[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by MU82
[Today at 01:55:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[Today at 01:49:43 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20  (Read 280159 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: MLB Hot Stove 2019-20
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2019, 12:38:20 PM »
Sounds like the Braves bailed on Bumgarner after his price tag exceeded 100 Mil.  Don't know if that was where he bidding is, or what his asking is, but if Wheeler is over 100, I can see why Bumgarner feels like he has earned more than Wheeler.

Hot stove says Wheeler may be down to the ChiSox or Phillies, with the Phils offering more $$$ at this point.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2019, 01:31:48 PM »
Hot stove says Wheeler may be down to the ChiSox or Phillies, with the Phils offering more $$$ at this point.

The #Phillies sign Zack Wheeler, per @MarcCarig. He received deal in excess of $100 million.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2019, 01:32:02 PM »
Chili beat me by 30 seconds.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
$23.6 annual for Wheeler...I'm fine with the Sox not going down that road. That's a lot of cheese right there.

I know they won't do it, but hell, if Hamels is getting $18, Wheeler almost $24, if I'm the Sox, I'm going all in on Cole and/or Strasburg. I know they won't, but if Wheeler is getting $23.6 a year, wouldn't you much rather have Cole or Strasburg at $30/$32 a year based on the talent? I mean if that rate is that high to begin with, just get the best out there.

I'm all for guys getting paid, good for Hamels and Wheeler.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
$23.6 annual for Wheeler...I'm fine with the Sox not going down that road. That's a lot of cheese right there.

I know they won't do it, but hell, if Hamels is getting $18, Wheeler almost $24, if I'm the Sox, I'm going all in on Cole and/or Strasburg. I know they won't, but if Wheeler is getting $23.6 a year, wouldn't you much rather have Cole or Strasburg at $30/$32 a year based on the talent? I mean if that rate is that high to begin with, just get the best out there.

Massive overpay for Wheeler in my opinion, both in years and value. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »
According to Rosenthal the White Sox actually offered more to Wheeler.  May have dodged a bullet. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2019, 02:00:51 PM »

Glad Mrs. Wheeler is from Jersey and not Indiana.

#WhiteSox’s offer to Wheeler was for MORE than the $118M he will receive from the #Phillies, sources tell The Athletic. As @MarcCarig said, Wheeler’s wife is from New Jersey, and that proximity was an important consideration in his decision.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »
So, Arrieta signs during Spring Training, Keuchel signs in the middle of the season, and this year everyone will sign before Christmas? 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2019, 02:16:04 PM »
So, Arrieta signs during Spring Training, Keuchel signs in the middle of the season, and this year everyone will sign before Christmas?

All the FAs are colluding against the Brewers for their taking advantage of the collusion by the organizations the last couple off seasons that resulted in some team friendly 1 year deals for them.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2019, 03:12:43 PM »
According to Rosenthal the White Sox actually offered more to Wheeler.  May have dodged a bullet.

No joke there.  He is a good pitcher, but that seems just crazy to me. 

I completely agree with Dish, if you are willing to offer that to Wheeler, just get Strasburg.  I honestly never really got all the love for Wheeler.  Good pitcher, and an asset to any team, but he doesn't seem like an ace to me, and he is already 30, so it isn't like there is a ton of untapped potential. 

** I do think that it is funny that the Sox didn't just sign his brother in law, when this is the case where it would have mattered.  Hahaha.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2019, 03:45:08 PM »
If they were willing to go 5 yrs/$120 mil ($24 annually), which probably sounds about right, why in the hell wouldn't they go 6 yrs/$192 for Cole or Strasburg? I don't know if they had any deferred money in their offer to Wheeler, but if you're willing to go $24 per for a #2 caliber pitcher, why wouldn't you go to $32 per for arguably two of the top five pitchers in the game? The cost difference is a utility infielder. They're obviously no where near the luxury tax.

If Cole/Strasburg want to do what Wheeler did, and go home to play in California, and an extra $2 million a year doesn't matter, that's a whole different story then.

I'm sure this will end up being a cluster eff in the end.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
If they were willing to go 5 yrs/$120 mil ($24 annually), which probably sounds about right, why in the hell wouldn't they go 6 yrs/$192 for Cole or Strasburg? I don't know if they had any deferred money in their offer to Wheeler, but if you're willing to go $24 per for a #2 caliber pitcher, why wouldn't you go to $32 per for arguably two of the top five pitchers in the game? The cost difference is a utility infielder. They're obviously no where near the luxury tax.

If Cole/Strasburg want to do what Wheeler did, and go home to play in California, and an extra $2 million a year doesn't matter, that's a whole different story then.

I'm sure this will end up being a cluster eff in the end.

I wouldn't be mad, but I understand the hesitancy about giving $30+ million a year to a pitcher, especially one with a history of arm trouble like Strasburg.
I'd be more comfortable giving that money to Cole, though he's arguably due for a regression.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2019, 04:20:01 PM »
I wouldn't be mad, but I understand the hesitancy about giving $30+ million a year to a pitcher, especially one with a history of arm trouble like Strasburg.
I'd be more comfortable giving that money to Cole, though he's arguably due for a regression.

I get it as well, the market is what it is though. The price for pitching isn't going to go down, and if they believe they can contend in the AL Central next year, and want to make a postseason run, the price is high to get a stud pitcher. I completely understand the hesitancy, but that's always going to be a factor. My point is, if you're going to go all in on a pitcher, outside of de Grom, you're next two are probably Cole and Strasburg, and you're not sacrificing talent from your team to get either one of them, just financial commitment.

Would you rather overpay Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, or James Paxton next offseason? These two guys are who they should be going all in on right now.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2019, 08:29:39 PM »
I get it as well, the market is what it is though. The price for pitching isn't going to go down, and if they believe they can contend in the AL Central next year, and want to make a postseason run, the price is high to get a stud pitcher. I completely understand the hesitancy, but that's always going to be a factor. My point is, if you're going to go all in on a pitcher, outside of de Grom, you're next two are probably Cole and Strasburg, and you're not sacrificing talent from your team to get either one of them, just financial commitment.

Would you rather overpay Trevor Bauer, Robbie Ray, or James Paxton next offseason? These two guys are who they should be going all in on right now.

I think if you're willing to pay 24 million per for the 30th or 40th best starting pitcher, 35 million per and a few extra years for a top 4 guy is a no brainer. Just my opinion, but a relative bargain. Hope the Sox offer 8/280 for Cole. Doubt it gets it done, but who knows?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:31:32 PM by Lennys Tap »

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #139 on: December 05, 2019, 08:21:13 AM »
Looks like the Brewers got their new catcher, Omar Narvaez from the Mariners.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #140 on: December 05, 2019, 08:24:30 AM »
Not as everyday catcher right?  I’d rather try Pina.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 05, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »
Not as everyday catcher right?  I’d rather try Pina.

Navarez is very good at the plate.  Right behind Grandal at the plate.  Not as good behind the plate, though.

Now bring Thames back and add a third baseman and some pitching.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2019, 08:48:56 AM »
Navarez is very good at the plate.  Right behind Grandal at the plate.  Not as good behind the plate, though.

Not as good is putting it mildly. It's worth a shot, but unless either Pina's offense or Navarez's defense just completely bottom out, I think it's more probable we see a platoon.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2019, 08:49:31 AM »
Given the splits, a platoon with Piña might not be a bad idea.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2019, 09:13:49 AM »

If you bring back Thames, do you go Urias-Arcia-Hiura-[Braun/Thames Platoon] with Gamel playing LF when Braun plays 1B, and Braun playing LF when Thames plays 1B? A sort of 3-part-2-position-platoon?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 05, 2019, 09:49:19 AM »
Given the splits, a platoon with Piña might not be a bad idea.

That's what I see.  And with an expected $2.9 salary and 3 years of control I like the plan.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 05, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »
If you bring back Thames, do you go Urias-Arcia-Hiura-[Braun/Thames Platoon] with Gamel playing LF when Braun plays 1B, and Braun playing LF when Thames plays 1B? A sort of 3-part-2-position-platoon?

Let's not assume that Stearns is done.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
I like Narvaez.  He will give you a good AB every single time.  Never gives them away.  He can be rough behind the plate though, and he won't catch anyone stealing.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2019, 10:36:16 AM »
Let's not assume that Stearns is done.

Fair.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »

I gotta disagree. He is 27 years old and has has one good season at the plate. He was never even a decent hitter before 2018. In fact, he was a bad hitter.

feedback