collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Prayers for Cassius Winston  (Read 3013 times)

tower912

• All American
Prayers for Cassius Winston
« on: November 10, 2019, 11:38:38 AM »
His brother was struck by a train.  A difficult journey ahead.   God's blessing to him and his family.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Prayers for Cassius Winston
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:21:52 PM »
His brother was struck by a train.  A difficult journey ahead.   God's blessing to him and his family.

Apparent suicide.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »
Yes.   I doubt that eases the pain of his family.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 08:06:49 PM »
Yes.   I doubt that eases the pain of his family.

Possibly makes it worse. I don't know if the young man had any history of mental illness.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 10:03:24 PM »
Possibly makes it worse. I don't know if the young man had any history of mental illness.

The stigma still attached to mental illness keeps a lot of folk silent about their struggles. Young, male, athlete - people wrongly assume this group is immune from mental health issues. Whether he had a documented history or not, you can bet he had a history. So very, very, sad.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 11:54:31 AM »
The stigma still attached to mental illness keeps a lot of folk silent about their struggles. Young, male, athlete - people wrongly assume this group is immune from mental health issues. Whether he had a documented history or not, you can bet he had a history. So very, very, sad.

Very true, Lenny. And, I think the stigma is worse in the black culture than for whites.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »

Very true, Lenny. And, I think the stigma is worse in the black culture than for whites.

I am not sure why we need to insert race in here.  My white-coworker's daughter jumped in front of a train after struggling with her mental health for years.  Her obituary said she died in an "accident".
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »
I am not sure why we need to insert race in here.  My white-coworker's daughter jumped in front of a train after struggling with her mental health for years.  Her obituary said she died in an "accident".

Because there is a researched and acknowledged difference in view and acceptance of mental health and "abnormalities" in the AA community.  It goes very deep due to a variety of issues and oppressive factors over generations, but there is far less acceptance of things like mental illness, homosexuality, and differing from traditional "masculinity".   Mental health does not discriminate on race, gender, class, or economic status, but its treatment and stigma severity does vary from group to group.  Its not an unnecessary addition to the conversation.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 10:43:26 PM »
Any more information come out?  Michigan State has a tough week with the death of a former football player.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 10:50:21 PM »
Any more information come out?  Michigan State has a tough week with the death of a former football player.

Huh? What information are you looking for? It was a suicide, he stepped out in front of a train.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 02:32:06 PM »
Huh? What information are you looking for? It was a suicide, he stepped out in front of a train.

Is there information that came to the forefront that may have led to that action?  Girlfriend issue?  School?

Suicide can be triggered by sudden emotional events, or it can be after a long struggle of mental illness and despair.
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 02:38:30 PM »

Is there information that came to the forefront that may have led to that action?  Girlfriend issue?  School?

Suicide can be triggered by sudden emotional events, or it can be after a long struggle of mental illness and despair.

Based on Cassius's Instagram post it seems his brother battled depression for a while.

Not sure why it matters.  A family is mourning a son/brother/nephew/cousin/friend taking his own life.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 04:59:06 PM »
Based on Cassius's Instagram post it seems his brother battled depression for a while.

Not sure why it matters.  A family is mourning a son/brother/nephew/cousin/friend taking his own life.

It will not bring him back, my prayers to his family.  As terrible as it is for them, it can also be a teachable moment for others that battle depression. One area counselors focus on is the despair of the moment is never as bad as it may seem.  It may feel as though all is lost, but it isn’t.  The death of a friend or family member, losing a job, or a relationship ending.  There can be trigger events pushing sufferers into such deep depression their world collapses inward because coping mechanisms fail.

— Plato

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 10:48:55 PM »

sometimes people who have similar thoughts, see this, see the reality of it and may seek help or may just not follow through on their own self-destructive thoughts.  then maybe thru conversation, someone may recognize some signs and encourage them to get help without the stigmas.  a lot of good can come out of discussions
don't...don't don't don't don't

feedback