[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Deadspin  (Read 15310 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Deadspin
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2019, 07:30:33 AM »
God Bless America, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2019, 08:03:52 AM »
God Bless America, aina?

God Bless Bad America, apparently.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »
Annnnndddddd we’re off the rails.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »
The memory hole was hungry this morning.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2019, 09:47:01 AM »
The memory hole was hungry this morning.

Arby's needs to serve breakfast.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
But there is a skill to having a tone and message without bashing you over the head with it. I can read content from people all over the political spectrum as long as it’s entertaining and not ham fisted. Deadspin got ham fisted and whiny in my opinion. Leitch has a lot in common ideologically with the recent crop and Daluerio was actually slimy and deplorable in many ways, but they were entertaining and engaging content was king, that got lost. To think that Deadspin as it was before the recent acquisition was anything more than a reclamation project is revisionist history, IMO.

And I’ll fully agree Barstool lost control of the supporter crew. I can assure you a brand with the success they have doesn’t want 17 year olds calling people profanities and other demeaning names on their behalf. The loyalty and engagement that built them from a plucky underdog that they readily encouraged to go to bat for them got way out of control. They killed off their own comment section cause it got so bad.

And I’m interested to know who thinks Portnoy the civilian is a massive dbag. I’m not talking people who engaged him on content or went at him for various Barstool grievances.  I know 2 pizza owners in NYC, one that that wouldn’t know Barstool from Whirlpool, and the other who hated their Boston slant, who couldn’t speak more highly after they got contacted and did pizza reviews.

If you want to be a Stoolie and defend Dave Portnoy, that's fine with me. Really. But I also think it's easy enough to find plenty of people who know him and also dislike him (including former employees and business partners who've sued him).
But for the love of God, enough with the "Portnoy the civilian" nonsense. Portnoy the civilian and "El Presidente" who leads harassment campaigns online, threatens his critics, etc., are not two different people. It's the same guy. And your attempt to differentiate is simply a way to excuse his worst behavior. "Oh, well, that's not really Dave. That's El Prez."
Look, it's not all that unusual for a person to be friendly to his/her friends and supporters and support charitable causes. while also being an atrocious piece of sh-t to others.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »
The vast majority got the message and we were let in on what that was...as were other partners.  The players are not dumb, the player agents are really really not dumb, and neither is the league.  Honest question, are the actions anywhere close to what they were a few years ago by the players...do you believe that?  Do you believe ther were reasons why so much was pulled back in terms of their way of protesting?

This is false.

The NFL tried and failed. At least one active player is still taking a knee, collecting a large paycheck and facing absolutely no retribution. The issue simply fizzled out, as sometimes happened. If interest in the issue increases again, the NFL might again try and fail.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
Someone just declared victory and went on to the next shiny thing.

panda

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2019, 12:20:05 PM »
If you want to be a Stoolie and defend Dave Portnoy, that's fine with me. Really. But I also think it's easy enough to find plenty of people who know him and also dislike him (including former employees and business partners who've sued him).
But for the love of God, enough with the "Portnoy the civilian" nonsense. Portnoy the civilian and "El Presidente" who leads harassment campaigns online, threatens his critics, etc., are not two different people. It's the same guy. And your attempt to differentiate is simply a way to excuse his worst behavior. "Oh, well, that's not really Dave. That's El Prez."
Look, it's not all that unusual for a person to be friendly to his/her friends and supporters and support charitable causes. while also being an atrocious piece of sh-t to others.

AJ Daulerio?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »

It is just sitting there teed up.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
Long live KSK!
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2019, 11:11:03 PM »
This is false.

The NFL tried and failed. At least one active player is still taking a knee, collecting a large paycheck and facing absolutely no retribution. The issue simply fizzled out, as sometimes happened. If interest in the issue increases again, the NFL might again try and fail.

The NFL had over 200 players take a knee....one still does.  Their ratings have rebounded, sponsorships rebounded...as I said...the vast vast vast majority got the message.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2019, 06:18:45 AM »
The NFL had over 200 players take a knee....one still does.  Their ratings have rebounded, sponsorships rebounded...as I said...the vast vast vast majority got the message.

That is your opinion.

My opinion is that this particular protest lost steam because the reasons behind it had slipped from the headlines. If social issues resurface that energize players, they will protest again -- empowered by the fact that the NFL was unable to establish any deterrent whatsoever.

Now move along and make up another "fact" that you can argue for the sake of arguing.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2019, 06:59:41 AM »
This is false.

no no no 82, ya got it all wrong-most of the players were going to do the knee thing until their civil rights issues were attended to.  so, with the exception of reid, all the others must feel they made a difference and life is good...i guess
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2019, 07:15:25 AM »
That is your opinion.

My opinion is that this particular protest lost steam because the reasons behind it had slipped from the headlines slipped from the headlines. If social issues resurface that energize players, they will protest again -- empowered by the fact that the NFL was unable to establish any deterrent whatsoever.

Now move along and make up another "fact" that you can argue for the sake of arguing.

bingo!  so it is the so called "journalists" who control the narrative?  whatever they say or however they portray it, is gospel?  that's where the problem is.  the media coverage of "stuff" is not like if a tree falls in the woods kinda thing.  what they cover and for how long they cover it depends if it fits their belief system and the narrative they want to push.  differing degrees of censorship if you will.

so their "social issues" got all better?  cool.  waiting for them to start doing the knee thingy for things like the 7 year old girl who got shot trick or treating or the under reported rapes by illegals;  especially of children.  many of the major inner cities have become war zones for innocent, law abiding people.  that would be a good one to kneel for, just not during the anthem.  maybe a moment of silence before or after the anthem
don't...don't don't don't don't

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2019, 07:51:07 AM »

bingo!  so it is the so called "journalists" who control the narrative?  whatever they say or however they portray it, is gospel?  that's where the problem is.  the media coverage of "stuff" is not like if a tree falls in the woods kinda thing.  what they cover and for how long they cover it depends if it fits their belief system and the narrative they want to push.  differing degrees of censorship if you will.

so their "social issues" got all better?  cool.  waiting for them to start doing the knee thingy for things like the 7 year old girl who got shot trick or treating or the under reported rapes by illegals;  especially of children.  many of the major inner cities have become war zones for innocent, law abiding people.  that would be a good one to kneel for, just not during the anthem.  maybe a moment of silence before or after the anthem
Oh my god.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2019, 08:37:44 AM »

The knee “thingy” lead to this

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/1/31/16956016/colin-kaepernick-donations-full-list-of-organizations-one-million-dollars

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:39:53 AM by Uncle Rico »
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »
Long live KSK!

Long live Fire Joe Morgan

MU82

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2019, 08:42:15 AM »

In addition to completely misrepresenting what I said, this is quite a crazy diatribe, even for you.

Have a lovely weekend. Get some rest.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2019, 09:35:54 AM »
In addition to completely misrepresenting what I said, this is quite a crazy diatribe, even for you.

Have a lovely weekend. Get some rest.

It’s what happens when you watch Fox News with your MAGA hat on.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »
It’s what happens when you watch Fox News with your MAGA hat on.

Think he moved on to OAN awhile ago.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »

You take the phrase "total unnatural carnal knowledgeing whackjob" to a new level.

Pakuni

• All American

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »
Think he moved on to OAN awhile ago.

I thought he got his news from clickbait articles and "FW: FW: FW: FW:" email chains.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2019, 10:38:50 AM »
And this:

https://theundefeated.com/features/nfl-owners-approve-local-funding-social-justice-initiative-players-discuss-anthem-policy/

The idea that the NFL "made" the players stop kneeling is a fantasy.

Just hate to see those unintended consequences