[Today at 07:54:34 PM]

Where is Marquette? by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Upsets! / Surprise results.  (Read 145519 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Upsets! / Surprise results.
« Reply #675 on: February 05, 2020, 10:12:04 PM »
Vandy is 0-8 in the Sec.....LSU is 8-0

Vandy leading 97-90 with 37 seconds left......

muguru

• All American
« Reply #676 on: February 05, 2020, 10:13:31 PM »
Not really a “surprise” per se, but the badgers are getting smacked by 20 late in the game @ Minnesota.

It really pisses me off that they have totally lucked out some games this year, or their season would look a whole lot different right now. As it is, people have them safely in the NCAA's. I'm not so sure that's the case. They are only 3 games over .500. What might work in their favor is they have like 4 of their final 6 at home, where...they have gotten some awfully lucky wins this year. Maryland comes right to mind, MSU last week as well. Hopefully Ohio State takes them behind the woodshed on Sunday.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:26:14 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #677 on: February 05, 2020, 10:16:28 PM »

Vanderbilt had set an SEC record with 26 straight conference losses ... until tonight.

Might not be quite as big an upset as Evansville over Kentucky at Lexington ... but a pretty freakin' huge upset!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #678 on: February 05, 2020, 10:16:44 PM »

And Vandy is a sub .500 team, and had lost 26 (?) straight SEC games.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #679 on: February 05, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »
It really pisses me off that they have totally lucked out some games this year, or their season would look a whole lot different right now. As it is, people have them safely in the NCAA's. I'm not so sure that's the case. They are only 3 games over .500. What might work in their favor is they have like 4 of their final 6 at home, where...they have gotten some awfully lucky wins this year. Maryland comes right to mind, MSU last week as well. Hopefully Ohi syate takes them behind the woodshed on Sunday.
? Wisconsin has like 6 Q1 wins.
The reason people are saying they are safely in the tourney is because they are.

WhoaJoe2020

• All American
« Reply #680 on: February 05, 2020, 11:38:14 PM »
The reason people are saying they are safely in the tourney is because they are.

If the Baggers go 3-5 to end the season, they would have a 16-15 record. That would be the lowest number of wins, the highest number of losses, and the worst overall record to get an at large bid under the most recent RPI formula from 2005.

4-4 gets them to 17-14 and ties for the lowest number of wins, the highest number of losses, and would also be the worst overall record to get an at large bid since the 2005 changes.

Would their Q1 wins carry enough weight to get them in under those scenarios??
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:41:21 PM by WhoaJoe2020 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #681 on: February 06, 2020, 03:40:25 AM »
If the Baggers go 3-5 to end the season, they would have a 16-15 record. That would be the lowest number of wins, the highest number of losses, and the worst overall record to get an at large bid under the most recent RPI formula from 2005.

4-4 gets them to 17-14 and ties for the lowest number of wins, the highest number of losses, and would also be the worst overall record to get an at large bid since the 2005 changes.

2nd scenario, I would say yes. First scenario? It would definitely be breaking new ground but I think it is possible. 11 Big Ten teams are currently projected to make the tournament in the Bracketmatrix with a 12th in the first four out. If KenPom picked the field, 12 Big 10 would get at large bids. They are going to beat each other up and it's going to result in a few teams with really ugly records but really sexy computer numbers. It will be interesting to see how the committee deals with the B1G this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #682 on: February 06, 2020, 06:46:15 AM »

Unfortunately, yes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #683 on: February 06, 2020, 07:21:59 AM »
2nd scenario, I would say yes. First scenario? It would definitely be breaking new ground but I think it is possible. 11 Big Ten teams are currently projected to make the tournament in the Bracketmatrix with a 12th in the first four out. If KenPom picked the field, 12 Big 10 would get at large bids. They are going to beat each other up and it's going to result in a few teams with really ugly records but really sexy computer numbers. It will be interesting to see how the committee deals with the B1G this season.

Agree. It would be unchartered territory, and the results -- and any explanations given on Selection Sunday -- will be fascinating. We will get a look at how much committee members accept NET and such as gospel.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #684 on: February 06, 2020, 07:27:31 AM »
104 points and 19 made 3s for Purdue.......lol

Even Tommy Luce (i.e., their Rob Frozena) had a couple three pointers.  Like most schools, they love their "human victory cigar." You could hear them chanting for him with about 5-6 minutes left in the game.

He's actually a pretty funny guy who has taken a page out of Mark Titus's book and really embraced the role. His Gettin' Loose with Tommy Luce videos are crowd favorites.

