[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280079 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #400 on: January 13, 2020, 09:06:47 PM »
Then Stern and the Brewers?

I'll bet Nori Aoki was the culprit behind all of it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #402 on: January 13, 2020, 09:21:33 PM »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #403 on: January 13, 2020, 09:22:52 PM »
Wow. Thanks. Must have missed that.

Tried to find an article that talked about that but so far only saw it posted on a Brewers message board. Mentioned last year the Pirates and Cubs had complaints but was nothing. Not sure if that’s true at all, but thought I’d seen that a few places.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #404 on: January 13, 2020, 09:25:46 PM »
I posted a few months ago.  Remember when Yellich took to Twitter to go after Yu Darvish?

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2019/11/12/multiple-players-identify-brewers-as-among-the-most-egregious-electronic-sign-stealers/

Yeah when Yu insinuated Yeli was stealing signs from the Brewers bullpen by looking out at...the Cubs bullpen. Caught. No wonder Yeli was so damn good. His opponent is giving him their signs.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #405 on: January 13, 2020, 09:30:00 PM »
There was rumored to be up to 8 teams under MLB investigation including the Astros, Red Sox, Orioles, Brewers with ex-Astros employees. I think MLB leaves it with the Astros and Red Sox but let's see.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2020/01/13/houston-astros-cheating-punishment

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #406 on: January 13, 2020, 09:59:26 PM »
There was rumored to be up to 8 teams under MLB investigation including the Astros, Red Sox, Orioles, Brewers with ex-Astros employees. I think MLB leaves it with the Astros and Red Sox but let's see.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/mlb/2020/01/13/houston-astros-cheating-punishment

Yeah, one guy mentioned but to say "thin" is being generous.  Just because someone used to work for the Astros and then with the Brewers isn't enough.

http://sportsmockery.com/2019/11/brewers-also-accused-of-cheating-like-the-astros/
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #407 on: January 13, 2020, 11:17:18 PM »
Maybe after all of this, the silver lining is we can drop the false pretenses and let Pete Rose into the HOF

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #408 on: January 14, 2020, 06:28:35 AM »
Laughter from this Houston fan (my tear ducts shut down long ago)....as any Houston fan knows this is simply typical for us.

Consider in the last 24 hours:

1) the Texans choked off a 24-0 deficit to lose by 20...we draw on our memory of the Oilers in 1993 choking a 35-3 Bills lead ...but this one seemed worse. We liked Bum Phillips even in those Steeler Luv Ya Blue losses..we cant stand Bill Obrien. He is an immovable mud pit of mediocrity.

2) lifelong Astros fans ( since 1960) finally got their World Series win in 2017, and a statistically historical team falls just short in 2019....But wait ...shucks...from today on we are forever tainted cheaters, rightly so. We should have known ...the day after the WS parade in 2017, QB Deshaun Watson is out for the year ...ACL blowout in a thursday practice. A reminder from the gods...you are a Houston sports fan...no good goes unpunished.

3) every time UH football got good our coaches move on (Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, Tom Herman) With pride we lure one with a Power 5 pedigree Dana Holverson only to watch him revert us to 4-8 with just one home win. Today our QB announced that... after shutting himself down mid season...he is going elsewhere.

Oh well just another typical 24 hour period in Houston sports fandom. 40 years for me now. Except for a window of Rockets in early 90s....this is our typical....So, why do folks keep moving here? If they like sports they deserve the warning.

Houston is a brutal town to be a sports fan.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:51:15 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #409 on: January 14, 2020, 07:31:19 AM »
Except for a window of Rockets in early 90s....

Houston is a brutal town to be a sports fan.

Good thing Jordan took a couple years off.   ;)

/Not a Bulls fan
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2020, 09:06:56 AM »
Maybe after all of this, the silver lining is we can drop the false pretenses and let Pete Rose into the HOF

Absolutely not

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #411 on: January 14, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »
Houston cheats in '17; Cora and the Red Sox cheat in '18 (probably).
Recent World Series Winners:
2015: Royals
2016: Cubs
2017: Cubs again
2018: Still Cubs
2019: Nats

Once we find out Strasburg is part robot, the Cubs will be looking to defend their 5th title in a row.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #412 on: January 14, 2020, 10:30:15 AM »
Houston cheats in '17; Cora and the Red Sox cheat in '18 (probably).
Recent World Series Winners:
2015: Royals
2016: Cubs
2017: Cubs again
2018: Still Cubs
2019: Nats

Once we find out Strasburg is part robot, the Cubs will be looking to defend their 5th title in a row.

