[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference BET Results  (Read 321564 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1675 on: February 08, 2020, 08:09:06 PM »
X 39 Cooley & Company 38 14:55 left second.

X needs to defend home court to maintain a chance for tournament
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1676 on: February 08, 2020, 09:10:47 PM »
Palpable hypocrisy

Hypocrisy?? Their FACTS. You're a youngin yet Johnny Boy...hopefully one day you'll learn. There's time son.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1677 on: February 08, 2020, 09:15:38 PM »
Hypocrisy?? Their FACTS. You're a youngin yet Johnny Boy...hopefully one day you'll learn. There's time son.

“They are facts”

Should have gotten a Marquette education
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: February 08, 2020, 09:16:21 PM »
I find it hilarious. It exposes the goofy people's reaction to a single game. Keep it comin

Those single games that you don't seem to think matter one iota, loom large by season's end. Almost every single time, in every sport. MU beats that crap PC team(they are 13-11 nw BTW) at home, how different would things look for MU right now?? SIGNIFICANTLY different. Two games out of 1st, instead of 3 is a massive difference at this point in the year. Not too mention the ffect it MAY have on their seeding for the BET, the NCAA tourney etc. It matters...it matters a lot. In time, when you get older, you'll see it more clearly I hope.

Until then, you keep doing you and thinking losses(especially to CRAP teams at home) don't matter. What a way to go through life.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: February 08, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »
“They are facts”

Should have gotten a Marquette education

Why don't you grow up son...your generation is part of why this world is the way it is today...offended by everything, everything has to be fair for everyone.  Tell us what we do don't have to accept. It disgusts me. You must be so proud.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: February 08, 2020, 09:22:32 PM »
Why don't you grow up son...your generation is part of why this world is the way it is today...offended by everything, everything has to be fair for everyone.  Tell us what we do don't have to accept. It disgusts me. You must be so proud.

You sound like a snowflake
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1681 on: February 08, 2020, 09:24:08 PM »
Big win for X in hard fought battle with Cooley & Company.  Tyrique Jones coming on strong .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: February 08, 2020, 09:26:31 PM »
Put the bottle down dad

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1683 on: February 08, 2020, 09:27:04 PM »
Big win for X in hard fought battle with Cooley & Company.  Tyrique Jones coming on strong .

Another year where Cooley and Company can’t play offense.  114th in KenPom on offense.  Shaping up as the 4th straight year in the 100’s for them. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1684 on: February 08, 2020, 09:27:08 PM »
YES WE DO! Cause ners says so. So yes. 🥴

It has become “don’t look at other optics. Only look at negatives!”

Yup....only their optics count....only their storyline of irrational table slamming because if we don’t win every game.  Hysterical
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1685 on: February 08, 2020, 09:28:11 PM »
Another year where Cooley and Company can’t play offense.  114th in KenPom on offense.  Shaping up as the 4th straight year in the 100’s for them.
Cooley  needs to be recruiting some 3 point shooters .
                       ---Al McGuire

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: February 08, 2020, 09:31:11 PM »

But ones who finally go cold only against MU for a change.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1687 on: February 08, 2020, 09:31:25 PM »

You got that right.  305th in effective fg% this year is no bueno.  Other than 2017, they’ve been a terrible shooting team.  He’s done great work there but that’s been a flaw

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: February 08, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
Those single games that you don't seem to think matter one iota, loom large by season's end. Almost every single time, in every sport. MU beats that crap PC team(they are 13-11 nw BTW) at home, how different would things look for MU right now?? SIGNIFICANTLY different. Two games out of 1st, instead of 3 is a massive difference at this point in the year. Not too mention the ffect it MAY have on their seeding for the BET, the NCAA tourney etc. It matters...it matters a lot. In time, when you get older, you'll see it more clearly I hope.

Until then, you keep doing you and thinking losses(especially to CRAP teams at home) don't matter. What a way to go through life.
What you dont get Is virtually every damn team suffers one or more "bad" losses every year. Teams have off games just the way it is. The providence loss wasn't good but absolutely not something to lose our minds about. You just freak out and complain to no end over that one loss. We have one home loss. We win tommor and we are ranked and a projected 5 seed. People give you crap because your reactions are just silly and over the top sometimes. Marquette is in a good position right now with potential to make some serious noise going forward. Just freaking chill pal

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: February 08, 2020, 09:41:54 PM »
Does this really have to happen every time a very accomplished coach loses? 

In my opinion, it doesn't help to make any point regarding Wojo to compare him to coaches that have multiple Final Fours and National Championships on their resumes. 

Jay Wright has more NCs than Wojo has Tourney wins.  How are they comparable at all?

That's kind of the point, isn't it?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: February 08, 2020, 09:45:49 PM »
SMH, this gets so exhausting reading this every single time a Coach loses a game. Look, you're going to counter with "it gets equally exhausting reading fire Wojo after every loss". Me personally, I have said numerous times, my biggest issue is losing games at home against teams you should absolutely beat. like Providence. If you think this is exclusive to MU fans and this board, I suggest you "get out more" and read other message boards. In fact, I was on the Memphis board earlier...and guess what?? They went Penny gone, and have said that it is INEXCUSABLE to lose games at home to South Florida, SMU and Georgia. All teams they feel they should have/and expected to beat at home.

Go visit the Indiana board and see what they are saying about losing to Purdue at home today( a team that couldn't win a road game to save their life this year). It goes on everywhere Mike.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, there is nothing that makes me more pissed off following my favorite teams then when they drop a game at home to someone they had no business losing to. Because almost inevitably it ends up costing you something significant at the end of the year. It's uncanny, how it's correlated. Just one quick example from this very season in the NFL...The Packers only home loss this year was to the Eagles, a team that had no business walking into Lambeau and winning. I was pissed, I knew at the time it would cost them something significant..Lo and behold..guess what?? They win that game, they play the NFC Championship game at home instead of in SF.

You're a Coach, so you should know this, but ask any Coach in any sport, and they will tell you the #1 most important thing you can do is win games at home. Especially against teams you have no business losing to. Now you will say (it happens...Duke vs SFA). Sure, it happens, but me personally, I couldn't care less about who else loses to who on their home floor/field. It does NOTHING to make me say "oh well then that Excuses the Packers or MU for losing that game at home to (insert crap opponent). I want my teams to be better than that.

It is 100% complete fallacy and not even possible to do when people say "well, they just have to get that back on the road somewhere". Doesn't work like that. Once you lose a game at home, there isn't anything you can do to "make up for it". Nothing, it's gone. It's like people who say "I gotta catch up on some sleep". That's an impossibility, once you lose it, there's no "catching up" or getting it back.

Had MU not lost that game at home to PC...where would they be right now?? 6-3 and with a win tomorrow, in 2nd place, and only two games behind Hall for 1st...that's doable. But instead, they are tied for third currently and 3 games behind Hall...a significant difference.

So yes, losing games at home to teams you have ZERO business losing to is maddening, frustrating and it infuriates me(and obviously fans from other schools to). Again, it will almost always end up costing you something by the end of the year.

Guru:

Johnny B

• All American

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: February 08, 2020, 10:16:10 PM »
SMH, this gets so exhausting reading this every single time a Coach loses a game. Look, you're going to counter with "it gets equally exhausting reading fire Wojo after every loss". Me personally, I have said numerous times, my biggest issue is losing games at home against teams you should absolutely beat. like Providence. If you think this is exclusive to MU fans and this board, I suggest you "get out more" and read other message boards. In fact, I was on the Memphis board earlier...and guess what?? They went Penny gone, and have said that it is INEXCUSABLE to lose games at home to South Florida, SMU and Georgia. All teams they feel they should have/and expected to beat at home.

Go visit the Indiana board and see what they are saying about losing to Purdue at home today( a team that couldn't win a road game to save their life this year). It goes on everywhere Mike.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, there is nothing that makes me more pissed off following my favorite teams then when they drop a game at home to someone they had no business losing to. Because almost inevitably it ends up costing you something significant at the end of the year. It's uncanny, how it's correlated. Just one quick example from this very season in the NFL...The Packers only home loss this year was to the Eagles, a team that had no business walking into Lambeau and winning. I was pissed, I knew at the time it would cost them something significant..Lo and behold..guess what?? They win that game, they play the NFC Championship game at home instead of in SF.

You're a Coach, so you should know this, but ask any Coach in any sport, and they will tell you the #1 most important thing you can do is win games at home. Especially against teams you have no business losing to. Now you will say (it happens...Duke vs SFA). Sure, it happens, but me personally, I couldn't care less about who else loses to who on their home floor/field. It does NOTHING to make me say "oh well then that Excuses the Packers or MU for losing that game at home to (insert crap opponent). I want my teams to be better than that.

It is 100% complete fallacy and not even possible to do when people say "well, they just have to get that back on the road somewhere". Doesn't work like that. Once you lose a game at home, there isn't anything you can do to "make up for it". Nothing, it's gone. It's like people who say "I gotta catch up on some sleep". That's an impossibility, once you lose it, there's no "catching up" or getting it back.

Had MU not lost that game at home to PC...where would they be right now?? 6-3 and with a win tomorrow, in 2nd place, and only two games behind Hall for 1st...that's doable. But instead, they are tied for third currently and 3 games behind Hall...a significant difference.

So yes, losing games at home to teams you have ZERO business losing to is maddening, frustrating and it infuriates me(and obviously fans from other schools to). Again, it will almost always end up costing you something by the end of the year.

Wow ... there's a lot in there, guru, and I'm not gonna go point by point because my brain would explode. But here's 3 things:

1. We are 11-1 at home. Eleven wins including several excellent ones. And yet all you can do is focus on the 1 loss. Do you watch college basketball? Have you seen some of the home games that great programs, bluebloods, have been losing this season? Oy.

2. I am not gonna waste my time reading other teams' boards. I can't stomach this board after a loss because people are out of their minds, and even winning 5 of our last 6 hasn't pleased some Scoopers. In my first point above, I asked if you have seen other teams' home losses. In the past, you have responded along the lines that you don't care about other teams, you only care about what Marquette does. OK ... so why on earth would you care what idiots on other teams' fan boards have to say? That's the justification you are giving for obsessing about our 1 home loss - that Memphis fans are morons and that Hoosier fans are insane?

3. The Providence game was more than a month ago. Get the eff over it! I promise you, Wojo and the team have moved on, and it's not because they care less than some interwebs guy who goes by muguru does. It's because that's what true competitors do. Yes, I coach. And what's most important to me after a loss isn't obsessing about it for weeks but saying, "OK, now we're 1-3 and we face some adversity; how will we respond?" Well, guru, I love the way our Warriors have responded, competing like crazy and winning 5 of 6 games. Rather than obsess about a loss that took place forever ago, you should be bursting with Warrior pride about how your team has responded. Jeesh.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: February 08, 2020, 10:28:49 PM »
What you dont get Is virtually every damn team suffers one or more "bad" losses every year. Teams have off games just the way it is. The providence loss wasn't good but absolutely not something to lose our minds about. You just freak out and complain to no end over that one loss. We have one home loss. We win tommor and we are ranked and a projected 5 seed. People give you crap because your reactions are just silly and over the top sometimes. Marquette is in a good position right now with potential to make some serious noise going forward. Just freaking chill pal

Okay, as far as every team suffering one bad loss every year...let's use Duke's loss to SFA as an example..they don't lose many games over the course of a season, certainly not as many as a school like MU and others do. By the end of the year, they will still be a 1 seed most likely, so no harm no foul for them. But when you're a school like MU, your margin for error is thin. When we look back at the end of the regular season...what if the following scenario(s) play out...what if it turns out MU finishes one game behind S Hall for the BE title?? Then how big does that home loss to a crap team look??

What if..they end up in a 4 way tie with say Creighton, Butler, and PC and because of tie breakers they get the 7 seed and have to play on Wednesday of the BET likely severely diminishing their chances of making the BE semi final or finals?? Where as had they won that home gamer against Providence, they wouldn't have been involved in the tiebreaker.

What if that PC loss at home, costs them a seed line, or even a spot or two on the S curve, thus giving them a tougher matchup in the NCAA's??

It's things like this that I get so upset when it happens...because it's costly, one way or another. That's just reality.

Again, I have said this before, but I will say it again and it's not to be a jag off or anything, but what other schools do on their home floor doesn't concern me any way, shape or form. Say what you want about it, and that's fine, but just because Duke loses a game at home they shouldn't, or MSU does or whoever it is..doesn't make me feel any better about it when it happens to MU. It's still not ok, even if it happens to others. I want/expect MU to be better than that. Just what it is. Remember when MU had the nation's longest home court winning streak?? I miss those days.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: February 08, 2020, 11:09:39 PM »
Okay, as far as every team suffering one bad loss every year...let's use Duke's loss to SFA as an example..they don't lose many games over the course of a season, certainly not as many as a school like MU and others do. By the end of the year, they will still be a 1 seed most likely, so no harm no foul for them. But when you're a school like MU, your margin for error is thin. When we look back at the end of the regular season...what if the following scenario(s) play out...what if it turns out MU finishes one game behind S Hall for the BE title?? Then how big does that home loss to a crap team look??

What if..they end up in a 4 way tie with say Creighton, Butler, and PC and because of tie breakers they get the 7 seed and have to play on Wednesday of the BET likely severely diminishing their chances of making the BE semi final or finals?? Where as had they won that home gamer against Providence, they wouldn't have been involved in the tiebreaker.

What if that PC loss at home, costs them a seed line, or even a spot or two on the S curve, thus giving them a tougher matchup in the NCAA's??

It's things like this that I get so upset when it happens...because it's costly, one way or another. That's just reality.

Again, I have said this before, but I will say it again and it's not to be a jag off or anything, but what other schools do on their home floor doesn't concern me any way, shape or form. Say what you want about it, and that's fine, but just because Duke loses a game at home they shouldn't, or MSU does or whoever it is..doesn't make me feel any better about it when it happens to MU. It's still not ok, even if it happens to others. I want/expect MU to be better than that. Just what it is. Remember when MU had the nation's longest home court winning streak?? I miss those days.

Why don't we wait and see how it plays out before stressing about it?

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #1695 on: February 08, 2020, 11:11:23 PM »

You should stop being a MU fan then because hate to break it to you, but essentially every season we will have one or more bad losses. The providence loss was not ok. Never said it was. I said it doesnt make or break the season. You have an off night and you move on. Learn from it. It can be overcome if you learn and continue to win games. You're scenarios dont even make sense because you ignore that every team has at least one tough loss. It typically balances out. What are you even complaining about? Is this season so bad you cant even be somewhat content about it. And maybe you're right one loss could cost them a seed line. Who the hell cares? Sometimes playing the 11 seed is easier than playing the 12. Teams lose games sometimes. Expecting zero bad losses is utterly crazy. I probably didnt formulate this post exactly how I wanted since I'm out but hopefully you get the what I'm trying to say here . We lost to green bay and made the elete 8.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 11:15:36 PM by Johnny B »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1696 on: February 08, 2020, 11:41:15 PM »
You should stop being a MU fan then because hate to break it to you, but essentially every season we will have one or more bad losses. The providence loss was not ok. Never said it was. I said it doesnt make or break the season. You have an off night and you move on. Learn from it. It can be overcome if you learn and continue to win games. You're scenarios dont even make sense because you ignore that every team has at least one tough loss. It typically balances out. What are you even complaining about? Is this season so bad you cant even be somewhat content about it. And maybe you're right one loss could cost them a seed line. Who the hell cares? Sometimes playing the 11 seed is easier than playing the 12. Teams lose games sometimes. Expecting zero bad losses is utterly crazy. I probably didnt formulate this post exactly how I wanted since I'm out but hopefully you get the what I'm trying to say here . We lost to green bay and made the elete 8.

I am somewhat content with it sure, but human nature being what it is, I cannot stop thinking about how different things would look right now for them if you change the PC game to a win as well as the Butler game. It stings.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: February 09, 2020, 12:33:07 AM »
Well that is definitely true, so fair enough.  But should making this place as obnoxious as possible be the goal?

Marquette could go undefeated for 3 years and this board would have "fire wojo" posts after the first loss.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1698 on: February 09, 2020, 01:23:11 AM »
I am somewhat content with it sure, but human nature being what it is, I cannot stop thinking about how different things would look right now for them if you change the PC game to a win as well as the Butler game. It stings.

But why don’t you shift it the other way...we have had wins that offset that loss.  Honestly Guru, you are being obsessive over a loss that was a long time ago...it’s a game. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
                       ---Al McGuire