'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: More Athletic and Better Chemistry  (Read 23400 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: More Athletic and Better Chemistry
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2019, 11:56:35 AM »
Haha "drop it already"?  The basis of this thread was literally about the lack of Hausers....so I commented on Sam Hauser.....  Or excuse me, defended that I was a big fan of his.  Of course I was a big fan of his, who wasn't?

He doesn't represent MU anymore, and that's a goddamn shame.  Instead of a potential incredible season with the chances of a #1 ranking, we're now left with scrapping for a 7-10 seed.  The "what could have been" isn't going away any time soon.

Sam chose to leave.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2019, 12:06:43 PM »
Doesn't every single sports fan focus on the "what could have been" scenarios? Sometimes that's a bigger talking point than the actual games. Even now, I still end up talking with friends about the '09 season and what kind of run we could have made with a healthy Dominic James. As a Bengals fan, I talk about how far they could have gone in the 2015 season when Andy Dalton was having himself an MVP-caliber season before breaking his wrist in Week 13 or 14. Ask Cubs fans if they know who Steve Bartman is.

Telling a sports fan to get over the what-ifs or to just move on is much easier said than done. This whole message board wouldn't be needed if all we did was digest recent games and talk about upcoming games. Last year at this time, a lot of MU fans were already looking forward to what this year would bring. It's hard to avoid. It's just part of being a fan.

The Hausers will be mentioned on this board, by TV analysts, and at many pre-game/post-game bars by MU fans. They're gone but they're not going away. And that's OK.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
Sam would make this a Top 10 team

This could be a Top 10 team without Sam. KenPom currently ranks Marquette at #13, already up 2 spots from the beginning of the season.

That's not denying Sam's obvious talent. He's one of the greatest shooters in college basketball and Marquette history, an incredible competitor and a smart player. At the same time, those abilities don't automatically make him the best complementary piece to a team with Markus as its focus.

Just one example:

One of Sam's biggest shortcomings is offensive rebounding (3.7 OR% last season). You can argue this is a huge need on a team where outside shooting is so dominant. Three-pointers account for 43.6% of MU's shot attempts so far this year (63rd highest percentage in the country, 3rd in the Big East). Because 3-point attempts convert at a lower rate, and because missed 3-pointers tend to produce more long rebounds, an off night beyond the arc can easily turn into lots of easy transition opportunities for opponents.

Ed (15.5 OR% last season), Theo (11.1%), Jamal (7.2%), Brendan (6.5%) and Jayce (12.6% as a junior at Utah) are all vastly better than Sam on the offensive glass. That could lead to more second-chance points (often high-percentage shots close to the basket) and fewer breakaways on the other end.

We're only two games in. But the early results are encouraging. Team offensive rebounding has ticked up from 29.4% a year ago to 31.2% this year. Effective FG% is up from 53.5% to 55.0%. And defensive 2P% is down from 45.1% to 36.6%.

Basketball is a team sport, one that requires multiple skills for success. Sam is truly exceptional as a spot-up shooter. He's also a solid defender and rebounder. But he's average to below-average in other key areas beyond offensive rebounding -- including as a perimeter driver, on-ball defender (1.1 Stl%, only ahead of Joey and Theo last season) and shot blocker (1.7 Blk% last season, only ahead of Markus, Joey, Sacar and Joseph Chartouny).

While few would say Jamal or Brendan are more talented players than Sam, they may be a better fit for this team and help it achieve more success on the court. From what I've seen so far, I like the way the players on this roster complement one another offensively and defensively.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 01:06:18 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »
Doesn't every single sports fan focus on the "what could have been" scenarios? Sometimes that's a bigger talking point than the actual games. Even now, I still end up talking with friends about the '09 season and what kind of run we could have made with a healthy Dominic James. As a Bengals fan, I talk about how far they could have gone in the 2015 season when Andy Dalton was having himself an MVP-caliber season before breaking his wrist in Week 13 or 14. Ask Cubs fans if they know who Steve Bartman is.

Telling a sports fan to get over the what-ifs or to just move on is much easier said than done. This whole message board wouldn't be needed if all we did was digest recent games and talk about upcoming games. Last year at this time, a lot of MU fans were already looking forward to what this year would bring. It's hard to avoid. It's just part of being a fan.

The Hausers will be mentioned on this board, by TV analysts, and at many pre-game/post-game bars by MU fans. They're gone but they're not going away. And that's OK.
I get all that. 

A guy getting injured is one thing and for a while after that '09 season concluded I certainly thought about how far we could have gone had he not been injured.  It was devastating at the time thinking about what might have been. 

That's not nearly the same as pining for a guy who chose to transfer, and for me at least, losing the guy that chose to leave doesn't have any where near the same impact.  I haven't thought much about Sam since he left since, you know, he chose to leave.  Not quite to the point of wishing him ill, I just don't wish him anything and have moved on or gotten over it as I said earlier. 

If others want to keep thinking about what might have been...go for it.  It just gets old.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2019, 01:13:58 PM »
Sam is an excellent basketball player and it is disappointing he left.  They are a less talented team without him.  Whether they are a worse team is still to be determined.   Team chemistry can help teams transcend their talents.  We’ll see what happens with this team but so far they seem very close and willing to sacrifice for each other.

Exactly.

Everyone realizes that we would be better offensively with Sam on this team. I think everyone also knows that we would be worse defensively with Sam on this team.

As you said, We'll see what happens this year. We will certainly see a tougher, scrappier team game in and game out. Even Markus has bought in on the defensive end. Even as the weakest link, he is giving max effort every time down the floor on defense.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
Everyone realizes that we would be better offensively with Sam on this team.

Nothing against Sam, but this is not a foregone conclusion. While Marquette had one of the most potent three-point attacks in the country with Markus, Sam and Joey, it was also one of the most one-dimensional.

There's a chance that this year's team is actually more efficient offensively without Sam and Joey -- due to greater versatility and balance (between outside shooters, penetrators and post-up players).

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »
Just one example:

One of Sam's biggest shortcomings is offensive rebounding (3.7 OR% last season).
I understand your overall point that as talented as Sam is, he might not have been exactly what the team needed, but I don't think OR% is a very good example.  You don't get a lot of O boards when you are primarily a spot up 3 point shooter.  He wasn't asked to be a offensive rebounder in the way he was being used.  It's like pointing out that Theo doesn't get many fast break points.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »
A guy getting injured is one thing and for a while after that '09 season concluded I certainly thought about how far we could have gone had he not been injured.  It was devastating at the time thinking about what might have been.

I get where you're coming from, but just like that '09 season, this one will always be caveated with a "what if" by some fans unless we win the national championship. We went from one of the favorites to win it all to a team hoping for a second weekend run.

I'm still hoping to cut down nets in Atlanta, because until we're out, that's always my hope, but anything short of that will lead to this being one of those "what if" seasons for years to come.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
Seton Hall sucks
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

onepost

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2019, 01:51:45 PM »

Thank you for putting this better than I did.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
I understand your overall point that as talented as Sam is, he might not have been exactly what the team needed, but I don't think OR% is a very good example.  You don't get a lot of O boards when you are primarily a spot up 3 point shooter.  He wasn't asked to be a offensive rebounder in the way he was being used.  It's like pointing out that Theo doesn't get many fast break points.

This actually goes to my point.

On this team, you already have a better all-around scorer in Markus -- one who can not only spot up from three, but create his own shot on step backs, mid-range pull-ups and driving floaters.

So if you have one of the greatest go-to scorers and perimeter shooters in college basketball, what other team needs are most important?

Offensively, I'd look for players who can distribute (Koby, Symir, Greg), penetrate (Koby, Sacar), post up (Jayce, Ed, Theo) and crash the offensive boards (Jamal, Brendan, Ed, Theo, Jayce) first. Of course, there's a need for other spot-up shooters. But we've got that covered with Koby, Sacar, Greg, Symir, Jamal and Brendan. They may not be lights-out shooters like Sam -- but they're much more versatile overall and can fill more key roles within the offense.

Defensively, Wojo's scheme emphasizes on-ball defenders with the length, quickness, athleticism and strength to stay in front of their man, recover quickly, shrink passing lanes, cause deflections, contest shots, provide help when needed and rebound. The same principle applies here; a player like Jamal or Brendan fills virtually all of these critical defensive roles better than Sam.

It's true Sam wasn't asked to be an offensive rebounder. But I simply don't see that in his skill set. He's slow, with average length and can't jump. Nobody would confuse him with Jamal, Brendon, Ed or Theo when it comes to athleticism.

Sam is exceptionally good at what he does best: shooting the ball. Shooting has been a clear strength of this team the past 3 seasons -- but how far has that gotten us? Two NCAA appearances, 2 first-round exits. It seems clear this team was missing something.

The current roster includes more players who can fill multiple roles. That could be a bigger difference-maker this season than Sam's shooting ability.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:20:54 PM by Marcus92 »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2019, 02:49:19 PM »
I get where you're coming from, but just like that '09 season, this one will always be caveated with a "what if" by some fans unless we win the national championship. We went from one of the favorites to win it all to a team hoping for a second weekend run.

I'm still hoping to cut down nets in Atlanta, because until we're out, that's always my hope, but anything short of that will lead to this being one of those "what if" seasons for years to come.

I think we are overestimating how good that team would have been. One of the favorites to win it all? I had high hopes, but wouldn’t have ever called us a favorite to win it all. I get one place ranked us number 2 for whatever reason. I think we all thought that was lofty.

I really miss the Hausers, but feel like we were looking at a top 15 team. Not necessarily a top 5 with expectations of a Final 4.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2019, 03:02:42 PM »
Sam was as a fundamentally sound freshman as I have seen at MU. He did a lot of things well, often using his smarts to make up for his lack of athleticsm.

What he did really well is shoot. How the current roster is comprised, it will have to be a combination of players to replace his contributions. It is quite clear there isn't one player that will replace his shooting.

As we saw versus Purdue, MU's defense is much improved, however.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2019, 03:14:32 PM »
I would say the team looks fitter, happier, more productive, and appear to be getting along better with their associate contemporaries. By my calculation, this should result in 3-4 wins above expectations on paper.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2019, 03:18:40 PM »
The title of this thread makes me think of professional baseball in the 90s.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2019, 03:30:31 PM »
I really miss the Hausers, but feel like we were looking at a top 15 team. Not necessarily a top 5 with expectations of a Final 4.

That's reasonable.  And I think a Top 15 team is what we have now, without the Hausers.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »
I think we are overestimating how good that team would have been. One of the favorites to win it all? I had high hopes, but wouldn’t have ever called us a favorite to win it all. I get one place ranked us number 2 for whatever reason. I think we all thought that was lofty.

Every too-early ranking had us top 5-10 that I recall.

ESPN #2: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26464237/loaded-michigan-state-leads-way-too-early-top-25-2019-20

NBC had us at #4, Andy Katz at #5: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.anonymouseagle.com/platform/amp/2019/10/28/20936073/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-preview-roundtable-remember-those-top-five-expectations

Sports Illustrated #6: https://amp.si.com/college-basketball/2019/04/09/ncaa-basketball-rankings-early-top-25-kentucky-duke-michigan-state

Gary Parish #7: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/2019-20-college-basketball-rankings-michigan-state-is-no-1-in-our-never-too-early-top-25-and-1-for-next-season/

Sporting News #7: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-rankings-sporting-news-way-too-early-top-25-for-2019-20/1oplcsov8ioxf18ydgei068fyp

CBB on Fox #8: https://twitter.com/cbbonfox/status/1115746782355394561?s=21

USA Today #8: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2019/04/09/preseason-college-basketball-top-25-rankings/3381228002/

I think anyone that's a top 5-10 team would be one of the favorites.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2019, 03:37:38 PM »
This actually goes to my point.

On this team, you already have a better all-around scorer in Markus -- one who can not only spot up from three, but create his own shot on step backs, mid-range pull-ups and driving floaters.

So if you have one of the greatest go-to scorers and perimeter shooters in college basketball, what other team needs are most important?

Offensively, I'd look for players who can distribute (Koby, Symir, Greg), penetrate (Koby, Sacar), post up (Jayce, Ed, Theo) and crash the offensive boards (Jamal, Brendan, Ed, Theo, Jayce) first. Of course, there's a need for other spot-up shooters. But we've got that covered with Koby, Sacar, Greg, Symir, Jamal and Brendan. They may not be lights-out shooters like Sam -- but they're much more versatile overall and can fill more key roles within the offense.

Defensively, Wojo's scheme emphasizes on-ball defenders with the length, quickness, athleticism and strength to stay in front of their man, recover quickly, shrink passing lanes, cause deflections, contest shots, provide help when needed and rebound. The same principle applies here; a player like Jamal or Brendan fills virtually all of these critical defensive roles better than Sam.

It's true Sam wasn't asked to be an offensive rebounder. But I simply don't see that in his skill set. He's slow, with average length and can't jump. Nobody would confuse him with Jamal, Brendon, Ed or Theo when it comes to athleticism.

Sam is exceptionally good at what he does best: shooting the ball. Shooting has been a clear strength of this team the past 3 seasons -- but how far has that gotten us? Two NCAA appearances, 2 first-round exits. It seems clear this team was missing something.

The current roster includes more players who can fill multiple roles. That could be a bigger difference-maker this season than Sam's shooting ability.

How much kool-aid did you spill when writing this? Just kidding, just kiding  :P

I think what we're seeing in a lot of posts about the Hausers is people overstating positive attributes of our current roster while also overstating the negative attributes of the Hausers' games. This is a great example.

Sam was more than a spot up shooter, and we all know that. He had a great post game and was able to play with his back to the basket very well. I'd call that a guy who can play multiple roles. He also led the team in rebounds last year (despite being so slow and having no hops), and Joey was #2. And when it comes to FTs, who would you rather have on the line in the last minute of a game, Sam or anyone not named Markus on this year's team? Even from a ballhandling perspective, there's a reason we saw Sam and even Joey at times bringing the ball up last year more than Jamal or Brendan.

The way you talk about Jamal and Brendan and Ed is basically looking at them at the high end of their potential, not really looking at what they've actually produced. Physcially, there are a lot of guys that fit the mold of what you described above, but at this level, basketball IQ and confidence make a big difference. All of Greg, Jamal, Brendan and Ed are still a little lacking in these departments at times right now and as a result, still aren't quite to the level a lot of us want them to be at. They'll get better with more experience, but none of them are at the level of where Sam was last year. Doubtful any of them are even at the level Joey was, really.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2019, 04:48:52 PM »
Some really good points, skianth.

As a huge fan of Sam's during his time here (for all of the reasons you stated), initially I thought there was no way this could be a better team without him. Co-MVP, all Big East, minutes played, et cetera. I don't mean to downplay his skills or contributions.

On the defensive end, for instance, Sam seemed to understand how team defense is supposed to work -- always aware of what's going on around him, putting himself in the best position on the court and defending without fouling.

At the same time, there are things Marquette did as a team Wednesday night I don't think it could have done last season with Sam in the lineup.

Purdue's offense is a nightmare for man-to-man defenses. Constant motion, screens and ball movement -- all designed to slow down individual defenders and create open, high-percentage looks. Instead of wearing down Marquette, though, it looked like Purdue was getting worn down. Players like Jamal and Greg fought through every screen and used their length and quickness to close out and contest virtually every shot. It was quite possibly the best defensive performance I've seen by a Wojo-coached team.

We'll have to see how the season plays out. But I do think this team could have a higher ceiling without Sam -- because of how the pieces fit together.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 04:51:02 PM by Marcus92 »

onepost

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2019, 05:10:58 PM »
I would say the team looks fitter, happier, more productive, and appear to be getting along better with their associate contemporaries. By my calculation, this should result in 3-4 wins above expectations on paper.

This is absolutely ridiculous to both infer from 80 minutes of basketball and to calculate.  Did you forget the teal?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2019, 05:13:41 PM »
This is absolutely ridiculous to both infer from 80 minutes of basketball and to calculate.  Did you forget the teal?

No dude, I was dead serious.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2019, 05:31:58 PM »
Haha "drop it already"?  The basis of this thread was literally about the lack of Hausers....so I commented on Sam Hauser.....  Or excuse me, defended that I was a big fan of his.  Of course I was a big fan of his, who wasn't?

He doesn't represent MU anymore, and that's a goddamn shame.  Instead of a potential incredible season with the chances of a #1 ranking, we're now left with scrapping for a 7-10 seed.  The "what could have been" isn't going away any time soon.

I wasnt once i found out he was a complete bitch.  U still pining for the ho that cheated on u sophomore year.
Would rather lose without the Hauser bitches than win with them. I said it then n i will say it again that aint gonna be a problem.  Unathletic stiffs were the problem not the solution.  We get housed by Purdue with those turnstiles on the floor.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2019, 06:26:26 PM »
Seton Hall sucks

Big picture? Maybe.

Last night, however, they showed they are absolutely contenders for the BE crown.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »

Did you? I'm confused.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2019, 07:33:38 PM »
Doesn't every single sports fan focus on the "what could have been" scenarios?

Absolutely, and lots of us keep bringing up this particular "what could have been" scenario over and over and over again.

This thread specifically talked about the improved chemistry without the Hausers, so I certainly get it here. But sometimes, the pining does get a little old. For me, anyway. I understand how popular Sam was -- I enjoyed watching him play, too.

I also agree with your post in which you talk about Sam being better than just a spot-up shooter. A lot of folks here are angry about the way everything transpired, so they they under-rate how good an all-around player he was. (On the flip side, a lot of folks are very angry about Wojo's perceived role in it, and so they bring up Hausershima constantly as a way to rip Wojo.)

Our defense would still be very good this season with him playing 30+ mpg, especially if only Joey had transferred. Sam does a lot of good things defensively, and IMHO he's not nearly as bad an athlete as some keep saying.

But again ... he ain't walkin' through that door again.

He no longer wanted to be a Warrior. That was his choice, and his alone. So while I appreciate his basketball ability, I don't pine for him one iota.

I am thrilled with the guys who wanted to be Warriors, including many who were rumored to want out but decided to stay after the Hausers left.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback