[Today at 05:26:50 AM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by 1SE
[Today at 03:36:17 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Terrap-le  (Read 34503 times)

skianth16

• All American
Re: Terrap-le
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »
Not in shape enough to play three in a short time stretch. Jayce showed he can be a stud in the post against NBA prospects. He was a man under the rim. Brendan got a chance to build his confidence and Sacar came through. This is an extremely talent Maryland and they were hot today. Our shots didn't fall .  At least we lost in the Championship game.

Why would this be true for us but not Marlyand? Every team is in the same position right now.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2019, 02:21:14 PM »
More good than bad in a complete blowout? You must have low expectations for this team. Sure there was some good but a 21 point blowout should never be considered mostly good

1SE

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
Maryland is good. Easy to see them as a final four team. We are not a final four team.

Markus really struggle with tall athletic guards.also legs were really tired clearly.

I'd prefer not to have lost by 20 but overall a good tourney.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
More good than bad in a complete blowout? You must have low expectations for this team. Sure there was some good but a 21 point blowout should never be considered mostly good

Never change, Jonny. Keep on hating everything.

You're less if a glass half empty person and more of a "the fact we have to use a glass shows we have failed on an evolutionary level." Keep on keeping on
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
Today wasn't about what Marquette didn't do, it is about what Maryland DID do.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »

You're less if a glass half empty person and more of a "the fact we have to use a glass shows we have failed on an evolutionary level." Keep on keeping on
How ridiculous. Think you have the wrong jonny. A disagreement about "more good than bad" is NOT hate. I agreed with all the positives today and said this team has potential. I did also say it frustrating and a blowout cuz it was. There was no hate anywhere. Good day

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
Today wasn't about what Marquette didn't do, it is about what Maryland DID do.
Their first half defense was as good as a defense can play.
No Finish Line

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
Strongly disagree.

Jayce had a big day on the glass against a really good big. Sacar had some great drives and hit some nice shots. The zone worked well to get Maryland off their game.

There is plenty to work on and improve, but Bailey wasn't the only good thing today.

Agreed, the team is starting to get their sea legs.   Bailey, Jayce and Sacar for starters.   I think for the most part they played with some fight as well (minus a few plays at the end of the game where they let the player in the middle of the zone get uncontested looks).   Several shots went in and out, lots of long offensive rebounds for Maryland and our all American had a bad game (in the second half he looked exhausted after trying al game to get open).

This game will help us going forward.  Should be a much improved team by March.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2019, 02:29:19 PM »

There's Johnny B and there's Jonny09....
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2019, 02:30:47 PM »
Why would this be true for us but not Marlyand? Every team is in the same position right now.

All teams different, some are deeper than others...some have had more difficult games, some haven't.  Difficult to compare necessarily.  I get your point, the situations are similar, but the makeup of teams so different.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2019, 02:31:02 PM »
There's Johnny B and there's Jonny09....

Dammit. It's after a loss. I just assume its the negative one

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2019, 02:31:20 PM »
Losing by 20 is what happens when you play a more talented, longer team playing at a high level when you play less than your best.

Are they a longer team than us? It seemed like a pretty even pairing to me. I don't think we'll see many teams that are noticeably bigger/longer than us this year. We have 2 good sized guards in Koby and Sacar, good options at the wing with Brendan and Jamal, and then between Theo and Jayce we got both height and strength.

It might be fair to say that playing a team with length bothers us. But I don't think they were bigger/longer than us. At least not to an extent that should matter.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »

+1

People poo poo Johnny but an organization/message board is always stronger when you have both sides of an argument.

You keep being you, Johnny.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »
Am I seriously that controversial on this board or are people confusing me with jonny09?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »
Am I seriously that controversial on this board or are people confusing me with jonny09?

The latter in my case.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2019, 02:35:46 PM »
A couple of thoughts:

1) This proved the pre-Hausershima rating of 4 was unrealistic. Had the Hausers not defected, I don't think the outcome of this game would have been materially different. We are not their equal yet.

