[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Oh, Bother.  (Read 11130 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Oh, Bother.
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
So does this mean Scoop is blocked in China?
Anyone here ever try to access Scoop while traveling over there?

I havent had any issues.  Ive logged into Scoop from Shenzhen, Shanghai, and Chengdu.  But after this, all bets may be off ;D

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »
Wonder how DWade will react?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2019, 03:00:49 PM »
Interesting rumors coming out of HK.....there are starting to be indications that China is going to declare that HK must follow Chinese data sovereignty rules starting January 1st. For the uninitiated, amongst a lot of other IP concerns this would require any one that stores or transits data within HK to turn their encryption keys over to the Chinese government. Meaning the can read anyone's email, look at anyone's bank accounts, look at any companies big data set, etc.

Given the financial and tech companies with operations in HK this could turn into a big, big problem. My company is already making moves to off shore our AP data center from HK to somewhere else in the region.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2019, 03:29:59 PM »
Interesting rumors coming out of HK.....there are starting to be indications that China is going to declare that HK must follow Chinese data sovereignty rules starting January 1st. For the uninitiated, amongst a lot of other IP concerns this would require any one that stores or transits data within HK to turn their encryption keys over to the Chinese government. Meaning the can read anyone's email, look at anyone's bank accounts, look at any companies big data set, etc.

Given the financial and tech companies with operations in HK this could turn into a big, big problem. My company is already making moves to off shore our AP data center from HK to somewhere else in the region.

I said early on that Chinese aggression starting with the extradition stuff would mean the end of HK as a business hub, and this solidifies it.  China has pushed Shanghai as a center for that kind of stuff, but its never been a global financial center like HK.  And it never will be with that sort of oversight.  Wild times.  Ive been to HK 10+ times since 2016 with a regular cadence and at this point, I'm not sure when I'll be back.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »
Yep, HK is now just another Chinese city.  Very sad, because it was always a very unique, very special place.  I know hundreds of people who got out before 97... they all predicted exactly what is happening. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2019, 08:45:06 PM »
my nephew, who is an animator for south park said it's bat chit crazy over there.  during the 2016 election, matt and trey were under strict orders-nothing about HC.  so i'm a little surprised comedy central let this one fly
don't...don't don't don't don't

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
my nephew, who is an animator for south park said it's bat chit crazy over there.  during the 2016 election, matt and trey were under strict orders-nothing about HC.  so i'm a little surprised comedy central let this one fly

South Park isn't bound by cc. Everyone knows trey and park don't need cc and don't need South Park. If cc were to tell them to stop they would move to any none it's channel they wanted and it would be the biggest bid war in all of cable history

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2019, 10:21:45 PM »

Hillary appeared as a character also known as Turd Sandwich in the weeks before the 2016 election.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 11:17:20 PM »
Was surprised Steve Kerr didn’t have a comment...he normally is not short of those...
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2019, 05:15:41 AM »
Hillary appeared as a character also known as Turd Sandwich in the weeks before the 2016 election.

But did you know?  His nephew is an animator.  So he knows.

Well except 4 episodes in 2016.

https://wiki.southpark.cc.com/wiki/Hillary_Clinton

strict orders and all.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2019, 05:19:41 AM »
South Park isn't bound by cc. Everyone knows trey and park don't need cc and don't need South Park. If cc were to tell them to stop they would move to any none it's channel they wanted and it would be the biggest bid war in all of cable history

everyone knows this?  and i supposed everyone knew they were going to re-sign with comedy central and not go off and start their own network as well

