[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Most Popular Safety Schools In The Country  (Read 5962 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Most Popular Safety Schools In The Country
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »
CU is such a unique place.  My girlfriend from freshman year of college transferred back home there, so I spent a good amount of time over the next 6-8 months there.  I'm wasnt an avid fan of "herbal supplements" nor was I much for the crunchy granola pseudo hippie vibe Boulder can be known for.  I love to ski but otherwise not a huge outdoors (camping, hiking) sort of person.  That being said, it had a magnetism that I was obsessed with.  It is eclectic, and laid back, and diverse.  Good academics, a gorgeous campus, Folsom is an amazing venue, and close to Denver.  I was in love with where I went to school and couldn't leave, but if I was even remotely unhappy, I may have transferred after visit #2.

CU was strong in football at the time which made me aware of it.  Then a family vacation to Winter Park.  My dad vetoed it for my real motivations and because he would not pay for out-of-state tuition since I got into the major public schools in our state.

When I went back to Boulder a few years ago my wife and I were walking around campus during sorority rush weekend. Every girl was tall, thin, blonde and wearing black.  Very different from MU back in the 90's!  Downtown Boulder and the Pearl Street Mall are feckin' awesome too.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:53:20 PM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2019, 04:52:12 PM »
CU is such a unique place.  My girlfriend from freshman year of college transferred back home there, so I spent a good amount of time over the next 6-8 months there.  I'm wasnt an avid fan of "herbal supplements" nor was I much for the crunchy granola pseudo hippie vibe Boulder can be known for.  I love to ski but otherwise not a huge outdoors (camping, hiking) sort of person.  That being said, it had a magnetism that I was obsessed with.  It is eclectic, and laid back, and diverse.  Good academics, a gorgeous campus, Folsom is an amazing venue, and close to Denver.  I was in love with where I went to school and couldn't leave, but if I was even remotely unhappy, I may have transferred after visit #2.

As strange as it seems to me now, my No. 1 criteria when choosing a college: get the hell out of Colorado.

I had a very brief period sophomore year of high school when I wanted to go to CC in Colorado Springs.  I went to a college night at my high school and was really intrigued by their "block system" where you took one class at a time.  I went home and told my dad, "I'm going to Colorado College."  He responded immediately, "No you're not."  That was the beginning and the end of my consideration of Colorado schools.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
As strange as it seems to me now, my No. 1 criteria when choosing a college: get the hell out of Colorado.

I had a very brief period sophomore year of high school when I wanted to go to CC in Colorado Springs.  I went to a college night at my high school and was really intrigued by their "block system" where you took one class at a time.  I went home and told my dad, "I'm going to Colorado College."  He responded immediately, "No you're not."  That was the beginning and the end of my consideration of Colorado schools.

I was getting materials from CC, was also very intrigued by it and the whole block plan and brought that one up to my dad. He was game and suggested we take a family vacation to ski in Colorado and check out CC during my senior year. Then I told him the cost there and, well, there was no vacation to Colorado and no applying to CC.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 06:26:26 PM by Billy Hoyle »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2019, 05:02:47 PM »
I was getting materials from CC, was also very intrigued by CC and brought that one up to my dad. He was game and suggested we take a family vacation to ski in Colorado and check out CC during my senior year. Then I told him the cost of CC and, well, there was no vacation to Colorado.

My best friend from HS went to CC and loved it.  I visited one Spring Break, but can't remember which year.  When I arrived he had a case of Old Milwaukee for me because...well...I went to school in Milwaukee and all.  I had to break it to him that Miller was really the main Milwaukee beer.  But we drank it, of course.  I didn't want to be ungrateful or wasteful.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »
Notre Dame was my safety school, in case I didn't get into Marquette.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2019, 03:25:35 PM »
MU is a solid school but that first sentence is false.

How so?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2019, 04:23:01 PM »
How so?

my guess is he's saying that due to the credentials of the professors at those schools (yes, many of those highly esteemed in their fields they do teach undergraduate courses). Though I am not sure that really matters all that much. I see the advantage being the end results - the connections (especially in the financial sector), the grade inflation helping grads get into the top grad schools, etc.