[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280140 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #700 on: February 18, 2020, 09:28:57 AM »
Hang out on Water St., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #701 on: February 18, 2020, 11:31:48 AM »
The World Series trophy is just "a piece of metal" ... wow, did Manfred ever spit the bit on the Astros' cheating.

He came out of it looking weak and clueless, lacking both oversight and vision.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #702 on: February 18, 2020, 12:25:34 PM »
The World Series trophy is just "a piece of metal" ... wow, did Manfred ever spit the bit on the Astros' cheating.

He came out of it looking weak and clueless, lacking both oversight and vision.

Between this and his refusal to say anything meaningful on the Marlins sale to Jeter's undefunded group, I'm really getting sick of this guy.  I understand that the commissioner serves at the pleasure of the owners, and his job should always be viewed through that lens. But his defensiveness is getting to the point where it seems he has pretty open disdain for the media, the fans, and the game itself.  Pretty great to have him drop gems like this and then propose large scale changes to the schedule and structure of the playoffs to draw the fans back in.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #703 on: February 18, 2020, 02:29:52 PM »
I guess I had forgotten Brock Holt was still available.  Nice pickup for MIL.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2020, 12:58:49 PM »
Ross came out and just said Bryant is going to lead off.   It's not such a shock on Rossy's end because they've refused to address the spot in free agency again.  It's more of a kudos to Bryant who is supposedly totally on board with it, because it certainly won't help his RBI numbers going into potential free agency and his one big payday in a couple of years.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #705 on: February 20, 2020, 01:15:30 PM »
Ross came out and just said Bryant is going to lead off.   It's not such a shock on Rossy's end because they've refused to address the spot in free agency again.  It's more of a kudos to Bryant who is supposedly totally on board with it, because it certainly won't help his RBI numbers going into potential free agency and his one big payday in a couple of years.

Do RBIs factor into contract negotiations anymore?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #706 on: February 20, 2020, 01:24:57 PM »
Do RBIs factor into contract negotiations anymore?

In some cases it may. In Bryant’s case, I would say no as he will have fewer opportunities to drive in runs. They would look at his stats with runners on base rather than a cumulative category like RBI.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #707 on: February 20, 2020, 01:37:13 PM »
Cmon...   No serious GM is going to care about a drop off in RBIs.  They will know why it happened if they ever worried about the stat in the first place.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #708 on: February 20, 2020, 09:17:10 PM »
Everything means something in these negotiations. Guys who drive in runs make more than those who score them.  He’s also going to have a different approach at the plate, which will likely affect his power numbers.  It’s not a huge thing, but I’m sure Boras likes to have all the firepower he can get when the time comes.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #709 on: February 20, 2020, 09:31:28 PM »
Everything means something in these negotiations. Guys who drive in runs make more than those who score them. 

That’s how it used to be. Of course it used to be that a Nellie Fox was the ideal second hitter. Now most teams put their best hitter in the second slot - or the first. Will Carlos Santana or Jose Ramirez make more money than Lindor?Was JD Martinez making more than Betts? How about Springer and Bregman at the top of Houston’s order? Acuña leading off for Atlanta? RBIs are an “old” stat- don’t mean much anymore.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #710 on: February 21, 2020, 08:45:28 AM »
That’s how it used to be. Of course it used to be that a Nellie Fox was the ideal second hitter. Now most teams put their best hitter in the second slot - or the first. Will Carlos Santana or Jose Ramirez make more money than Lindor?Was JD Martinez making more than Betts? How about Springer and Bregman at the top of Houston’s order? Acuña leading off for Atlanta? RBIs are an “old” stat- don’t mean much anymore.

Pretty sure Nellie Fox is would still be an ideal 2 hitter.  Or 8 hitter.  Or lead off hitter.  The guy was a great hitter.  From 1949- 1960 he averaged .300-.360-.378.  Sure not a lot of pop, but still a pretty ideal guy to have hitting at the top of an order.  And the power numbers between then and now are hardly comparable. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:49:23 AM by buckchuckler »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #711 on: February 21, 2020, 08:49:47 AM »
Everything means something in these negotiations. Guys who drive in runs make more than those who score them.