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2019, 06:08:27 AM »

you're right on that one pakman, they must have got it o.k'd because it had some balance with the "giant douche" and the "turd sandwich",  but i know for a fact that after the election, trey and matt held a meeting in which elon musk was present(don't know why) in which they apologized for some of the rejected material which led to more close calls than usual to get the show in by the deadline.  and yes, it was mainly because of some "restricted content" they had to change at the last minute.  they just announced a renewal for seasons 24-26 a few weeks ago- let's just say comedy central didn't want to repeat the mistakes of abc and i will bet matt and trey have a little more leeway going forward

and yes, contrary to what mr cain seems to be all knowing on, comedy central is not his strong point.  CC does have a say in some of their stuff just as any network has a say in what is aired...right tim allen?  abc sure didn't cancel "last man standing" after season 6 for a lack of viewership.  i guess they just couldn't afford the production costs though, right cain?  fox broadcasting picked it up for season 7 faster than a nickle harlot on 47th and cicero and has just started season 8. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2019, 08:08:54 AM »
  you're right on that one pakman, they must have got it o.k'd because it had some balance with the "giant douche" and the "turd sandwich",  but i know for a fact that after the election, trey and matt held a meeting in which elon musk was present(don't know why) in which they apologized for some of the rejected material which led to more close calls than usual to get the show in by the deadline.  and yes, it was mainly because of some "restricted content" they had to change at the last minute.  they just announced a renewal for seasons 24-26 a few weeks ago- let's just say comedy central didn't want to repeat the mistakes of abc and i will bet matt and trey have a little more leeway going forward

and yes, contrary to what mr cain seems to be all knowing on, comedy central is not his strong point.  CC does have a say in some of their stuff just as any network has a say in what is aired...right tim allen?  abc sure didn't cancel "last man standing" after season 6 for a lack of viewership.  i guess they just couldn't afford the production costs though, right cain?  fox broadcasting picked it up for season 7 faster than a nickle harlot on 47th and cicero and has just started season 8. 

::)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
Yep, HK is now just another Chinese city.  Very sad, because it was always a very unique, very special place.  I know hundreds of people who got out before 97... they all predicted exactly what is happening.

Yeah it may even end up worse than that because as the global eye turns away from HK the Chinese government will absolutely crack down and HK will have little to know business or economic value in the world at large. The Chinese government wants to bring the HK workload to Shanghai.

I just want to know where all the people are to decry Chinese totalitarianism....mostly tripping over themselves trying to get into the Chinese market I guess
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2019, 09:03:08 AM »
I’m old enough to remember as a high school student when the UK and China agreed to a transfer where Ho g Kong would no longer be a British colony and become property of China.  That was the mid 80’s and the transfer was the late 90’s.  There were many people concerned this would end up going south eventually.

I cannot remember the deal details, but I thought China had to promise to preserve HK the way it was economically and politically for a long period of time....like 50yrs..75yrs...cannot recall.

Will they hold up their end of the bargain.  Back in the day the folks that were against the transfer said no.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2019, 09:40:09 AM »
It was 50 years.

And remember that the UK only held a lease on Hong Kong until the late 90s.  China had made it known in the mid 80s that they would consider taking HK by force when the lease was up, so the UK didn't have a lot of leverage.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
In 1898, China leased HK to GB for 99 years in partial settlement over losing the first opium war with GB....

over Tea, and over GB's insistence on making payment for tea by its forced importing of narcotic opium to the Chinese...who became hooked. Dope for tea. GB was a drug pusher

In 1984 (M Thatcher) negotiated the terms of the ending/turnover of their colony of HK to the Chinese, per the 99 year lease ending. Hong Kong would remain a semi-autonomous region (free port with a separate customs territory,capitalism, democratic)  for a 50-year period after the lease ended on July 1, 1997 .

Now, GB could likely argue the turnover treaty is being broken almost 30 years early by the Chinese...but to what end? They aren't getting HK back and ....

most folks nowadays frown on govt promoted sales of opium. Well....To an extent....

China makes and sells the more powerful fentanyl, and in the USA,  opium sales are a capitalist boom to the pharmaceutical industry.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2019, 06:44:19 PM »
But did you know?  His nephew is an animator.  So he knows.

Well except 4 episodes in 2016.

https://wiki.southpark.cc.com/wiki/Hillary_Clinton

strict orders and all.

Feel better that you got your little jab in BrY?  Maybe someday even you might meet someone cool.  No, your 5th grade reading tutor, your drug dealers and probation agents don’t count

They(SP) were restricted with some material re cankles.  Waiting to hear back from him on an update and I will clarify the situation.

