[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280077 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #1000 on: June 10, 2020, 11:51:20 PM »
Ed Howard is such a classic Chicago athlete name. And being on the LLWS squad is just bonus. Hope he becomes a star on the Northside

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: June 11, 2020, 12:21:09 AM »
There has been some speculation that the Sox will under slot Crochet and take Jared Kelley overslot tomorrow.  Which would be great.

I’d be thrilled with Kelley, it seems like they’d have to throw away their other 3 picks to sign him. In a 5 round draft, I don’t know if that’s great or stupid.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: June 11, 2020, 07:34:48 AM »
This is a good piece about the financials.

Cards owner Bill Dewitt, who often leads many MLB owner committees, made a few curious comments this past week in a local radio interview. The comments were picked up by National baseball media. The article uses Dewitt as an example, breaks down the numbers (including his 12% annual return over 24 years.) The only thing missing in the piece is the money from the new neighborhood built around the stadium by the team.  Max Scherzer interestingly enough is a St. Louis native who came close to pitching for the Cardinals. 

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/59421/veteran-presence-thats-rich/

Dewitt was recently in the news for purchasing Eva Longoria's L.A. Villa.

https://www.latimes.com/business/real-estate/story/2020-05-11/cardinals-owner-bill-dewitt-buys-eva-longoria-hollywood-hills-villa?_amp=true
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 07:40:48 AM by shoothoops »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: June 11, 2020, 04:41:07 PM »
Wow, the Sox drafted Kelley. If they can sign him, that's some high velocity stuff coming from their top 2 picks. I like the gamble here, their offense should be very good moving forward, getting some premium young arms in the system is alright by me. Kelley is still years away, but love the upside.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1004 on: June 11, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »
Boomshakalaka!   Love it!  Sox got two top 20 talent pitchers with TOR stuff.  Plenty of risk on both, but gotta love it.  I like Shirley more than Hostetler already.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: June 11, 2020, 05:40:39 PM »
Detroit drafted a candidate for the all-name team.    Dillon Dingler.     Catcher out of Ohio St.    I really want him to make the majors because I really want to hear the announcers say his name.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: June 11, 2020, 05:51:45 PM »
Detroit drafted a candidate for the all-name team.    Dillon Dingler.     Catcher out of Ohio St.    I really want him to make the majors because I really want to hear the announcers say his name.   

Didnt Marky Mark play him once?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: June 11, 2020, 08:52:37 PM »
Boomshakalaka!   Love it!  Sox got two top 20 talent pitchers with TOR stuff.  Plenty of risk on both, but gotta love it.  I like Shirley more than Hostetler already.

Fingers crossed that both sign.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: June 11, 2020, 09:31:25 PM »
Fingers crossed that both sign.

Seems that the way the Sox punted on rounds 3-5 is a sign that they have a deal, or the makings of a deal.
At least the optimist in me thinks so.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1009 on: June 11, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »
Seems that the way the Sox punted on rounds 3-5 is a sign that they have a deal, or the makings of a deal.
At least the optimist in me thinks so.

The rumor is they already have a deal with Kelley. Crotchet may end up being the more difficult signing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: June 11, 2020, 10:02:50 PM »
I hope baseball comes back in time for these new players' 30th birthdays!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: June 11, 2020, 10:04:33 PM »
The rumor is they already have a deal with Kelley. Crotchet may end up being the more difficult signing.

Could be, but unless the Sox are trying to way underslot him, that would be a HUGE gamble by him. The track record for 1st round pitchers who don’t sign is bad.
Worst case, Sox get the #12 pick next year. I like Crotchet's upside, but he's not a generational talent. I imagine they'd get a similar talent at 12 in 2021.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:15:36 PM by Pakuni »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: June 11, 2020, 11:19:23 PM »

I'd guess they had a pretty specific idea what it would take to sign both before they selected either.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: June 11, 2020, 11:28:20 PM »
I'd guess they had a pretty specific idea what it would take to sign both before they selected either.

Yeah, I don’t think they blindly gambled here. I’m excited, this hasn’t been the Sox draft philosophy of recent years. I think they assume they won’t be drafting around the top 10 again for awhile hopefully, and they honed in on two guys with high upside.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1014 on: June 13, 2020, 11:02:26 AM »
I'm not going to pretend to know more than the scouts, because i only really know what articles tell me about the MLB draft after the fact.  But it seems kinda insane that Clayton Beeter fell to the Dodgers at 66.  Everything I read says he had the best stuff in the draft, and an elite curveball - I had seen him mentioned with teams in the middle of the first round pre-draft. 

I know he has a tommy john under his belt already, and I guess teams were worried he might not be able to log starters innings.  But who cares? The way baseball is going, if his stuff is that good, no one goes 7 IP anymore anyway.  Such a huge part of the Dodgers success has been prioritizing quality, and getting their quanitity from the number of arms rather than how deep into games those arms can go.  Guys like Beeter are just going to continue to build that out.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: June 13, 2020, 11:53:09 AM »
I'm not going to pretend to know more than the scouts, because i only really know what articles tell me about the MLB draft after the fact.  But it seems kinda insane that Clayton Beeter fell to the Dodgers at 66.  Everything I read says he had the best stuff in the draft, and an elite curveball - I had seen him mentioned with teams in the middle of the first round pre-draft. 

I know he has a tommy john under his belt already, and I guess teams were worried he might not be able to log starters innings.  But who cares? The way baseball is going, if his stuff is that good, no one goes 7 IP anymore anyway.  Such a huge part of the Dodgers success has been prioritizing quality, and getting their quanitity from the number of arms rather than how deep into games those arms can go.  Guys like Beeter are just going to continue to build that out.

He was a bit all over in mock drafts, I think not only because of the TJ, which you mentioned, but also because he had only thrown something like 40 innings in college.  Great stuff, but just not too much of a track record.  Which adds risk, which moves him down.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers completely benefit.  They seem to be one of those organizations that always scouts and drafts well.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: June 13, 2020, 03:26:54 PM »
But they can't afford to players, much less minor leaguers.

@AndrewMarchand: BREAKING: MLB and Turner Sports have agreed to a new billion dollar deal for the network to continue broadcasting an LCS and the playoffs, The Post has learned.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/13/mlb-lands-billion-dollar-deal-with-turner-sports-to-broadcast-playoffs/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1017 on: June 13, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
Blake Snell is so selfish.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1018 on: June 13, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »
Blake Snell is so selfish.

No, just incapable of keeping his foot out of his mouth.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: June 13, 2020, 03:59:53 PM »
No, just incapable of keeping his foot out of his mouth.

Maybe he just knows he’s helping to make incredibly wealthy people even more wealthy and he doesn’t like being penny pinched by them to basically put aside his entire life during a global pandemic just to entertain people.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: June 13, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »
Maybe he just knows he’s helping to make incredibly wealthy people even more wealthy and he doesn’t like being penny pinched by them to basically put aside his entire life during a global pandemic just to entertain people.

With all due respect , playing baseball to entertain people is his job. For which he is very well compensated.  I'm all for the players getting every penny they're contractually owed, but putting aside his entire life? Please. He's not a video gamer who sacrifices his spare time to entertain us on the baseball field.  It's his job. By choice. Nobody should feel sorry for him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1021 on: June 13, 2020, 05:53:22 PM »
With all due respect , playing baseball to entertain people is his job. For which he is very well compensated.  I'm all for the players getting every penny they're contractually owed, but putting aside his entire life? Please. He's not a video gamer who sacrifices his spare time to entertain us on the baseball field.  It's his job. By choice. Nobody should feel sorry for him.

Did you see the guidelines the MLB has? Heck even the NBA for that matter. They didn’t sign up to risk getting covid while literally locking themselves in a hotel room for 3 straight months and play in front of nobody because it’s not even safe for people to sit in stands, let alone sweat all over each other on a field/court of competition.

If I had a few million dollars in my bank account and my options were get paid less than what I signed up for to live as stated above or skip getting paid for a year I’d definitely at least consider the second option.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1022 on: June 13, 2020, 07:04:06 PM »
Did you see the guidelines the MLB has? Heck even the NBA for that matter. They didn’t sign up to risk getting covid while literally locking themselves in a hotel room for 3 straight months and play in front of nobody because it’s not even safe for people to sit in stands, let alone sweat all over each other on a field/court of competition.

If I had a few million dollars in my bank account and my options were get paid less than what I signed up for to live as stated above or skip getting paid for a year I’d definitely at least consider the second option.

I have seen the guidelines. Players will be much safer playing baseball than they will going to the grocery store or have family over for a birthday celebration.

Here's the thing ... nobody is making anyone play. If Blake Snell or any other player truly believes they're risking their lives by playing, they're free to sit out.
But that's not happening here. If they really believed this was a life-or-death risk, they'd all refuse to play. I would, too. But I can't think of a single player who's said that. Certainly not Snell. They're not worried about their health. They're worried about getting paid. And they're worried about setting a precedent that could lead to a cap.

I'm all for the players getting paid. I'm against either side lying about their motivations.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: June 13, 2020, 07:11:27 PM »
I have seen the guidelines. Players will be much safer playing baseball than they will going to the grocery store or have family over for a birthday celebration.

Here's the thing ... nobody is making anyone play. If Blake Snell or any other player truly believes they're risking their lives by playing, they're free to sit out.
But that's not happening here. If they really believed this was a life-or-death risk, they'd all refuse to play. I would, too. But I can't think of a single player who's said that. Certainly not Snell. They're not worried about their health. They're worried about getting paid. And they're worried about setting a precedent that could lead to a cap.

I'm all for the players getting paid. I'm against either side lying about their motivations.

That’s all he said. That he’ll sit out if he isn’t getting paid what he signed to play for. Which he has every right to do.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: June 13, 2020, 09:14:00 PM »
Top of the 5th, nobody on, nobody out. Line score:

Pakuni    5  6  0
Wades    0  0  2
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:15:41 PM by Lennys Tap »

feedback