[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Merrimack Warriors beat Northwestern in hoops tonight  (Read 7483 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Merrimack beats Northwestern in hoops tonight
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2019, 09:04:44 PM »
The elite players can get in anywhere, because that’s how it works.  They will largely go to the blueblood last or where Penny and others are writing goodwill checks.  It is the next level kids, 3 and 4 star backbone of program type kids that not all schools are not always as willing to just grant passage. 

There are exceptions like Stanford and a few others.  The CPL isn’t exactly known for educational prowess which also hasn’t helped.

As Charles Barkley said when asked how he got into college “I averaged 20 points and 20 rebounds, I was gonna get into college. Someone can find a place for me.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Listing the Blackhawks with 3 cups in the last decade, and the Bulls who are probably the 3rd most successful NBA franchise and who have been rough but were the second best team in the East just 5ish years ago isn’t a great argument for trying to imply it’s a city with a culture of failure

Not in the last 20 years. Blackhawks also fell of of a cliff.

I do realize how lucky we are in Wisconsin. Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Warriors, UW football.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2019, 11:50:51 PM »

I do realize how lucky we are in Wisconsin. Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Warriors, UW football.

In the last 20 years only one of those teams has a championship (Packers). The next closest is Bucky hoops losing to Duke in the finals. What’s so lucky about that?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2019, 12:40:21 AM »

Calling out the Bulls and Hawks and praising those teams seems like an odd take.  Since 1990 the Chicago teams have won a combined 11 championships.  It isn't what Boston has done, but it's pretty darn strong. 

And I NW sports are barely part of the consciousness of the Chicago sports fan.   College sports in general aren't big in Illinois (in terms of loyalty to the state schools anyway).  There isn't the bond with the state teams that places like Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Iowa have.  I would say the only college sports team that has a large following in Illinois (and Chicago area) is ND football.  They suck.  I know.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2019, 07:41:41 AM »
Calling out the Bulls and Hawks and praising those teams seems like an odd take.  Since 1990 the Chicago teams have won a combined 11 championships.  It isn't what Boston has done, but it's pretty darn strong. 

And I NW sports are barely part of the consciousness of the Chicago sports fan.   College sports in general aren't big in Illinois (in terms of loyalty to the state schools anyway).  There isn't the bond with the state teams that places like Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio and Iowa have.  I would say the only college sports team that has a large following in Illinois (and Chicago area) is ND football.  They suck.  I know.

illinois does have a pretty large following but that has been quite subdued since they haven't had anything substantial for quite a while.  with the exception of their golf team(thank you steve stricker) and beating wisconsin a couple of weeks ago.  otherwise, illini alumni and fans have better things to do until their school makes it worth their while
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Merrimack Warriors beat Northwestern in hoops tonight
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2019, 07:51:30 AM »
If the state hadn't used their land grant money to put the school in the middle of nowhere, it might be different.  If it was located in Joliet or something similar, I think it would be more front of mind to the people of Chicago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »
If the state hadn't used their land grant money to put the school in the middle of nowhere, it might be different.  If it was located in Joliet or something similar, I think it would be more front of mind to the people of Chicago.

well we see how that hot bed of chicago(joliet is about 50 miles) is recruiting and/or keeping their elite talent close to home.  bottom line-ya gotta produce.  the fans are there, but have better things to do with their time besides getting stuck in traffic
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2019, 10:01:07 AM »
In the last 20 years only one of those teams has a championship (Packers). The next closest is Bucky hoops losing to Duke in the finals. What’s so lucky about that?

I was not delving into the history of any league or team. I was talking current times. Go ahead and live off the ‘85 Bears for 30 more years. Tell yourselves that a team with Jim McMahon at QB that had had a one year championship run was one of the greatest teams ever.

We have contenders everywhere. Illinois has .... the Cubs, I guess. One decent underperforming team.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »

I was not delving into the history of any league or team. I was talking current times. Go ahead and live off the ‘85 Bears for 30 more years. Tell yourselves that a team with Jim McMahon at QB that had had a one year championship run was one of the greatest teams ever.

We have contenders everywhere. Illinois has .... the Cubs, I guess. One decent underperforming team.

Who is the WE?  Baltimore?  Toronto?   Say hello to the Mrs...hope she is reading...hello Mrs Brandx
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »

? Only one of those teams has had a continuing amount of success

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
? Only one of those teams has had a continuing amount of success

One more time.

I SPECIFICALLY pointed out that I am referring to a current point in time. NOT a "continuing amount of success".

I don't know how else to phrase it to get you people to understand what I am saying.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2019, 11:10:41 PM »

I’m not a fan of any Chicago team. No ties to that city. However, at least they’ve win titles within the last five years. Meanwhile, the Packers have wasted two of the best QB’s in history with only 2 titles in 27 years.  And you’ve got “the Brewers lost to the eventual World Series champs in the wild card.” They won as much as the team we don’t have in my city won: nothing.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2019, 08:34:11 AM »
I am much more partial to the Monitor. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

You could've ended it with the first sentence, but you went all in with the second.  I like it.  Respect.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2019, 09:44:32 AM »
I’m not a fan of any Chicago team. No ties to that city. However, at least they’ve win titles within the last five years. Meanwhile, the Packers have wasted two of the best QB’s in history with only 2 titles in 27 years.  And you’ve got “the Brewers lost to the eventual World Series champs in the wild card.” They won as much as the team we don’t have in my city won: nothing.

27 years?

I guess reading comprehension is not one of your strengths.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2019, 11:00:25 AM »
One more time.

I SPECIFICALLY pointed out that I am referring to a current point in time. NOT a "continuing amount of success".

I don't know how else to phrase it to get you people to understand what I am saying.

What is this "current period" the seasons that ended in 19? where brewers flopped in the wild card, bucks choked their biggest playoff run since ray Allen was young, and packers were awful? Or the seasons ending in 20 that haven't finished yet?

If you leave something as subjective as "Current period" then PF course you always win this argument. Is it a better time to be a MKE/WI fan than Chicago? Yes. But anybody over the age of 18 would probably say it's generally been better to be a Chicago fan.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 01:29:37 PM »
What is this "current period" the seasons that ended in 19? where brewers flopped in the wild card, bucks choked their biggest playoff run since ray Allen was young, and packers were awful? Or the seasons ending in 20 that haven't finished yet?

If you leave something as subjective as "Current period" then PF course you always win this argument. Is it a better time to be a MKE/WI fan than Chicago? Yes. But anybody over the age of 18 would probably say it's generally been better to be a Chicago fan.

You captured the essence of what I meant when you said "Is it a better time to be a MKE/WI fan than Chicago? Yes."

THAT WAS MY POINT.

You asked what is this current period. Maybe it's my fault for not saying it right. The "current period" is NOW. Right now, on November 11, I have reasonable high expectations for the Packers, Bucks, Brewers, MU, and UW football that all can/will be playoff caliber teams.

People in Illinois (which is what I was comparing it to) have a reasonable expectation of success (from today's vantage point) of whom? Just the Cubs and most fans that I hear on sports radio are even down on them. Does anyone think the Bulls, Blackhawks, White Sox, Northwestern, U of Illinois have any chance of immediate success?

So, one last time. I am not talking about a championship from 34 years ago or 20 years ago or 3 years ago. I am talking about looking forward from TODAY.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 01:39:03 PM »
You captured the essence of what I meant when you said "Is it a better time to be a MKE/WI fan than Chicago? Yes."

THAT WAS MY POINT.

You asked what is this current period. Maybe it's my fault for not saying it right. The "current period" is NOW. Right now, on November 11, I have reasonable high expectations for the Packers, Bucks, Brewers, MU, and UW football that all can/will be playoff caliber teams.

People in Illinois (which is what I was comparing it to) have a reasonable expectation of success (from today's vantage point) of whom? Just the Cubs and most fans that I hear on sports radio are even down on them. Does anyone think the Bulls, Blackhawks, White Sox, Northwestern, U of Illinois have any chance of immediate success?

So, one last time. I am not talking about a championship from 34 years ago or 20 years ago or 3 years ago. I am talking about looking forward from TODAY.

Wolves are considerably better than the admirals. First in division last year lost in the finals so there's that.

Also I'd say the Sox are more likely to be trending up the next few years than the cubs. But yes it was not said right and that's why so many people started hollering.

I would never count the Hawks out though, Kane and Toews still have a few good years left and the other massive contracts are still able to be unloaded. If the penguins can rebuild around Crosby to get him another cup the Hawks can do the same.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2019, 02:00:52 PM »
Wolves are considerably better than the admirals. First in division last year lost in the finals so there's that.

Also I'd say the Sox are more likely to be trending up the next few years than the cubs. But yes it was not said right and that's why so many people started hollering.

I would never count the Hawks out though, Kane and Toews still have a few good years left and the other massive contracts are still able to be unloaded. If the penguins can rebuild around Crosby to get him another cup the Hawks can do the same.

Thanks, Galway.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 11:18:40 AM »

I'm a Packer fan who grew up in Wisconsin, living in Chicago, who also cheers for the Blackhawks.

This kinda homer stuff just makes me laugh. Chicago and Wisconsin are completely different sports environments. In some ways Wisconsin is better, in many ways Chicago is better.

Chicago has way more options....MLS, 2 MLB teams, NHL (with 6 stanley cups), NFL, NBA (6 championships), etc. It has one of the two most iconic ballparks and gameday experiences in baseball, the other being fenway (I am not a Cubs fan btw). And this team won a World Series in 2016. Couple that with the fact that Chicago is a Big 10 alumni's wet dream with all of the college sports bars throughout the city. The local college team (NW) sucks, but it is a great place to be a young Big 10 alumni.

Wisconsin has the Packers. Which is a historic and great franchise with an equally impressive gameday experience. It has the Bucks who have been good lately but languished for years. And it has the Brewers who have won 1 pennant in 40 years. UW Football is an above average Big 10 program. Chicago is just as close to Notre Dame as most Wisconsinites are to Madison. As much as I loathe ND, it is definitely a Chicago home team with lots of tradition and success.

I guess my point is, no one is really "luckier" than the other. Both are decent sports markets but are completely different. Fans of either side who think they are better than the other are equally delusional.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 11:25:42 AM by Coleman »

PorkysButthole

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 08:18:41 PM »
Surprised no mention has been made of Northwestern’s W over Providence last night.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 09:38:04 PM »
Surprised no mention has been made of Northwestern’s W over Providence last night.

It was mentioned in the BEast thread in the Al.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback