[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Terrap-le  (Read 34154 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Terrap-le
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2019, 08:40:10 PM »
The scariest thing about this tournament is teams have 2 different patterns to shut down Howard.

USC used a very high zone to deny Howard and was fairly effective.

Maryland had a defender faceguard Markus 30 feet from the hoop.

Wait, what?  Was the second sentence missing teal?  Have you written the $200 check yet?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
The point is dont cherry pick one game. Look at the big picture. Especially you, Mr. 5 years to Judge.

I never once advocated replacing Woj,  but nice try. Look at things objectively instead of always sticking your head up Wojo's ars.

Yup, and he's met my criteria for 5 years.  Took over a team that couldn't even get a NIT bid, rebuilt...3 post season tournaments last 4 years.  Great recruiting class coming in next year.  Exactly.  Reading all this other drivel from people that have no idea what it would do to set the program back is amazing to me.  Wojo has a ways to go, no doubt...but stick to the plan.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »
Fairly effective? I think Markus scores 51(!) points. That’s...not very effective.

He bet me $200 a few days ago and said I know nothing about college basketball....like stealing candy from a baby. 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2019, 08:45:14 PM »
Yup, and he's met my criteria for 5 years.  Took over a team that couldn't even get a NIT bid, rebuilt...3 post season tournaments last 4 years.  Great recruiting class coming in next year.  Exactly.  Reading all this other drivel from people that have no idea what it would do to set the program back is amazing to me.  Wojo has a ways to go, no doubt...but stick to the plan.
you are amusing.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »
Why in year 6 of Buzz under your other user names were you not hopping mad when we couldn't even get a 7-10 seed in the NIT, let alone the NCAA? 

And if winning those "big time" games that only you get to define doesn't start....what are YOU going to do about it?  Withhold the $100 annual donation?

You seem to struggle to understand context, and seem to be quite unhinged. Have a nice evening, and I hope you come back tomorrow feeling more calm and rational.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2019, 08:48:23 PM »
So let me get this straight, a team with nothing but 5* players, Hall of Fame coaches can lose on their home court to mid majors, but MU losing to the 5th ranked team in the country on a neutral court is mediocre and just another example of mediocrity.

Silly argument by you.  AGAIN.

You know what would be a great idea.  Lose the best MU recruiting class in years....throw it away....get a new coach who simply will not stand for such mediocrity...MU can go to the corner coaching store and pick one up tomorrow who is sure to stay at MU for decades to deliver us the just deserts we all deserve.

As one of the biggest Wojo non supporters in recent years, even I am so impressed by this recruiting class, he gets a little longer leash with me. How's that for positivity?? That being said, that will in no way, shape or form excuse a non tournament year this year.

With your Duke example Cheeks, let me ask you this...sure Duke can lose a game on their home court to SFA, because you know why?? They won't lose many more. They have a MUCH larger margin for error than does MU. And therein lies my biggest complaint...Going in to every single year almost without fail, and barring something completely disastrous, wouldn't you wager large sums of money that schools like UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, heck even Gonzaga, Villanova, etc are going to be a tournament team before the season starts almost every single year?? Once they get there, who knows what happens, but you KNOW they are going to get there before the ball is even rolled out to start the season. It hasn't been that way under Wojo, and that's at least the step I'd like to see the program get to, and it's disappointing it hasn't. I'd rather go into every year knowing they will be in the tourney and are essentially playing the season for seeding rather than wondering how big of an impact every loss will have on them.

And again, I am NOT saying he should be let go, but you continue this fallacy that they would automatically lose the recruiting class. That is not a given and has been proven recruiting classes have and will stay at a school when a new Coach comes in. Could they leave?? Sure absolutely they could, but to say it's an automatic is disingenuous. I think it would depend on who the coach was they brought in.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 08:51:47 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2019, 09:22:26 PM »
It has nothing to do with who's being a better fan etc. I never said that. Sure there were encouraging signs IF(and that's the qualifier) it actually helps them later on(and it's meaningful). But there's no guarantee's it will. Maybe they will just keep losing games regardless. We all hope not, but we can't dismiss that possibility either. So in that regard, I'd rather win as much as I possibly can then try to be positive from a loss in HOPES that it will pay dividends down the road. Because, what if it doesn't?? Then what was learned from that loss or this loss or any other?? I'm 100% with you if it was some "magic pill" and guaranteed things would be better after a loss, but none of us know that for sure.

Sounds like you actually agree with me ... except you want some kind of "guarantee."

There are no guarantees in sports, and I'm a little surprised that you seem to think there are.

Have a nice night, guru.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2019, 09:48:54 PM »
He bet me $200 a few days ago and said I know nothing about college basketball....like stealing candy from a baby.

mu.n8ball

• Starter
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2019, 09:53:28 PM »
At some point moral victories need to stop, and winning big time games needs to start.

You win some, you lose some. We've won big time games under Wojo as well, beating number 1 Villanova comes to mind.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »
Please end your donations and stop buying tickets...that will show them who is boss.  My question to the crowd that thinks Al is still alive and it is 1977....do you still drive a Pinto?

Al is alive only in our hearts and memories.

I wish it was 1977. I weighed a lot less and I had a lot, lot, lot more hair. But I had no investments and very little savings  ;D

I drive a BMW 5 series, thank you very much. The Pinto is but an explosive bad dream! :o

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2019, 10:09:19 PM »
Great question.  What say you after 5-years to judge, and now 6 consecutive years of absolute beat downs by Big 10 teams?

Does our coach have all of "his guys?"  Check
The silly and false empty cupboard excuse fully retired?  Check
An experienced and "old" roster?  Check
1st Team All American?  Check

So, it would seem in sports or business, the answer to your question would be:  Management isn't getting it done.

Off the top of my head in the last 2 years... Purdue and Wisconsin were wins.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2019, 10:13:03 PM »
Everyone is unhinged. Howard only scored 11 on USC when they zoned. The rest of the game was man.

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2019, 10:17:32 PM »
Markus - He's never going to average 40... but he's also never going to average 6.  If he scores 20, MU still loses.  It is possible to take him out of the game.  It was done last year, and it's been done twice already this year.  It takes a combination of size, strategy, and compliant refereeing, but he can be "removed" from effectiveness.
Bailey - a taste of things to come I hope
Sacar - solid
Jayce - Deserves more minutes.  Was strong.  Played smart.  Smarter than the other two bigs by a mile. Even sets good screens without moving too soon.
Theo - cannot seem to get above the rim any more.  Plays terrible defense.  Always going for the block.
Ed - Should only play after everyone including the walk-ons has fouled out.  A complete waste of a scholarship.  Making freshman (high school freshman) mistakes.  He's always in the way of the drive/cutter on offense and on defense his man scored nearly every time he was in. 
Jamal - it's so easy for him to not contribute.  But he should.  Too quiet.
Greg - Needs more minutes.  Seems to have a lot of rust.
Koby - at least he hit that late 3... maybe that will get him off to a good start next game.  He needs to learn how to finish at this level of competition. 
Coaching - Not bad.  Markus, Sacar and Koby all had 15 foot pull-ups available. Only Sacar took them regularly and made them.  Koby took 2 as I remember but clanged them.  Markus could have taken them but decided to attack.  I thought a correction could have been made and he could have 10-12 easy points off of pull-ups rather than attacking 3 guys.  I think the scout was to defend hard inside, let them have the 3's and then suddenly Maryland started making 3's.

Porky concurs with everything except Ed.  When Ed is on he's solid , and has proven he can score when needed.  Yes he had a bad game today but this strikes Porky as unfair.  Now that we have Jayce, if his performance today is a harbinger of what's to come, Porky would start him over Theo, but Porky has also long thought Ed should start over Theo, since he's much more of a scoring option and today aside, still very good defensively.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 10:19:38 PM by PorkysButthole »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2019, 10:25:31 PM »
Everyone is unhinged. Howard only scored 11 on USC when they zoned. The rest of the game was man.

So 11 points in...5 or so minutes? Again, not very effective defense.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2019, 10:37:53 PM »

"Ahh, but the strawberries. that's where I had them...I proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt...and with geometric logic..."

Chico is indeed our own Captain Queeg. Perfect call.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2019, 10:43:50 PM »
Al is alive only in our hearts and memories.

I wish it was 1977. I weighed a lot less and I had a lot, lot, lot more hair. But I had no investments and very little savings  ;D

I drive a BMW 5 series, thank you very much. The Pinto is but an explosive bad dream! :o

I miss him as well, wonderful to work with.  Will never forget him until the day I die.  Definitely alive in memories.  Special guy, one in a million...which is the point...one in a million.

I prefer the 7 series myself, but the 5 is nice.   

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #141 on: December 01, 2019, 10:48:02 PM »
"Ahh, but the strawberries. that's where I had them...I proved, beyond a shadow of a doubt...and with geometric logic..."

Chico is indeed our own Captain Queeg. Perfect call.

You two are old...like dirt old.  LOL.

As for Mutaman, as I said long again...he’s a Badgers fan and you guys keep,falling for his crap.

https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Board/103797/Contents/Badgers-Football-Ohio-State-knocks-off-Wisconsin-27-21-in-the-Big-Ten-title-game-111558658/?page=40

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #142 on: December 01, 2019, 10:51:15 PM »
The silly and false empty cupboard excuse

Still waiting for your answer.

Name a team that missed the NIT, lost 5 of its top 6 players in minutes played, lost it's coach, lost all but one member of its recruiting class, that made the NCAAs the following season. Bonus points if the 1 returner in the top 6 is the caliber of Derrick Wilson.

The ghost of Al McGuire with Jay Wright, Mark Few, and Coach K as assistants was not getting that team to the NCAAs. A great (or dirty) coach may have been able to get them back in year 2. I think two years of rebuild was reasonable given the starting point.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 11:44:32 PM by TAMU Garcia »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 01, 2019, 11:06:17 PM »
Still waiting for your answer.

graduated 6 of its top 7 players in minutes played

Actually he lost 4 of the 11 players who averaged more than 10 mpg to graduation - Gardner, Jamil, Jake Thomas and Otule. One quit over the summer (Mayo), three transferred (Taylor, Dawson and Burton). JJJ, Duane Wilson, Derrick, and Juan Anderson returned. Sandy Cohen and Luke Fischer were added.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2019, 11:21:34 PM »
Actually he lost 4 of the 11 players who averaged more than 10 mpg to graduation - Gardner, Jamil, Jake Thomas and Otule. One quit over the summer (Mayo), three transferred (Taylor, Dawson and Burton). JJJ, Duane Wilson, Derrick, and Juan Anderson returned. Sandy Cohen and Luke Fischer were added.

One quit over the Summer....lol....yeah...

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2019, 11:27:20 PM »
USC looked great tonight. Smacked Harvard around. The talent is there, hopeful that will stay as a quality win.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2019, 11:30:54 PM »
USC looked great tonight. Smacked Harvard around. The talent is there, hopeful that will stay as a quality win.

They tend to do this quite a bit.  Could get a win over Arizona or another high end school, but will lose to a Washington State.  Agree, hope they can get some wins to help us.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2019, 11:47:36 PM »

Mea culpa. I was going off memory and added an extra player,  it was 5 of 6. And while Mayo didn't graduate,  Wojo couldn't have kept him if he wanted to. So I'll reask.

Name a team that missed the NIT, lost 5 of its top 6 players in minutes played, lost it's coach, lost all but one member of its recruiting class, that made the NCAAs the following season. Bonus points if the 1 returner in the top 6 is the caliber of Derrick Wilson.

I think you'll get the same answer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2019, 11:54:35 PM »
Mea culpa. I was going off memory and added an extra player,  it was 5 of 6. And while Mayo didn't graduate,  Wojo couldn't have kept him if he wanted to. So I'll reask.

I think you'll get the same answer.

You are missing one additional qualifier....and did so in a conference like the Big East which was ranked the #2 conference in the country in Wojo’s first year behind only the Big 12.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2019, 07:28:15 AM »
You are on quite a roll under your new name

Irony abounds.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback