[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU guards  (Read 5527 times)

tower912

• All American
MU guards
« on: October 19, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »
Howard, McEwen, Anim, Greg, Symir, Dexter.  6.   Five 6'3 or better.  All except Sacar have experience playing point.   Lots of options, lots of combinations.   But this is a roundabout way of addressing the hand wringing over the possibility of missing out on a high level recruit.  Two things come to mind.   
1.  Wojo still has other irons in the fire.
2.  If the four who aren't graduating all return, MU is still pretty solid at guard.   Go find a couple of bigs.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: MU guards
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
Howard, McEwen, Anim, Greg, Symir, Dexter.  6.   Five 6'3 or better.  All except Sacar have experience playing point.   Lots of options, lots of combinations.   But this is a roundabout way of addressing the hand wringing over the possibility of missing out on a high level recruit.  Two things come to mind.   
1.  Wojo still has other irons in the fire.
2.  If the four who aren't graduating all return, MU is still pretty solid at guard.   Go find a couple of bigs.

That's also a still fairly experienced core, less talented sure but experienced enough where I wouldn't panic for a Chartouney 2.0
Maigh Eo for Sam

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
Guards game
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 12:33:43 PM »
Wonder if Symir is still thinking about red shirting?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 08:39:16 PM »

Sure hope you're right. If Koby turns out to be the head and shoulders 2nd best guy on this year's team (what people who have watched him in practice report) and Symir is the stud most say he is you may be. I don't expect a great deal from Greg or Dexter, though. Until proven otherwise I'd be very nervous going into 20-21 with just these four..

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
I'm not at all panicked about 2020-21. We'll see what we have over the next couple months. If it doesn't go to plan, we can always look for a late blooming freshman or grad transfer. Karim Mane is still a possibility and I'd love to see the staff get after Jalen Terry. Or maybe we just redshirt Markus.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 10:38:46 PM »
Or maybe we just redshirt Markus.

🤔
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 11:49:31 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 06:47:03 AM »
you think that is starters versus bench?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2019, 03:58:01 PM »
I'm not at all panicked about 2020-21. We'll see what we have over the next couple months. If it doesn't go to plan, we can always look for a late blooming freshman or grad transfer. Karim Mane is still a possibility and I'd love to see the staff get after Jalen Terry. Or maybe we just redshirt Markus.
This year's team is loaded.  We're concerned a out next year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 04:20:26 PM »
This year's team is loaded.  We're concerned a out next year.

I'm not. I think John (Sr), McEwen (Sr), and Bailey (Jr) have the chance to be studs. Cain, Elliott, and Torrence give us options at the wings. Most teams only go 7-8 deep, so as long as 1-2 freshmen can contribute, we'll be okay. It'll probably be a step back, but that happens. Certainly not worth stressing over yet.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 06:04:31 PM »
My only concern is about 20-21 is back up center.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
My only concern is about 20-21 is back up center.

If your only concern for 20-21 is a back up center you must be very bullish on that roster (as it stands +one back up center). Question: Assuming we can fill that small void what do you expect from that team?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 06:53:07 PM »
I will let you know when (A) we see who leaves and (B) how the recruiting finishes.        However,   Theo, BB, Cain, Symir, Koby, Greg, Dexter, Lewis and Oso is a nice start.     However, if there is not another impact recruit (Dawson, Mane) or a transfer, it will probably mean a small step back.      And, if it is all freshmen and no grad transfers, that will be a very young, but talented team.     Finally, with 4 scholarships still available, if Wojo lands Dawson and/or Mane, use one on a project big, a la Theo or Heldt. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 07:03:44 PM by tower912 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2019, 07:09:39 PM »
I will let you know when (A) we see who leaves and (B) how the recruiting finishes.        However,   Theo, BB, Cain, Symir, Koby, Greg, Dexter, Lewis and Oso is a nice start.

Do you think that those 9 plus a back up C = an NCAA tournament team? I ask because anything short of that would cause me to be concerned.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 07:22:56 PM »
I know where you are going, Lenny.     So let me ask you this.    If Wojo finishes strong with this recruiting class, would you expect any program not named Duke or Kentucky to make the tournament with a team with five freshmen and two sophomores?      Any team.     Any coach not nicknamed K or Cal.      See how easy it is to look at the same set of facts from different perspectives?

But, to your question, I believe that those 9 plus a quality grad transfer with size can make the tourney.    I believe that if BB stays all 4 years, he is going to be the kind of versatile, two way forward we have been dreaming of.    I believe MU already has their PG of the future.     I believe that Theo is going to be ridiculous as a senior.   I believe that GE's presence will help restore Cain's confidence and he will be the sharp shooting wing we saw glimpses of as a freshman.     The problem is that even if all that pans out, the team will still have to rely on freshmen producing right away.   

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 08:06:34 PM »
I know where you are going, Lenny.     So let me ask you this.    If Wojo finishes strong with this recruiting class, would you expect any program not named Duke or Kentucky to make the tournament with a team with five freshmen and two sophomores?      Any team.     Any coach not nicknamed K or Cal.      See how easy it is to look at the same set of facts from different perspectives?

But, to your question, I believe that those 9 plus a quality grad transfer with size can make the tourney.    I believe that if BB stays all 4 years, he is going to be the kind of versatile, two way forward we have been dreaming of.    I believe MU already has their PG of the future.     I believe that Theo is going to be ridiculous as a senior.   I believe that GE's presence will help restore Cain's confidence and he will be the sharp shooting wing we saw glimpses of as a freshman.     The problem is that even if all that pans out, the team will still have to rely on freshmen producing right away.

OK, thanks for your thoughts. I absolutely hope your projections for our guys are accurate. I'm not there yet.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 10:54:48 PM »
OK, thanks for your thoughts. I absolutely hope your projections for our guys are accurate. I'm not there yet.

By January you will be half-in
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
By January you will be half-in

If I'm half in I'm deeper than you are all in.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 12:27:15 AM »
If I'm half in I'm deeper than you are all in.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.