2) Not sure what's up with Theo on the offensive side. But, man, the guy MUST finish. Jam the ball through the cylinder and take the defender with it if you have to. Or break the guy's hand but for crying out loud, don't let him stop you! You are Theo, you're better than that.

3) Sacar and Brendan had something to build on. If they can keep this up, they'll have to take pressure off Markus and then......

4) If Jayce isn't starting by January 2, 2020, he's either injured again or Wojo needs his head examined.

5) Dan Dakish is stupid. His comments about our 1977 team (which he referred to as our 1979 team), especially Jerome's shot, were off base. The refs were looking NO, JEROME DID NOT COMMIT BASKET INTERFERENCE. Crawl back in your Bobby Knight hole, Dan. That debate has been going on for years and all you proved is you are an idiot.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2019, 02:36:07 PM »

Just admit you are the same person...and Billy Hoyle, Dad, Pakuni and others....

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:40:23 PM by Johnny B »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2019, 02:40:33 PM »
I am ners,willie, and tamu. Multiple personalities  8-)

Everyone knows ners and TAMU are the same people....good call.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »
A couple of thoughts:

1) This proved the pre-Hausershima rating of 4 was unrealistic. Had the Hausers not defected, I don't think the outcome of this game would have been materially different. We are not their equal yet.

2) Not sure what's up with Theo on the offensive side. But, man, the guy MUST finish. Jam the ball through the cylinder and take the defender with it if you have to. Or break the guy's hand but for crying out loud, don't let him stop you! You are Theo, you're better than that.

3) Sacar and Brendan had something to build on. If they can keep this up, they'll have to take pressure off Markus and then......

4) If Jayce isn't starting by January 2, 2020, he's either injured again or Wojo needs his head examined.

5) Dan Dakish is stupid. His comments about our 1977 team (which he referred to as our 1979 team), especially Jerome's shot, were off base. The refs were looking NO, JEROME DID NOT COMMIT BASKET INTERFERENCE. Crawl back in your Bobby Knight hole, Dan. That debate has been going on for years and all you proved is you are an idiot.

I think it depends on who we are playing.  There will be teams where he is not going to look good because of speed and agility. 

I've seen enough of Sacar that he will remain inconsistent.  I have had high opes for BB since last year, still think he can be an all-timer at MU.  Hopefully today is the start, but he has the tools.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »
There were some good things today as others have said...just not enough to get the win and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters. That being said, we saw a different team in this tournament then we had seen previously, so that's a good thing. I do think if Wojo ever gets to run his two bigs offense like he has talked about(before Jayce got hurt), it will actually help the whole offense some, especially Markus. They SHOULD win out the rest of the non conference now and head into Creighton in good shape. It's all about the Big East season.

This is who Jayce is when he's healthy, a glass cleaner, good defender etc. We will see more of it going forward. Someone mentioned, Jayce does a better job of fouling than the other bigs...that is VERY true. His fouls aren't stupid, his fouls are typically hard and prevent a basket. Theo's are ticky tack(and sometimes not always his fault).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:46:26 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2019, 02:45:15 PM »
This reminds me a bit of watching FSU in the tourney last year.  We don’t have the athletes to out-athlete the top 15 or so teams.  To win we would need to impose our will or game plan on them.

Good of course was BB, Jayce and Sacar all coming alive. 

UMD’s game plan was smart and well executed.  This is a similarity in our two losses.  I still can’t figure out what we are trying to be on O.   

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
We played a team that had more talent than we did.  They had a very good defensive strategy that was well executed. So we ended up losing big.

Brendan, Sacar and Jayce added value today. Hopefully, the team can build on that.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »
Scoopers fault for not starting a 'Maryland is evil' thread.

With never having a match-up before, we couldn't be certain they were evil.  Now we know better...

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2019, 02:52:46 PM »
7-33 shooting for Markus in the two losses in which MU lost by 37 points combined