Correlation is not causation.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #712 on: February 21, 2020, 08:55:54 AM »
Fun Nellie Fox Fact!

Tony Gwynn's strike out rate, of 4.2% was more than double that of Nellie Fox.  2 out of the last 4 years, there have been players that struck out more in that season than Fox did in his entire career (2367 games).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #713 on: February 21, 2020, 03:35:49 PM »
Pretty sure Nellie Fox is would still be an ideal 2 hitter.  Or 8 hitter.  Or lead off hitter.  The guy was a great hitter.  From 1949- 1960 he averaged .300-.360-.378.  Sure not a lot of pop, but still a pretty ideal guy to have hitting at the top of an order.  And the power numbers between then and now are hardly comparable.

Fox was one of my favorites growing up (Minnie Minoso was my absolute favorite). Not putting him down, but “didn’t have a lot of pop”? C’mon - 35 lifetime HRs, career .363 slugging %, etc - so almost no pop. He “used to be” the ideal #2 hitter. Could take strikes and still make contact deep in the count (helping Aparicio steal bases), great bunter (for hits or sacrifices), etc. Now, nobody bunts or cares about strikeouts and most teams put their best hitter in the 2 hole.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #714 on: February 21, 2020, 04:06:47 PM »
Fox was one of my favorites growing up (Minnie Minoso was my absolute favorite). Not putting him down, but “didn’t have a lot of pop”? C’mon - 35 lifetime HRs, career .363 slugging %, etc - so almost no pop. He “used to be” the ideal #2 hitter. Could take strikes and still make contact deep in the count (helping Aparicio steal bases), great bunter (for hits or sacrifices), etc. Now, nobody bunts or cares about strikeouts and most teams put their best hitter in the 2 hole.
Don't disagree but sort of moot re the 59 Sox. Who was a better hitter than Fox? (59  champs) Al Smith? Jim Landis? Earl Torgeson? Jim McAnany? Sherm Lollar?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #715 on: February 21, 2020, 04:48:11 PM »
Don't disagree but sort of moot re the 59 Sox. Who was a better hitter than Fox? (59  champs) Al Smith? Jim Landis? Earl Torgeson? Jim McAnany? Sherm Lollar?

The “Go Go Sox” of 1959 didn’t have much in the way of hitting. Aparicio stole bases, Fox hit singles, Smith and Lollar provided occasional power. (Minoso was in Cleveland that year but returned the following year) They picked up Ted Klusewski (sp?) late and he hit some bombs. Mostly it was pitching and defense up the middle. Bob Shaw was 18-6 that year and I think Early Wynn won 22 or 23. Billy Pierce was past his prime but decent and Dick Donovan rounded out an excellent rotation. Gerry Staley and Turk Lown anchored a solid bullpen. They won a ton of low scoring one run games.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #716 on: February 21, 2020, 09:07:04 PM »
Fox was one of my favorites growing up (Minnie Minoso was my absolute favorite). Not putting him down, but %u201Cdidn%u2019t have a lot of pop%u201D? C%u2019mon - 35 lifetime HRs, career .363 slugging %, etc - so almost no pop. He %u201Cused to be%u201D the ideal #2 hitter. Could take strikes and still make contact deep in the count (helping Aparicio steal bases), great bunter (for hits or sacrifices), etc. Now, nobody bunts or cares about strikeouts and most teams put their best hitter in the 2 hole.

Obviously lineup construction has changed, but I can't imagine any team would hesitate to put a .350 (Fox's career number was .348) OBP guy hitting 2nd.  A guy that I think of as a similar type is Whit Merrifield.  A .300-.350 type hitter.  Even in today's game, pretty ideal for a 2 hitter, though he typically hits leadoff I think.  And yeah he hits more homeruns, but everyone does (and heck,with the lower mound and last year's baseball, Nellie may have hit 35 bombs.   ;))

Maybe a better question is, what team is going to hit a .350 OBP guy toward the bottom of the lineup?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 09:10:12 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #717 on: February 21, 2020, 09:09:37 PM »

Correlation is not causation.

Josh Hader lost his arbitration case because of his saves number.  HRs and RBIs were strikes against Realmuto.  Those numbers still matter for compensation, at least in arbitration.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #718 on: February 22, 2020, 01:31:14 AM »
The “Go Go Sox” of 1959 didn’t have much in the way of hitting. Aparicio stole bases, Fox hit singles, Smith and Lollar provided occasional power. (Minoso was in Cleveland that year but returned the following year) They picked up Ted Klusewski (sp?) late and he hit some bombs. Mostly it was pitching and defense up the middle. Bob Shaw was 18-6 that year and I think Early Wynn won 22 or 23. Billy Pierce was past his prime but decent and Dick Donovan rounded out an excellent rotation. Gerry Staley and Turk Lown anchored a solid bullpen. They won a ton of low scoring one run games.

Don't forget Buba Phillips and jim Rivera. And John "Honey" Romano.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #719 on: February 22, 2020, 05:19:09 AM »
Josh Hader lost his arbitration case because of his saves number.  HRs and RBIs were strikes against Realmuto.  Those numbers still matter for compensation, at least in arbitration.

I thought Bryant was a UFA next year.  Not that he had one arb year left.  You are correct that these stats matter in these hearings because everyone maniuplates whatever data they can in these situations.  I was thinking more in terms of when a player hits the open market.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #720 on: February 22, 2020, 06:43:45 AM »
Don't forget Buba Phillips and jim Rivera. And John "Honey" Romano.

Or Billy Goodman, who platooned with Bubba at 3rd.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #721 on: February 24, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
Sox and Moncada are hammering out a big extension, at least six years, with player and team options to push it out further. Will buy out his arb years, and by his late 20's pay him $20 mil a year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #722 on: February 28, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
Probably a long shot to find anyone here, but....

Starting a new $350 MLB Keeper League on Yahoo.  This will be the inaugural season.  12 team H2H 7x7 stat categories.  100% payout (payouts below).  I currently have 11 managers, but only about half of those are paid so plenty of spots left.  Looking to try to fill this league within the next couple days, so if you have any interest, shoot me a PM and I will get you more info or whatever else you need. 

Keepers will be pretty straight forward - get to keep 4 players.  All players drafted in top 3 rounds not allowed as keepers.  You get the keep the player the following season in the round in which you drafted them in current season (ie: draft Vlad Guerrero Jr in 5th round this spring, you get to keep him in 5th round next year, etc.)

Payouts as follows:
1st Place Regular Season: $1000
2nd Place Regular Season:$600
3rd Place Regular Season: $350
1st place Playoffs: $1,500
2nd Place Playoffs: $750

Draft is Tuesday March 24th at 8pm CT. 

Thanks!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #723 on: March 02, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Probably a long shot to find anyone here, but....

Starting a new $350 MLB Keeper League on Yahoo.  This will be the inaugural season.  12 team H2H 7x7 stat categories.  100% payout (payouts below).  I currently have 11 managers, but only about half of those are paid so plenty of spots left.  Looking to try to fill this league within the next couple days, so if you have any interest, shoot me a PM and I will get you more info or whatever else you need. 

Keepers will be pretty straight forward - get to keep 4 players.  All players drafted in top 3 rounds not allowed as keepers.  You get the keep the player the following season in the round in which you drafted them in current season (ie: draft Vlad Guerrero Jr in 5th round this spring, you get to keep him in 5th round next year, etc.)

Payouts as follows:
1st Place Regular Season: $1000
2nd Place Regular Season:$600
3rd Place Regular Season: $350
1st place Playoffs: $1,500
2nd Place Playoffs: $750

Draft is Tuesday March 24th at 8pm CT. 

Thanks!

Still got a couple spots in this guy. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #724 on: March 02, 2020, 01:52:29 PM »
Auction or snake draft?

feedback