Gettin' Loose with Tommy Luce
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 07:30:30 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #685 on: February 06, 2020, 07:27:54 AM »

You sure?? What if their overall record is .500?? OUT Or even a game or two over. Only one team in the history of the NCAA's has made the tourney 2 games or less above .500 and that was a Georgia team that played an unprecedented non conf schedule.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #686 on: February 06, 2020, 08:03:51 AM »
As it is, people have them safely in the NCAA's. I'm not so sure that's the case. They are only 3 games over .500.
...as it is

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #687 on: February 06, 2020, 08:05:35 AM »
And Vandy is a sub .500 team, and had lost 26 (?) straight SEC games.

Bryce Drew inherited an NCAA team and made NCAA’s, 10 league wins first year, then 6, then 0. Then fired. His two 5 star recruits suffered major injuries (Darius Garland, Simi craptu) and they never recovered. New AD Malcolm Turner fires Drew w/o meeting w/him. Some thought Drew should be given more time, others thought team quit on him.

Turner hires Jerry Stackhouse, NBA assistant, G league head coach, with a rep for player development. First season, Aaron Nesmith, country’s leading 3 point shooter and one of the country’s best scorers, injured and out for season prior to league play. Much improved and Vandy’s front court player Clevon Brown, also got injured during this season and is out for the year. If you watch them play, Stack can coach. He’s learning some other things but he understands player development and x’s and o’s well.

Will Wade had some interesting comments after the game saying some teams in their league are dying on the vine on offense but VU isn’t one of them. They run a lot of good sets, good spacing. Just need more depth, experience, bodies, shooters. Stack is showing he can coach. He will need to show he can recruit at a high level. They did land Myles Stute,
someone MU recruited. But they will need to close for 2021, 2022 players.  Nesmith, a Drew recruit had been top 20 mock drafts and is not likely to return. (He does enthusiastically sit on bench for games) David Grace had a good recruiting rep. Needs one more
recruiter on staff.

Oh and by the way, that AD Malcolm Turner, was fired this week. Candice Storey Lee is interim AD. She is popular former VU hooper and 20 year member of their Athletic Dept. First African American female AD in SEC. It’s all quite interesting.

LSU? They can score, have length......but they are well into the 100’s in several defensive categories. They are not a good defensive team.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #688 on: February 06, 2020, 08:20:19 AM »

Even Tommy Luce (i.e., their Rob Frozena) had a couple three pointers.  Like most schools, they love their "human victory cigar." You could hear them chanting for him with about 5-6 minutes left in the game.

He's actually a pretty funny guy who has taken a page out of Mark Titus's book and really embraced the role. His Gettin' Loose with Tommy Luce videos are crowd favorites.

Gettin' Loose with Tommy Luce

Thanks.  This made my morning.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #689 on: February 06, 2020, 08:45:23 AM »

This is great
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #690 on: February 06, 2020, 09:52:11 PM »
During USC-AZ game, Bill Walton just said about USC's defense:  "Trojans are all about protection."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #691 on: February 06, 2020, 09:59:32 PM »
During USC-AZ game, Bill Walton just said about USC's defense:  "Trojans are all about protection."

It sounds like he was ribbing them.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #692 on: February 06, 2020, 10:17:50 PM »

He does have a reservoir of good stories.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #693 on: February 06, 2020, 10:52:09 PM »
Does this actually make any semblance of sense as a joke? I get what you're saying but like it doesnt even fit. It's like me saying"hes advocating the team wears rain jackets after the game".

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #694 on: February 07, 2020, 07:23:09 AM »
Does this actually make any semblance of sense as a joke? I get what you're saying but like it doesnt even fit. It's like me saying"hes advocating the team wears rain jackets after the game".

??

tower912

• All American
« Reply #695 on: February 07, 2020, 07:55:13 AM »
Of all the things we complain about, when the rubber hits the road, do we really need to stand in condomnation of this?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:06:39 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #696 on: February 07, 2020, 07:59:51 AM »
Arizona saw, they conquered, they came. I just hope the Trojans put up enough of a barrier.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #697 on: February 07, 2020, 08:05:58 AM »
Many teams would have simply pulled out. The Trojans stayed in the battle til the end
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #698 on: February 07, 2020, 08:06:10 AM »
The Trojans can really penetrate on offense
Maigh Eo for Sam

Mods, Delete me please. 8/26/2020

• Team Captain
« Reply #699 on: February 07, 2020, 08:10:49 AM »
I was expecting Arizona would cream the Trojans