ had to hear about it on ESPN from his coach's brother-in-law.  I am sure that sent DJ into a tailspin, especially after said coach talked him out of going pro after that great freshman season.

That douche made millions while DJ was left with latex balloons to sell.  Luckily, the coach who replaced him taught DJ his faith and the ability to forgive the crimson turncoat.

Best post of the year imo.   

DJ will always be a top 3 warrior to me.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #226 on: December 03, 2019, 10:31:37 PM »
Well, you can't blame him that the coach who recruited him and said he was with the three amigos to the end bailed on him...and DJ had to hear about it on ESPN from his coach's brother-in-law.  I am sure that sent DJ into a tailspin, especially after said coach talked him out of going pro after that great freshman season.

That douche made millions while DJ was left with latex balloons to sell.  Luckily, the coach who replaced him taught DJ his faith and the ability to forgive the crimson turncoat.

Because he wasn’t going to be drafted after his freshman year, one of the other all time great myths here.  We had this conversation with Keefe (RIP) a few months back with plenty of links and attributes by draft experts that had him no way going...but I like Bigfoot and Lochness Monster, too.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #227 on: December 03, 2019, 10:33:47 PM »
His frosh season was special.  But so was his senior season in a far different way.  Screw the stats.  Had he not fractured his foot vs. UConn, MU was a Final 4 team.  Again, stats don’t tell the whole story.

MU definitely had a shot for a nice run that last year.  Tyshawn Taylor as a backup would have been great, but he wanted no part of Buzz.

I agree that DJ had a nice senior season in many categories, but a rather odd drop off in some others.  Who messed with his shooting stroke.  I’ve never seen a guy for three years hit at 65% basically each year and drop to the mid 40’s his last year.  Very odd.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #228 on: December 04, 2019, 12:15:40 AM »
Because he wasn’t going to be drafted after his freshman year, one of the other all time great myths here.  We had this conversation with Keefe (RIP) a few months back with plenty of links and attributes by draft experts that had him no way going...but I like Bigfoot and Lochness Monster, too.

The myth around here is mostly of your making.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #229 on: December 04, 2019, 12:30:18 AM »
Yep, let's be real.  DJ was a fun player to watch and he could jump out of the gym, but 5'11" guys who can't shoot don't get drafted.  We might even learn soon what happens to 5'11" guys who CAN shoot.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #230 on: December 04, 2019, 07:14:53 AM »
The myth around here is mostly of your making.

No he’s right. No way DJ was getting drafted in the first round after his freshman year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2019, 07:15:50 AM »
MU definitely had a shot for a nice run that last year.  Tyshawn Taylor as a backup would have been great, but he wanted no part of Buzz.

I agree that DJ had a nice senior season in many categories, but a rather odd drop off in some others.  Who messed with his shooting stroke.  I’ve never seen a guy for three years hit at 65% basically each year and drop to the mid 40’s his last year.  Very odd.

His EFG tied his freshman year high. Improved from sophomore and junior years.

Oh I noticed you meants FT%.  I mean...who cares?  It's not that important of a stat.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:13:58 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »

Sarcasm is lost on you...

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »

I feel like the whole “Tyshawn Taylor wanted no part of Buzz” thing is also false.  This is all so long ago, but I seem to recall Taylor using Crean’s departure as an excuse to bolt for Kansas, which was his dream school.  As soon as Crean left, we had no chance of keeping Taylor, regardless of who our next coach was.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2019, 08:43:44 AM »
I feel like the whole “Tyshawn Taylor wanted no part of Buzz” thing is also false.  This is all so long ago, but I seem to recall Taylor using Crean’s departure as an excuse to bolt for Kansas, which was his dream school.  As soon as Crean left, we had no chance of keeping Taylor, regardless of who our next coach was.

Furthermore, my recollection is that they had a nice interaction at whatever Thanksgiving tournament MU and KU played in that next year.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »
If I recall, Tyshawn’s Mom and Buzz had developed a very tight bond during the recruiting process.  I think that had something to do with the reunion at that Thanksgiving tourney.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #236 on: December 04, 2019, 08:57:05 AM »

Odartey Blankson "wanted no part of" Crean.

Ipso fatso, Crean cost us at least two certain national titles.

And think about all the players who "wanted no part of" Wojo, costing us goodness knows how many Sweet 16s or better.

This is fun. Anybody can play this game of throwing out crapola just to try to incite others.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2019, 09:04:55 AM »

Yup. To add on to other comments below this, I believe Buzz was the main recruiter for Taylor as well.

Kansas had an opening and I believe was Taylor’s dream school. Hurley used the opening of Crean leaving to get Taylor out of the LOI.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2019, 10:49:43 AM »

Sory to hear of his passing  :(

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2019, 01:58:15 PM »
Sarcasm is lost on you...

Oh I recognized it, thought it was pretty good, and gave some sarcasm back.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »
Sory to hear of his passing  :(

Not really dead, apparently Scoop dead.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #241 on: December 04, 2019, 02:00:47 PM »

I suggest you read what his coach said before and after the meeting with Buzz. 

I agree we had no chance with Buzz keeping him, someone else would have depended who that someone else is.

Which of course is why the anti-Wojo folks never seem to get it.  They think Wooden is walking into the door, and he isn’t.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2019, 02:15:08 PM »
Not really dead, apparently Scoop dead.
that's not cool, bro