[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280274 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #250 on: December 13, 2019, 12:45:25 AM »
I simply cited facts available to everybody.

Sad to hear that your ballclub is singularly snakebitten. Maybe Moreno needs to invest in 4-leaf clovers and rabbit's feet as well as overpriced hitters.

Angels have won as many postseason games in the last 10 years as Cam has won football games in the last 13 months, that much we can agree on.

I also cited facts available to everyone, I just went deeper than you did.  Your facts are correct...so were mine.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:47:11 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2019, 09:49:53 AM »
Ther e are only two players I can think of that most Angels fans get on Arte for...Hamilton and Wells.  Pujols was a gamble to try and win it all in the first few years...they had the best record in baseball and ran into the Royals who swept every team in the AL until losing in 7 in the WS.  Albert is a model citizen, great clubhouse leader, community guy, etc. 

Pujols has been worth 13.7 WAR in 8 years with the Angels. After 10 (given his trajectory) he will end up well south of 15. Pretty sure he was north of 15 in 2 good years in St Louis. Given his production and price (10/240 million) he was a horrible signing. The rest is BS - model citizens and good clubhouse guys aren't worth much if they can't run hit or field much. Without his albatross guaranteed contract he would have been non tendered years ago.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
Logos for the Reverse of Team Names

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »
Brewers sign Brett Anderson - 1 yr, $5M.  Makes me curious whether Stearns is also interested in Keuchel, given their relative similarities, or if Anderson just represented a good value opportunity.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2019, 03:25:30 PM »
Logos for the Reverse of Team Names

Irwin’s is absolutely savage

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #255 on: December 13, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
Brewers sign Brett Anderson - 1 yr, $5M.  Makes me curious whether Stearns is also interested in Keuchel, given their relative similarities, or if Anderson just represented a good value opportunity.

Any pitcher can turn out to be a stud, but IMHO this does not look like a "win while he have Yelich" rotation:

1) Woodruff
2) Lauer
3) Houser
4) Anderson
5) Lindblom

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #256 on: December 13, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
Pujols has been worth 13.7 WAR in 8 years with the Angels. After 10 (given his trajectory) he will end up well south of 15. Pretty sure he was north of 15 in 2 good years in St Louis. Given his production and price (10/240 million) he was a horrible signing. The rest is BS - model citizens and good clubhouse guys aren't worth much if they can't run hit or field much. Without his albatross guaranteed contract he would have been non tendered years ago.

Except of course the only way to get him was to offer him a long term contract of many years which everyone knew would be beyond his productivity.  They went for whole thing early on hoping the first couple of years they could get it done.  No other choice, if you wanted him....you had to buy the down years.  In the early part of his contract, they had the best record in all of baseball, but it didn't translate into playoff success.  My point on the other stuff is that despite his production (or downward trajectory) he is admired for who he is.  It could be a lot worse if he was a jerk, didn't do great things in the community, etc.  He's a first-ballot HOFer and that buys some credibility with some people.  No one is denying when he comes off the books it opens up more room for the club, thankfully he isn't a prima donna and remains a solid clubhouse and citizen. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #257 on: December 13, 2019, 07:34:23 PM »
Any pitcher can turn out to be a stud, but IMHO this does not look like a "win while he have Yelich" rotation:

1) Woodruff
2) Lauer
3) Houser
4) Anderson
5) Lindblom

I’d be very surprised and disappointed if this is the rotation. With the payroll flexibility, I’m still thinking we’ve got a chance at a decent pitcher or taking on a contract in trade.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #258 on: December 15, 2019, 02:19:34 PM »
Corey Kluber to the Rangers for Delino DeShields and a minor league pitcher.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #259 on: December 15, 2019, 02:38:34 PM »
I’d be very surprised and disappointed if this is the rotation. With the payroll flexibility, I’m still thinking we’ve got a chance at a decent pitcher or taking on a contract in trade.

With rumors of them shopping Lindor, the Tribe appears to be in fire sale mode ... which would make it all the more tragic if the Sox don't do more this offseason to put themselves in contention. They should be in the wild card race simply by virtue of 57 games Cleveland, Detroit and KC.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #260 on: December 15, 2019, 02:50:13 PM »
Corey Kluber to the Rangers for Delino DeShields and a minor league pitcher.

Shocked that Cleveland got almost nothing back as Kluber was under contract for two years.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #261 on: December 15, 2019, 02:51:29 PM »
With rumors of them shopping Lindor, the Tribe appears to be in fire sale mode ... which would make it all the more tragic if the Sox don't do more this offseason to put themselves in contention. They should be in the wild card race simply by virtue of 57 games Cleveland, Detroit and KC.

Agreed

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #262 on: December 15, 2019, 03:55:41 PM »
Bumgarner to Arizona.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #263 on: December 15, 2019, 04:14:40 PM »
Bumgarner to Arizona.

5-85 with 15 deferred.  Meanwhile Rick Hahn is listening to the Chipmunks Christmas album in repeat.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #264 on: December 15, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »
5-85 with 15 deferred.  Meanwhile Rick Hahn is listening to the Chipmunks Christmas album in repeat.

The Sox are trying super hard.
(Source: Rick Hahn)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #265 on: December 15, 2019, 07:53:46 PM »
The Sox are trying super hard.
(Source: Rick Hahn)

Heard GarPax were called in to consult.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #266 on: December 15, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
Heard GarPax were called in to consult.

Ooooh boy. Hope Duke and UNC have strong seniors in the upcoming draft.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »

Ooooh boy. Hope Duke and UNC have strong seniors in the upcoming draft.

The Sox have hit the baseball equivalent, with Oregon and Vanderbilt. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #268 on: December 16, 2019, 01:24:12 PM »
Looks like the Crew is trying to sign Garcia to play in right thus shifting Yeli to left and  Braun to 1B. I don't really have an opinion on that but am interested in folks thoughts.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #269 on: December 16, 2019, 01:38:28 PM »
Looks like the Crew is trying to sign Garcia to play in right thus shifting Yeli to left and  Braun to 1B. I don't really have an opinion on that but am interested in folks thoughts.

Garcia is a decent player who never lived up to his potential in Chicago. He's got a respectable bat, but us Sox fans always looked at his tools and wondered why he couldn't/wouldn't do more.  Like, how is it that a 6'4", 250-pound man never surpassed more than 20 HRs in a hitter-friendly park?
Also, he's a subpar fielder and injury prone.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #270 on: December 16, 2019, 01:42:53 PM »

Avi was frustrating as a Sox player. Always seemed like he'd breakout and be a borderline star player, but that never really happened. He had a good 2017 season, and it didn't help that he had hype around him as the next Mags. He was fine in Tampa last year and I think he's fine for a season at $6ish mil, you could do worse.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #271 on: December 16, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »
Avi was frustrating as a Sox player. Always seemed like he'd breakout and be a borderline star player, but that never really happened. He had a good 2017 season, and it didn't help that he had hype around him as the next Mags. He was fine in Tampa last year and I think he's fine for a season at $6ish mil, you could do worse.

He was never going to become a star. But if being counted on to be the 4th or 5th best hitter in the lineup is an option, he will be pretty good at that.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #272 on: December 16, 2019, 02:08:34 PM »
He was never going to become a star. But if being counted on to be the 4th or 5th best hitter in the lineup is an option, he will be pretty good at that.

I was a Sox fan that always liked Avi.  He isn't a perfect player, and will drive you crazy sometimes when he goes through spells of giving ABs away.  But there is talent there.  I think this ^^^ is the right way to look at him.  He isn't going to carry your team, but he can be an important contributor. 

Hi defense, like his offense, can be frustrating.  He makes most of the plays, but sometimes will take horrible routes and make poor choices, but he can get to the the ball and he can throw. 

He had a strong season last year for Tampa, and I would expect similar results.  Really, his last 3 seasons have been pretty decent.  And in 2018 he was battling injuries for the Sox.  If that is the guy the Brewers are getting, he will help.  But as Dish said, don't look at the tools and expect a star.  When he hits a 480 foot home run, know that it is a once a year thing.  There isn't some huge untapped well there.  Though with that said, I wouldn't be surprised if moving to Miller Park  (or AMfam?  Is that what it is?  Sorry can't quite recall) helps him with his power a bit.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #273 on: December 16, 2019, 02:09:12 PM »

1) Woodruff
2) Lauer
3) Houser
4) Anderson
5) Lindblom

That's exactly right.  I also think of it as a "win while you have Counsel".
I'm a Cubs fan, and I've been delighted with the Brewers off season so far.  I don't understand shipping Davies off at all.  I won't be shocked if they are fighting for the division again like they've done the last few years, but I will be shocked if they are fighting for a world series.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #274 on: December 16, 2019, 02:25:30 PM »
I know the Cubs need to wait for the Bryant service time decision to fully come through, but it's pretty clear this isn't an all-in year and that they are going to try to retool on the fly while they wait out a few contracts.
The pitching staff: God love him, Lester's best days are behind him. Q is a fine 3 or 4, but hasn't become a big game pitcher.  I love Hendricks and he's locked up.  Yu's contract went from an albatross to an asset somehow with the new pitcher contracts.  Looks like it's either Chatwood or Adzolay for the 5 unless Bryant gets dealt for a Max Fried type.

The lineup - Rizzo's contract isn't being extended. Heyward will keep playing his out.  I don't see Contrares being dealt, and they overvalue Schwarbs so I think (as reported) Bryant is the most likely to go given the pay day he will be due with Boras as his man.   Javy will be extended at some point.
This middle group is so tough to call:  Bote, Happ, Almora, primarily.  If that's your bench, fine, but there will be holes to be filled and they are going to have to fill them.
I'd be pretty surprised if we got Castellanos back.

The pen: You're stuck with Kimbrel.  You've got Wick and Ryan.  Also Wieck and Cotton.... they don't really know what they have here.

Not that he's holding still because of this, but are Theo's eyes already on the door?

feedback