collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Attending MU game in Madison  (Read 7711 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Attending MU game in Madison
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:48 AM »
Anyone who's gone before, what is the atmosphere like for visiting MU fans?   I have an opportunity for tickets, but I'm not sure if I want to put up with verbal assaults or other such tomfoolery during the game.  Well, good natured ribbing and banter is fine, but not when people actually get nasty to visiting fans.

So how is it really?    The seats would be midcourt upper section (in 300's) in one of the first rows.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Attending MU game in Madison
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »
I've been three times.  Two Marquette victories and one loss.  Although I have had a couple "sideways looks" and some good natured banter, I have never been verbally assaulted or anything like that.  Either at the game or pre or post game at the bars / restaurants.  It's a pretty tame atmosphere.

Plenty of Marquette people are usually around too.  Wear gold if you do go.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:57:06 AM »
It's fine, they're harmless.  I've gone to almost every MU game in Madison since 1993 and never had a problem.  With the game at noon on a Sunday, most of them will still be hungover from the UW/Nebraska game the day before.

I've actually had more problems with Badger fans at the games in Milwaukee.  That game seems to draw more of the younger, belligerent UW fans that just graduated and took a job in Milwaukee and are shocked to find out everyone in the state isn't a Badger fan.  Games in Madison are more of the sweater-vest Mom & Pop type fans that have had season tickets forever.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:06:37 AM »
It was fine the one time I went.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »
I've been 3 times and only had a problem once.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 11:40:36 AM »
Anyone who's gone before, what is the atmosphere like for visiting MU fans?   I have an opportunity for tickets, but I'm not sure if I want to put up with verbal assaults or other such tomfoolery during the game.  Well, good natured ribbing and banter is fine, but not when people actually get nasty to visiting fans.

So how is it really?    The seats would be midcourt upper section (in 300's) in one of the first rows.
These are Madison season ticket holders, not Milwaukee Badger fans. I've been to the MU at UW games about seven times and about two Panther games in Madison. Atmosphere is pretty great, the MU fans while in the numbers about 600 people can make some noise. There shouldn't be any verbal assaults.

For the right price, my plan is for the wife and I to be there on Nov. 17th.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:45:28 AM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
Have you seen a game  at the Kohl Hole?

It's the night of the living dead.

You'll be fine, even in the student section.  I have buddies that did the whole pull off their windbreakers at the start of the game to show the yellow shirts and they werent hassled beyond a few boos and F yous.

The acoustics of the Kohl make "we are marquette" sound like Carnegie hall after another warrior beat down of the badgers

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
Appreciate the feedback!   Sounds like Badger fans at home games vs in Milwaukee are as different as Cubs fans at Wriggley vs Miller Park.   :D

Goose

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
Been to 75+% of the MU/UW games in Madison since '70's and love the experience. Things have changed over the years but still love heading to Madison for the game. My advice---never pass up tickets for the game in Madison.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »
It was fine the one time I went.

the only issue I ever had at a game I was just as responsible for causing as the Badger fan and Mr. Bud Weiser were.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
the only issue I ever had at a game I was just as responsible for causing as the Badger fan and Mr. Bud Weiser were.

Yeah I got a lot of middle fingers thrown into my face and "eff you's" as Madison students filed out of their seats after Dominic James swatted what was a meaningless shot at the buzzer in a 7-ish point win at the Kohl Hole.  But I, along with 2 other Marquette freshman, were sitting 10 rows up in the middle of their student section on an aisle wearing gold and had snuck a sign in (they don't allow signs in the Kohl Hole, or at least that's what we were told) with a picture of Brian Butch in some woman's bra winking and doing a finger gun at the camera that said, "Brian Butch, 2003 McDonald's All American, 2008 McDonald's Employee."  We got what we deserved, and we got a win.  It was one of the more fun nights in my time at Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 03:13:45 PM »
Yeah I got a lot of middle fingers thrown into my face and "eff you's" as Madison students filed out of their seats after Dominic James swatted what was a meaningless shot at the buzzer in a 7-ish point win at the Kohl Hole.  But I, along with 2 other Marquette freshman, were sitting 10 rows up in the middle of their student section on an aisle wearing gold and had snuck a sign in (they don't allow signs in the Kohl Hole, or at least that's what we were told) with a picture of Brian Butch in some woman's bra winking and doing a finger gun at the camera that said, "Brian Butch, 2003 McDonald's All American, 2008 McDonald's Employee."  We got what we deserved, and we got a win.  It was one of the more fun nights in my time at Marquette.

I remember that.  Was in a box, people were pissed about that too.

Msybe badger fans are just pissed?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »

Haha...classic!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »
Appreciate the feedback!   Sounds like Badger fans at home games vs in Milwaukee are as different as Cubs fans at Wriggley vs Miller Park.   :D

Yeah, Brewer fans are much bigger dicks than Badger fans. <ducks>

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »
Definitely go.  It's a great atmosphere.  You'll see a lot of friendly faces from both sides of the aisle.  Get to 'Gritty early.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 06:04:32 PM »
Been there over a dozen times. No problem at all.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »
Was in a box

Pretty rare occurrence for u, @1na?

I got into it with students the one time I sat in the student section. Was pretty entertaining. They did not like my “pub-lic schoo-oool” chant
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 06:34:04 PM »
Bingo!
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 07:13:36 PM »
Definitely go.  It's a great atmosphere.  You'll see a lot of friendly faces from both sides of the aisle.  Get to 'Gritty early.

Gritty?  Lame.

Main Depot or bust.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 08:39:49 PM »
Ewe hostin' yo semi-annual byo bash at yo crib dis yer four all Scoop fateful, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 08:50:01 PM »
Ewe hostin' yo semi-annual byo bash at yo crib dis yer four all Scoop fateful, hey?

byom
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 09:26:35 PM »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 09:41:59 PM »
For those interested, the pre game party is at Wando's.  https://alumni.marquette.edu/mu-vs-wi-2019?srctid=1&erid=80c3d575-fdb6-4de6-9949-694cb871a42b&trid=80c3d575-fdb6-4de6-9949-694cb871a42b

I'm 3-1 all time there, lost the D Wade "wipe away" game.  End up sitting by lots of old people for some reason.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »
Wandos is good.

Never a problem at the game.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 08:59:05 AM »
My experience, act respectful and you'll be treated with respect.

I've been to the last 4 or 5 games in Madison, but both of my ticket connections gave up their season tickets.  Looks like I won't be able to make this year.