2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big East Conference BET Results  (Read 324474 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #375 on: November 26, 2019, 10:54:43 PM »
This time last year I thought you were a decently smart individual. The past few months have proven otherwise, cemented by this statement

Awww.  I’m touched.  Why is it that I know you have no idea what I was referencing which was Buzz thrashing the Big East conference on his way out....thus my statement in how wrong he was about the Big East.  Smooch
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #376 on: November 26, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »
Butler win was a big confidence booster .  They have four more tough games on the non con schedule.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #377 on: November 26, 2019, 10:56:55 PM »
Fixed

Your statement is true as is mine.  Buzz was wrong...again. 

My charity will be  https://www.childrensdiabetesfoundation.org/
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #378 on: November 26, 2019, 11:01:05 PM »
Next challenge for DePaul is winning a road game at Minnesota.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #379 on: November 26, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »
Next challenge for DePaul is winning a road game at Minnesota.

Very winnable
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #380 on: November 26, 2019, 11:23:33 PM »
Well I had DePaul -12. Might be the most unlikely bet I've ever won.

I had this one too. What a crazy second half!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #381 on: November 27, 2019, 07:45:17 AM »
Seton Hall has a tough test tonight against undefeated 11th ranked Oregon at the Battle 4 for Atlantis.

---Al McGuire

source?

• All American
« Reply #382 on: November 27, 2019, 08:40:49 AM »
I really wish Seton Hall had challenged themselves this season.

Teal necessary?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #383 on: November 27, 2019, 09:32:38 AM »

Teal necessary?

I'll be honest...I hate their schedule. I would never want Marquette to schedule the way SHU did this year. With the top-end games, it feels likely they will come out with 3-4 non-con losses (at least 1 in Atlantis, probably 1-2 of the ISU/Rutgers/Maryland stretch) but their cupcakes all suck and will drag down their NCSOS. Give me lower-end marquee games and higher-end cupcakes every time. Likely end up with a similar SOS, but better odds of win quantity.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #384 on: November 27, 2019, 09:44:04 AM »
I'll be honest...I hate their schedule. I would never want Marquette to schedule the way SHU did this year. With the top-end games, it feels likely they will come out with 3-4 non-con losses (at least 1 in Atlantis, probably 1-2 of the ISU/Rutgers/Maryland stretch) but their cupcakes all suck and will drag down their NCSOS. Give me lower-end marquee games and higher-end cupcakes every time. Likely end up with a similar SOS, but better odds of win quantity.

It is definitely a bold/risky move.  As you say, if all balances out it may be better to have more wins w/ a more reasonable schedule.  But imagine if they can pull this off and stack up the wins?  It could be huge for SHU and in turn for the BE as well.   

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #385 on: November 27, 2019, 10:07:31 AM »
It is definitely a bold/risky move.  As you say, if all balances out it may be better to have more wins w/ a more reasonable schedule.  But imagine if they can pull this off and stack up the wins?  It could be huge for SHU and in turn for the BE as well.

It reminds me a ton of some of the Buzz schedules, especially his last year here. There were big opportunities against Ohio State, UW, and games away from home vs San Diego State, New Mexico, and ASU, but the balance of the schedule was crapcakes that dragged our NCSOS according to kenpom down to 205. So you end up with a bottom half SOS despite a ton of major opportunities.

Compare that to Villanova the same year. They only had 3 top-50 opponents (went 2-1 in those games) but of their seven home games against non-high-major teams, they played 3 top-130 teams and only one sub-250. That got them a top-100 NCSOS despite fewer games against top-tier competition.

Both teams played 7 home games, 3 neutral, and 3 away, but because 'Nova stacked quality cupcakes and minimized losing opportunities, their NCSOS was 118 spots higher. And while it could be argued "But 'Nova went 12-1 while MU went 8-5" that actually also plays into Nova's favor as those wins mean the teams they played generally fared worse than the teams Marquette played, so that only further emphasizes the quality of 'Nova's schedule.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #386 on: November 27, 2019, 10:18:05 AM »

Teal necessary?

MSU was Gavitt Games, this week is a tourney they were scheduled for a few years ago. Not really their choices in who they end up playing.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #387 on: November 27, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »
It reminds me a ton of some of the Buzz schedules, especially his last year here. There were big opportunities against Ohio State, UW, and games away from home vs San Diego State, New Mexico, and ASU, but the balance of the schedule was crapcakes that dragged our NCSOS according to kenpom down to 205. So you end up with a bottom half SOS despite a ton of major opportunities.

Compare that to Villanova the same year. They only had 3 top-50 opponents (went 2-1 in those games) but of their seven home games against non-high-major teams, they played 3 top-130 teams and only one sub-250. That got them a top-100 NCSOS despite fewer games against top-tier competition.

Both teams played 7 home games, 3 neutral, and 3 away, but because 'Nova stacked quality cupcakes and minimized losing opportunities, their NCSOS was 118 spots higher. And while it could be argued "But 'Nova went 12-1 while MU went 8-5" that actually also plays into Nova's favor as those wins mean the teams they played generally fared worse than the teams Marquette played, so that only further emphasizes the quality of 'Nova's schedule.

Makes sense, brewski.

I nominate you to the MU Scheduling Board!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #388 on: November 27, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »
Makes sense, brewski.

I nominate you to the MU Scheduling Board!

I was really not a fan of our scheduling for quite awhile and the first couple years under Wojo were ugly. Scheduling as much as performance cost us a postseason appearance in Henry's year here. This year's schedule is the best we've had under Wojo. There are legitimately challenging games, but all are in the winnable category, while the buy games are good enough to provide some challenge and against teams that will be good in their leagues which provides a nice SOS boost. Really smartly done.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #389 on: November 27, 2019, 02:54:00 PM »
I was really not a fan of our scheduling for quite awhile and the first couple years under Wojo were ugly. Scheduling as much as performance cost us a postseason appearance in Henry's year here. This year's schedule is the best we've had under Wojo. There are legitimately challenging games, but all are in the winnable category, while the buy games are good enough to provide some challenge and against teams that will be good in their leagues which provides a nice SOS boost. Really smartly done.

I honestly think all of your writing on the subject over the past few years has influenced the admin to schedule better. If that is indeed the case, thanks

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #390 on: November 27, 2019, 03:07:24 PM »
I honestly think all of your writing on the subject over the past few years has influenced the admin to schedule better. If that is indeed the case, thanks

Whatever has led to the improvement I'm grateful for. I think the biggest difference in how I view the schedule is that I look at it from the bottom up. While other people get excited for Kansas or Michigan State early, I don't really differentiate between high majors. Purdue, Davidson, & KSU is as good as MSU, Gonzaga, & UNC (better if you go 3-0).

But if you give me potential Q3 home games like NDSU & Loyola-Maryland instead of Chicago State & Alabama A&M, that's the quality that impacts seeding. Still in awe that we got a Q1A home game as a buy (Buffalo) last year. Those are the little things most fans won't notice but change seed lines in March.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #391 on: November 27, 2019, 09:04:02 PM »
Seton Hall up 8 with 8:21 left first
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #392 on: November 27, 2019, 09:13:00 PM »
The Hall and The Ducks tied 3:32 left first half

Powell chucking it
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #393 on: November 27, 2019, 09:22:00 PM »
The Hall up 4 at the half .

Oregon with some unsportsmanlike conduct.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #394 on: November 27, 2019, 09:41:43 PM »
The Hall up 13 17:28 left second

Powell got hot
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #395 on: November 27, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
Are they letting travels go at Atlantis? SHU has had three really egregious travels ignored, starting with the Powell 3 before the trip.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #396 on: November 27, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
The Hall up 16 15:10 left second

Powell on fire .

---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #397 on: November 27, 2019, 09:55:09 PM »
Hall up 57-41 13:42 left second
Powell 7 3s so far
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #398 on: November 27, 2019, 09:58:17 PM »
The Hall up 10 12 minutes left second half
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #399 on: November 27, 2019, 10:07:19 PM »
Oregon not going away, 60-55 SHU leads with 9 to play.

feedback