[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Contaminated (not) meat lawsuit  (Read 3069 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Contaminated (not) meat lawsuit
« on: November 18, 2019, 07:51:05 PM »
Burger King is getting sued because their (not) meat is touching their meat.  Reminds me when I was a kid and all hell would break loose when my baked beans/juice would leak all over and contaminate my jello or something. 

Gotta ask yourself though, how would Arby’s handle this?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-rstrnt-brnd-burger-king-impossible-wh/lawsuit-claims-burger-kings-impossible-whoppers-are-contaminated-by-meat-idUSKBN1XS2FP
don't...don't don't don't don't

forgetful

• All American
Re: Contaminated (not) meat lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 08:25:46 PM »
What I find odd is why are people even eating the "fake meat". It is just as bad for you health wise, likely worse because of how highly processed it is. It is debatable on whether it is even better for the environment (I'd argue it is not, and that it is worse).

Not really any good reason to eat it, just eat real meat. Drink real milk. And eat real ice cream (they now have impossible ice cream too).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
Always wondered when that would be figured out.   Cooked on the same broiler, bound to be some actual beef grease.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
What I find odd is why are people even eating the "fake meat". It is just as bad for you health wise, likely worse because of how highly processed it is. It is debatable on whether it is even better for the environment (I'd argue it is not, and that it is worse).

Not really any good reason to eat it, just eat real meat. Drink real milk. And eat real ice cream (they now have impossible ice cream too).

To save the animals, ya jerk!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »

Some people have allergies.
Some have dietary restrictions based on their faith.
Some people have ethical reasons.
Some people have dietary restrictions based on their health.
Not really any good reason to worry about why others would eat fake meat.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:33:38 PM »
I can't imagine any vegan actually believed that steps were being taken in a Burger King to avoid cross contamination with animal products. This is blood sucking lawyer theater and nothing more.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 10:15:24 PM »
Some people have allergies.
Some have dietary restrictions based on their faith.
Some people have ethical reasons.
Some people have dietary restrictions based on their health.
Not really any good reason to worry about why others would eat fake meat.

I don’t think he worded it well, but his point is fair. The “healthy” angle that they are trying to market it on is misleading. There are plenty of reasons why people avoid red meat, or meat in general, so it makes sense as an option. But the “still have a burger, it’s just better for you!” Is the issue.

Same way with lab grown diamonds being “eco friendly”. Maybe you think diamonds are overpriced or still are deeply bothered by Blood Diamond  ::). Fair enough. But the energy and electricity needed to power the machines that grow them are as non-green as mining is. There is no efficiency to them.

Impossible Burger/Beyond Meat/etc... are here to stay, but I don’t think they will be long for the fast food world.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 10:36:44 PM »
i wonder if it's some mcdonalds guys peeing on burger king's "vegan" party.  the "beef"(complaint) is legit but, really?  it's gonna make burger king, like set up cameras to prove to the vegan ordering masses that their burger does not touch anything but a vegan anointed gridle.  that's what i'm sure the lawsuit is going to demand.  kinda like sobleman has set up in his st paul location

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 06:22:44 AM »
My daughter went vegan and it completely changed her.   It's like I have never even seen herbivore.      (Rimshot)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 07:18:31 AM »

It doesn't really mater if it's better for the environment. People BELIEVE it's better for the environment.

And once that cat is out of the bag, and Burger King's marketing department gets a hold of that message, there's no turning back. It will cease to be a debatable point.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »

Call me a silly millennial....but I eat it to consume fewer animal products for ethical reasons. I know it isn't any better for me. I think the jury is still out on environmental impact. Beef is one of the worst foods to eat in terms of environmental impact. Poultry is probably better for the environment than meat substitutes, but meat substitutes (which mainly aim to substitute beef) are better for the environment than beef.  I also just like the taste of it. The impossible breakfast sandwiches at Dunkin are realllllly good. I like it better than their regular sausage. Impossible Whopper with cheese is also really good.

Lest you think I am some crazy PETA vegetarian, I still eat meat. I am looking forward to devouring a Thanksgiving turkey and a ribeye steak will always be a special treat for me. When possible, I always look for free range/grass fed products. But I think many people want to consume LESS meat for ethical reasons. Factory farming is pretty disturbing if you look at some of the practices. That's my reason.

I am also a practicing Catholic and it will come in handy during lent. Only so many filet O fish  you can eat.

At the end of the day, the free market speaks. And there is definitely a market for these products. I don't know why people's preferences bother you so much.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:49:17 AM by Coleman »

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
Has anyone had Johnsonville grillers?   They're hamburgers made with pork (so they don't actually call them hamburgers... which is weird because, you know... ham...)

Anyway, pigs are a far more sustainable animal to raise than cattle.  While that means almost nothing to me, because I don't care about global warming caused by farming in the US when there are far bigger fish to fry in this world... but I digress.  Point being, if you want to save the planet but want a delicious burger, try Johnsonville grillers. 

https://www.johnsonville.com/lines/grillers.html

/end commercial

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »

Anyway, pigs are a far more sustainable animal to raise than cattle.

/end commercial

Yes, all other ethical issues aside, if we simply replaced beef consumption with pork and poultry, it would have a tremendous impact on carbon/methane emissions.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 11:47:13 AM by Coleman »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
I think there's an overton window kind of benefit to meat substitutes, so I like them in that way.  They need to keep improving, taste-wise and manufacturing-wise, but every small step to take reducing meat consumption mainstream is a good thing. I try to eat less meat but love sh*tty fast food to a disturbing degree, so I'll take as many options as I can get.

Lawsuits like this suck so bad though - they make a caricature of the whole thing and turn off anyone that might have otherwise been willing to give stuff like this a shot.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 10:22:53 AM »
They're hamburgers made with pork (so they don't actually call them hamburgers... which is weird because, you know... ham...)

I haven't tried the Johnsonville Grillers, but they sound tasty.    :)   If you didn't know, the hamburger gets it's name from the city of Hamburg, Germany, where the hamburger was said to have been invented.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 12:14:31 PM »
Has anyone had Johnsonville grillers?   They're hamburgers made with pork (so they don't actually call them hamburgers... which is weird because, you know... ham...)

Anyway, pigs are a far more sustainable animal to raise than cattle.  While that means almost nothing to me, because I don't care about global warming caused by farming in the US when there are far bigger fish to fry in this world... but I digress.  Point being, if you want to save the planet but want a delicious burger, try Johnsonville grillers. 

https://www.johnsonville.com/lines/grillers.html

/end commercial

I'm a big fan of brat burgers. But I also like farting cows
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 12:49:43 PM »
But I also like farting cows

Isn't that .... uncomfortable?

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 01:16:23 PM »

FYI, this specific product is only "bad for you" (subjective term, but mostly true) because of the company's mass market business plan, which most would regard as highly successful.

It isn't "bad for you" simply because it is a manufactured product. It is bad because they were targeting the average person and how an average person likes a fatty/unhealthy sandwich (and hey, count me as one), and not just health nuts or those with dietary restrictions etc.

There are many highly processed products which are extremely healthy. Metamucil, vitamins, oatmeal, protein bars.

The line between "processed food" and "real food" is only going to continue to be blurred over the next few decades. Compare a chicken from the 1940s to one of today, for example. Someone from the 1940s seeing a genetically engineered common chicken of today would likely have concerns about eating it, too.

Is a chicken breast grown on the back of a rat an example of a processed food or a real food?

Also, in terms of societal trends it wasn't that long ago that highly processed foods were seen as much healthier and more reliable than natural or fresh food. It led to the rise of shelf stable products, Wonder Bread etc. Like many things in our country the pendulum swings back and forth. An extreme shift one way usually leads to the pendulum swinging back eventually.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:30:06 PM by The Hamberdler »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »
My daughter went vegan and it completely changed her.   It's like I have never even seen herbivore.      (Rimshot)

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 03:14:51 PM »
 a friend of mine in the egg business told me the eggs laid by cage free hens are actually worse for you than the alternative. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/06/15/many-people-think-cage-free-life-is-better-for-hens-its-not-that-simple/
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 03:16:24 PM by rocket surgeon »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »
a friend of mine in the egg business told me the eggs laid by cage free hens are actually worse for you than the alternative. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/06/15/many-people-think-cage-free-life-is-better-for-hens-its-not-that-simple/

This article doesn't say anything about that.

feedback