'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A win is a win is a win is a win  (Read 44174 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: A win is a win is a win is a win
« Reply #250 on: November 27, 2019, 09:40:07 AM »
If Al had 2 fewer losses in March of '77 there's a real chance we don't have his name on our jerseys, our court, or our on-campus arena (including a nice statue!). Winning in March absolutely matters, and coaches who can't get it done will draw criticism from the fanbase. All year long, and even many years afterward. You obviously don't like it, but that doesn't change the reality that winning in the postseason of any sport matters to fans.

I don't disagree with the former. But continually criticizing Wojo for something that can't change for 4 months even if the team plays perfectly, winning every game, is the definition of a straw man.

Does winning in March matter? Of course. But between now and Tuesday, March 17 at the minimum, there is nothing he can do to change that. Complaining about a lack of in-season results, gameplan issues, those are salient and timely gripes. I'm not anti-Wojo criticism, but complaining about something he can't change for months seems a disingenuous argument at best.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »
What does not help Wojo/program IMO is that we really have played a sub par schedule and have not looked very good doing it. We have not played many games and the teams we have played are not marquee teams. I think that adds to my frustration. Last season there were three fun home games in December, all wins, and made for even anti Wojo guys to be optimistic.

Truthfully, I could not tell you the last time MU played a good game against a quality opponent. It has been bad performances for quite a few games and months since they looked like a NCAA team. It is hard to challenge any anti Wojo folks based off the last 10-15 games his team's have played.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2019, 10:38:11 AM »
Truthfully, I could not tell you the last time MU played a good game against a quality opponent.

Well, Purdue was scheduled 18 months ago as part of a home-and-home; they were ranked high all last season and were No. 23 entering this season. After a poor first 17 minutes, we played brilliantly in the final 23 minutes. So hopefully you remember that one, as it was only 2 weeks ago.

I know the counter-argument is that we didn't play a full, complete good game against them. Look around basketball. Even the Dukes, Kentuckys and Michigan States have trouble playing 40 minutes of the kind of perfect basketball anti-Wojo-ites seem to expect. I saw Al's Warriors play lots and lots of games that involved great comebacks -- comebacks that were necessary because they were hardly 40 minutes of perfection. I guess if Wojo punched a guy, it would have make the Purdue comeback more legit?

I think we played a good game against Seton Hall in the BET last March, too. Unfortunately, stuff happened (some self-inflicted, some inflicted by others) to prevent finishing it with a win.

As for "quality opponents" ... as you know, Goose, unfortunately the schedule is made before we know exactly how good teams will be. Purdue was one example I already gave. K-State is another two-year commitment against a team that was top-15-quality at the time of the scheduling. Maryland, our likely opponent if we reach the Orlando final, is No. 5 in the country. Davidson is almost always tough. Wisconsin is an annual commitment.

And of course the Big East will offer plenty of opportunities for our heroes to play good games against quality opponents, as "experts" are saying it might be the best conference in the country this season.

Goose, I know you join me in hoping that we have lots of good games against quality opponents this season.

We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »

I agree with your post. I am only saying that we have not seen great ball played the home team, not many games played to date and really no opponent that made you want to cancel all plans to watch on TV. I think that those three factors have thrown gas onto my frustration. Couple of well played games against BE would do wonders for the faithful.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »

I agree with your post. I am only saying that we have not seen great ball played the home team, not many games played to date and really no opponent that made you want to cancel all plans to watch on TV. I think that those three factors have thrown gas onto my frustration. Couple of well played games against BE would do wonders for the faithful.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Purdue is 10th in Kenpom. As of now, that's an elite win and a better one than most teams can claim. I do have my doubts that they'll stay there all season, though.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
BM1090

Purdue was a weeknight game, not very well played and hard to watch. On paper, fine win. Maybe I am the only person that found that game almost impossible to watch.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #256 on: November 27, 2019, 12:05:15 PM »
What does not help Wojo/program IMO is that we really have played a sub par schedule and have not looked very good doing it. We have not played many games and the teams we have played are not marquee teams. I think that adds to my frustration. Last season there were three fun home games in December, all wins, and made for even anti Wojo guys to be optimistic.

Truthfully, I could not tell you the last time MU played a good game against a quality opponent. It has been bad performances for quite a few games and months since they looked like a NCAA team. It is hard to challenge any anti Wojo folks based off the last 10-15 games his team's have played.

Truth.

And let's stick with ProJos, NoJos and SoSoJos
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #257 on: November 27, 2019, 12:06:03 PM »
BM1090

Purdue was a weeknight game, not very well played and hard to watch. On paper, fine win. Maybe I am the only person that found that game almost impossible to watch.

Happy Thanksgiving

Honestly, I don’t ever find MU impossible to watch.  Plenty of disappointing games over the years, but not impossible to watch.

Not sure I understand the scheduling part.  We knew last year with all of the home games that this year those games would be on the road as returns.  Big East games will make up for it.

Our schedule strength I have seen as good as around 100 to as bad as 224 (Sagarin)...super early.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2019, 12:09:01 PM »

Two of the four games we played are against Big Ten teams that went to the NCAA tournament last year.  Each year is different, but schedules made up in advance.  We didn’t play a good game against Seton Hall last year...NCAA team?  We didn’t blow out St John’s end of last year, an NCAA team?  Did we not just win going away against Purdue? 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #259 on: November 27, 2019, 12:27:21 PM »
Two of the four games we played are against Big Ten teams that went to the NCAA tournament last year.  Each year is different, but schedules made up in advance.  We didn’t play a good game against Seton Hall last year...NCAA team?  We didn’t blow out St John’s end of last year, an NCAA team?  Did we not just win going away against Purdue?

If by win going away you mean come back from an 18 point lead to take our first lead of the game with 4 mins left in the game then yes we won doing away. I get your point though. No one can really tell how good/bad this team is from the small sample size. I really want a match up with Maryland to see.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #260 on: November 27, 2019, 12:34:34 PM »
Cheeks

Simply saying that there is not been a great deal of great ball played by MU in last 10-15 games, and zero entertainment value with the four games thus far. If you get excited about the two Big 10 games played so far, you have a higher threshold of boredom than I do.

Not going to debate you because it is foolish and a waste of time.

That said, Happy Thanksgiving Jams!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #261 on: November 27, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »
BM1090

I found the last 23 minutes of that Purdue game to be extremely enjoyable, Goose. McEwen and Markus were outstanding, the defense was smothering, we got nice contributions from a couple of role players, and our heroes rallied to win. What's not to love (besides the first 17 minutes)?

The opener, against a crappy team, was very entertaining, with Markus scoring 548 points in the first 9 minutes ... or something like that.

Last two games, not so much. That's sports, ebbs and flows, even among the best teams.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, as well.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #262 on: November 27, 2019, 01:03:54 PM »
If by win going away you mean come back from an 18 point lead to take our first lead of the game with 4 mins left in the game then yes we won doing away. I get your point though. No one can really tell how good/bad this team is from the small sample size. I really want a match up with Maryland to see.

I was looking at it from the perspective in the last 15 minutes of the game, we outscored them 30 to 12 to close out the game.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #263 on: November 27, 2019, 01:06:55 PM »
Cheeks

Simply saying that there is not been a great deal of great ball played by MU in last 10-15 games, and zero entertainment value with the four games thus far. If you get excited about the two Big 10 games played so far, you have a higher threshold of boredom than I do.

Not going to debate you because it is foolish and a waste of time.

That said, Happy Thanksgiving Jams!!

All in the eye of the beholder I guess.  Those last 10 to 15 games include wins against Villanova, Butler, St. John's, Purdue, Providence, etc...also include some heartbreaking losses and some dreadful ones.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #264 on: November 27, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »
It seems like there is quite a large spread in what different posters will watch regarding MUBB.  We've got some clamoring for any sort of stream of the Europe trip, going to the open practices and giving in depth reports.  I remember the outrage when NIT tickets were unavailable two years ago. 

Others find a 30 point swing against a high major that went to the E8 last year, and that we'd never beaten to have "zero entertainment value".  Different strokes for different folks.  Although one can wonder if why you find there to be no entertainment value, you not only continue to tune in, but post about the games on a message board?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #265 on: November 27, 2019, 01:57:32 PM »
BM1090

It certainly wasn't aesthetically pleasing, but it was a win over a good team. Given that we've only played 4 games I'm thrilled to have a quality win under our belts already.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #266 on: November 27, 2019, 02:01:18 PM »
DJO

I found the three home games last December and a number of BE games to be very entertaining. As a whole, give me 2-3 exciting games, 4-5 good games and general mix between average to below average and I am fine. I do not expect to be circling my calendar 30 times prior to the season. IMO, if MU was 3-1 and played quality ball in those games thus far I would be fine with that. As I noted, it has been a hangover from the end of last season for me. 82 pointed out SH game from last year and refreshed my memory. That was entertaining to me.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #267 on: November 27, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
DJO

I found the three home games last December and a number of BE games to be very entertaining. As a whole, give me 2-3 exciting games, 4-5 good games and general mix between average to below average and I am fine. I do not expect to be circling my calendar 30 times prior to the season. IMO, if MU was 3-1 and played quality ball in those games thus far I would be fine with that. As I noted, it has been a hangover from the end of last season for me. 82 pointed out SH game from last year and refreshed my memory. That was entertaining to me.

Once again, different strokes for different folks.  I find any and every MU win to be extremely entertaining (some more than other obviously).  If it didn't have adverse effects on our SOS and therefore our postseason potential, I would be 100% okay with a Charmin soft non conference schedule every year. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #268 on: November 27, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »
Truth.

And let's stick with ProJos, NoJos and SoSoJos

Can't get SoSoJo to the tune of Sussudio out of my head now, thanks

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #269 on: November 27, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
LOL. OK, Hoopy.

Joined Nov 25th 2017.  2 years ago
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #270 on: November 27, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »
Brother Dad, many of us have been following Warrior basketball for decades. Perhaps you have too.

We know there has been injuries. Trust me, your point has some merit. But we also this is a senior-led team and the core of the team has been together for some time. The problems they are having should not be happening.

The reason we're so down is that we're seeing the same problems that have concerned us for several years: the hero ball, the lack of meaningful contribution from too much of our line-up, the lack of defensive steals, the turnovers etc.  The Wisconsin game disgusted us. The Robert Morris game scared us.

We are angry with our coach for allowing Hausershima to happen. He should have managed his locker room more effectively. We question the quality of this coach's offense and his ability to use his center. We see a lack of in-game adjustments. We actually want our coach to succeed and while there is division between the fire Wojo crowd and the let him develop crowd, we're all afraid if it does not work out, we're all condemned to yet another rebuild. Nobody wants that, especially with what we have coming in next year.

If I may respond to some of your statements.   Do you think adjustments were made in the Purdue game?

Was not MU’s offense one of the best in the nation the last few years, but defense the problem?  He has emphasized and improved the defense as a result.

Robert Morris scared you, but is that not normal for this time of year in college basketball?

Hauserschima (that is a great descriptor), do we know if anything he could do could save it?  Or anyone else for that matter?  My daughter is a junior, knows some of the players. Her belief is Joey never wanted to be here from day one and statements of players now echo that.  One would likely believe coach would do anything to keep everyone together, but there are marriages that break up no matter what one tries to do. No amount of intervention can help.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #271 on: November 27, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
I'd be happy with 4-0 and crap quality vs 0-4 of outstanding quality.

Just me though.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #272 on: November 27, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »
Just win, baby.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #273 on: November 27, 2019, 10:35:20 PM »
Hey Goose ... You wanna talk about "unwatchable" ... How about the defending national champions' 46-26 win over Maine?

If that were an aberration, it would be one thing. But Virginia plays a lot of those.

Nevertheless, lotsa Scoopers pine for Bennett, the most revered Hauser had no problem going to play there, and it sure seems UVa fans are happy.

I guess winning cures all, even if it's more exciting to watch paint dry.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #274 on: November 28, 2019, 07:44:31 AM »
Hey Goose ... You wanna talk about "unwatchable" ... How about the defending national champions' 46-26 win over Maine?

If that were an aberration, it would be one thing. But Virginia plays a lot of those.

Nevertheless, lotsa Scoopers pine for Bennett, the most revered Hauser had no problem going to play there, and it sure seems UVa fans are happy.

I guess winning cures all, even if it's more exciting to watch paint dry.

The Bennett family belongs in prison
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

feedback