[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Brand new season, same old Wojo.  (Read 70913 times)

BM1090

• All American
Re: Brand new season, same old Wojo.
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2019, 12:23:23 AM »
I get the frustration but the "same tendencies" part makes no sense. In years 3 and 4 we were elite offensively and terrible defensively. The defense last year and so far this year has been good, and we'll almost certainly be better on offense than defense this year.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2019, 04:28:49 AM »
SOSDD.  Sorry to say.

And I know it's the first half but it's the same deficiencies we've endured for years now.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2019, 06:56:04 AM »
Doc, you were quick to jump and reply to this.  What, no praise for the team after this game?

Turned da sob off at halftime. Good ta cee Woj adjusted at half. Maebee ders hope, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2019, 07:01:55 AM »
What is going to happen when MU actually LOSES a game?   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2019, 07:05:20 AM »
What is going to happen when MU actually LOSES a game?

Willie Warrior will show up
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2019, 07:19:09 AM »
And their will be the same old wailing, gnashing of teeth, rending of garments and shaking of fists at the sky, grand pronouncements and threats.   Yawn.  This team is going to have a record similar to last year.   Just gonna get there differently.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2019, 07:35:23 AM »
I get the frustration but the "same tendencies" part makes no sense. In years 3 and 4 we were elite offensively and terrible defensively. The defense last year and so far this year has been good, and we'll almost certainly be better on offense than defense this year.

We still need work with perimeter on-ball defense.  Still a lot of blow by dribble penetration.  Was an issue 3-4 years ago and again last season. Much debate at the end of the year over Hauser's leaving and if their departure would be a plus on the defensive end, so there's recent history, too.

Second half rebounding got better but was terrible in first half. That's a repeat issue.

Pick and rolls, defending against Purdue's bigs was, in my opinion, a little shaky. Again, a legacy issue.

These are just some initial observations.

And for those out there who disagree, I am not new to the board. A hack of my accounts necessitated a new name, hence the "f/k/a" in front of my name.  I have well over 2,500 posts on this site if my memory serves me correctly.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2019, 07:39:19 AM »
IDK if those are Wojo issues or just the realities of basketball.  There's a reason that nearly every team has a pick'n roll offensive set.  There's a reason that CBB is a guards game.  Our rebounding was poor in the first half, but that second half defensive effort was probably the best under Wojo.  Improving an area that needing improving, seems like the thing a good coach does.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »

And for those out there who disagree, I am not new to the board. A hack of my accounts necessitated a new name, hence the "f/k/a" in front of my name.  I have well over 2,500 posts on this site if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for sticking around even after Marquette decided to hire wojo instead of your husband, Mrs. Howland.

MUMUMUMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2019, 07:46:35 AM »
Everyone, I hope I am totally wrong.

I lived through Bob Dukiet who damn near killed MU hoops, so I enjoy every win we get.  And I think those that share my experience would agree with my sentiment.

But what I saw tonight, I have seen before and that scares me in year 5 under Wojo. He should be better than this at this point.

Funny...your name is humanlung, but you have no human heart. Be better.
Conqueror of Evil

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2019, 07:50:02 AM »
We still need work with perimeter on-ball defense.  Still a lot of blow by dribble penetration.  Was an issue 3-4 years ago and again last season. Much debate at the end of the year over Hauser's leaving and if their departure would be a plus on the defensive end, so there's recent history, too.

Second half rebounding got better but was terrible in first half. That's a repeat issue.

Pick and rolls, defending against Purdue's bigs was, in my opinion, a little shaky. Again, a legacy issue.

Congrats on the 2500 posts buddy... You talk as if that should earn some respect. Grow up man.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2019, 07:51:08 AM »
I'm going to be honest here....

Great win for Mu.

But horrible game plan from wojo. A basic 4-1 with no switches or changes was the offensive mu ran. Great on kobe and Howard for working on it and making it happen. But seriously awful on zero changes besides howard and McEwen themselves.

That is false.  Went much more to a pick and roll offense with Koby up top in the second half.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2019, 07:53:02 AM »
X's and 0's are highly overrated.
Last night it was almost like wayching coach Wooden coach.
UCLA practiced and ran their stuff, no great need to change and make a lot of "adjustments".
Losers are not prepared, they have no plan so they keep changing their plan.
Winners like Vine Lombardi knew it is all about execution.
I don't ever recall watching MU make such a comeback, congratulations.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2019, 07:53:59 AM »

For someone with over 2,500 posts, I think you'd know not to go off the deep end before the third half of the entire season was played!  Was the team playing great the first half?  Obvious answer to that.  But to start a "same old Wojo" thread this early is asinine.
Best of luck with the move out of your Mom's basement.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MUMUMUMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2019, 08:02:48 AM »

After 2,500 posts, still the same old humanlung. Shocking.
Conqueror of Evil

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2019, 08:28:22 AM »

You say our perimeter on ball defense is a legacy issue but last season we were the top defensive team in the Big East. Per synergy our points per possession allowed against isolation plays was in the 86th percentile of all D1 teams.

You say rebounding is a legacy issue but we were one of the top rebounding teams in the Big East last season and we just matched one of the best rebounding teams in the country...without our 7 footer!

You say pick and roll defense is a legacy issue but per synergy last season our points per possession allowed against pick and roll ball handlers was in the 70th percentile and against pick and roll rollers was in the 75th percentile.

What I think I might be happening is that you expect perfect basketball. You see 1 bad half of rebounding, or one defensive lapse against the pick and roll and you start screaming about "legacy issues" because you've seen them before. There not legacy issues, they are issues that every team has from time to time.  That stats don't support what you are saying at all.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2019, 08:32:26 AM »

2003 at Louisville. That’s the only one I can think of in my time.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
Congrats on the 2500 posts buddy... You talk as if that should earn some respect. Grow up man.

I'm being accused if being a troll. Thought I should point it out.

Sorry it was so upsetting to you and worthy of special note.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2019, 08:42:52 AM »
You say our perimeter on ball defense is a legacy issue but last season we were the top defensive team in the Big East. Per synergy our points per possession allowed against isolation plays was in the 86th percentile of all D1 teams.

You say rebounding is a legacy issue but we were one of the top rebounding teams in the Big East last season and we just matched one of the best rebounding teams in the country...without our 7 footer!

You say pick and roll defense is a legacy issue but per synergy last season our points per possession allowed against pick and roll ball handlers was in the 70th percentile and against pick and roll rollers was in the 75th percentile.

What I think I might be happening is that you expect perfect basketball. You see 1 bad half of rebounding, or one defensive lapse against the pick and roll and you start screaming about "legacy issues" because you've seen them before. There not legacy issues, they are issues that every team has from time to time.  That stats don't support what you are saying at all.

You said this before I could, TAMU.

This is not a great Marquette team but it has an opportunity to be a good one. Our guys will have stretches of incompetence, and also stretches of outstanding play. Of course, all that is the case for most teams.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »
I'm being accused if being a troll. Thought I should point it out.

Sorry it was so upsetting to you and worthy of special note.

Yeah, calling you a troll is giving you too much credit - trolls intentionally make stupid posts to annoy people.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2019, 08:45:00 AM »

TAMU, in many respects, you are right. I would take issue with the Big East stats, tho.  Last year the BE was weak, so might not accurately reflect the actual improvement.  That, however, is speculation on my part.

The evidence in the BE tournament and the short stay in the NCAA tournament showed a very different story.

My frustration is that some coaches - O'Neil and Buzz come to mind - get every ounce of effort and talent from their teams.  Others have great talent, knock on the door of real success but never win the big one (Digger, maybe?).  I worry that Wojo is the worst kind, can recruit all kinds of talent but does just enough to not get fired.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2019, 08:46:12 AM »

Turned da sob off at halftime. Good ta cee Woj adjusted at half. Maebee ders hope, hey?

This worked out perfectly for you, Doc.

You got to see our guys play poorly in the first half and then you went to bed, letting you have sweet dreams about the failures of the coach you want to fail.

In doing so, you didn't subject yourself to an outstanding half of basketball under the coach you want to fail.

Congrats!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2019, 08:50:31 AM »

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2019, 08:54:38 AM »
X's and 0's are highly overrated.
Last night it was almost like wayching coach Wooden coach.
UCLA practiced and ran their stuff, no great need to change and make a lot of "adjustments".
Losers are not prepared, they have no plan so they keep changing their plan.
Winners like Vine Lombardi knew it is all about execution.

UCLA out-talented everyone in a different era.  And Wooden was a great X's and O's coach. He won with great big men, with no big men, any combination.

And Al doesn't win in '77 without Hank doing X's and O's.  That had been well established, even by Al if i remember correctly.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2019, 08:59:38 AM »
TAMU, in many respects, you are right. I would take issue with the Big East stats, tho.  Last year the BE was weak, so might not accurately reflect the actual improvement.  That, however, is speculation on my part.

The evidence in the BE tournament and the short stay in the NCAA tournament showed a very different story.

So you're going to disregard the stats using a large sample size and then try to use the stats in a three game sample size to prove your "legacy" point?

Welcome to the internet.

feedback