Yeah but when you apply the domestic abuse penalty it's all the Royals.

The Dodgers, the biggest victims of the sign stealing also had a deal in place for Chapman before the Yankees traded for him, but killed the deal because of his situation.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 10:31:51 AM by buckchuckler »

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #413 on: January 14, 2020, 10:45:18 AM »
Yeah but when you apply the domestic abuse penalty it's all the Royals.

The Dodgers, the biggest victims of the sign stealing also had a deal in place for Chapman before the Yankees traded for him, but killed the deal because of his situation.
I guess LAD didn't get the memo on Julio Urias, (or Puig, for that matter).

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #414 on: January 14, 2020, 11:36:36 AM »
Penalties designed to come off as harsh, allow the Astros to make a clean break, and hope everyone forgets. Should have been much more.

Also, I understand the CBA and upcoming labor issues making the player immunity a reasonable idea, but I'd like to see them officially named and shamed by MLB.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #415 on: January 14, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »
Penalties designed to come off as harsh, allow the Astros to make a clean break, and hope everyone forgets. Should have been much more.

Also, I understand the CBA and upcoming labor issues making the player immunity a reasonable idea, but I'd like to see them officially named and shamed by MLB.

where would the astros have drafted within 202 & 2021 draft anyway?

the salaries lost via firing of luhnow and hinch more than make up for the $5 mil fine

owner crane was last seen grinning like a cheshire cat while slapping his own hand...bad jimmy...bad jimmy
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #416 on: January 14, 2020, 12:45:51 PM »
where would the astros have drafted within 202 & 2021 draft anyway?

the salaries lost via firing of luhnow and hinch more than make up for the $5 mil fine

They still have to hire people to take their place though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #417 on: January 14, 2020, 01:42:40 PM »

I can name them for you.  The Astros.  All of them.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #418 on: January 14, 2020, 05:28:00 PM »

$5 mil is couch change for these owners - but it is the max allowed. They should have taken away draft picks for 5 years at least. They made so much money by cheating that they can afford to buy anyone they need.

Alex Cora should be banned for life. He was the instigator for rampant cheating for 2 teams now.

I realize it would be a battle to the death with the players union, but I can't think of any reason players shouldn't get long suspensions. MLB is sending out the message that some cheating is OK and some is not.

If a star is caught with steroids in his blood, he gets 80 games, which could cost him $10-415 mil. Why should they get a pass on this type of cheating?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #419 on: January 14, 2020, 06:49:29 PM »
Quite a stretch for the Astros, what with that (now former) assistant GM being a dirtball misogynist and the organization initially lying about it ... to go with the team's epic choke in the World Series ... and now this.

Well done!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #420 on: January 14, 2020, 07:08:28 PM »
$5 mil is couch change for these owners - but it is the max allowed. They should have taken away draft picks for 5 years at least. They made so much money by cheating that they can afford to buy anyone they need.

Alex Cora should be banned for life. He was the instigator for rampant cheating for 2 teams now.

I realize it would be a battle to the death with the players union, but I can't think of any reason players shouldn't get long suspensions. MLB is sending out the message that some cheating is OK and some is not.

If a star is caught with steroids in his blood, he gets 80 games, which could cost him $10-415 mil. Why should they get a pass on this type of cheating?

Maybe institute a show-cause penalty as the NCAA has for coaches?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #421 on: January 14, 2020, 07:10:37 PM »
Quite a stretch for the Astros, what with that (now former) assistant GM being a dirtball misogynist and the organization initially lying about it ... to go with the team's epic choke in the World Series ... and now this.

Well done!

Agree.

I do feel bad for Houwarrior. Seems like a pretty decent guy but it's been a rough week to be a fan of Houston teams.

I had posted earlier how this is the golden age for Wisconsin sports fan (don't let me down, Wojo), but I can empathize as we went through most of the 70's and 80's here (among other bad stretches).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #422 on: January 14, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »
Alex Cora and the Red Sox "mutually agree to part ways."

Conscious uncoupling?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #423 on: January 14, 2020, 07:38:57 PM »
Alex Cora and the Red Sox "mutually agree to part ways."

Conscious uncoupling?

CYA by Boston  ;D

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #424 on: January 14, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »
Interesting, though, is that the guy who got off the easiest was the richest guy. That almost never happens ;D ;D ;D ;D

Manfred has reacted to this crisis just as poorly as Selig did to steroids. Ignore, ignore; then when you can't ignore any more, act like you were the guy who cleaned things up. Threaten the other owners that if they complain about the lenient penalty, they will get a worse one. Selig redux!