[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A win is a win is a win is a win  (Read 44162 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: A win is a win is a win is a win
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2019, 09:47:23 AM »
Anyone take a guess as to why this team refuses to try and play in transition more? Granted, we haven't had many live-ball turnovers. But even on defensive boards, we're much more likely to walk it up the court.

So far, one of my biggest disappointments of this young season.

I thought with McEwen, Elliott, Torrence, an improved Bailey and an improved Cain, to go with Anim and Theo, we would get more fast-break opportunities ignited either by a steal or a blocked shot. So far, we haven't.

This is not a great offensive team. It sure would be nice to get a few easy buckets.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2019, 09:50:49 AM »
So final tally on Howard's minutes is 25. I know he sat the last 7:30 of the first half with two fouls but he didn't pick up a foul the rest of the game and still didn't play max minutes in the second half. What do you all think? Intentionally didn't rely on him to get the other guys to step up? Or was Wojo legitimately limiting his minutes because he thought it was the best way to win the game?

I felt Wojo wanted to get other guys involved so we could get them going, so Markus deferred. Was surprised he didn’t start putting up more shots at the start of 2H and once things got tight again later in the game. Also purely conjecture and mentioned elsewhere, but Markus may be dealing with some personal relationship stuff, so Wojo May have just felt his head wasn’t right yesterday.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2019, 09:54:55 AM »
Anyone take a guess as to why this team refuses to try and play in transition more? Granted, we haven't had many live-ball turnovers. But even on defensive boards, we're much more likely to walk it up the court.

I've been wondering the same thing. This team is quicker and more athletic than what we've seen in recent years, so I assumed we'd try to push the pace more this year. But so far, we don't really seem to want to play in transition much. Are there stats available that track fast break points? If so, I'd be curious to see where we're at right now. I'm not sure if we're getting much more than 6-8 points per game so far.

The only thing I can guess is that Wojo didn't change the offensive sets much from last year when we were definitely built more as a halfcourt team. With the way we've been shooting so far, though, I think Wojo should try to get these guys to run a little more.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »

turnovers! they don't seem quite sure of their roles.  shooting has been atrocious!  stuck in mode where they are told the play is supposed to go here and they can't seem to think that if the passing lane isn't open, abort abort abort, plan "b" or plan "c", but they pass it anyway and predictably so, it's batted away and/or stolen.  they don't seem sure of each other yet, each others tendencies?  when markus is being guarded by 2-2 1/2 guys, someone has got to be open.  need an established mid-range shooter.  can't just dunk or shoot the 3.
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2019, 10:06:35 AM »
turnovers! they don't seem quite sure of their roles.  shooting has been atrocious!  stuck in mode where they are told the play is supposed to go here and they can't seem to think that if the passing lane isn't open, abort abort abort, plan "b" or plan "c", but they pass it anyway and predictably so, it's batted away and/or stolen.  they don't seem sure of each other yet, each others tendencies?  when markus is being guarded by 2-2 1/2 guys, someone has got to be open.  need an established mid-range shooter.  can't just dunk or shoot the 3.

What does that have to do with fast break scoring?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2019, 10:14:06 AM »
The Deane team was hands down better and more well rounded and its not even close.

Finally getting the recognition I deserve around here

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2019, 10:18:38 AM »

It's Wojo's defense. Hard to get out in transition when your team is sub-300 in defensive turnover percentage and steal percentage. Further, Wojo's defensive team rankings in both turnover and steal percentage have gone down every year he's been here.

Markus Howard leads this team in steal percentage with 1.5%. For comparison sake, here's where that percentage would rank on other Big East teams, as well as their leaders (using 30+% minute players only):

Xavier: 8th (Scruggs, 3.3%)
DePaul: 7th (Gage 7.8%)
Providence: 7th (Pipkins 5.1%)
Seton Hall: 7th (Rhoden, 4.3%)
Creighton: 6th (Mitchell, 5.1%)
St. John's: 6th (Rutherford, 3.6%)
Butler: 5th (Battle 3.5%)
Georgetown: 4th (McClung 3.2%)
Villanova: 4th (Gillespie 3.1%)

This is not an accident. This is strategic. We are not pressuring the ball. We are not trying to create live-ball turnovers. I wrote about this back in April:

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2019/04/turnovers-of-non-transfer-kind.html

Wojo has not made creating turnovers a defensive priority. I will say that because of this we have likely been a better eFG% defense team, and that is the most important factor in defensive efficiency. But if anyone's gripe is turnovers, don't expect it to change soon. In the past, Wojo has generally relegated players that gamble on steals to the bench and as we see this year, players that have successfully created live ball turnovers like Cain and Elliott have made that less of a focus, likely to earn minutes.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2019, 10:38:17 AM »
It’s not so they can learn how to score. The team doesn’t like playing with him and it was Wojo’s way of teaching some kind of lesson.

This season is going to be a train wreck the likes of which we haven’t seen in a long, long time.
So much foolishness
Goal is National Championship

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2019, 05:04:15 PM »
So much foolishness

It probably is foolishness, but I wouldn't particularly like playing with him.  He dominates the ball and doesn't look to get others involved.  When he is forced to share by coach (as it appears was the case yesterday) he's not too good at it. 

What I really worry about is that teams will really force him to give up the ball by hard doubling him and forcing our other guys to beat them and that those others won't be up to the task.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2019, 05:11:15 PM »
It probably is foolishness, but I wouldn't particularly like playing with him.  He dominates the ball and doesn't look to get others involved.  When he is forced to share by coach (as it appears was the case yesterday) he's not too good at it. 

What I really worry about is that teams will really force him to give up the ball by hard doubling him and forcing our other guys to beat them and that those others won't be up to the task.

Had an assist rate of 27.2 last year.  Had 5th best assist rate in Big East play.  High usage rate understood 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2019, 05:11:37 PM »
When he is forced to share by coach (as it appears was the case yesterday) he's not too good at it. 

Query: Why would Wojo "force him to share" this year but not with the Hausers? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »
I think Howard is trying to show he is a complete player.  Also, having Markus play off the ball is an adjustment and option that was unavailable last year.   So, adjustments.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2019, 05:44:52 PM »
What does that have to do with fast break scoring?

everything.  when ya turn the ball over, it kinda kills the fast break.  when ya can't shoot, it kinda kills a fast break.  when ya don't know where your players are moving, hence their tendencies, it kinda kills the fast break, when markus is being double teamed and ya can't find the open guy on the fast break, thee is no fast break.  passing lanes?  not sure what is so difficult to understand

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2019, 05:53:31 PM »
Al wood sey da teem is an extension of its coach. Woj kant run, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2019, 07:27:36 PM »
everything.  when ya turn the ball over, it kinda kills the fast break.  when ya can't shoot, it kinda kills a fast break.  when ya don't know where your players are moving, hence their tendencies, it kinda kills the fast break, when markus is being double teamed and ya can't find the open guy on the fast break, thee is no fast break.  passing lanes?  not sure what is so difficult to understand
You don’t understand what a fast break is.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »

If Wojo pumped them up a bit more in the huddle during the fast break that could help too.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2019, 07:55:47 PM »
Query: Why would Wojo "force him to share" this year but not with the Hausers?

Potential explanation: Because Wojo learned from the Hauser experience and grew from the lessons he picked up?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2019, 07:56:27 PM »
Al wood sey da teem is an extension of its coach. Woj kant run, hey?
Woj has a weight problem
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »
I think Howard is trying to show he is a complete player.  Also, having Markus play off the ball is an adjustment and option that was unavailable last year.   So, adjustments.

Why though? Opinions can differ about whether Markus should've shared the ball more last season, but with less scoring options he should be welcome to be selfish if it leads to wins.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2019, 08:17:08 PM »

if you can score, you will get your shots when.playing with Markus. See Rowsey, Andrew and Hauser, Sam.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2019, 09:20:03 PM »

Honest question: What do you think of the "play" we frequently run where Markus stands in the corner doing nothing while the other 4 guys try to get a shot? What is its purpose?How does this help him show he's a complete player? Is Wojo trying to prove to the rest of the team how lost they would be without Markus?

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »
Honest question: What do you think of the "play" we frequently run where Markus stands in the corner doing nothing while the other 4 guys try to get a shot? What is its purpose?How does this help him show he's a complete player? Is Wojo trying to prove to the rest of the team how lost they would be without Markus?

It's not just Markus.  It seems that this is a consistent thing but the player varies.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2019, 10:56:33 PM »

I know you're not asking me but this drives me insane. I know Markus is turnover prone but we're best when the ball is in his hands. He puts so much pressure on the defense to react and most teams are defending on their heels. Him standing in the corner causes the offense to go stagnant.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 11:50:51 PM by BM1090 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2019, 11:35:56 PM »
You don’t understand what a fast break is.

get down the floor quickly and put the rock in the hole...you guys are referring to the game of basketball, no?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 25, 2019, 05:26:19 AM »
I don't like it.  The only reason I can see for it is that you have to believe the opponent's best defender is playing no help defense and that Wojo believes his other 4 can beat the opponent's other 4. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback