[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Terrap-le  (Read 34153 times)

tower912

• All American
Terrap-le
« on: December 01, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
1.   Yeah, those posts need to be fed more. :o
2.  Maryland did a great job of chasing Markus off his spots. And they kept switching to make sure the next guy chased him off the line, too.  Great job on defense.  Complete sellout to stop Markus.   But shooters gotta keep shooting.    Next adjustment to Markus and Wojo. 
3.   When did Theo get small?   And tentative?
4.   Brendan Bailey, welcome to the party, pal.   That is the kind of offensive game I have been expecting.   Maybe not quite this many, but I fully expected him to average double digits this year.     
5.   Koby and Markus = snakebit today.   Can't have them both playing poorly. 
6.  Liked the little zone wrinkle.   It worked for a few possessions.   But rebounding out of a zone is always an issue.   
7.  MU's help in man defense was  slow today, too.   I got it during the first couple games, running teams off the line.  I thought it was a conscious choice.   Today, quicker help was needed. 
8.  Jayce gave a glimpse today, too.   7 foot, throwing himself around with reckless abandon.   Only big getting offensive rebounds.   Start him.   He is playing best of the bigs. 
9.   So, Bailey, Johnson, Sacar played well.   Not enough.   But something. 
10. Maryland is undefeated and ranked #5 for a reason.  Very talented and high energy on every possession today.   Kudos to them. 
11.  I still believe in the upside of this team.   Time to go back to work.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Terrap-le
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 01:55:50 PM »
Bailey, Koby, and Sacar are either good or horrendous. Need to get that to “either good or okay.” If we can get them there the team will be solid.

I hope we’re done crying when our bigs only get 1 shot attempt in a game. There’s a reason for it. Jayce understands it and seems to be getting more up to speed. I think he’ll be a big piece for us come Big East play.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 01:58:14 PM »
Learned the team isnt one dimensional. But unfortunately took the whole first half to find a new identity.

This one reminds me of the Old Spice classic game where the team just ran out of gas against FL state.

Feel like this team has a much higher ceiling after this tournament. Specifically this game. Hurts today to lose, but should help in the long run
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 01:58:58 PM »
Agree on all the points. This team will just be hit or miss. If Markus was rolling it would have been a great game. Nice to see some of the other guys mentioned step up.

What I’m extremely concerned about is the guards on the roster for NEXT season. MU needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat (Mane?) or hit the grad transfer market. They need a serious talent upgrade at the 1 and 2 positions for next year unless Bailey moves to the 2.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
Really bad first half. 
Really bad Markus (the goat today, but not why MU lost).
Encouraging signs in second half (Bailey, Anim, JJ). 
Played them even in second half.
Good adjustment to zone.

Disappointing, but I'm moving on.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 02:00:02 PM »
This one reminds me of the Old Spice classic game where the team just ran out of gas against FL state.

Nice comp.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 02:02:06 PM »
Possibly worst markus game since high school. Played better in second half. A few silver linings like BB etc but it was a complete blowout and MU was really never in it. Tough to watch but this team has potential.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 02:02:35 PM »
Big Johnson with 11 rebounds.  BB with 27 points and 6 rebounds.  Sacar with 21 points.

Maryland really good.  Overall a good result for the tournament on the whole.  A lot of work to do, plenty of good things came out of it. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
Trying to look at the big picture. Rough performance but I thought the coaching was okay. Markus hits a few early shots and the game is different. He was bad today. It happens. Jayce looked much improved.

Bailey hopefully gets going after this. Sacar had a nice stretch. 5-2 with a quad 1 win, two quad 2 wins and two harmless (and ugly) losses. Avoid losing to the bunnies at home and it's a good non conference. Do that and beat KSU and it's a great one.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 02:04:22 PM »
As bad as the first half was, there was a lot to like in the second half. I feel like we cleaned up some of the mistakes in the second half, and the effort from the whole team stayed constant, making the last 20 minutes pretty competitive. If Markus hits even 25% of his FG attempts, we're right there today. Unfortunately, he was just ice cold.

Our bigs got some nice looks but were just awful at finishing around the rim. Theo just has to be better on offense. I don't know why he's such a weak guy on offense but such a strong presence on defense. Bring in on the other end too, big fella!

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 02:05:26 PM »
Only good thing was Bailey.  Hope this game provides him with the confidence to move forward this year and especially next year.  All it takes is one game like this to change everything significantly.  He looked extremely confident after making some of those shots, you could tell by his expressions.  Nice job.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »
Nice comp.
I don't think so.  We were in that FSU game right to the end.  Today we just got hammered by a better team who was focused.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 02:07:09 PM »
Trying to look at the big picture. Rough performance but I thought the coaching was okay. Markus hits a few early shots and the game is different. He was bad today. It happens. Jayce looked much improved.

Markus was bad today because he was really well defended by players with quickness and length.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 02:07:55 PM »
1.Ran into a top 5 team that played their best ball of the year. 
2.Markus isn't going to shoot 1-12 or 13 or whatever very often. 
3. This loss isn't going to hurt one iota. 
4. Ideally. Need to avoid another non-con loss.
5. I like or chances if Sacar and more importantly Bailey play anything like they did today.  Wow!
6. Not convinced Koby is very good yet.  He most definitely wasn't this weekend.
7. Yawn tournament for the Detroit boys. 
8. 2 out of 3 with a loss to Maryland is about as good as we could have hoped for before the first game Thursday night.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2019, 02:08:36 PM »
Markus was bad today because he was really well defended by players with quickness and length.

Even when he got shots they were short. Fatigue was definitely a factor. Would have been nice to win this, but it is what it is.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »

Agreed. That makes it tougher. But he's had great games against other teams with quickness and length.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »
Only good thing was Bailey. Hope this game provides him with the confidence to move forward this year and especially next year.  All it takes is one game like this to change everything significantly.  He looked extremely confident after making some of those shots, you could tell by his expressions.  Nice job.

Strongly disagree.

Jayce had a big day on the glass against a really good big. Sacar had some great drives and hit some nice shots. The zone worked well to get Maryland off their game.

There is plenty to work on and improve, but Bailey wasn't the only good thing today.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 02:09:26 PM »
Teams are going guard markus the same way maryland did today, they'll find a way around it

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 02:10:50 PM »
Not in shape enough to play three in a short time stretch. Jayce showed he can be a stud in the post against NBA prospects. He was a man under the rim. Brendan got a chance to build his confidence and Sacar came through. This is an extremely talent Maryland and they were hot today. Our shots didn't fall .  At least we lost in the Championship game. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 02:13:01 PM »
Scoopers fault for not starting a 'Maryland is evil' thread.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Warrior2008

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2019, 02:13:49 PM »
I liked the fight they had in the second half, could’ve easily folded and lost by 30+ when they went down 26 a couple minutes into the second half.  Jayce and Brendan were bright spots and hopefully this is a spring board for them going forward. Sacar also played well too.  That said Markus can’t be an all or nothing player or we’re going to be a borderline bubble team at best. I understand he’s a threat to score and start a run at any point, but when he starts forcing shots on days like today where he’s not hitting, it’s too easy for the opponent and momentum killers for us. And today unlike at Wisconsin, we had other players stepping up.

There’s no shame in losing to a team like Maryland though, they’re top 5 for a reason and we played toe to toe with them in the second half. To me, that’s progress.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2019, 02:15:53 PM »
Bold take: I saw more good today than bad and I think our ceiling is higher after today’s game than it was before today’s game
No Finish Line

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2019, 02:16:47 PM »
I liked the fight they had in the second half, could’ve easily folded and lost by 30+ when they went down 26 a couple minutes into the second half.  Jayce and Brendan were bright spots and hopefully this is a spring board for them going forward. Sacar also played well too.  That said Markus can’t be an all or nothing player or we’re going to be a borderline bubble team at best. I understand he’s a threat to score and start a run at any point, but when he starts forcing shots on days like today where he’s not hitting, it’s too easy for the opponent and momentum killers for us. And today unlike at Wisconsin, we had other players stepping up.

There’s no shame in losing to a team like Maryland though, they’re top 5 for a reason and we played toe to toe with them in the second half. To me, that’s progress.

Win at Wisconsin if the secondary cast plays like today. So it goes. Team is growing into roles left from certain departures. Beat K State and the rest of the noncon, and we will be in good shape for BEast

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2019, 02:17:16 PM »
Losing by 20 is what happens when you play a more talented, longer team playing at a high level when you play less than your best.  It happens.  I thought Marquette played hard and encouraged by showings of bailey and Johnson. its Disappointing loss, but like to players show at this time of season
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »
Bold take: I saw more good today than bad and I think our ceiling is higher after today’s game than it was before today’s game
I agree.

feedback