collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280215 times)

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #925 on: May 17, 2020, 11:33:30 PM »
The MLB? lol. If a player is truly concerned about “the covid” they should forfeit their pay for season and just not play. I was told by my friend who know a groundkeeper in management that is an option.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #926 on: May 18, 2020, 12:15:38 AM »
Snell’s comments are even more understandable with the safety outline the MLB has. Take a paycut to essentially stay in your house or at the ballpark for 4 straight months to play a modified version of your sport? Thanks but no thanks. If I was a player and you pay me what I signed to I’ll hold up my end of the bargain but there’s no chance I’m taking a paycut for the garbage laid out by the MLB.

Some more of Snell's comments...  Just for reference.  It seems his opinion has changed a bit.

“I think the media kind of hypes up the coronavirus,” Snell said. "If they want to look out for our health, that’s cool.

“But I’m not too worried about it. If I get it, I get it. If I don’t, I don’t. Either way it was meant to be.”

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2020/03/11/rays-blake-snell-says-coronavirus-is-overhyped-if-i-get-it-i-get-it/

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #927 on: May 18, 2020, 04:47:10 AM »
Snell has a 5 year 50 million dollar contract. Meanwhile I have employees making 13 dollars an hour in direct service of covid patients. He's a bit out of touch

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #928 on: May 18, 2020, 07:21:25 AM »
The MLB? lol. If a player is truly concerned about “the covid” they should forfeit their pay for season and just not play. I was told by my friend who know a groundkeeper in management that is an option.

Is Snell suggesting that he should sit out the year AND get paid?  If so, that’s ridiculous.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #929 on: May 18, 2020, 09:04:11 AM »
I'm on the players' side regarding how they should get paid. Don't pay them for the games that aren't played, of course, but they should get every dime they're owed for the games that are played.
But public statements how "I gots to get paid" and "I'm putting my life at risk" are idiotic and drain away what public support you have as players.
Doctors, nurses, grocery store workers, meat plant workers, construction workers, etc., are putting their lives at risk. A 27-year-old athlete playing baseball in a highly controlled environment surrounded by top-level medical care is not putting his life at risk.

I see it very simple.

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association signed a contract. The contract calls for the owners to pay the players based on certain conditions. The players accepted the contract and agreed to be paid for the work they did.

If the owners don't like it, you can ask the players to reopen negotiations. But if the players say "no," you have a contract and you have to live by it.

Period, end of discussion.

If you don't like the contract, negotiate a new one next time the contract comes due. But honor your obligations in the meantime.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #930 on: May 19, 2020, 07:36:18 PM »
Snell refusin' work? Now da mofo is disqualified from collectin' unemployment plus $600/week. Watt an idiot, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #931 on: May 19, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »
Snell has a 5 year 50 million dollar contract. Meanwhile I have employees making 13 dollars an hour in direct service of covid patients. He's a bit out of touch

Ya think?

I generally support the players, don’t think they’re overpaid, hate it when the owners cry poor, etc. - but I have zero empathy/sympathy for Snell’s “problems” given the state of our world today.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #932 on: May 19, 2020, 10:54:33 PM »
Ya think?

I generally support the players, don’t think they’re overpaid, hate it when the owners cry poor, etc. - but I have zero empathy/sympathy for Snell’s “problems” given the state of our world today.

Read his comments, which a number of stars have come out and supported. He never claimed to have any “problems.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #933 on: May 20, 2020, 08:13:01 AM »
Read his comments, which a number of stars have come out and supported. He never claimed to have any “problems.”

I'm very glad that someone as down on their luck as Snell is has someone like you to support him in his fight against those evil billionaires! God, how can a man live without a 2nd vacation home?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #934 on: May 20, 2020, 08:17:42 AM »
I'm very glad that someone as down on their luck as Snell is has someone like you to support him in his fight against those evil billionaires! God, how can a man live without a 2nd vacation home?

Again, read his comments.  That’s not his point.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #935 on: May 20, 2020, 08:41:10 AM »

Sure it can be argued that baseball players make more money than they should.  But I don't understand why he should be criticized because he doesn't want to work for less money given the circumstances. 

And I agree with wades that it is odd that people are coming down on him for not wanting to play for less, instead of the owners who after years of escalating franchise values spurred a great deal by taxpayer subsidies for their stadiums, have gotten much more wealthy than the players.

And Snell owes nothing to the fans.  I've seen that line a lot and it just isn't true.  He's a guy doing his job.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #936 on: May 20, 2020, 11:49:00 AM »
More wisdom sprewin' from the mouths of pampered, spoiled, and entitled athletes. I get it. They have extraordinary athletic ability, BFD. In today's world of pain and sufferin', no one wants to listen to an athlete spout off on the fact he has to pay taxes on income, get full pay for half a schedule of work, and is putting his life on the line when going back to work. Oh, and btw, Blake Snell is a certifiable idiot, aina?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:47:17 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #937 on: May 20, 2020, 04:05:48 PM »
More wisdom sprewin' from the mouths of pampered, spoiled, and entitled athletes. I get it. They have extraordinary athletic ability, BFD. In today's world of pain and sufferin', no one wants to listen to an athlete spout off on the fact he has to pay taxes on income, get full pay for half a schedule of work, and is putting his life on the line when going back to work. Oh, and btw, David Snell is a certifiable idiot, aina?

