[Today at 08:46:51 PM]

Oso's NBA profile by MuggsyB
[Today at 08:42:22 PM]

Omax declares by Newsdreams
[Today at 08:22:09 PM]

My Lingering Concern with This Team by Newsdreams
[Today at 08:08:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: Western Kentucky

Marquette
Marquette vs

Western Kentucky

Date/Time: Mar 22, 2024, 1:00 pm
TV: TBS
Schedule for 2023-24
UConn

Author Topic: More Athletic and Better Chemistry  (Read 23397 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: More Athletic and Better Chemistry
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2019, 07:44:35 PM »
Just to clarify one denominational thing. What I mean by better chemistry, is a)that each kid on the team has a well defined role , b) everyone on the team respects each others role and and c) the availability of minutes with respect to their respective roles, gives each guy a chance to play enough to build confidence. Net result a team working together cohesively.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Slim

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2019, 08:42:11 PM »
Just to clarify one denominational thing. What I mean by better chemistry, is a)that each kid on the team has a well defined role , b) everyone on the team respects each others role and and c) the availability of minutes with respect to their respective roles, gives each guy a chance to play enough to build confidence. Net result a team working together cohesively.

I hope you're right Herm. I think it is too early to tell. BB was not happy after the game, I don't see how Ed could be either.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2019, 09:26:24 PM »
I wasnt once i found out he was a complete bitch.  U still pining for the ho that cheated on u sophomore year.
Would rather lose without the Hauser bitches than win with them. I said it then n i will say it again that aint gonna be a problem.  Unathletic stiffs were the problem not the solution.  We get housed by Purdue with those turnstiles on the floor.
You should never post again.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »
I hope you're right Herm. I think it is too early to tell. BB was not happy after the game, I don't see how Ed could be either.

Only one BB should be upset with is himself. Picked up 2 quick fouls in the first half, comes out in the second and takes a terrible shot, and gets thoroughly outplayed by Jamal.  Wojo can't be giving out minutes just to keep people happy.  If BB can't beat out Jamal, he won't be the impact player that we expected.

As for Ed, when he's going up against 6-9 or 6-10 players, he can make up the size differential with his strength.  Can't really do that against someone 7-3.  Plus we don't know how the big rotations will be when Jayce comes back and we have the option to go twin towers. 

Bottom line, it's far too small of a sample size to make a determination either way.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2019, 10:19:54 PM »

Was this something you observed, or do you have inside information?

Not criticizing you in the least for your post. Just curious as to how you came to this conclusion.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2019, 05:57:57 AM »
Loser
Hmmm Last years champs dont think that way concerning Sam.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2019, 10:20:24 AM »
Only one BB should be upset with is himself. Picked up 2 quick fouls in the first half, comes out in the second and takes a terrible shot, and gets thoroughly outplayed by Jamal.  Wojo can't be giving out minutes just to keep people happy.  If BB can't beat out Jamal, he won't be the impact player that we expected.

As for Ed, when he's going up against 6-9 or 6-10 players, he can make up the size differential with his strength.  Can't really do that against someone 7-3.  Plus we don't know how the big rotations will be when Jayce comes back and we have the option to go twin towers. 

Bottom line, it's far too small of a sample size to make a determination either way.

This is right. Brendan played himself out of the Purdue game.  He should only be upset with himself and happy for the team win.  Hopefully this will motivate him to play better against Wisconsin.  Looking forward to his development.  He is going to be a huge piece of the puzzle for us going forward.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2019, 11:06:26 AM »
I think we are overestimating how good that team would have been. One of the favorites to win it all? I had high hopes, but wouldn’t have ever called us a favorite to win it all. I get one place ranked us number 2 for whatever reason. I think we all thought that was lofty.

I really miss the Hausers, but feel like we were looking at a top 15 team. Not necessarily a top 5 with expectations of a Final 4.

Looks where UL entered the season ranked. Everyone has them as a massive contender and a current 1 seed.

Last year they were a 10 seed that got stomped by Minny and lost to us early in the year.

Like UL we would be returning everyone(under the assumption the Hausers are still here). We very clearly woulda been one of the main contenders.

Hell even the preseason #1 Michigan State lost far more production to level the field for teams like us and UL.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2019, 12:37:52 PM »

I think a lot of posters here comment on Ed's game based on what he looks like moreso than how he actually plays. He looks like a bruiser, but he's much more of a finesse guy around the rim. He doesn't really push guys around a ton; he's more likely to get to the rim by using his footwork to get around a defender rather that going through him. And I'd say that style even carries over to his defensive game too.

This could probably end up being its own thread, but when Jayce is healthy, I don't think we'll see a ton of minutes from Ed. He seems to be a distant third option behind Jayce and Theo right now. So I'm guessing the only time we'll go with two bigs is when we have Jayce and Theo together. And with our depth at the wing, I'm even OK with limiting the two-big lineups to just a few sets per game.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
This could probably end up being its own thread, but when Jayce is healthy, I don't think we'll see a ton of minutes from Ed. He seems to be a distant third option behind Jayce and Theo right now. So I'm guessing the only time we'll go with two bigs is when we have Jayce and Theo together. And with our depth at the wing, I'm even OK with limiting the two-big lineups to just a few sets per game.

I'll be very interested in this. I think Ed is a solid player and fits in at this level. But other than the 2-big sets, I agree, I just don't see where he fits other than if the Johnson combo is in foul trouble. Maybe we'll see some midrange from him once that happens, but if that's going to become part of his game, I'd think he would try to work it in during these first games and not just when he's in a new set.

The other thing that will make it harder is that Cain has been pretty solid. Good defensively, adequate offensively, great rebounder. Ed will have to be able to play past him and Bailey.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2019, 02:54:10 PM »
I think a lot of posters here comment on Ed's game based on what he looks like moreso than how he actually plays. He looks like a bruiser, but he's much more of a finesse guy around the rim. He doesn't really push guys around a ton; he's more likely to get to the rim by using his footwork to get around a defender rather that going through him. And I'd say that style even carries over to his defensive game too.

How do you know Morrow is a "distant third option" when we haven't see one second of Jayce yet?

Did Wojo indicate in some way that Jayce was ahead of Morrow on the depth chart?

I am not any kind of insider, and I am genuinely interested in how you arrived at this.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »
How do you know Morrow is a "distant third option" when we haven't see one second of Jayce yet?

Did Wojo indicate in some way that Jayce was ahead of Morrow on the depth chart?

I am not any kind of insider, and I am genuinely interested in how you arrived at this.

I guess we will find out to Morrow.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2019, 05:18:01 PM »
Think it is time for us to move on. Some think the Hausers were great others see significant flaws. Bottom line they are gone and it does not matter. No point going over what if's or are we better or worse. This is a different team and our team to cheer for is in Milwuakee.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »

Pure speculation, honestly. But with Jayce's track record compared to Ed's, it seems like a good bet to me.

I like Ed. I just think he'll have a tough time getting minutes with our roster. In a lot of scenarios, he could be a big time guy. I just don't see that for us this year. I see that as one of those good problems, though.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2019, 07:40:32 PM »
Pure speculation, honestly. But with Jayce's track record compared to Ed's, it seems like a good bet to me.

I like Ed. I just think he'll have a tough time getting minutes with our roster. In a lot of scenarios, he could be a big time guy. I just don't see that for us this year. I see that as one of those good problems, though.

Thanks for the answer.

I will be thrilled if Jayce gets healthy and shows he is more valuable than Ed, because Morrow ended up helping us win a lot of games last season. Indeed, a very pleasant problem if it happens.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2019, 07:44:05 PM »

When Jayce returns, he and Theo will man the center and Ed and Bailey will share the PF spot (or 4) in Wojo’s offense. Ed will see more minutes. He was not a good match up vs. Haarms. And, one of the reasons he transferred here is that he didn’t want to be the center. Ed will be a big contributor.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »
When Jayce returns, he and Theo will man the center and Ed and Bailey will share the PF spot (or 4) in Wojo’s offense. Ed will see more minutes. He was not a good match up vs. Haarms. And, one of the reasons he transferred here is that he didn’t want to be the center. Ed will be a big contributor.

I dunno, Doc. So far, it's tough to imagine Theo and Ed or Jayce and Ed being on the court together for too many minutes given that Ed has so far shown no ability to score from more than 1 foot away from the hoop.

I maybe can see it happening against opponents that play 2 bigs a lot, but there aren't many teams like that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2019, 08:04:30 PM »
I dunno, Doc. So far, it's tough to imagine Theo and Ed or Jayce and Ed being on the court together for too many minutes given that Ed has so far shown no ability to score from more than 1 foot away from the hoop.

I maybe can see it happening against opponents that play 2 bigs a lot, but there aren't many teams like that.

Some can talk about BB being an all timer, the fact is he hasn’t shown it yet (hope to be proven wrong). Also, Wojo has talked about this line-up all summer and has practiced it. Ed hasn’t shown it as he has had to play the 5 in his two seasons here. A note, he hasn’t missed all year and his rebounding replaces Sam’s.

It will take a committee, but there are minutes to be had as neither BB or Ed replaces Sam (BB Plus Ed might come close). Wojo will ride the match-ups and hot hands much more than last season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2019, 11:01:42 PM »
Some can talk about BB being an all timer, the fact is he hasn’t shown it yet (hope to be proven wrong). Also, Wojo has talked about this line-up all summer and has practiced it. Ed hasn’t shown it as he has had to play the 5 in his two seasons here. A note, he hasn’t missed all year and his rebounding replaces Sam’s.

It will take a committee, but there are minutes to be had as neither BB or Ed replaces Sam (BB Plus Ed might come close). Wojo will ride the match-ups and hot hands much more than last season.

I am looking forward to seeing if it can work.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »

This is my thought too. We have a ton of depth, likely strong depth, at the wing with this roster. Guys like Jamal, Brendan, and even Greg (hopefully) can grab some boards and slow down guys in the 3/4 type role. But they will be at their best against the smaller, more athletic wings that are more common in the college game. When we go against a more traditional 4 and 5, I think we see a lot of Theo and Jayce together. But against most teams who don't have 2 traditional bigs, I think we see a consistent rotation of Theo and Jayce.

Ed has some great strengths, but he's in a tough spot this year. He's a little undersized to compete with the Theos of the world, and he's probably just a step slow to compete with the Brendans. I think he'll have some games where he shines, but there will likely be a good number where he just doesn't get to see much action.

Like I said before, this is a good problem to have. We've been wanting to see a strong big for years and years now. But with Theo coming into his own, and Jayce entering as a seasoned player, we're in a unique position this year. Competing for minutes can be frustrating for the players, but it's probably a great thing for the team.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »

You are better than this Doc.    COULD BECOME AN ALL TIMER....THAT IS WHAT WAS SAID.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2019, 01:23:37 AM »
You are better than this Doc.    COULD BECOME AN ALL TIMER....THAT IS WHAT WAS SAID.

I know it’s the end of the Beaver Full Moon, but what on earth did you find such umbrage in to use all caps?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2019, 07:46:14 PM »
Just to clarify one definition thing. What I mean by better chemistry, is a)that each kid on the team has a well defined role , b) everyone on the team respects each others role and and c) the availability of minutes with respect to their respective roles, gives each guy a chance to play enough to build confidence. Net result a team working together cohesively.

The good news about our superb team 3 point Shooting in the Non Conference is a benefit of the team being More Athletic and having better Chemistry. The guys are getting clean looks and the result is more makes. Everyone is getting plenty of minutes, embracing their roles and it shows in the productivity of the squad.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire