[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Conference BET Results  (Read 321412 times)

Zephyr820

• Walk-On
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #975 on: December 24, 2019, 08:37:43 AM »
Pomeroy currently has it:

Team   
  • Butler   12-6
  • Villanova   11-7
  • Seton Hall   10-8
  • Xavier   10-8
  • Marquette   10-8
  • Georgetown   9-9
  • Creighton   9-9
  • DePaul   7-11
  • Providence   6-12
  • St. John's   6-12

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #976 on: December 24, 2019, 08:41:37 AM »
Impressive.  I’m prepared for scoop meltdowns, meat summit “I told you so’s”, and absolute elation during this conference season.  Will be a ton of fun.  Would take 10-8 now and a run in both tournaments.  Merry Christmas everybody!

Yup.  Bloodbath it will be.  Merry Christmas
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #977 on: December 24, 2019, 11:08:23 AM »
Also just for the record , rather than making an ad hominem attack, I will just say that no one knows how the math works because it has not been published.

It doesn't need to be to see the trends. The NET most closely mimics kenpom. When we beat K-State, many pointed out that our kenpom ranking improved by 6, but it actually only improved by 3 from our result. The results of our non-con opponents' games were so good that our ranking went up by 3 before we stepped on the court. That's the same reason our NET can have big changes when we don't even play.

That doesn't stop when conference play starts. The equation doesn't stop running because we're playing Big East teams. After all, leagues like the ACC & Big 10 have already started conference play.

I notice this more because I'm in these results all season long. If you're looking at one team or one league, it probably isn't as evident. When you spend the season evaluating 80-100 teams a couple times per week, it's clear how significant those games are and why St John's is in a more precarious position than other Big East teams regarding the NET, just like they were last year when they finished dead last out of the Butler/Providence/Xavier/Seton Hall group despite a far better non-con record.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #978 on: December 24, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
It doesn't need to be to see the trends. The NET most closely mimics kenpom. When we beat K-State, many pointed out that our kenpom ranking improved by 6, but it actually only improved by 3 from our result. The results of our non-con opponents' games were so good that our ranking went up by 3 before we stepped on the court. That's the same reason our NET can have big changes when we don't even play.

That doesn't stop when conference play starts. The equation doesn't stop running because we're playing Big East teams. After all, leagues like the ACC & Big 10 have already started conference play.

I notice this more because I'm in these results all season long. If you're looking at one team or one league, it probably isn't as evident. When you spend the season evaluating 80-100 teams a couple times per week, it's clear how significant those games are and why St John's is in a more precarious position than other Big East teams regarding the NET, just like they were last year when they finished dead last out of the Butler/Providence/Xavier/Seton Hall group despite a far better non-con record.

Agree.  RPI Forecast used to have a cool aspect on their website that showed the weighting of your score based on what every team you played did, and what their opponents did.  And what their opponents' opponents did.  Someday someone will do that for the NET.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Marquette.html    Scroll to bottom

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #979 on: December 24, 2019, 05:16:59 PM »

NET rankings are their own model . You have your interpretation of the rankings trends. My interpretation of the trends are  different.

We will see how the final NET rankings work out.

The good news is everyone in the league,except Providence is starting out with a decent NET going into conference play. So the opportunity to pick up Q1 wins is going to be available.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #980 on: December 24, 2019, 08:46:30 PM »
NET rankings are their own model . You have your interpretation of the rankings trends. My interpretation of the trends are  different.

We will see how the final NET rankings work out.

We don't have to. Like I said, look at St John's last year. Look at our change after the Maryland loss. It's not an interpretation of trends. It's looking at data that's already there.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #981 on: December 24, 2019, 08:50:57 PM »
We don't have to. Like I said, look at St John's last year. Look at our change after the Maryland loss. It's not an interpretation of trends. It's looking at data that's already there.
Don't waste your time Brew not worth it.
Goal is National Championship

fjm

• All American
« Reply #982 on: December 24, 2019, 10:18:56 PM »
“Interpretation” is not how math works.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #983 on: December 28, 2019, 09:53:43 AM »
Ewing and Associates, MU, Butler and Creighton all with cupcakes on the schedule today.  Winning is always good, helps momentum and builds optics. Also, it is nice to have a tune up before conference play.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #984 on: December 28, 2019, 10:09:24 AM »
Ewing and Associates, MU, Butler and Creighton all with cupcakes on the schedule today.  Winning is always good, helps momentum and builds optics. Also, it is nice to have a tune up before conference play.
Mostly a tuneup after the Christmas  week.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #985 on: December 28, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
American has made a comeback to lead Georgetown late in the 1st half.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #986 on: December 28, 2019, 11:54:53 AM »
Pomeroy is projecting UW-madison and K-State to have losing records for the year....K-state dead last at the moment.  Need these guys to help us a bit down the road.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #987 on: December 28, 2019, 12:38:04 PM »
Very real chance we are 0-2 to start conference play. Tough to win on the road and Nova is gonna be a challenge.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #988 on: December 28, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »

Do you do it for fun or for gambling purposes?

Or both?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #989 on: December 28, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
Very real chance we are 0-2 to start conference play. Tough to win on the road and Nova is gonna be a challenge.

Pomeroy has us projected to lose by 1 at Creighton, and win by 3 at home against Nova.  Hard to project this team...we have only one Top 50 win, and we will face a lot of Top 50 games in Big East.   #crapshoot

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #990 on: December 28, 2019, 01:03:43 PM »
Solid 20 point win for Ewing and Associates .
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #991 on: December 28, 2019, 01:33:47 PM »

1-3 also very possible

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #992 on: December 28, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »
Not sure if ya'll are aware but the BE is very deep and even this year.

Every game is a possible win or loss.

So why stop at the first 2 or 4?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #993 on: December 28, 2019, 02:06:06 PM »

Do you do it for fun or for gambling purposes?

Or both?

For the Cracked Sidewalks bracket articles.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #994 on: December 28, 2019, 02:26:57 PM »
Pomeroy is projecting UW-madison and K-State to have losing records for the year....K-state dead last at the moment.  Need these guys to help us a bit down the road.

Also had uw-madison as a 5 point dog at Tennessee today. They are murdering the Vols
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #995 on: December 28, 2019, 02:30:07 PM »
Also had uw-madison as a 5 point dog at Tennessee today. They are murdering the Vols

Vols have looked terrible. So many unforced turnovers.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #996 on: December 28, 2019, 02:30:20 PM »

Vols just lost their best player for the season last weekend,  Lamonte Bearden
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #997 on: December 28, 2019, 02:34:32 PM »
Vols just lost their best player for the season last weekend,  Lamonte Bearden Turner

FIFY

Neither WI nor TN are BE teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #998 on: December 28, 2019, 02:37:03 PM »
Vols just lost their best player for the season last weekend,  Lamonte Bearden

Turner (Bearden's real name) has been one of the worst shooters in all of college basketball. Just brutal.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #999 on: December 28, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »
FIFY

Neither WI nor TN are BE teams.

I knew I was going to make that mistake and I still did.  My bad
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”