I usually stick up for the athletes, but I have to agree with pretty much all of this, Doc.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #938 on: May 20, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »
More wisdom sprewin' from the mouths of pampered, spoiled, and entitled athletes. I get it. They have extraordinary athletic ability, BFD. In today's world of pain and sufferin', no one wants to listen to an athlete spout off on the fact he has to pay taxes on income, get full pay for half a schedule of work, and is putting his life on the line when going back to work. Oh, and btw, David Snell is a certifiable idiot, aina?

What athlete has demanded full pay for half a season?

Keithtisbarf

• Walk-On
« Reply #939 on: May 20, 2020, 09:47:23 PM »
What athlete has demanded full pay for half a season?

Snell?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #940 on: May 21, 2020, 04:23:26 AM »
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:46:50 AM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #941 on: May 21, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
So it starts with Boomer comparing baseball players to "essential workers."  No offense but that's a stupid comparison.  "Essential workers" have become the new "the troops."  We are going to praise them endlessly, hold them up as an impossible-to-meet standard to bash down others, but in the end we aren't going to pay or provide for them like we should because...well...that's expensive and hard.

Anyway, Snell can do what he wants.  It may be tone deaf, but if he doesn't want to play for what he would make, that's his right.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #942 on: May 21, 2020, 08:53:29 AM »
Blake Snell aka moron, hey?

Half price werk on da toofers till the plague passes, doc?

Yes, Snell comes off as tonedeaf.  But at the end of the day he's saying this - https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29201581/lee-westwood-cites-quarantine-issues-travel-us-pga-tour-events.

And yet no one is jumping out of their shoes to try to score easy PR points to feel better about themselves and dunk on Lee Westwood.  I've already seen Tom Glavine and Bryce Harper come out in general support of Snell's comments, and I'm sure there's more.  And using essential workers to slam Snell in service of MLB owners' profit position is manipulative and disrespectiful of essential workers and misguided. 

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #943 on: May 21, 2020, 09:03:05 AM »
Blake Snell aka moron, hey?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHJ_FPsrmxs

Boomer & Gio - That's my morning show listen.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #944 on: May 21, 2020, 09:57:17 AM »
Half price werk on da toofers till the plague passes, doc?

Yes, Snell comes off as tonedeaf.  But at the end of the day he's saying this - https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/29201581/lee-westwood-cites-quarantine-issues-travel-us-pga-tour-events.

“At the end of the day?” LOL.

I’ve read what Snell said about “the ‘rona” and “gettin’ his”.

Westwood’s remarks were well reasoned, mature and thoughtful. Snell’s were self centered and childish. Not the same at the end of any day.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #945 on: May 21, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »
“At the end of the day?” LOL.

I’ve read what Snell said about “the ‘rona” and “gettin’ his”.

Westwood’s remarks were well reasoned, mature and thoughtful. Snell’s were self centered and childish. Not the same at the end of any day.

They had the same essential meaning.  How is this statement not self-centered?

"Right now, I won't be playing them," Westwood said in the interview. "Not with having to leave here two weeks before, quarantine, then play the two tournaments, then come back here and quarantine again. It's six weeks for two tournaments, and to me, that's just not worth it.

"And it's not worth taking the risk if everybody thinks that those kind of precautions have got to be in place. I don't feel like golf's a priority if it's that severe.''

And IMO I am OK with both of them being self-centered if they want to be.  But just because someone uses language in a different manner doesn't mean they are meaning something different.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #946 on: May 21, 2020, 10:17:45 AM »

Agree to disagree.  I'm not going to change anyone's mind on this, but I feel pretty strongly this is more about people's position on who gets to say these things vs what was actually said. 

Snell and Westwood both said that given the health risks from covid, they won't participate in their sport for what they deem to be meager compensation vs their standard comp. 

Snell's comments are less articulate becuase he's 27 and was talking while playing video games. He's also angrier becaues his career earnings to date are $6M while being a cy young candidate, and he was to double those earnings with his 2020 salary alone due to his contract extension - a salary which the owners now want to reduce below the pro-ration for only playing part of the season.  If he sits this year out, he's putting his money where his mouth is more than just about anyone that's spoken out on this so far.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #947 on: May 21, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »

They had the same essential meaning.  How is this statement not self-centered?

"Right now, I won't be playing them," Westwood said in the interview. "Not with having to leave here two weeks before, quarantine, then play the two tournaments, then come back here and quarantine again. It's six weeks for two tournaments, and to me, that's just not worth it.

"And it's not worth taking the risk if everybody thinks that those kind of precautions have got to be in place. I don't feel like golf's a priority if it's that severe.''

And IMO I am OK with both of them being self-centered if they want to be.  But just because someone uses language in a different manner doesn't mean they are meaning something different.

Fluff

If Snell had to fly to England on his own dime, quarantine without playing (or being paid) for two weeks, play baseball for two weeks (and be paid only if he performs well) and then fly home on his own dime, quarantine and not play for two weeks (or be paid) - then I would agree that their circumstances were close to the same. I just don’t see it that way.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #948 on: May 21, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
Is being 27 an excuse for being inarticulate? Seems pretty old for that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #949 on: May 21, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
Is being 27 an excuse for being inarticulate? Seems pretty old for that.

I know plenty of people over 27 that are inarticulate.  Tying it to age does seem a bit silly.

feedback