[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280076 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #500 on: January 18, 2020, 09:33:31 AM »
He was forced to backtrack, MLB had to come out and say it was BS, Yahoo picked it up on their front page before the backtrack and others believe this crap.....I hope he sues his ass.  Let a judge decide if it has merit.  It was a very serious charge and deserves to be treated as such.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #501 on: January 18, 2020, 09:44:20 AM »
No damages caused.  No merit to the suit.

Glad you're on the side of frivolous lawsuits now. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #502 on: January 18, 2020, 09:45:24 AM »
Verlander is one of my favorite players ever, but he is going to get some tricky questions this year asking him to reconcile his public statements about different kinds of cheating and what went on with Astro's.
He'll just ban any reporter who asks those "tricky questions."

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #503 on: January 18, 2020, 11:34:42 AM »
He was forced to backtrack, MLB had to come out and say it was BS, Yahoo picked it up on their front page before the backtrack and others believe this crap.....I hope he sues his ass.  Let a judge decide if it has merit.  It was a very serious charge and deserves to be treated as such.
only if Trout is squeaky clean. Discovery is a B%tch.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #504 on: January 18, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »

All the reasons above are why Trout would have little success with a defamation suit. Add to it the fact he's a public figure, and he has  virtually no chance of winning.
But if he wants to try and make a bunch of rich lawyers richer, he's free to do so.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #505 on: January 18, 2020, 01:32:15 PM »
only if Trout is squeaky clean. Discovery is a B%tch.

Yup...go for it...it’s this kind of crap right here why you do it to shut aholes up
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #506 on: January 18, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »
All the reasons above are why Trout would have little success with a defamation suit. Add to it the fact he's a public figure, and he has  virtually no chance of winning.
But if he wants to try and make a bunch of rich lawyers richer, he's free to do so.

Which is exactly why so many people want these laws changed because people go off with claims and rarely get punished for it.  REFORM

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #507 on: January 18, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
Which is exactly why so many people want these laws changed because people go off with claims and rarely get punished for it.  REFORM

#fakenews

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #509 on: January 18, 2020, 04:29:56 PM »

Cheeks wants to make it easier to sue in civil courts - when it benefits rich, white, men.

Shocking!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #510 on: January 18, 2020, 04:30:19 PM »

"So many people" want a lot of laws changed.

And?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #511 on: January 18, 2020, 05:06:26 PM »
Yup...go for it...it’s this kind of crap right here why you do it to shut aholes up

You know Trout is clean? I’d like to think he is, but I’m past the point in believing anyone is clean beyond a shadow of a doubt. Even my favorite athletes.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #512 on: January 18, 2020, 05:39:08 PM »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-needs-stronger-laws-against-defamation-11569881386

Nope

1. It's #fakenews because you have no idea how defamation law works.
2. It's #fakenews because there aren't "so many" people that want to change federal law because someone misstated something about Mike Trout
3. It's #fakenews because a letter to the editor published by the WSJ is hardly evidence of "So many" people wanting something. Truth is, I'm aware of no pending federal legislation that would change libel/defamation law ... despite "so many" people demanding it.
(side note: fun how quickly Cheeks is willing to cite the media when it suits him)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #513 on: January 19, 2020, 11:46:56 PM »
1. It's #fakenews because you have no idea how defamation law works.
2. It's #fakenews because there aren't "so many" people that want to change federal law because someone misstated something about Mike Trout
3. It's #fakenews because a letter to the editor published by the WSJ is hardly evidence of "So many" people wanting something. Truth is, I'm aware of no pending federal legislation that would change libel/defamation law ... despite "so many" people demanding it.
(side note: fun how quickly Cheeks is willing to cite the media when it suits him)

It was one example, do you really think it is the only example?  Lol. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #514 on: January 20, 2020, 09:51:23 AM »
It was one example, do you really think it is the only example?  Lol.

Move to England. Enjoy their loose defamation laws for a bit.

Why my countrymen are so eager to destroy the 1st amendment to defend people more powerful than they will ever be, I will never understand.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #515 on: January 20, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #516 on: January 20, 2020, 10:48:52 AM »
Carlos Beltran's "niece" appears to be a internet troll Incarcerated Bob.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/did-this-notorious-troll-dupe-mlb-fans-and-players-into-believing-conspiracies-about-astros-sign-stealing?ref=home

ICB is one of the biggest douchebags in that section of the world.  Between his NYC sports nonsense and his gambling stuff, he's the absolute worst.  Epitome of an internet tough guy posturing from a crapty apartment in the outer boroughs

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #517 on: January 20, 2020, 10:50:50 AM »
Carlos Beltran's "niece" appears to be a internet troll Incarcerated Bob.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/did-this-notorious-troll-dupe-mlb-fans-and-players-into-believing-conspiracies-about-astros-sign-stealing?ref=home

I am going to grab that Scoop moniker before Cheeks does.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #518 on: January 20, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »

Why my countrymen are so eager to destroy the 1st amendment to defend people more powerful than they will ever be, I will never understand.

Two words.

Cult. Ignorance.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #519 on: January 20, 2020, 08:52:01 PM »

I want to be like Europe in so many ways.....

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #520 on: January 20, 2020, 10:31:54 PM »
I want to be like Europe in so many ways.....

In actual baseball stuff... the Nolan Arenado/ Rockies relationship seems to be at a breaking point.  This could get interesting.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #521 on: January 20, 2020, 10:38:30 PM »
In actual baseball stuff... the Nolan Arenado/ Rockies relationship seems to be at a breaking point.  This could get interesting.

Hmmmmm. Who could use a 3B and barely spent in FA this year?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #522 on: January 21, 2020, 12:13:38 AM »
Hmmmmm. Who could use a 3B and barely spent in FA this year?

I guess never say never,  but doesn't feel remotely likely. He's worth it, but that opt out looms large.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #523 on: January 21, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »
I guess never say never,  but doesn't feel remotely likely. He's worth it, but that opt out looms large.

I agree on the opt out. 

I'm typically as pro-player a guy as you will find, but this is one of the rare cases where I'm on the team's side.  I don't think players appreciate how much these huge deals with opt-outs hamstring their teams. Generally, I think all teams should spend more, so I get Arenado's frustration generally, but the facts here make him look petulant.  The Rockies had the 11th highest payroll in baseball last year, so its not like they refuse to spend.  And most important, he signed a deal literally one year ago for $260M with a player opt out 3 years later (now 2 - end of 2021).

If you're the Jeff Bridich, what the hell are you supposed to do with that? You're looking at free agents, and you're not sure if your best player will be around in two years, or if the 4th largest AAV in baseball will be disappearing off your books. It really undermines your ability to sign FAs to long term deals, or to plan effectively using your farm system.  Arenado leaving is a franchise altering thing, and he's sort of doomed his team to picking through 1 and 2 year FA contracts.  To turn around and complain about that is lame.  Good on him if that's the deal he wants, I don't begrudge him that at all, but its completely foreseeable that contract would negatively impact his team's ability to plan around him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #524 on: January 21, 2020, 05:21:48 PM »
Derek Jeter and Larry Walker are your 2020 Hall of Fame inductees.

feedback