[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: OT: Chicago people, Kirkwoods now a Marquette Bar  (Read 12746 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
OT: Chicago people, Kirkwoods now a Marquette Bar
« on: November 11, 2019, 02:35:52 PM »
Found this out on opening night. Went there to watch the game and they had drink specials for Marquette. Manager is one of the former Schoolyard managers and a Marquette grad. I plan on going there to watch the Marquette/Wisconsin game this weekend.

Seems schoolyard really isn't a Marquette bar since the purchase by Link's.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MKEblue

• Walk-On
Re: OT: Chicago people, Kirkwoods now a Marquette Bar
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
Did they have the sound on for the game in the bar or just on the TV? Deciding between Kirkwoods and Schoolyard for Sundays game and remember Schoolyard usually pumps in the sound but that was a year or two ago!

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 03:58:58 PM »
https://kirkwoodbar.com/#events

Featuring $25 blue fishbowls and $5 jello shots during MU games.   Looks like it's also a Hoosier bar.

The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 04:20:44 PM »
Found this out on opening night. Went there to watch the game and they had drink specials for Marquette. Manager is one of the former Schoolyard managers and a Marquette grad. I plan on going there to watch the Marquette/Wisconsin game this weekend.

Seems schoolyard really isn't a Marquette bar since the purchase by Link's.

Schoolyard is definitely still a Marquette bar but I can't speak to how the gamedsy experience has changed. Plus it'll be competing with the NFL.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 05:49:15 PM »
Schoolyard is definitely still a Marquette bar but I can't speak to how the gamedsy experience has changed. Plus it'll be competing with the NFL.

Schoolyard was noncommittal when I called about opening game and showing it. Kirkwoods did not have sound during the IU game but there is very little overlap

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »
Schoolyard was noncommittal when I called about opening game and showing it. Kirkwoods did not have sound during the IU game but there is very little overlap

Maybe your right. Might have been who you talked to or the channel it was on. There are Marquette flags inside and out.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 06:06:48 PM »
I hope its more like Schoolyard of 5+ years ago, and less like Four Shadows, which was an Iowa bar that flew Marquette flag and pandered to that crowd for any basketball event when Iowa was sucking at basketball.  Or even worse, Will's Northwoods which during basketball season would try to be your coworker who said they rooted for both Marquette and Wisconsin cause they liked to "support all state teams", even though it was Wisconsin as they come.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 06:16:47 PM »
I hope its more like Schoolyard of 5+ years ago, and less like Four Shadows, which was an Iowa bar that flew Marquette flag and pandered to that crowd for any basketball event when Iowa was sucking at basketball.  Or even worse, Will's Northwoods which during basketball season would try to be your coworker who said they rooted for both Marquette and Wisconsin cause they liked to "support all state teams", even though it was Wisconsin as they come.

The only good quality about Will’s is the $3.25 MGD bottles every day.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 06:25:46 PM »
The only good quality about Will’s is the $3.25 MGD bottles every day.

It's also the only bar in Chicago that I can think of that plays beer dice.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »

Four Shadows was a decent MU bar for about 2-3 years...the Sweet 16 Buzz years (2011-2013 ish). Went there for the Sweet 16 game against Miami to get us into the Elite 8 and the place was absolutely rocking. Great experience.

After MU went downhill, a lot of the Chicago bars' enthusiasm faded away. If we can return to that level of play, I'm sure it will pick up. They are running a business.

Schoolyard is not what it used to be. They might show the game when there is no conflict, but probably not with sound. I would not consider it an MU bar at all anymore. Glad Kirkwood is at least showing some interest.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 03:55:30 PM by Coleman »

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 04:01:34 PM »
Four Shadows was a decent MU bar for about 2-3 years...the Sweet 16 Buzz years (2011-2013 ish). Went there for the Sweet 16 game against Miami to get us into the Elite 8 and the place was absolutely rocking. Great experience.

After MU went downhill, a lot of the Chicago bars' enthusiasm faded away. If we can return to that level of play, I'm sure it will pick up. They are running a business.

Schoolyard is not what it used to be. They might show the game when there is no conflict, but probably not with sound. I would not consider it an MU bar at all anymore. Glad Kirkwood is at least showing some interest.

I agree with Four Shadows. I do live like a block away, so I might be biased, but I watched the tourney there during the Buzz years and it was definitely nice and rowdy. I was also at Schoolyard last year for the Wisconsin game and it was empty.  I think we should all just agree to stick to Four Shadows and Kirkwood now. I did watch a Thursday day game with Wes Mathews at the schoolyard once though not too long ago, which was pretty awesome, so it still has advantages of people thinking it's still the marquette bar.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:06:14 PM by kryza »

kryza

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 04:03:51 PM »
I did an oopsie

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 06:27:44 PM »
I agree with Four Shadows. I do live like a block away, so I might be biased, but I watched the tourney there during the Buzz years and it was definitely nice and rowdy. I was also at Schoolyard last year for the Wisconsin game and it was empty.  I think we should all just agree to stick to Four Shadows and Kirkwood now. I did watch a Thursday day game with Wes Mathews at the schoolyard once though not too long ago, which was pretty awesome, so it still has advantages of people thinking it's still the marquette bar.

I watched the Marquette-Syracuse game to go to the S16 in 2011 there.  It was fun.  But I tried to go there for other games and it was eh.

Agree with Schoolyard, they started to slide more towards U of I and that was that.  I watched a lot of games with nice MU crowds there, but I can remember a lot of painful losses, so maybe good riddance.  Kirkwoods always felt up for grabs, so it would be nice if that could become a stronghold coinciding with the program getting back on track.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 06:52:51 PM »
I watched the Marquette-Syracuse game to go to the S16 in 2011 there.  It was fun.  But I tried to go there for other games and it was eh.

Agree with Schoolyard, they started to slide more towards U of I and that was that.  I watched a lot of games with nice MU crowds there, but I can remember a lot of painful losses, so maybe good riddance.  Kirkwoods always felt up for grabs, so it would be nice if that could become a stronghold coinciding with the program getting back on track.

As I said, the person who got it to be a Marquette bar was stoked I was there for the Loyola game. He's an MU grad as well. If we fill it, we can get it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 07:14:37 PM »
As I said, the person who got it to be a Marquette bar was stoked I was there for the Loyola game. He's an MU grad as well. If we fill it, we can get it.

Sounds like something to say in the mirror before heading to the bar...

But seriously I used to like Kirkwoods, their beer garden is solid but I just don't see it. They're so entrenched with Nebraska and IU that I don't see us fitting in. Maybe third option? But even then I'd wonder if they'd put a Pro game over us (not this year as everyone is complete trash).
Maigh Eo for Sam

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 05:12:20 PM »
All yall are forgetting about Old Town Pub on Wells, just North of Division!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 05:27:46 PM »
All yall are forgetting about Old Town Pub on Wells, just North of Division!

What?  Since when.  I lived 100 yards away on Scott for 3 years and then around the corner at Lasalle and Division and all I know OTP for was Natural Light bottles in an ice chest and my friends liked their pizza.  I never knew them to have any affiliation period.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »
What?  Since when.  I lived 100 yards away on Scott for 3 years and then around the corner at Lasalle and Division and all I know OTP for was Natural Light bottles in an ice chest and my friends liked their pizza.  I never knew them to have any affiliation period.

I think that was a last year thing. While I was gone friends told me they went there for games.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 07:52:18 PM »
I always go to Cortland's Garage. I don't like going east of Ashland. People scare me in that part of the city.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »
I always go to Cortland's Garage. I don't like going east of Ashland. People scare me in that part of the city.

You serious, Clark?

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2019, 08:13:14 PM »

I live at Lasalle and Chicago, and I noticed the flag last year. Went in for a game, was fun.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2019, 08:13:34 PM »

OK boomer.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2019, 12:23:35 PM »
Happy to report that I am at Old Town Pub on Wells in Chicago and it is packed with MU people. All TVs are MU!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2019, 12:53:54 PM »
Happy to report that I am at Old Town Pub on Wells in Chicago and it is packed with MU people. All TVs are MU!

Good to know.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »

Jeez, I move and one year later it becomes a MU hotspot. Bummer. Trekked up to Schoolyard too often from Old Town