The only reason I used my nephew as a source was to qualify my comment. And yes I am kinda geeked and proud of him working there. Very very talented self taught artist from Wisconsin.  He’s been working on a South Park video game as well. Showed me how complicated it was to create etc etc. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »
Feel better that you got your little jab in BrY?  Maybe someday even you might meet someone cool.  No, your 5th grade reading tutor, your drug dealers and probation agents don’t count

They(SP) were restricted with some material re cankles.  Waiting to hear back from him on an update and I will clarify the situation.

The only reason I used my nephew as a source was to qualify my comment. And yes I am kinda geeked and proud of him working there. Very very talented self taught artist from Wisconsin.  He’s been working on a South Park video game as well. Showed me how complicated it was to create etc etc.

Its an awesome job no doubt.  I have SERIOUS doubts that they weren't allowed to talk about Hillary's cankles... since they made an entire episode about her vagina.

But hey man, whatever you gotta push.

Regarding your sad insults... bro, I'm not the one that has problems typing in complete sentences... So maybe pick something else?  My long hair is played out, I've never been into drugs, and you can easily find out if I've been arrested (I haven't) since you're so obsessed with stalking me online.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2019, 07:45:27 PM »

The only thing CC has EVER censored from south park was the Muhammed episode. Which was done without approval from the SP creators. This sparked a very large argument between the two and if I remember correctly Trey and Matt stopped creating episodes for a few weeks afterwards.

Matt and Trey do NOT need SP. They are very successful in other ventures. They only produce it because they find enjoyment out of it. I would be willing to bet a fairly large sum that if CC were to ever start censoring Trey and Matt on things such as cankles then they would stop producing episodes then and there.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2019, 08:12:40 PM »
SP wasn’t censored. Made-up story. Typical conspiratorial paranoia around HRC, who people in my Republican Party are just obsessed with.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2019, 08:31:00 PM »
Its an awesome job no doubt.  I have SERIOUS doubts that they weren't allowed to talk about Hillary's cankles... since they made an entire episode about her vagina.

But hey man, whatever you gotta push.

Regarding your sad insults... bro, I'm not the one that has problems typing in complete sentences... So maybe pick something else?  My long hair is played out, I've never been into drugs, and you can easily find out if I've been arrested (I haven't) since you're so obsessed with stalking me online.

I just talked to him, he said it’s Viacom(owns CC) that tells trey and Matt how far they can push the envelope.  I don’t know why you feel the need to doubt that that. If you have proof that this doesn’t happen, then I’m all ears.  As I said, “last man standing” was another one the big guys didn’t like what they were hearing. Speaking of Hong Kong, we have some of that right here.

I can turn on the grammar and all that bullschmit when I need to...and on scoop, I don’t need to.  It’s how I roll man. Stalking?  Umm, no, don’t flatter yourself so much

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2019, 09:56:15 PM »
Looks like teams are already prepping for a significant salary cap hit next year. 15% according to this.

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1182092945366962177?s=21

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2019, 11:53:07 PM »
I just talked to him, he said it’s Viacom(owns CC) that tells trey and Matt how far they can push the envelope.  I don’t know why you feel the need to doubt that that. If you have proof that this doesn’t happen, then I’m all ears.  As I said, “last man standing” was another one the big guys didn’t like what they were hearing. Speaking of Hong Kong, we have some of that right here.

I can turn on the grammar and all that bullschmit when I need to...and on scoop, I don’t need to.  It’s how I roll man. Stalking?  Umm, no, don’t flatter yourself so much

Semantics.  There’s a clause in the contract that basically says “Matt and Trey can’t cross the line.”  Viacom is constantly telling CC and SPS where that line is subject to their own interpretation; if Matt and Trey disagree, they can put the line wherever they want. 

If there’s a dispute, it’s up to an administrative judge to decide.  But it’s neither gone that far, nor will it, because all four parties have more to lose by sending it to court than they do if they just let it go for that week. 

Besides, public controversy sans court action is very lucrative for everyone involved these days.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2019, 12:07:26 AM »
Looks like teams are already prepping for a significant salary cap hit next year. 15% according to this.

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1182092945366962177?s=21

If they have to actually do this, it can fundamentally change the league in a lot of ways. 

It might even lead to a player strike.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.