[Today at 02:48:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280164 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #850 on: April 28, 2020, 05:02:10 PM »
This could be crazy fun.
MLB talking about starting in late June with league realigned into three divisions and an expanded playoffs. No fans in the stands to start.

The divisions would be:
EAST
New York Yankees and Mets, Boston Red Sox, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles, Philadelphia Phillies, Pittsburgh Pirates, Toronto Blue Jays, Tampa Bay Rays, Miami Marlins

WEST
Los Angeles Dodgers and Angels, San Francisco Giants, Oakland Athletics, San Diego Padres, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, Seattle Mariners

CENTRAL
Chicago Cubs and Chicago White Sox, Milwaukee Brewers, St. Louis Cardinals, Kansas City Royals, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Detroit Tigers

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2020/04/28/mlb-optimistic-about-starting-season-late-june/3039275001/

That would be fun. Kind of odd they switched the Pirates and Braves. The West is the AL West and NL West combined. The Central and East are those two divisions combined but with only the Pirates and Braves switched.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #851 on: April 28, 2020, 05:19:10 PM »
Would love the opportunity to drive to KC from Omaha to see the brewers if they opened to fans and the schedule worked out.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #852 on: April 28, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »
Would love the opportunity to drive to KC from Omaha to see the brewers if they opened to fans and the schedule worked out.

This was basically my first thought too, ha.  All these cool AL parks and cities that we don't normally get a chance to see almost makes the no fans thing worse. 

On that note, why do the funky divisions at all?  What does it change in a covid-environment vs just playing a short season with the schedule as-is, with a couple tweaks to be intra-division heavy?  Teams are still going to be flying almost everywhere, I would imagine.  All the same dates in the fan-less stadiums.  Are the travel costs really that much lower just bunching into three geographic divisions like this? If not, I don't see the point.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #853 on: April 29, 2020, 08:16:12 AM »
This was basically my first thought too, ha.  All these cool AL parks and cities that we don't normally get a chance to see almost makes the no fans thing worse. 

On that note, why do the funky divisions at all?  What does it change in a covid-environment vs just playing a short season with the schedule as-is, with a couple tweaks to be intra-division heavy?  Teams are still going to be flying almost everywhere, I would imagine.  All the same dates in the fan-less stadiums.  Are the travel costs really that much lower just bunching into three geographic divisions like this? If not, I don't see the point.

A couple of items.  First I think they want to geographically limit travel so that they can play more games without the need for as many off days.  I heard on ESPN this morning that they may allow for extra pitchers and 7 inning double headers to get the games in.

Also why move Pittsburgh out of its normal NL Central and substitute Atlanta?  And why not just keep the divisions but have the games be weighted more toward your usual division opponents?  Say 2/3 against your division and 1/3 intra league?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #854 on: April 29, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »
I think a lot of this is Rob "piece of metal" Manfred throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. I still doubt MLB has a season this year.

In previous football threads, I, along with many others, have eviscerated Roger Goodell for some of his tactics. But no one can ever say that Roger doesn't love the NFL. I don't know that Manfred loves Major League baseball. Whether it was the sham and lies of the cheating scandal or his total disrespect of the Championship trophy, Manfred has repeatedly shown disdain for the league.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #855 on: April 29, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
That would be fun. Kind of odd they switched the Pirates and Braves. The West is the AL West and NL West combined. The Central and East are those two divisions combined but with only the Pirates and Braves switched.

It seems weird, but Atlanta is actually quite a bit further west than Pittsburgh (and Cleveland, Cincinnati and Detroit, for that matter).

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #856 on: April 29, 2020, 04:49:18 PM »
I think a lot of this is Rob "piece of metal" Manfred throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. I still doubt MLB has a season this year.

In previous football threads, I, along with many others, have eviscerated Roger Goodell for some of his tactics. But no one can ever say that Roger doesn't love the NFL. I don't know that Manfred loves Major League baseball. Whether it was the sham and lies of the cheating scandal or his total disrespect of the Championship trophy, Manfred has repeatedly shown disdain for the league.

I doubt the NFL will have a season this fall as well especially with the expectation of a second wave of outbreaks. Even if they play in empty stadiums how do the players not potentially not spread the virus among themselves. Are they going to quarantine the players for 5 months? Test them weekly? If one player test positive is his team then prevented from playing? The whole thing just seems so untenable until there is a vaccine or there is no second wave and the virus just seems to run its course.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #857 on: April 29, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »
Oh good we’re backing to make broad assessments about stuff months in the future. We’re a full 4 months from the NFL season starting. 5 if you push it back a month and condense it. We’re talking about soccer starting around the world. Other countries are playing baseball and basketball in the next month. Assuming one of the biggest money makers in all of entertainment will not play, when they have over a trimester of time to figure out a way, is just Chicken Little paranoia. MLB is already behind the 8 ball and behind schedule, that’s a different story.

And yes, test them weekly. Why not?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #858 on: April 29, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »
Our governor in Florida was talking about baseball with fans in late June.

With fans.

Makes sense to me given what's transgressed in Florida.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #859 on: April 29, 2020, 06:42:37 PM »
Oh good we’re backing to make broad assessments about stuff months in the future. We’re a full 4 months from the NFL season starting. 5 if you push it back a month and condense it. We’re talking about soccer starting around the world. Other countries are playing baseball and basketball in the next month. Assuming one of the biggest money makers in all of entertainment will not play, when they have over a trimester of time to figure out a way, is just Chicken Little paranoia. MLB is already behind the 8 ball and behind schedule, that’s a different story.

And yes, test them weekly. Why not?

While I doubt there will be an MLB season, my uneducated guess on the NFL is probably 60 / 40 that there will be some kind of a season.

As far as broad assessments in the future? As a businessman don’t you do that all of the time. Obviously much more of an educated opinion.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #860 on: April 29, 2020, 07:11:41 PM »
Our governor in Florida was talking about baseball with fans in late June.

With fans.

Makes sense to me given what's transgressed in Florida.

It doesn't make sense at all, particularly since one of those teams is in the hard hit Dade County, and MLB would likely not allow it anyway.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 07:15:32 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #861 on: April 29, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »
While I doubt there will be an MLB season, my uneducated guess on the NFL is probably 60 / 40 that there will be some kind of a season.

As far as broad assessments in the future? As a businessman don’t you do that all of the time. Obviously much more of an educated opinion.

Not involving large tactical charges or deviations from plan. Especially in the face of uncommon or entirely abnormal circumstances.

For example, we didn’t present at a trade show in HK in September, due to the protests and general tension in the region. First time in close to 15 years we didn’t have a booth presence, much less attend as visitors. There is a competing show, attended by most of the same people, that also takes place in late Feb, similar history of of attendance. By early November things were still dicey, China wasn’t ordering, my controller and another member of management started clamoring for clawing back the deposit on our booth, cancelling hotel reservations and airline tickets for those that had them. I was entirely opposed as anything could happen in the next 1-2 months, much less 3+.

Same thing here. It’s silly to start ruling things out when there are myriad contingency plans that could occur, beyond a normal season.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #862 on: April 29, 2020, 08:15:11 PM »
Not involving large tactical charges or deviations from plan. Especially in the face of uncommon or entirely abnormal circumstances.

For example, we didn’t present at a trade show in HK in September, due to the protests and general tension in the region. First time in close to 15 years we didn’t have a booth presence, much less attend as visitors. There is a competing show, attended by most of the same people, that also takes place in late Feb, similar history of of attendance. By early November things were still dicey, China wasn’t ordering, my controller and another member of management started clamoring for clawing back the deposit on our booth, cancelling hotel reservations and airline tickets for those that had them. I was entirely opposed as anything could happen in the next 1-2 months, much less 3+.

Same thing here. It’s silly to start ruling things out when there are myriad contingency plans that could occur, beyond a normal season.

He doesn't work for the NFL.  He's just making a prediction.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #863 on: April 29, 2020, 08:25:19 PM »
The problem with saying the NFL is 4 months is that the window for making decisions is way smaller than that. A month of training camp and you're down to 3. Not a lot of time to make those calls and possibly change course with all the moving parts.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #864 on: April 29, 2020, 08:35:50 PM »

He doesn't work for the NFL.  He's just making a prediction.

I’m aware. And he’s certainly not alone in that prediction or mindset. I was just pushing back at people’s predictions and assumptions for things 4-6+ months from now using the current status quo. It’s become a pet peeve of mine, shrug

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #865 on: April 29, 2020, 11:17:57 PM »

I was just razzing you with the last paragraph- I should have used teal.

I didn’t mean to offend you or question your opinion. There are times we disagree, but I try to be as respectful as you have always been with me.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #866 on: April 30, 2020, 11:59:05 AM »
Rolling the 2020 induction into the 2021 ceremony.

Hall of Fame cancels induction ceremony
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Mike Stobe / TNS
Derek Jeter and the rest of this year’s Baseball Hall of Fame class will have to wait for their big moment at Cooperstown.

Derek Jeter, Larry Walker and the rest of this year’s Baseball Hall of Fame class will have to wait another year for their big moment at Cooperstown.

The Hall of Fame announced Wednesday that it has canceled the July 26 induction ceremony because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Instead, the class will be included at next year’s induction festivities — along with any additional new choices — on July 25, 2021.

A record crowd of over 70,000 had been expected this summer in an outdoor field at the small town in upstate New York to honor Jeter, the former New York Yankees captain who came within one vote of unanimous election by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America in January.

Jeter and Walker were to be inducted with catcher Ted Simmons and the late Marvin Miller, the pioneering players’ union head who negotiated free agency and transformed the sport.

“Being inducted into the Hall of Fame will be an incredible honor, but the health and safety of everyone involved are paramount,” Jeter said in a statement released by the Hall.

“I respect and support the decision to postpone this year’s enshrinement and am looking forward to joining current Hall of Famers, fans, staff and my family and friends in Cooperstown in 2021,“ he said.

This will be the first year without an induction ceremony since 1960.

“It was a very difficult decision, but with so many unknowns facing the world, the board felt strongly that this was the right decision,” said Hall member Joe Morgan, vice chairman of the shrine’s board.

Record attendance for an induction ceremony was set in 2007, exceeding 70,000 when Cal Ripken Jr. and the late Tony Gwynn were enshrined. Cooperstown is within easy driving distance of the New York metro area, and loads of Yankees fans had already made their plans to see Jeter on the Hall stage.

The Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum closed at the end of the day on March 15 due to the virus outbreak.

Jeter, now the CEO of the Miami Marlins, and Walker were elected by member of the BBWAA. Simmons and Miller were chosen in December by the Hall’s Modern Era Committee.

“I fully understand and agree with the board’s decision,” Walker said in a statement from the Hall. “It is most important to do the right thing for everybody involved, and that means not putting any participants in jeopardy.“ Simmons echoed that view.

“I commend the board for making this decision under these difficult circumstances, particularly in New York, a state severely hit by the pandemic. This was the wisest and smartest thing to do, given the existing environment and the danger that this pandemic presents,“ he said.

Also to be honored during next year’s Hall induction weekend: 2020 Ford C. Frick Award winner Hawk Harrelson, 2020 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Nick Cafardo and the winner of the 2020 Buck O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award, David Montgomery.

Jeter, a key to five World Series titles, was on 396 of 397 ballots in voting announced Jan. 21. The only player with a higher percentage was former Yankees teammate Mariano Rivera, who became the first unanimous pick in 2019. Walker, making his 10th ballot appearance, got 304 votes — six over the threshold.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #867 on: May 04, 2020, 11:55:16 PM »
Korean baseball opening night on ESPN.

Pick your team, rolling with the NC Dinos this season.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #868 on: May 05, 2020, 06:24:03 AM »
I’m aware. And he’s certainly not alone in that prediction or mindset. I was just pushing back at people’s predictions and assumptions for things 4-6+ months from now using the current status quo. It’s become a pet peeve of mine, shrug

Brother Wags:

This is a pet peeve of mine as well.

The real question that must now be asked is, "What's the objective standard for reopening society?"

Our nation must balance the medical risk with the economic, social and even political risk of continuing to deprive people of their liberties. If last weekend taught us anything, it is that people already are at the end of their ropes sheltering in place and the longer this goes, the more likely it becomes that folks openly defy their government.

Sunday, for example, Mayor Lightfoot in Chicago was chiding people for house parties. The Chicago Tribune ran a story about touring famous cemeteries, even as the Mayor closed the parks. Down here, in Brevard County (home of the space center and Jeannie from "I Dream of Jeannie"), the beaches were technically closed. But if you drove along Florida A1A, everyplace where there was a public beach access, there were dozens of cars parked on the side of the highway and people who ignored the barriers and headed to the beach.

If we wait to open the economy until we have a workable vaccine, it will be 12 to 18 months at least. Likewise, if we wait until the rise in cases falls to 0, see the 12 to 18 month prediction. What we don't know is the "ins and outs," or how many people at a point in time actually have the virus. That number is far more elusive. We need to decide on a reasonable, risk-balanced standard and then execute on it.

To assume we're not going to have baseball, football, or MU basketball for that matter next fall, has far greater implications on our society than simply no sports. It has a potential to bankrupt our economy and put tens of millions of more Americans out of work.

Here's to our leaders in Florida! They balanced medical risk with social, political and economic risk and began opening our state this week.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #869 on: May 05, 2020, 07:53:22 AM »
Brother Wags:

This is a pet peeve of mine as well.

The real question that must now be asked is, "What's the objective standard for reopening society?"

Our nation must balance the medical risk with the economic, social and even political risk of continuing to deprive people of their liberties. If last weekend taught us anything, it is that people already are at the end of their ropes sheltering in place and the longer this goes, the more likely it becomes that folks openly defy their government.

Sunday, for example, Mayor Lightfoot in Chicago was chiding people for house parties. The Chicago Tribune ran a story about touring famous cemeteries, even as the Mayor closed the parks. Down here, in Brevard County (home of the space center and Jeannie from "I Dream of Jeannie"), the beaches were technically closed. But if you drove along Florida A1A, everyplace where there was a public beach access, there were dozens of cars parked on the side of the highway and people who ignored the barriers and headed to the beach.

If we wait to open the economy until we have a workable vaccine, it will be 12 to 18 months at least. Likewise, if we wait until the rise in cases falls to 0, see the 12 to 18 month prediction. What we don't know is the "ins and outs," or how many people at a point in time actually have the virus. That number is far more elusive. We need to decide on a reasonable, risk-balanced standard and then execute on it.

To assume we're not going to have baseball, football, or MU basketball for that matter next fall, has far greater implications on our society than simply no sports. It has a potential to bankrupt our economy and put tens of millions of more Americans out of work.

Here's to our leaders in Florida! They balanced medical risk with social, political and economic risk and began opening our state this week.

No one is saying the bolded.  Those are strawman arguments right there.

Pretty much everyone agrees with you up until the final two paragraphs.  The economy is going to have to "open up," but that is nowhere near the magic bullet some people think its going to be.

But no sports isn't going to put "tens of millions of more Americans out of work."  That is a complete exaggeration.  Nowhere close to reality.  Even the broadest of economic impact studies, which I think are often a load of bullsh*t anyway, put the figure at about half a million.  And sports will occur, just without crowds or reduced crowds.

And your governor gets no credit until he releases all of the data that he is preventing counties from releasing.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #870 on: May 05, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »

No one is saying the bolded.  Those are strawman arguments right there.

Pretty much everyone agrees with you up until the final two paragraphs.  The economy is going to have to "open up," but that is nowhere near the magic bullet some people think its going to be.

But no sports isn't going to put "tens of millions of more Americans out of work."  That is a complete exaggeration.  Nowhere close to reality.  Even the broadest of economic impact studies, which I think are often a load of bullsh*t anyway, put the figure at about half a million.  And sports will occur, just without crowds or reduced crowds.

And your governor gets no credit until he releases all of the data that he is preventing counties from releasing.

Brother Fluff;

You and I would be good with a pitcher of beer, two glasses and a chance to debate the issues of the day. It would be fun!

Let me clarify for you, good brother. Baseball crowds are symptomatic of bigger issues in society. No crowds means the fear level in our country will be out of control or, alternatively, that abuse of emergency  powers will be an everyday occurrence. If we can't gather in any meaningful concentrations for anything -- be it sports, work, Mass, traffic jams on the Kennedy, concerts in the park or even First Fridays in Libertyville -- we're going to have much larger problems than sports.

And if the NFL doesn't play with audiences, the situation with large gatherings generally will be so severe I doubt we can avoid a Depression. The NFL is a symptom, not the cause.

We have a Constitution. No where in the Constitution does it say the federal government can abridge freedom of movement, freedom of assembly and even freedom of speech, because it's inconvenient. We accept a short-term emergency basically voluntarily because we believe in the value of extraordinary precautions.

Like it or not, there's a segment of society (and we see quite a bit of it here in Florida) that wants the country forcibly locked down until we have a vaccine or until the virus is all but gone. They're called senior citizens and many are scared and vulnerable right now. Here in Florida, our economy is restarting and there's a big segment of the senior citizen population that's madder than Gehenna.

We need clarity under which the existing problems will end and we need to be fully cognizant of what the risk will be of continued sheltering in place.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #871 on: May 06, 2020, 08:35:22 PM »
Brother Fluff;

You and I would be good with a pitcher of beer, two glasses and a chance to debate the issues of the day. It would be fun!

Let me clarify for you, good brother. Baseball crowds are symptomatic of bigger issues in society. No crowds means the fear level in our country will be out of control or, alternatively, that abuse of emergency  powers will be an everyday occurrence. If we can't gather in any meaningful concentrations for anything -- be it sports, work, Mass, traffic jams on the Kennedy, concerts in the park or even First Fridays in Libertyville -- we're going to have much larger problems than sports.

And if the NFL doesn't play with audiences, the situation with large gatherings generally will be so severe I doubt we can avoid a Depression. The NFL is a symptom, not the cause.

We have a Constitution. No where in the Constitution does it say the federal government can abridge freedom of movement, freedom of assembly and even freedom of speech, because it's inconvenient. We accept a short-term emergency basically voluntarily because we believe in the value of extraordinary precautions.

Like it or not, there's a segment of society (and we see quite a bit of it here in Florida) that wants the country forcibly locked down until we have a vaccine or until the virus is all but gone. They're called senior citizens and many are scared and vulnerable right now. Here in Florida, our economy is restarting and there's a big segment of the senior citizen population that's madder than Gehenna.

We need clarity under which the existing problems will end and we need to be fully cognizant of what the risk will be of continued sheltering in place.

I do t know what to say other than you’re naive. There will not be crowds in the stands for baseball this year. There might not be baseball at all. What if a player tests positive?  What if a significant number of players say “nah” and skip 2020 altogether?

Baseball isn’t responsible for entertaining us at their detriment.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #872 on: May 07, 2020, 10:46:55 PM »
Officially rooting for the NC Dinos.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #873 on: May 08, 2020, 12:00:49 AM »
Ive been partial to the SK Wyverns cause for an ESL country, Wyverns is an absolutely incredible mascot

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #874 on: May 08, 2020, 09:24:45 AM »

I do t know what to say other than you’re naive. There will not be crowds in the stands for baseball this year. There might not be baseball at all. What if a player tests positive?  What if a significant number of players say “nah” and skip 2020 altogether?

Baseball isn’t responsible for entertaining us at their detriment.

Brother Fluff:

Already, people are pushing back on the notion that they can't gather and they can't do the things they normally do as the weather turns pleasant. Whether it's baseball, dining out, going to Mass or whatever, folks are closing in on their limits.

If fear drives us to the point that there's no baseball, what that says about our society is openly scary. That's my point. Already, unemployment in Illinois is 14.7 percent, the highest it's been since the Depression. The largest private sector employer in the state is restaurants (which should tell you something about Illinois, but that's another story) and now the governor is saying the earliest they can open is June 26th.

I'd like baseball to come back and I'd like to be at a Brewers game this summer! I'd admit there's a possibility that regulatory fiat may prevent that. But I also would like to note that selective isolation of our most vulnerable populations, responsible actions among healthy people etc., probably would abate much of the problem. At some point, we have to stop behaving like this is the Andromeda Strain.

Ultimately, I'm not willing to concede my civil liberties will be limited for the next 18 months.

feedback